Community Discussions and Support
Corrupted Dysplay of Emails with Attachments

Hello,

Occasionally we receive emails from different senders/domains with images attached.

However, Pegasus displays them corrupted:
654cff4f81ac7

All received emails are forwarded as copies to our AOL account and appear there complete and correct, with attached pictures.

If we then forward this email from AOL to the original recipient, Pegasus displays the email correctly.

What could be the reason for this?

Hello, Occasionally we receive emails from different senders/domains with images attached. However, Pegasus displays them corrupted: ![654cff4f81ac7](serve/attachment&path=654cff4f81ac7) All received emails are forwarded as copies to our AOL account and appear there complete and correct, with attached pictures. If we then forward this email from AOL to the original recipient, Pegasus displays the email correctly. What could be the reason for this?
edited Nov 9 '23 at 5:09 pm

I would suggest looking at the message in raw mode. Looks like it is missing something, but can't see it in picture.

Example: pulled a message from a mailing list that had multipart and has these lines at end of headers and beginning of message parts.

Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="===============4976006352838269285=="
X-PM-PLACEHOLDER: .

--===============4976006352838269285==
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="Apple-Mail=_BA5B61D3-0094-465F-AE27-6C05A8DA4194"

--Apple-Mail=_BA5B61D3-0094-465F-AE27-6C05A8DA4194
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset=utf-8

The Content-Type: shows the boundary number and headers end with blank line.
Then then same marker for start of message and then sub-parts.

Seems the top line shouldn't be there, and 2nd and 3rd line should be part of header?

Looking at message in raw mode, could see what happened. Or could try editting the CNM file, connect those lines to the headers.

I would suggest looking at the message in raw mode. Looks like it is missing something, but can't see it in picture. Example: pulled a message from a mailing list that had multipart and has these lines at end of headers and beginning of message parts. Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="===============4976006352838269285==" X-PM-PLACEHOLDER: . --===============4976006352838269285== Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="Apple-Mail=_BA5B61D3-0094-465F-AE27-6C05A8DA4194" --Apple-Mail=_BA5B61D3-0094-465F-AE27-6C05A8DA4194 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8 The Content-Type: shows the boundary number and headers end with blank line. Then then same marker for start of message and then sub-parts. Seems the top line shouldn't be there, and 2nd and 3rd line should be part of header? Looking at message in raw mode, could see what happened. Or could try editting the CNM file, connect those lines to the headers.

mikes@guam.net

What could be the reason for this?

Please forward a sample message as attachment to another message using the subject of this thread here as the message's subject line so I can tell it apart from the spam sent to this account. Please also add information about the version of Pegasus Mail being used and the version of IERenderer being used into the message being sent: This can easiest be achieved by opening IER's toolbar button menu (the rightmost button) , selecting About IER and clicking Contact via email which will automatically insert all information needed to evaluate several contitions to check with regard to your issue. You can drag and drop your sample message either onto the new message's button on Pegasus Mail's button bar at its bottom or directly onto the open message for adding it as an attachment - depending on how you're accustomed to use Pegasus Mail.

Thanks in advance

[quote="pid:56099, uid:28344"]What could be the reason for this?[/quote] Please forward a sample message **as attachment** to another message using the subject of this thread here as the message's subject line so I can tell it apart from the spam sent to this account. Please also add information about the version of Pegasus Mail being used and the version of IERenderer being used into the message being sent: This can easiest be achieved by opening IER's toolbar button menu (the rightmost button) , selecting _About IER_ and clicking _Contact via email_ which will automatically insert all information needed to evaluate several contitions to check with regard to your issue. You can drag and drop your sample message either onto the new message's button on Pegasus Mail's button bar at its bottom or directly onto the open message for adding it as an attachment - depending on how you're accustomed to use Pegasus Mail. Thanks in advance
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

@msetzerii, thanks, I started looking at the raw mode and then saw Michael's reply.

@Michael, email with the information you asked has been sent to you.

@msetzerii, thanks, I started looking at the raw mode and then saw Michael's reply. @Michael, email with the information you asked has been sent to you.

email with the information you asked has been sent to you.

Thanks for submitting the sample message, and I can say there's nothing wrong with it: If putting it into Pegasus Mail's new mail folder it shows the same result as you submitted in your first post, and when opening the message properties (by either right clicking the message in its folder or highlighting it there and pressing F12) I can see that Pegasus Mail for whatever reason didn't properly detect the MIME structure of the message since none of the flags refering to this were enabled, only the Has been read status. After removing the X-PMFLAGS: ... line from the message's raw data and having Pegasus Mail rescan the new mail folder (i.e. close & reopen) it now shows the proper flags on my system which makes Pegasus Mail and IER properly display the message as to be expected, here's what the properties screen shoud look like for this message (anonymized):

654d5714dc5f9

Now there's the question: Why did Pegasus Mail fail to write the proper flags to the message file when scanned on your system? Actually I can only make a guess which might have something to do with an improper termination of the primary message scan, and a likely candidate would be the outdated version of IER you're using, so that's the first thing I would recommend to do: Go to IER's history page as shown down below in my signature and get the most recent version of IER to figure out whether this issue stil occurs after doing so. This won't fix the currently affected messages, though, and setting the proper flags manually isn't as easy as it might look since the affected messages might not have the same internal structure, so simply switching flags on the properties page isn't exactly safe if not being familiar with the MIME rules.

You can, of course, stick with redirecting those messages through AOL unless you feel comfortable enough with editing the raw data of such messages (only possible in the new mail folder where each message is stored in a single file with it's name shown in the properties dialog as well) for removing the X-PMFLAGS: ... line from the message headers (it's usually the last header line and has a fixed length of 60 characters padded with blank spaces) as I've described above.

HTH

[quote="pid:56103, uid:28344"]email with the information you asked has been sent to you.[/quote] Thanks for submitting the sample message, and I can say there's nothing wrong with it: If putting it into Pegasus Mail's new mail folder it shows the same result as you submitted in your first post, and when opening the message properties (by either right clicking the message in its folder or highlighting it there and pressing F12) I can see that Pegasus Mail for whatever reason didn't properly detect the MIME structure of the message since none of the flags refering to this were enabled, only the _Has been read_ status. After removing the _X-PMFLAGS: ..._ line from the message's raw data and having Pegasus Mail rescan the new mail folder (i.e. close & reopen) it now shows the proper flags on my system which makes Pegasus Mail and IER properly display the message as to be expected, here's what the properties screen shoud look like _for this message_ (anonymized): ![654d5714dc5f9](serve/attachment&path=654d5714dc5f9) Now there's the question: Why did Pegasus Mail fail to write the proper flags to the message file when scanned on your system? Actually I can only make a guess which might have something to do with an improper termination of the primary message scan, and a likely candidate would be the outdated version of IER you're using, so that's the first thing I would recommend to do: Go to IER's history page as shown down below in my signature and get the most recent version of IER to figure out whether this issue stil occurs after doing so. This won't fix the currently affected messages, though, and setting the proper flags manually isn't as easy as it might look since the affected messages might not have the same internal structure, so simply switching flags on the properties page isn't exactly safe if not being familiar with the MIME rules. You can, of course, stick with redirecting those messages through AOL unless you feel comfortable enough with editing the raw data of such messages (only possible in the new mail folder where each message is stored in a single file with it's name shown in the properties dialog as well) for removing the _X-PMFLAGS: ..._ line from the message headers (it's usually the last header line and has a fixed length of 60 characters padded with blank spaces) as I've described above. HTH
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

Thank you very much, Michael. After checking those 2 check-boxes the email opened properly, I also installed the latest version of IERenderer and with time will see if we still have this problem smile

Thank you very much, Michael. After checking those 2 check-boxes the email opened properly, I also installed the latest version of IERenderer and with time will see if we still have this problem :)
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft