Community Discussions and Support
problem moving folders to new version

I just upgraded my old version 4.73 to v4.81. As per the instructions, after installing the new version, I replaced the PMAIL/ADMIN folder with the one from my previous version, but when I open the new client, I don't see any of my old folders.
Any idea as to what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks

I just upgraded my old version 4.73 to v4.81. As per the instructions, after installing the new version, I replaced the PMAIL/ADMIN folder with the one from my previous version, but when I open the new client, I don't see any of my old folders. Any idea as to what I'm doing wrong. Thanks

If you upgraded you should not have moved anything.

If you did a clean install and then tried to copy your mailbox from the 4.73 installation to the new one did you make a backup of the 4.73 installation first?

If you upgraded you should not have moved anything. If you did a clean install and then tried to copy your mailbox from the 4.73 installation to the new one did you make a backup of the 4.73 installation first?

I copied my old MAIL/ADMIN onto a backup drive and then uninstalled v4.73. Then I clean installed v4.81 and pasted my old ADMIN into the new PMAIL/MAIL folder, replacing the one that was there.

I copied my old MAIL/ADMIN onto a backup drive and then uninstalled v4.73. Then I clean installed v4.81 and pasted my old ADMIN into the new PMAIL/MAIL folder, replacing the one that was there.

The fact that you had the \MAIL\ADMIN structure in you 4.73 installation is an indication that you had a mult-user installation but your 4.81 installation ended being single user.

Try this.

• Make sure Pegasus Mail is closed.
  • Rename C:\PMAIL to C:\PMAIL_BAD
  • Install 4.81 again. It should default to C:\PMAIL as the installation path which is fine since the existing one has been renamed.
  • During the install, select the prompt to 'Preconfigure a mailbox'.
  • Don't worry about doing any more configuration once you get past that.
  • Use a file explorer to check the directory structure of the new installation. You should see:C:\PMAIL\ProgramsC:\PMAIL\MAIL inside of which should be C:\PMAIL\MAIL\Admin.If you don't see \Admin, STOP and post back.
  • Replace the new \Admin with a copy of the one from your backup.
  • Start Pegasus Mail and see what you have.

The fact that you had the \MAIL\ADMIN structure in you 4.73 installation is an indication that you had a mult-user installation but your 4.81 installation ended being single user. Try this. - Make sure Pegasus Mail is closed. - Rename C:\PMAIL to C:\PMAIL_BAD - Install 4.81 again. It should default to C:\PMAIL as the installation path which is fine since the existing one has been renamed. - During the install, select the prompt to 'Preconfigure a mailbox'. - Don't worry about doing any more configuration once you get past that. - Use a file explorer to check the directory structure of the new installation. You should see: C:\PMAIL\Programs C:\PMAIL\MAIL inside of which should be C:\PMAIL\MAIL\Admin. If you don't see \Admin, STOP and post back. - Replace the new \Admin with a copy of the one from your backup. - Start Pegasus Mail and see what you have.

Thanks Brian. It worked. It opens now with all my old folders. The only thing is that it didn't ask me to allow the program to access my Gmail account. How can I configure it now to download my Gmail mail?
Thanks

Thanks Brian. It worked. It opens now with all my old folders. The only thing is that it didn't ask me to allow the program to access my Gmail account. How can I configure it now to download my Gmail mail? Thanks

If you had been doing a brand new installation, the Gmail prompt would have come up during the configuration of internet options. You didn't need to do that because you were restoring what you already had in the previous installation.

If Gmail was working in the previous installation using an app password then it should still be working. IMO, there is no reason to change that until Google forces us to. If you are needing to configure access to a new Gmail account then go the Tools > Internet options and press the Gmail button. If you have multiple Identities, be sure to do this from the Identity that will access the Gmail account.

If you had been doing a brand new installation, the Gmail prompt would have come up during the configuration of internet options. You didn't need to do that because you were restoring what you already had in the previous installation. If Gmail was working in the previous installation using an app password then it should still be working. IMO, there is no reason to change that until Google forces us to. If you are needing to configure access to a new Gmail account then go the Tools > Internet options and press the Gmail button. If you have multiple Identities, be sure to do this from the Identity that will access the Gmail account.

@chatz, in your original post you mentioned instructions that said to copy \PMAIL\MAIL\Admin from the previous installation. Where did you find those instructions?

@chatz, in your original post you mentioned instructions that said to copy \PMAIL\MAIL\Admin from the previous installation. Where did you find those instructions?

Just something to double check.

Depending on how the previous Pegasus was setup.
Older single setups had the mail stored in C:\PMAIL\MAIL
rather than having a subdirectory.
In that case the PMAIL.INI has
Working home mailbox location = C:\PMAIL\MAIL
New mailbox location = C:\PMAIL\MAIL
There is usually an ADMIN subdirectory, but it only has a basic set of files with no folders.

With newer setups, the single user has C:\PMAIL\MAIL\Admin as the folder with the PMM and PMI files.
PMAIL.INI has
Working home mailbox location = C:\PMAIL\MAIL\ADMIN
New mailbox location = C:\PMAIL\MAIL\ADMIN

Should also see what the C:\PMAIL\Programs\PMAIL.CFG file has.
C:\PMAIL\MAIL (at beginning is the older single user setup)
C:\PMAIL\MAIL~N (at beginning is multi-user setup)
could also have a ~8

PMAIL.CFG is binary file so don't edit with text editor
Generally PCONFIG32.exe is used to change, but probable should be left alone.

If new install is clean. The C:\PMAIL\MAIL
Should just have the file PMAIL.USR and subdirectories for Mail folders.
Like ADMIN under it.
If you have other files in this directory, all but the PMAIL.USR should be moved into ADMIN.
Probable need to edit PMAIL.INI to change lines to C:\PMAIL\MAIL\ADMIN

Of course make sure to back up the whole C:\PMAIL directory before doing anything.

Hope that helps.

Just something to double check. Depending on how the previous Pegasus was setup. Older single setups had the mail stored in C:\PMAIL\MAIL rather than having a subdirectory. In that case the PMAIL.INI has Working home mailbox location = C:\PMAIL\MAIL New mailbox location = C:\PMAIL\MAIL There is usually an ADMIN subdirectory, but it only has a basic set of files with no folders. With newer setups, the single user has C:\PMAIL\MAIL\Admin as the folder with the PMM and PMI files. PMAIL.INI has Working home mailbox location = C:\PMAIL\MAIL\ADMIN New mailbox location = C:\PMAIL\MAIL\ADMIN Should also see what the C:\PMAIL\Programs\PMAIL.CFG file has. C:\PMAIL\MAIL (at beginning is the older single user setup) C:\PMAIL\MAIL\~N (at beginning is multi-user setup) could also have a ~8 PMAIL.CFG is binary file so don't edit with text editor Generally PCONFIG32.exe is used to change, but probable should be left alone. If new install is clean. The C:\PMAIL\MAIL Should just have the file PMAIL.USR and subdirectories for Mail folders. Like ADMIN under it. If you have other files in this directory, all but the PMAIL.USR should be moved into ADMIN. Probable need to edit PMAIL.INI to change lines to C:\PMAIL\MAIL\ADMIN Of course make sure to back up the whole C:\PMAIL directory before doing anything. Hope that helps.

mikes@guam.net

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft