Community Discussions and Support
Username??

I freely agree that I have no idea what I am doing. My computer died. It had pmail installed on the hard drive,(which was actually a secondary drive, the C: drive being an SSD.) I got a new desktop, and installed the old hard drive in it, (again, as a secondary drive). I was gratified to find that running pmail from the transplanted H/D seems to work entirely satisfactorily except that it boots into a screen asking for my username. I have tried entering every possible combination of my first name, "Admin", my wife's name, the name of my old computer, (Dell), and "User", with and without caps and small letters, to no avail. Everything gives a message, "The user you are attempting to 'become' does not exist on the system."
I have multiple backups of the program to which I can revert if necessary. Would it work to install a new installation of pmail from scratch, and then copy over, for example, the MAIL folder from the old installation? Or is there some simple way of finding the username?

I freely agree that I have no idea what I am doing. My computer died. It had pmail installed on the hard drive,(which was actually a secondary drive, the C: drive being an SSD.) I got a new desktop, and installed the old hard drive in it, (again, as a secondary drive). I was gratified to find that running pmail from the transplanted H/D seems to work entirely satisfactorily **except** that it boots into a screen asking for my username. I have tried entering every possible combination of my first name, "Admin", my wife's name, the name of my old computer, (Dell), and "User", with and without caps and small letters, to no avail. Everything gives a message, "The user you are attempting to 'become' does not exist on the system." I have multiple backups of the program to which I can revert if necessary. Would it work to install a new installation of pmail from scratch, and then copy over, for example, the MAIL folder from the old installation? Or is there some simple way of finding the username?

I suspect that to old drive has been assigned a different drive letter than it had on previous PC. Below are my notes-to-self on the subject. Read through it. Stop and ask if you have any questions or encounter any oddities during the process.

When Pegasus Mail prompts for a User name...

A known cause is a change to the path of the Pegasus Mail installation or the location of the mailboxes. When this happens, the path(s) stored in the PMAIL.CFG becomes invalid. The PMAIL.CFG file is one of the few few configuration files in Pegasus Mail that is not a plain text file. It can not be edited with a text editor. A new PMAIL.CFG file must be created using the Pegasus Mail utility named pconfig32.exe.

• Make a safety copy of Pegasus Mail.
  • Use a file explorer to navigate to the Pegasus Mail \Programs directory.
  • Locate the file named pconfig32.exe double click on it to run it.
  • When it opens, you will see a box at the top labeled Configuration directory:. It will be populated with the path to the last run instance of Pegasus Mail. Delete that content. The box should now be empty. (There is info in that window about this)
  • Click the Continue button
  • The next screen will contain a box labeled Directory:. In that box enter the path to the root mailbox directory suffixed with ~N. Make sure the path is correct and is to the root mailbox directory and not to one of the mailbox directories. For example, in a default multi-user installation, the mailbox directories are in the directory path C:\PMAIL\MAIL so the entry in the Directory: field would be "C:\PMAIL\MAIL~N" (no quotes). DO NOT ENTER THE PATH I JUST PROVIDED UNLESS IT IS INDEED VALID FOR YOUR PEGASUS MAIL INSTALLATION!
  • Once you have verified the path entered in the Directory field click the "Save and Exit" button (ignore the Mail Gateways section on this screen).

A new PMAIL.CFG file will now exist that contains the path to the mailbox directory that you entered in pconfig32.

I suspect that to old drive has been assigned a different drive letter than it had on previous PC. Below are my notes-to-self on the subject. Read through it. Stop and ask if you have any questions or encounter any oddities during the process. When Pegasus Mail prompts for a User name... A known cause is a change to the path of the Pegasus Mail installation or the location of the mailboxes. When this happens, the path(s) stored in the PMAIL.CFG becomes invalid. The PMAIL.CFG file is one of the few few configuration files in Pegasus Mail that is not a plain text file. It can not be edited with a text editor. A new PMAIL.CFG file must be created using the Pegasus Mail utility named pconfig32.exe. - Make a safety copy of Pegasus Mail. - Use a file explorer to navigate to the Pegasus Mail \Programs directory. - Locate the file named pconfig32.exe double click on it to run it. - When it opens, you will see a box at the top labeled Configuration directory:. It will be populated with the path to the last run instance of Pegasus Mail. Delete that content. The box should now be empty. (There is info in that window about this) - Click the Continue button - The next screen will contain a box labeled Directory:. In that box enter the path to the root mailbox directory suffixed with ~N. Make sure the path is correct and is to the root mailbox directory and not to one of the mailbox directories. For example, in a default multi-user installation, the mailbox directories are in the directory path C:\PMAIL\MAIL so the entry in the Directory: field would be "C:\PMAIL\MAIL\~N" (no quotes). DO NOT ENTER THE PATH I JUST PROVIDED UNLESS IT IS INDEED VALID FOR YOUR PEGASUS MAIL INSTALLATION! - Once you have verified the path entered in the Directory field click the "Save and Exit" button (ignore the Mail Gateways section on this screen). A new PMAIL.CFG file will now exist that contains the path to the mailbox directory that you entered in pconfig32.

Bingo! I encountered problems getting my hard drive recognized by Windows, which is why I have not been able to respond before now. Your instructions were perfect, I was able to follow them with minimal difficulty, (which is a testament to your skill in writing them), and I am set back up - a marvellous Christmas present to myself.

Thank you so much.

Bingo! I encountered problems getting my hard drive recognized by Windows, which is why I have not been able to respond before now. Your instructions were perfect, I was able to follow them with minimal difficulty, (which is a testament to your skill in writing them), and I am set back up - a marvellous Christmas present to myself. Thank you so much.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft