Community Discussions and Support
Damaged folder - reindexing get stuck in endless loop?

One particular folder appears to be damaged : the error message indicates that I might be possible to reindex the folder in order to repair it. If I try to do that, I get an seemingly endless series of popups that require the user to press "OK" to close it. After having done that for 200 times, I decided to stop and kill the Pegasus process using the task manager. Is there a better way to repair or reindex a folder? The folder was fine yesterday, but is somehow damaged today.

One particular folder appears to be damaged : the error message indicates that I might be possible to reindex the folder in order to repair it. If I try to do that, I get an seemingly endless series of popups that require the user to press "OK" to close it. After having done that for 200 times, I decided to stop and kill the Pegasus process using the task manager. Is there a better way to repair or reindex a folder? The folder was fine yesterday, but is somehow damaged today.

If the folder is huge, confirm that its file has not reached the 2GB size limit. To find its filename, right-click on the folder in the folder list and then select "Folder information". Use a file explorer to check the size of the .PMM file referenced.

If file size is not the problem, two options come to mind.

1. Create a new folder and then copy all the messages from the damaged folder to the new folder. Once you are comfortable that you have all of the messages copied, delete the damaged folder.

2. There is a mailbox maintenance tool included with Pegasus Mail called mbxmaint_ui.exe. One of its capabilities is to repair a folder. It also contains a 'Check' option which I prefer to do first before jumping to a repair. You will need to know the directory of your mailbox and the filename of the damaged folder. Use mbxmaint_ui.exe it with Pegasus Mail closed. It resides in the Pegasus Mail \Programs directory.

If the folder is huge, confirm that its file has not reached the 2GB size limit. To find its filename, right-click on the folder in the folder list and then select "Folder information". Use a file explorer to check the size of the .PMM file referenced. If file size is not the problem, two options come to mind. 1. Create a new folder and then copy all the messages from the damaged folder to the new folder. Once you are comfortable that you have all of the messages copied, delete the damaged folder. 2. There is a mailbox maintenance tool included with Pegasus Mail called mbxmaint_ui.exe. One of its capabilities is to repair a folder. It also contains a 'Check' option which I prefer to do first before jumping to a repair. You will need to know the directory of your mailbox and the filename of the damaged folder. Use mbxmaint_ui.exe it with Pegasus Mail closed. It resides in the Pegasus Mail \Programs directory.

The file size is 85 Mb, so well within the 2 Gb limit. I will try the second option, followed by the first. I think that I will make a backup of the folder so that there is a copy of the original data when things go wrong.

The file size is 85 Mb, so well within the 2 Gb limit. I will try the second option, followed by the first. I think that I will make a backup of the folder so that there is a copy of the original data when things go wrong.

I just repaired the file with the mbx_maint_ui.exe tool. It took quite a long time and I was beginning to think that the process had crashed. However, eventually it finished and reported no more errors. When I opened the folder again in Pegasus, it contained about 10.000 new entries/messages, all of them empty. I deleted those, then moved the recovered messages to a new folder.
Thanks for the help !

I just repaired the file with the mbx_maint_ui.exe tool. It took quite a long time and I was beginning to think that the process had crashed. However, eventually it finished and reported no more errors. When I opened the folder again in Pegasus, it contained about 10.000 new entries/messages, all of them empty. I deleted those, then moved the recovered messages to a new folder. Thanks for the help !

I think that I will make a backup of the folder so that there is a copy of the original data when things go wrong

Ahh, you are a pessimist like me. A backup is always prudent.
I will feel really bad if things go wrong.

[quote="pid:56054, uid:39382"]I think that I will make a backup of the folder so that there is a copy of the original data when things go wrong[/quote] Ahh, you are a pessimist like me. A backup is always prudent. I will feel really bad if things go wrong.

After fixing my faulty folder, I decided to check all other folders as well. Turns out that more were damaged. Some needed new ID's to be assigned, others required re-indexing. Everything was fixed, but for any emails the title is displayed incorrectly (showing all ASCII codes, I think)

After fixing my faulty folder, I decided to check all other folders as well. Turns out that more were damaged. Some needed new ID's to be assigned, others required re-indexing. Everything was fixed, but for any emails the title is displayed incorrectly (showing all ASCII codes, I think)

Is this happening in every folder or just ones that you fixed?

If just some folders, what happens when you copy one of those messages to a folder that is displaying properly?

Have both Pegasus Mail and the PC been restarted?

Is this happening in every folder or just ones that you fixed? If just some folders, what happens when you copy one of those messages to a folder that is displaying properly? Have both Pegasus Mail and the PC been restarted?
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft