Community Discussions and Support
Upgrade renderer blocked

Windows 11 is preventuing upgrade of renderer. The Smartscreen is not offering the option to 'run anyway'. I use Zone Alarm so I am assuming Windows Defender should not be doing this.

Windows 11 is preventuing upgrade of renderer. The Smartscreen is not offering the option to 'run anyway'. I use Zone Alarm so I am assuming Windows Defender should not be doing this.
edited Oct 29 '23 at 6:30 pm

I use Zone Alarm so I am assuming Windows Defender should not be doing this.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what this is supposed to mean: What is "this"? And how would Zone Alarm affect Windows Defender? And if it does what about white listing IER's installer? Or give it a try with ZA temporarily disabled?

[quote="pid:56065, uid:29347"]I use Zone Alarm so I am assuming Windows Defender should not be doing this.[/quote] I'm sorry, but I don't understand what this is supposed to mean: What is "this"? And how would Zone Alarm affect Windows Defender? And if it does what about white listing IER's installer? Or give it a try with ZA temporarily disabled?
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
edited Oct 29 '23 at 10:45 pm

I also find it surprising the Windows Defender Smartscreen was not disabled by ZoneAlarm but that is beyond the scope of this forum. Actually, the question is a Windows Defender and/or ZA question. That said, you can check to see if you can "Unblock" the IER installer file by right-clicking on the IERendererSetup.exe file, selecting the Properties option, then looking for an Unblock tickbox at the bottom of that screen. If it exists, tick it, Apply the change, try to run it.

I also find it surprising the Windows Defender Smartscreen was not disabled by ZoneAlarm but that is beyond the scope of this forum. Actually, the question is a Windows Defender and/or ZA question. That said, you can check to see if you can "Unblock" the IER installer file by right-clicking on the IERendererSetup.exe file, selecting the Properties option, then looking for an Unblock tickbox at the bottom of that screen. If it exists, tick it, Apply the change, try to run it.

That said, you can check to see if you can "Unblock" the IER installer file by right-clicking on the IERendererSetup.exe file, selecting the Properties option, then looking for an Unblock tickbox at the bottom of that screen. If it exists, tick it, Apply the change, try to run it.

Please let us know whether this works for you, davpark, so I can add this information to the download hints on IER's homepage.

[quote="pid:56069, uid:28772"]That said, you can check to see if you can "Unblock" the IER installer file by right-clicking on the IERendererSetup.exe file, selecting the Properties option, then looking for an Unblock tickbox at the bottom of that screen. If it exists, tick it, Apply the change, try to run it.[/quote] Please let us know whether this works for you, davpark, so I can add this information to the download hints on IER's homepage.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Thank you for the replies. I have now discovered that smart screen can be disabled in Settings (Reputation Based Protection Settings) and that has worked. I was following advice that Window Defender if not disabled could block the app and expected to see 'run anyway' on the smart screen. Zone Alarm does partly disable Defender but not apparently the smartscreen function. There was nothing in the setup properties box to help.

Thank you for the replies. I have now discovered that smart screen can be disabled in Settings (Reputation Based Protection Settings) and that has worked. I was following advice that Window Defender if not disabled could block the app and expected to see 'run anyway' on the smart screen. Zone Alarm does partly disable Defender but not apparently the smartscreen function. There was nothing in the setup properties box to help.

I was following advice that Window Defender if not disabled could block the app and expected to see 'run anyway' on the smart screen.

Did you click "More info" like shown on the first Defender screen? Only after doing so it will show the "Run anyway" button. That's called security by obscurity by some well known people out there ...

[quote="pid:56071, uid:29347"]I was following advice that Window Defender if not disabled could block the app and expected to see 'run anyway' on the smart screen.[/quote] Did you click "More info" like shown on the first Defender screen? Only after doing so it will show the "Run anyway" button. That's called _security by obscurity_ by some well known people out there ... https://www.pmpgp.de/renderer/SmartScreen.jpg
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Oct 31 '23 at 12:21 am

Neither had buttons.

Ok, that's weird ... I'll add further hints to the download info.

[quote="pid:56073, uid:29347"]Neither had buttons.[/quote] Ok, that's weird ... I'll add further hints to the download info.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Oct 31 '23 at 2:53 pm

As I understand it, the right-click> Properties > Unlock should create an exception rather than globally disabiing the Reputation Based Protection Setting so I just want to make certain that when this was attempted, it was done on the extracted IERenderSetup.exe file.

As I understand it, the right-click> Properties > Unlock should create an exception rather than globally disabiing the Reputation Based Protection Setting so I just want to make certain that when this was attempted, it was done on the extracted IERenderSetup.exe file.

Brian, I really have problems with understanding this since I'm not seeing such a restriction on the setup executable but only on the ZIP archive. Maybe it's because I already disabled it sometime in the past which I don't remember?

Plus with regard to the "reputation based blocking" I'm seeing various different options including one disabling either download or execution or both of potentially unwanted applications but none of these appears to have an impact on downloading IER even with Edge for me. All the remaining options are enabled as well, but maybe then I'm not getting warned since I've imported my signing selfsigned certificate into the proper issuer certstore on Windows 10.

So if I add some addtional info to the download page what about mentioning Defender's download blocker? If it would be doing what it claims to do you would never get to the file itself for unblocking ...

Brian, I really have problems with understanding this since I'm not seeing such a restriction on the setup executable but only on the ZIP archive. Maybe it's because I already disabled it sometime in the past which I don't remember? Plus with regard to the "reputation based blocking" I'm seeing various different options including one disabling either download or execution or both of potentially unwanted applications but none of these appears to have an impact on downloading IER even with Edge for me. All the remaining options are enabled as well, but maybe then I'm not getting warned since I've imported my signing selfsigned certificate into the proper issuer certstore on Windows 10. So if I add some addtional info to the download page what about mentioning Defender's download blocker? If it would be doing what it claims to do you would never get to the file itself for unblocking ...
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

I don't fully understand it either, especially with Windows 11.

What I think happens is when an executable is triggered, a check is made of a "known good" list of programs. If the programs is not one it that the execution is blocked. The part I don't understand is why the "Run anyway" option is sometimes not shown. When that happens, the workaround is supposed to be the Properties > Unblock trick. This issue is separate from any download blocking.

I also recall in Win10 that executables would not run from certain directories. I know that system temp is one of them. I don't know the others. We really need someone to encounter this problem and then provide us the details of what and where as they work through it.

BTW, I am on a motorcycle trip, and will be for 5 more days. I hope to be able to check in each evening.

I don't fully understand it either, especially with Windows 11. What I think happens is when an executable is triggered, a check is made of a "known good" list of programs. If the programs is not one it that the execution is blocked. The part I don't understand is why the "Run anyway" option is sometimes not shown. When that happens, the workaround is supposed to be the Properties > Unblock trick. This issue is separate from any download blocking. I also recall in Win10 that executables would not run from certain directories. I know that system temp is one of them. I don't know the others. We really need someone to encounter this problem and then provide us the details of what and where as they work through it. BTW, I am on a motorcycle trip, and will be for 5 more days. I hope to be able to check in each evening.

So having a good time should be your main concern, of course!

So having a good time should be your main concern, of course!
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft