Community Discussions and Support
SSL error with the GMX email service provider and Pegasus Mail

Hello all.

Long time I did not wander on the forum, so nice to see the flying horse's community still flying.

I have been using Pegasus Mail for about 16 years now, and specifically version 4.41 with the French module, so to be precise it is 4.41 Fr.

Last week, I had to create a new email adress for one of my projects and I choose the email service provider GMX ("GMXmail" for the rest of this post) which look really nice compared to Gmail.

I set all the parameters to my new email adress in Pegasus Mail. I was able to even send an email, but I encountered problems with the pop retrieving part.

Here is the message I got :

%%% start %%%

Connect to 'pop.gmx.com' port 995, timeout 90.

01:35:59.921 [*] Connection established to 212.227.17.171

01:35:59.953 22: Error -32 activating SSL session (locus 6014, type 4, code 0, 'Invalid version number 3.3, should be 3.1'smile

01:35:59.953 --- Connection closed normally at Sat, 11 Nov 2023 01:35:59. ---\0A\0A

%%% end %%%

It seems that the problem is that I am using a newer version for the SSL activation whereas GMXmail asks for version 3.1. That is quite weird, so it must be that I am mistaken somwhere.

If some of you could take some time to help me, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

Hello all. Long time I did not wander on the forum, so nice to see the flying horse's community still flying. I have been using Pegasus Mail for about 16 years now, and specifically version 4.41 with the French module, so to be precise it is 4.41 Fr. Last week, I had to create a new email adress for one of my projects and I choose the email service provider GMX ("GMXmail" for the rest of this post) which look really nice compared to Gmail. I set all the parameters to my new email adress in Pegasus Mail. I was able to even send an email, but I encountered problems with the pop retrieving part. Here is the message I got : %%% start %%% Connect to 'pop.gmx.com' port 995, timeout 90. 01:35:59.921 [*] Connection established to 212.227.17.171 01:35:59.953 22: Error -32 activating SSL session (locus 6014, type 4, code 0, 'Invalid version number 3.3, should be 3.1') 01:35:59.953 --- Connection closed normally at Sat, 11 Nov 2023 01:35:59. ---\0A\0A %%% end %%% It seems that the problem is that I am using a newer version for the SSL activation whereas GMXmail asks for version 3.1. That is quite weird, so it must be that I am mistaken somwhere. If some of you could take some time to help me, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Best regards.
edited Nov 18 '23 at 11:37 am

I'm sorry, but I'm wondering about a couple of things, first of all: Are you still continuing to use PM 4.41? And secondly, are you really sure you're talking about SSL 3?

To begin with the latter, SSL 3 is "deprecated" since 2015 now, current protocol levels are TLS 1.2 and 1.3 which are only supported by recent Pegasus Mail versions, particulary v4.81, cf. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security#History_and_development. So if using any of these how would you manage to do so with Pegasus Mail 4.41?

I'm sorry, but I'm wondering about a couple of things, first of all: Are you still continuing to use PM 4.41? And secondly, are you really sure you're talking about **SSL** 3? To begin with the latter, SSL 3 is "deprecated" since 2015 now, current protocol levels are TLS 1.2 and 1.3 which are only supported by recent Pegasus Mail versions, particulary v4.81, cf. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security#History_and_development. So if using any of these how would you manage to do so with Pegasus Mail 4.41?
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
edited Nov 16 '23 at 6:23 am

Hello.

Thank you for your reply.

I am indeed still using PM 4.41 (on a usb stick) which works perfectly fine on my Windows 10 machine. I have no problem for retrieving or sending emails with my other Gmail accounts.

As for SSL, I do not know the first thing about it. Before the last couple of days, it was just a box I had ticked some years ago when I set the parameters in PM. Everything was fine and I had forgotten about it.

It came forward thanks to this error message, and based on your answer, it seems version 3.3 is older than version 3.1. I would have thought the other way around, but that's the way it is.

The only thing I did recently concerning my email accounts on Gmail was to enable the "2-factor authentification" and create an App password. My new GMXmail account is the only one generating an error so far.

What can I do to make things work with GMXmail and keep my PM 4.41 which have never failed me for more than a decade ?

I hope I answered your questions and I thank you for your time.

Cheers.

Hello. Thank you for your reply. I am indeed still using PM 4.41 (on a usb stick) which works perfectly fine on my Windows 10 machine. I have no problem for retrieving or sending emails with my other Gmail accounts. As for SSL, I do not know the first thing about it. Before the last couple of days, it was just a box I had ticked some years ago when I set the parameters in PM. Everything was fine and I had forgotten about it. It came forward thanks to this error message, and based on your answer, it seems version 3.3 is older than version 3.1. I would have thought the other way around, but that's the way it is. The only thing I did recently concerning my email accounts on Gmail was to enable the "2-factor authentification" and create an App password. My new GMXmail account is the only one generating an error so far. What can I do to make things work with GMXmail and keep my PM 4.41 which have never failed me for more than a decade ? I hope I answered your questions and I thank you for your time. Cheers.
edited Nov 16 '23 at 9:49 am

Just to note: If the problem with SSL is that the Pegasus before 4.80 was using an older version of openssl that didn't support the newer SSL options. So options would be to upgrade the Pegasus to probable the 4.81pb3 or would be to setup stunnel to handle the ssl connection.

for my gmail access I have stunnel.conf setup with this
[gmailpop]
client=yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:20995
connect = pop.gmail.com:995
debug = 3
verifyChain = yes
CApath = /etc/ssl/certs
checkHost = pop.gmail.com
OCSPaia = yes

[gmailsmtp]
client=yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:20465
connect = smtp.gmail.com:465
debug = 3
verifyChain = yes
CApath = /etc/ssl/certs
checkHost = smtp.gmail.com
OCSPaia = yes

The Pegasus is setup to connect using the local port 127.0.0.1 and the matching ports for the matching pop3 and smtp connection without ssl.
The Stunnel then does the connections with the correct SSL options to the original 995 and 465 ports to the ISP.

Don't know anything about GMX setup, but stunnel setup has worked well with updated openssl and the various SSL option.

Just to note: If the problem with SSL is that the Pegasus before 4.80 was using an older version of openssl that didn't support the newer SSL options. So options would be to upgrade the Pegasus to probable the 4.81pb3 or would be to setup stunnel to handle the ssl connection. for my gmail access I have stunnel.conf setup with this [gmailpop] client=yes accept = 127.0.0.1:20995 connect = pop.gmail.com:995 debug = 3 verifyChain = yes CApath = /etc/ssl/certs checkHost = pop.gmail.com OCSPaia = yes [gmailsmtp] client=yes accept = 127.0.0.1:20465 connect = smtp.gmail.com:465 debug = 3 verifyChain = yes CApath = /etc/ssl/certs checkHost = smtp.gmail.com OCSPaia = yes The Pegasus is setup to connect using the local port 127.0.0.1 and the matching ports for the matching pop3 and smtp connection without ssl. The Stunnel then does the connections with the correct SSL options to the original 995 and 465 ports to the ISP. Don't know anything about GMX setup, but stunnel setup has worked well with updated openssl and the various SSL option.

mikes@guam.net

The Pegasus is setup to connect using the local port 127.0.0.1 and the matching ports for the matching pop3 and smtp connection without ssl.

Sorry for intruding, but as is fight with my setup at the moment, too:
IIUIC, in Peg you make it use the 127.0.0.1:20465 port? I.e., set 127.0.0.1 as Server hostname, and 20465 instead of 110 in the entry "Server TCT/IP Port"?

[quote="pid:56123, uid:2546"]The Pegasus is setup to connect using the local port 127.0.0.1 and the matching ports for the matching pop3 and smtp connection without ssl.[/quote] Sorry for intruding, but as is fight with my setup at the moment, too: IIUIC, in Peg you make it use the 127.0.0.1:20465 port? I.e., set 127.0.0.1 as Server hostname, and 20465 instead of 110 in the entry "Server TCT/IP Port"?
edited Nov 16 '23 at 11:50 am

FWIW, I have a gmx.com account that works fine for both sending and receiving via POP3, going back to at least v4.73 (currently running 4.81 beta).

Dependence on a French module may be a problem. The Pegasus Mail download site shows the most recent French module is for v4.6x.

FWIW, I have a gmx.com account that works fine for both sending and receiving via POP3, going back to at least v4.73 (currently running 4.81 beta). Dependence on a French module may be a problem. The Pegasus Mail download site shows the most recent French module is for v4.6x.

Reply for Karl_F.
The original POP3 port was 110 and original SMTP port was 25, but with hackers and spammers most of those ports are blocked or have tight security.
There are a number of ports used for the SSL connections. 465 and 995.
Normally, using Pegasus to do the direct SSL connection you would just use the ISPs port and use the STLS or Direct SSL connection options.
Using stunnel you setup the port mapping so that Pegasus is connecting to a local port with the Never option for SSL. Stunnel then takes the access to that port and reroutes it via SSL to the ISPs' port.

So Pegasus is connecting to the local port as a local connection with stunnel routing it to the ISP.
I use this for both my local ISP and gmail account. Have different ports between them.

Long ago, Pegasus use to have the openssl dll files included, and one could just update those files, but at some point it is not compiled into the WINPM-32 program.

Has a recent one in the 4.8x files.
On my linux machine
stunnel -version
Initializing inetd mode configuration
stunnel 5.71 on x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu platform
Compiled/running with OpenSSL 3.0.9 30 May 2023
ThreadingsmileTHREAD SocketssmileOLL,IPv6,SYSTEMD TLS:ENGINE,FIPS,OCSP,PSK,SNI

Global options:
fips = no
RNDbytes = 1024
RNDfile = /dev/urandom
RNDoverwrite = yes

Service-level options:
ciphers = PROFILE=SYSTEM (with "fips = yes"smile
ciphers = PROFILE=SYSTEM (with "fips = no"smile
ciphersuites = TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384:TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256:TLS_CHACHA20_POLY1305_SHA256 (with TLSv1.3)
curves = P-256smile-521smile-384 (with "fips = yes"smile
curves = X25519smile-256:X448smile-521smile-384 (with "fips = no"smile
debug = daemon.notice
logId = sequential
options = NO_SSLv2
options = NO_SSLv3
securityLevel = 2
sessionCacheSize = 1000
sessionCacheTimeout = 300 seconds
stack = 65536 bytes
TIMEOUTbusy = 300 seconds
TIMEOUTclose = 60 seconds
TIMEOUTconnect = 10 seconds
TIMEOUTidle = 43200 seconds
TIMEOUTocsp = 5 seconds
verify = none

Reply for Karl_F. The original POP3 port was 110 and original SMTP port was 25, but with hackers and spammers most of those ports are blocked or have tight security. There are a number of ports used for the SSL connections. 465 and 995. Normally, using Pegasus to do the direct SSL connection you would just use the ISPs port and use the STLS or Direct SSL connection options. Using stunnel you setup the port mapping so that Pegasus is connecting to a local port with the Never option for SSL. Stunnel then takes the access to that port and reroutes it via SSL to the ISPs' port. So Pegasus is connecting to the local port as a local connection with stunnel routing it to the ISP. I use this for both my local ISP and gmail account. Have different ports between them. Long ago, Pegasus use to have the openssl dll files included, and one could just update those files, but at some point it is not compiled into the WINPM-32 program. Has a recent one in the 4.8x files. On my linux machine stunnel -version Initializing inetd mode configuration stunnel 5.71 on x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu platform Compiled/running with OpenSSL 3.0.9 30 May 2023 Threading:PTHREAD Sockets:POLL,IPv6,SYSTEMD TLS:ENGINE,FIPS,OCSP,PSK,SNI Global options: fips = no RNDbytes = 1024 RNDfile = /dev/urandom RNDoverwrite = yes Service-level options: ciphers = PROFILE=SYSTEM (with "fips = yes") ciphers = PROFILE=SYSTEM (with "fips = no") ciphersuites = TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384:TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256:TLS_CHACHA20_POLY1305_SHA256 (with TLSv1.3) curves = P-256:P-521:P-384 (with "fips = yes") curves = X25519:P-256:X448:P-521:P-384 (with "fips = no") debug = daemon.notice logId = sequential options = NO_SSLv2 options = NO_SSLv3 securityLevel = 2 sessionCacheSize = 1000 sessionCacheTimeout = 300 seconds stack = 65536 bytes TIMEOUTbusy = 300 seconds TIMEOUTclose = 60 seconds TIMEOUTconnect = 10 seconds TIMEOUTidle = 43200 seconds TIMEOUTocsp = 5 seconds verify = none

mikes@guam.net

What can I do to make things work with GMXmail and keep my PM 4.41 which have never failed me for more than a decade ?

You can't: Here's the GMX account info for Outlook which applies for Pegasus Mail as well, specifically the following:

Please note: You can only use a TLS protocol if your email program uses TLS versions 1.2 or 1.3. For security reasons, we no longer support the older TLS versions 1.0 and 1.1.

IOW: You would either need a more recent Pegasus Mail version or setup STunnel as described by mikes: I'm out of the game with this.

PS: Wikipedia about STunnel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stunnel

[quote="pid:56122, uid:2217"]What can I do to make things work with GMXmail and keep my PM 4.41 which have never failed me for more than a decade ?[/quote] You can't: Here's the [GMX account info](https://support.gmx.com/pop-imap/pop3/outlook.html) for Outlook which applies for Pegasus Mail as well, specifically the following: > Please note: **You can only use a TLS protocol if your email program uses TLS versions 1.2 or 1.3.** For security reasons, we no longer support the older TLS versions 1.0 and 1.1. IOW: You would either need a more recent Pegasus Mail version or setup STunnel as described by mikes: I'm out of the game with this. PS: Wikipedia about STunnel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stunnel
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Nov 16 '23 at 9:19 pm

I use this for both my local ISP and gmail account. Have different ports between them

So i take it, your "accept = 127.0.0.1:20995" port is used for gmail, while for your lokal isp you use "accept = 127.0.0.1:110" ?
For me it was a step more involved, as i use the trusty K9 Spamfilter in front of my mailer. Got it running now, thank you very much!

PS, can't say enough praise K9, after many years of usage my "good rate" is at 98,9% with false positives at 0,03% - for more than 150k mails processed)

[quote="pid:56126, uid:2546"]I use this for both my local ISP and gmail account. Have different ports between them[/quote] So i take it, your "accept = 127.0.0.1:20995" port is used for gmail, while for your lokal isp you use "accept = 127.0.0.1:110" ? For me it was a step more involved, as i use the trusty K9 Spamfilter in front of my mailer. Got it running now, thank you very much! PS, can't say enough praise K9, after many years of usage my "good rate" is at 98,9% with false positives at 0,03% - for more than 150k mails processed)
edited Nov 16 '23 at 5:35 pm

My complete stunnel.conf is
[gmailpop]
client=yes
debug = 3
verifyChain = yes
CApath = /etc/ssl/certs
OCSPaia = yes

[gmailsmtp]
client=yes
debug = 3
verifyChain = yes
CApath = /etc/ssl/certs
OCSPaia = yes

[gmailimap]
client=yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:20993
connect = imap.gmail.com:993
debug = 3
verifyChain = yes
CApath = /etc/ssl/certs
checkHost = imap.gmail.com
OCSPaia = yes

[guampop]
client=yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:20996
connect = mail.guam.net:995
debug = 7
verifyChain = yes
CApath = /etc/ssl/certs
checkHost = mail.guam.net
OCSPaia = yes

[guamsmtp]
client=yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:20466
connect = smtp1.guam.net:465
debug = 7
verifyChain = yes
CApath = /etc/ssl/certs
checkHost = smtp1.guam.net
OCSPaia = yes

Don't use IMAP, but put that in at time, since had info.

My complete stunnel.conf is [gmailpop] client=yes accept = 127.0.0.1:20995 connect = pop.gmail.com:995 debug = 3 verifyChain = yes CApath = /etc/ssl/certs checkHost = pop.gmail.com OCSPaia = yes [gmailsmtp] client=yes accept = 127.0.0.1:20465 connect = smtp.gmail.com:465 debug = 3 verifyChain = yes CApath = /etc/ssl/certs checkHost = smtp.gmail.com OCSPaia = yes [gmailimap] client=yes accept = 127.0.0.1:20993 connect = imap.gmail.com:993 debug = 3 verifyChain = yes CApath = /etc/ssl/certs checkHost = imap.gmail.com OCSPaia = yes [guampop] client=yes accept = 127.0.0.1:20996 connect = mail.guam.net:995 debug = 7 verifyChain = yes CApath = /etc/ssl/certs checkHost = mail.guam.net OCSPaia = yes [guamsmtp] client=yes accept = 127.0.0.1:20466 connect = smtp1.guam.net:465 debug = 7 verifyChain = yes CApath = /etc/ssl/certs checkHost = smtp1.guam.net OCSPaia = yes Don't use IMAP, but put that in at time, since had info.

mikes@guam.net

Hi all.

Thank you for your replies and your time.

The Stunnel solution looks a little bit adventurous since I am just a basic user. I could probably make it work thanks to forums and good people like here, but I think it would consume a lot of time. I will give it a try though using the posts of msetzerii which are rather detailed.

Probably the best route is to install the latest version of PM, that is 4.81 (Pb3). However, that would mean a huge jump from 4.41 to 4.81. Are there any recommandations for making such a leap ? I have already copied my existing PM folder as a precaution. In fact I have 2 copies in order to be covered in case of a problem.

I found a thread on this forum about this kind of update and the recommandation was to launch the installer and choose to update the existing installation. However, the 4.41 PM mentionned in it was not "patched" with a language module. Could this be problematic ? Also, is it possible to use the latest language module (4.6x) with the latest PM version (4.81Pb3) ? I think the answer is "No", but better to have confirmation.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Cheers !

Hi all. Thank you for your replies and your time. The Stunnel solution looks a little bit adventurous since I am just a basic user. I could probably make it work thanks to forums and good people like here, but I think it would consume a lot of time. I will give it a try though using the posts of msetzerii which are rather detailed. Probably the best route is to install the latest version of PM, that is 4.81 (Pb3). However, that would mean a huge jump from 4.41 to 4.81. Are there any recommandations for making such a leap ? I have already copied my existing PM folder as a precaution. In fact I have 2 copies in order to be covered in case of a problem. I found a thread on this forum about this kind of update and the recommandation was to launch the installer and choose to update the existing installation. However, the 4.41 PM mentionned in it was not "patched" with a language module. Could this be problematic ? Also, is it possible to use the latest language module (4.6x) with the latest PM version (4.81Pb3) ? I think the answer is "No", but better to have confirmation. Thanks again for taking the time. Cheers !

First let me say that I didn't know anything about the language modules so I downloaded the 4.6x French module and looked at its content. Based on what I see, it appears to replace application files with French versions. There have been a lot of changes since 4.63 so I am sure the module won't work with 4.81. An unknown to me is how an upgrade attempt would handle the installed module files. I would not try it. Instead I would look into doing a clean installation of 4.81 and then copying files from the existing installation. This might be very easy, but, it might not. Details about your current installation would be needed in order to provide specific guidance. A starting point for those details is the "Info" button located in Help > About Pegasus Mail. Copy the entire content of the resulting Pegasus Mail Information window and paste it into a reply. It does not contain any personal information. Some follow up questions may be required once we have had a look at it.

First let me say that I didn't know anything about the language modules so I downloaded the 4.6x French module and looked at its content. Based on what I see, it appears to replace application files with French versions. There have been a lot of changes since 4.63 so I am sure the module won't work with 4.81. An unknown to me is how an upgrade attempt would handle the installed module files. I would not try it. Instead I would look into doing a clean installation of 4.81 and then copying files from the existing installation. This might be very easy, but, it might not. Details about your current installation would be needed in order to provide specific guidance. A starting point for those details is the "Info" button located in Help > About Pegasus Mail. Copy the entire content of the resulting Pegasus Mail Information window and paste it into a reply. It does not contain any personal information. Some follow up questions may be required once we have had a look at it.

https://www.stunnel.org/downloads.html
Download
https://www.stunnel.org/downloads/stunnel-5.71-win64-installer.exe
That would install stunnel and openssl
Prompts for info to set openssl as a possible server.

edit file
/Program Files (x86)/stunnel/config/stunnel.conf

Change the gmail to the gmx equivallent.

[gmailpop]
client=yes
debug = 3
verifyChain = yes
CApath = /etc/ssl/certs
OCSPaia = yes

[gmailsmtp]
client=yes
debug = 3
verifyChain = yes
CApath = /etc/ssl/certs
OCSPaia = yes

In Pegasus would change addresses to 127.0.0.1 and ports to 20995 and 20465

Then run /Program Files (x86)/stunnel/bin/stunnel.exe

The POP PND file would look something like this.

Pegasus Mail POP3 definition, 8 Aug 2022, 6:09:06

Title : gmail pop3
Type : POP3
Flags1 : 16
Flags2 : 0
Timeout : 60
Port : 20995
Host : 127.0.0.1
Username : msetzerii
Password :
Mailbox :
Memfile : POPTK09J.PM3
Threshold : 0
SSLMode : 0
Fingerprint :
Max_Msgs : 0
Min_Interval : 0
Ruleset :
Top_lines : 0
Def_action : 0

Remove Password and Fingerprint lines.

The SMTP PND file would look similar to this.

Pegasus Mail SMTP definition, 6 Aug 2023, 15:59:03

Title : gmailsmtp
Type : SMTP
Flags1 : 2048
Timeout : 60
Port : 20465
Username : msetzerii@gmail.com
Mailbox :

Again removed Password and Fingerprint lines.

The /Program Files (x86)/stunnel/bin
ls -l
total 9732
4879080 Sep 20 05:30 libcrypto-3-x64.dll
678952 Sep 20 05:30 libssl-3-x64.dll
291961 Feb 12 2022 libssp-0.dll
1010176 Sep 20 05:30 openssl.exe
1625488 Sep 20 06:23 stunnel.exe
1467152 Sep 20 06:23 tstunnel.exe

Would need to have it run the stunnel.exe at startup or before Pegasus.

https://www.stunnel.org/downloads.html Download https://www.stunnel.org/downloads/stunnel-5.71-win64-installer.exe That would install stunnel and openssl Prompts for info to set openssl as a possible server. edit file /Program Files (x86)/stunnel/config/stunnel.conf Change the gmail to the gmx equivallent. [**gmailpop**] client=yes accept = 127.0.0.1:20995 connect = **pop.gmail.com**:995 debug = 3 verifyChain = yes CApath = /etc/ssl/certs checkHost = **pop.gmail.com** OCSPaia = yes [**gmailsmtp**] client=yes accept = 127.0.0.1:20465 connect = **smtp.gmail.com**:465 debug = 3 verifyChain = yes CApath = /etc/ssl/certs checkHost = **smtp.gmail.com** OCSPaia = yes In Pegasus would change addresses to 127.0.0.1 and ports to 20995 and 20465 Then run /Program Files (x86)/stunnel/bin/stunnel.exe The POP PND file would look something like this. # Pegasus Mail POP3 definition, 8 Aug 2022, 6:09:06 Title : gmail pop3 Type : POP3 Flags1 : 16 Flags2 : 0 Timeout : 60 Port : 20995 Host : 127.0.0.1 Username : msetzerii Password : Mailbox : Memfile : POPTK09J.PM3 Threshold : 0 SSLMode : 0 Fingerprint : Max_Msgs : 0 Min_Interval : 0 Ruleset : Top_lines : 0 Def_action : 0 Remove Password and Fingerprint lines. The SMTP PND file would look similar to this. # Pegasus Mail SMTP definition, 6 Aug 2023, 15:59:03 Title : gmailsmtp Type : SMTP Flags1 : 2048 Flags2 : 0 Timeout : 60 Port : 20465 Host : 127.0.0.1 Username : msetzerii@gmail.com Mailbox : SSLMode : 0 Max_Msgs : 0 Again removed Password and Fingerprint lines. The /Program Files (x86)/stunnel/bin ls -l total 9732 4879080 Sep 20 05:30 libcrypto-3-x64.dll 678952 Sep 20 05:30 libssl-3-x64.dll 291961 Feb 12 2022 libssp-0.dll 1010176 Sep 20 05:30 openssl.exe 1625488 Sep 20 06:23 stunnel.exe 1467152 Sep 20 06:23 tstunnel.exe Would need to have it run the stunnel.exe at startup or before Pegasus.

mikes@guam.net

An unknown to me is how an upgrade attempt would handle the installed module files.

There are no issues with these: I'm still keeping the old language modules (i.e. German, French & Italian) in Pegasus Mail's programs subfolder for development purposes and all my extensions including IERenderer can still deal with them if required (and it actually is required if they are used). They are just ignored by more recent versions of Pegasus Mail and subsequently my extensions.

Only if starting Pegasus Mail with a non-matching language option would result in an error message at startup saying that the English version will by launched instead. IOW: Shortcuts using the -X FR commandline switch or a Pegasus.ini entry reading Set Language=FR need to be removed unless overriden by -X EN on the commandline.

[quote="pid:56136, uid:28772"]An unknown to me is how an upgrade attempt would handle the installed module files.[/quote] There are no issues with these: I'm still keeping the old language modules (i.e. German, French & Italian) in Pegasus Mail's _programs_ subfolder for development purposes and all my extensions including IERenderer can still deal with them if required (and it actually _is_ required if they are used). They are just ignored by more recent versions of Pegasus Mail and subsequently my extensions. Only if starting Pegasus Mail with a non-matching language option would result in an error message at startup saying that the English version will by launched instead. IOW: Shortcuts using the _-X FR_ commandline switch or a _Pegasus.ini_ entry reading _Set Language=FR_ need to be removed unless overriden by _-X EN_ on the commandline.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Hello everyone.

@ Brian Fluet

Here is the information from the info button of PM :

%%% beginning %%%

Pegasus Mail for Microsoft Windows
Copyright (C) 1992-2005, David Harris, all rights reserved
Electronic mail to support@pmail.gen.nz.

WinPMail version: Version 4.41 (Win32), Jul 16 2006
Language resources: Module francophone, v4.41 R1.0
Extension Manager version: 1.13
Operating mode: Standalone
User name and ID: Mode simple utilisateur, 0
Windows version: 6.2
Windows flag word: 0
WINPMAIL.EXE directory: D:\Pmail
Home mailbox location: D:\PMAIL\MAIL
New mailbox location: D:\PMAIL\MAIL
TMP environment variable: C:\Users\whiskyfizz\AppData\Local\Temp
TEMP environment variable: C:\Users\whiskyfizz\AppData\Local\Temp
LAN-based SMTP support: N, N, N
NetWare MHS support: N, N, N
Built-in TCP/IP support: Enabled

• WINSOCK version: WinSock 2.0
  • WINSOCK path: C:\Windows\system32\WSOCK32.DLLCommandline: -roamActive -Z options: 32768PMR variable: (None)PML variable: (None)MAI variable: (None)NB variable: (None)

%%% end %%%

Ideally, it would be great if I could install the latest version of PM and manually copy all the needed files from the latest French module so that PM is in French. I am not the only one using PM and English is not an option for them. That's why in parallel Stunnel seems worth a try even for a basic user like me.

@ msetzerii

I will try to mingle with Stunnel during the week-end by leaning on your posts. I'll report the results of the experiment.

Thanks all for your time.

Cheers.

Hello everyone. @ Brian Fluet Here is the information from the info button of PM : %%% beginning %%% Pegasus Mail for Microsoft Windows Copyright (C) 1992-2005, David Harris, all rights reserved Electronic mail to support@pmail.gen.nz. WinPMail version: Version 4.41 (Win32), Jul 16 2006 Language resources: Module francophone, v4.41 R1.0 Extension Manager version: 1.13 Operating mode: Standalone User name and ID: Mode simple utilisateur, 0 Windows version: 6.2 Windows flag word: 0 WINPMAIL.EXE directory: D:\Pmail Home mailbox location: D:\PMAIL\MAIL New mailbox location: D:\PMAIL\MAIL TMP environment variable: C:\Users\whiskyfizz\AppData\Local\Temp TEMP environment variable: C:\Users\whiskyfizz\AppData\Local\Temp LAN-based SMTP support: N, N, N NetWare MHS support: N, N, N Built-in TCP/IP support: Enabled - WINSOCK version: WinSock 2.0 - WINSOCK path: C:\Windows\system32\WSOCK32.DLL Commandline: -roam Active -Z options: 32768 PMR variable: (None) PML variable: (None) MAI variable: (None) NB variable: (None) %%% end %%% Ideally, it would be great if I could install the latest version of PM and manually copy all the needed files from the latest French module so that PM is in French. I am not the only one using PM and English is not an option for them. That's why in parallel Stunnel seems worth a try even for a basic user like me. @ msetzerii I will try to mingle with Stunnel during the week-end by leaning on your posts. I'll report the results of the experiment. Thanks all for your time. Cheers.
edited Nov 18 '23 at 11:36 am

They are just ignored by more recent versions of Pegasus Mail and subsequently my extensions.

Michael, are you saying that an installed language module is harmless when in an installation that is upgraded to v4.81, but it won't function?

If so, then it look likes the options are to upgrade which will result in the loss of the French, or stay with the current version and use stunnel.

@whiskyfizz, it would be harmeless for you to test an upgrade.

• Shut down Pegasus Mail.
  • Copy D:\PMAIL TO D:\PMAIL_SAVED
  • Run the 4.81 beta installater. It should default to proposing an upgrade to D:\PMAIL
  • Confirm that then let it run.
  • Add the -O (oh, not zero) to your command line to force Pegasus Mail to start in Offline mode (eg: D:\PMAIL\winpm-32.exe -A -O). This is important to prevent the download of new messages into this upgrade test instance.
  • Start Pegasus Mail and see what you have.
  • If all appears well, restart Pegasus Mail after removing the -O command line option.
  • Test to see if you can now retrieve mail from gmx.com. If not, confirm that the error remains the same. You may want to enable internet session logging before testing so that you have a log file in the event of a failure.
  • If there are problems, restore the saved instance. Close Pegasus Mail, delete D:\PMAIL, rename D:\PMAIL_SAVED back to D:\PMAIL.

[quote="pid:56139, uid:2133"]They are just ignored by more recent versions of Pegasus Mail and subsequently my extensions.[/quote] Michael, are you saying that an installed language module is harmless when in an installation that is upgraded to v4.81, but it won't function? If so, then it look likes the options are to upgrade which will result in the loss of the French, or stay with the current version and use stunnel. @whiskyfizz, it would be harmeless for you to test an upgrade. - Shut down Pegasus Mail. - Copy D:\PMAIL TO D:\PMAIL_SAVED - Run the 4.81 beta installater. It should default to proposing an upgrade to D:\PMAIL - Confirm that then let it run. - Add the -O (oh, not zero) to your command line to force Pegasus Mail to start in Offline mode (eg: D:\PMAIL\winpm-32.exe -A -O). This is important to prevent the download of new messages into this upgrade test instance. - Start Pegasus Mail and see what you have. - If all appears well, restart Pegasus Mail after removing the -O command line option. - Test to see if you can now retrieve mail from gmx.com. If not, confirm that the error remains the same. You may want to enable internet session logging before testing so that you have a log file in the event of a failure. - If there are problems, restore the saved instance. Close Pegasus Mail, delete D:\PMAIL, rename D:\PMAIL_SAVED back to D:\PMAIL.

Michael, are you saying that an installed language module is harmless when in an installation that is upgraded to v4.81, but it won't function?

If so, then it look likes the options are to upgrade which will result in the loss of the French, or stay with the current version and use stunnel.

Yes, these are the only available options.

[quote="pid:56149, uid:28772"]Michael, are you saying that an installed language module is harmless when in an installation that is upgraded to v4.81, but it won't function? If so, then it look likes the options are to upgrade which will result in the loss of the French, or stay with the current version and use stunnel.[/quote] Yes, these are the only available options.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Hi all.

Since I unfortunately cannot loose the French "version", I have no choice but to dwell deep into Stunnel. I will experiment and report back here.

Thank you for your time.

Cheers.

Hi all. Since I unfortunately cannot loose the French "version", I have no choice but to dwell deep into Stunnel. I will experiment and report back here. Thank you for your time. Cheers.

Made a GMX.COM email address, so did tests to get it to work with the stunnel.
First problem I had was had to turn on the pop and smtp option since it was blocked??
These are settings I did for the stunnel.conf
The OCSPaia is set to no since was getting failure to respond with GMX?
Works from with gmail and guam.net??

[gmxpop]
client=yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:10995
connect = pop.gmx.com:995
debug = 3
verifyChain = yes
CApath = /etc/ssl/certs
checkHost = pop.gmx.com
OCSPaia = no

[gmxsmtp]
client=yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:10465
connect = mail.gmx.com:465
debug = 3
verifyChain = yes
CApath = /etc/ssl/certs
checkHost = mail.gmx.com
OCSPaia = no

The POP3 PND file.

Pegasus Mail POP3 definition, 19 Nov 2023, 16:46:14

Title : GMX pop
Type : POP3
Flags1 : 16
Timeout : 30
Port : 10995
Username : msetzerii@gmx.com
Password : deleted
Mailbox :
Memfile : POPNVITN.PM3
Threshold : 0
Min_Interval : 0
Ruleset :
Top_lines : 0
Def_action : 0

SMTP PND

Pegasus Mail SMTP definition, 19 Nov 2023, 16:58:50

Title : GMX stmp
Type : SMTP
Flags1 : 2052
Timeout : 30
Port : 10465
Username : msetzerii@gmx.com
Password : deleted
Envelope_Address : msetzerii@gmx.com
Mailbox :
POPDef_name : POP0HXBP.PND

6559b5944b834
6559b594d4dee
6559b594d6291

So, some places required the gmx.com, but that seems to work.
That is with 4.81, but would assume it would be same with older versions.

Made a GMX.COM email address, so did tests to get it to work with the stunnel. First problem I had was had to turn on the pop and smtp option since it was blocked?? These are settings I did for the stunnel.conf The OCSPaia is set to no since was getting failure to respond with GMX? Works from with gmail and guam.net?? [gmxpop] client=yes accept = 127.0.0.1:10995 connect = pop.gmx.com:995 debug = 3 verifyChain = yes CApath = /etc/ssl/certs checkHost = pop.gmx.com OCSPaia = no [gmxsmtp] client=yes accept = 127.0.0.1:10465 connect = mail.gmx.com:465 debug = 3 verifyChain = yes CApath = /etc/ssl/certs checkHost = mail.gmx.com OCSPaia = no The POP3 PND file. # Pegasus Mail POP3 definition, 19 Nov 2023, 16:46:14 Title : GMX pop Type : POP3 Flags1 : 16 Flags2 : 0 Timeout : 30 Port : 10995 Host : 127.0.0.1 Username : msetzerii@gmx.com Password : deleted Mailbox : Memfile : POPNVITN.PM3 Threshold : 0 SSLMode : 0 Max_Msgs : 0 Min_Interval : 0 Ruleset : Top_lines : 0 Def_action : 0 SMTP PND # Pegasus Mail SMTP definition, 19 Nov 2023, 16:58:50 Title : GMX stmp Type : SMTP Flags1 : 2052 Flags2 : 0 Timeout : 30 Port : 10465 Host : 127.0.0.1 Username : msetzerii@gmx.com Password : deleted Envelope_Address : msetzerii@gmx.com Mailbox : POPDef_name : POP0HXBP.PND SSLMode : 0 Max_Msgs : 0 ![6559b5944b834](serve/attachment&path=6559b5944b834) ![6559b594d4dee](serve/attachment&path=6559b594d4dee) ![6559b594d6291](serve/attachment&path=6559b594d6291) So, some places required the gmx.com, but that seems to work. That is with 4.81, but would assume it would be same with older versions.

mikes@guam.net

This are the requiered settings for pop3 and smtp data from gmx.com. Please try this settings and activate ssl:
https://support.gmx.com/pop-imap/pop3/serverdata.html
655a21fbec534

This are the requiered settings for pop3 and smtp data from gmx.com. Please try this settings and activate ssl: https://support.gmx.com/pop-imap/pop3/serverdata.html ![655a21fbec534](serve/attachment&path=655a21fbec534)

Pegasus v4.81 Beta

edited Nov 19 '23 at 2:58 pm
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft