Add-ons for Pegasus Mail
Do people get problems with the latest IERenderer ?

I recently updated IERenderer from version 2.7.1.4 to 2.7.1.5, and since then, I could no longer open e-mail messages. When I tried Pmail freezed. I tried to uninstall, and reinstall it, but it didn't help. Uninstalling it and then installing the older 2.7.1.4 version "solved" the problem. Now I can open messages. Anyone else had this problem? Should I report it elsewhere?

I recently updated IERenderer from version 2.7.1.4 to 2.7.1.5, and since then, I could no longer open e-mail messages. When I tried Pmail freezed. I tried to uninstall, and reinstall it, but it didn't help. Uninstalling it and then installing the older 2.7.1.4 version "solved" the problem. Now I can open messages. Anyone else had this problem? Should I report it elsewhere?

Yours is the first problem I have seen reported with IER 2.7.1.5. I suggest posting about it in the Pegasus Mail Community Discussions and Support forum. The author of IERenderer will see it there.

Yours is the first problem I have seen reported with IER 2.7.1.5. I suggest posting about it in the Pegasus Mail Community Discussions and Support forum. The author of IERenderer will see it there.

Should I report it elsewhere?

We can do it right here, I'm getting notified about posts to this forum. First question would be which version of Pegasus Mail is being used and maybe more important: which Windows version?

PS: Checked your history of posts and saw XP being mentioned: If running Pegasus Mail on a fully patched version of XP SP3 I don't see any issues here, if your version doesn't fit into this scheme then you're off now. David Harris recently told us beta-testers that he's going to provide Pegasus Mail for Win 10 or later only from now on (latest starting with v5, I assume), so don't expect IER to stay behind for supporting unpatched XP versions. We really need some basic stuff to work not the least for safety reasons.

[quote="pid:56294, uid:2231"]Should I report it elsewhere?[/quote] We can do it right here, I'm getting notified about posts to this forum. First question would be which version of Pegasus Mail is being used and maybe more important: which Windows version? PS: Checked your history of posts and saw XP being mentioned: If running Pegasus Mail on a fully patched version of XP SP3 I don't see any issues here, if your version doesn't fit into this scheme then you're off now. David Harris recently told us beta-testers that he's going to provide Pegasus Mail for Win 10 or later only from now on (latest starting with v5, I assume), so don't expect IER to stay behind for supporting unpatched XP versions. We really need some basic stuff to work not the least for safety reasons.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
edited Jan 13 at 4:30 pm

If there's a chance for fixing anything it can only be done if you can provide a dump file created with my MiniDump extension: You would need to download it from https://www.pmpgp.de/pmtools/MiniDumpAndSources.zip and install it by running its installer which should still run on XP. You would then need to start Pegasus Mail with IER 2.7.1.5 installed until it "freezes", then go to the Start menu group created by the MiniDump installer and launch it via its "PMDebug Snapshot" item. After finishing its job you will need to reinstall IER 2.7.1.4 or at least disable IER from its toolbar button menu (if that works for) before opening the auto-saved message with the dump file attached which should be prepared for sending to our <beta-reports [at] pmail.gen.nz> account where I can check whether there's an issue I can work around or not.

If there&#039;s a chance for fixing anything it can only be done if you can provide a dump file created with my MiniDump extension: You would need to download it from &lt;https://www.pmpgp.de/pmtools/MiniDumpAndSources.zip&gt; and install it by running its installer which should still run on XP. You would then need to start Pegasus Mail with IER 2.7.1.5 installed until it &quot;freezes&quot;, then go to the Start menu group created by the MiniDump installer and launch it via its &quot;PMDebug Snapshot&quot; item. After finishing its job you will need to reinstall IER 2.7.1.4 or at least disable IER from its toolbar button menu (if that works for) before opening the auto-saved message with the dump file attached which should be prepared for sending to our &lt;beta-reports [at] pmail.gen.nz&gt; account where I can check whether there&#039;s an issue I can work around or not.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Thank you Brian, and Michael.

I use Windows 10 (64bit) latest patches (22H2), and Pegasus 4.80
16GB RAM.
My PC seems to work fine otherwise.
I guess that I'll have the time to reinstall version 2.7.1.5 and make minidump report tomorrow.

Thank you Brian, and Michael. I use Windows 10 (64bit) latest patches (22H2), and Pegasus 4.80 16GB RAM. My PC seems to work fine otherwise. I guess that I&#039;ll have the time to reinstall version 2.7.1.5 and make minidump report tomorrow.
edited Jan 13 at 11:25 pm

OK I posted the crash dump.

Has the subject: "Crash dump report 2024-01-13#23-59-05 (PMDebug 2.5.8.34)"

Thanks

OK I posted the crash dump. Has the subject: &quot;Crash dump report 2024-01-13#23-59-05 (PMDebug 2.5.8.34)&quot; Thanks
edited Jan 14 at 12:30 am

OK I posted the crash dump.

Thanks, I've checked it, but it doesn't show anything pointing to code that has recently been changed although definitely beeing responsible for a wait state. The only suggestion I can make for now is to update Pegasus Mail to v4.81 public beta via https://www.pmail.com/v48x.htm: I've already checked v4.80 with the latest IER on my development machine and it doesn't freeze on this one machine either, but since v4.81 also provides better debug capabilities it might at least help with this if it doesn't fix your issue in your environment. With respect to reliability it is better than v4.80 and since I've seen your mailbox paths in the dump mail you sent its only relevant issue should not affect you. Creating a backup before updating is recommended like always anyway, any IER updates won't get reversed by it.

PS: Sorry, I was wrong with my comment about your mailbox paths, this info wasn't in you dump message, see my next reply about how to find them and make sure they (i.e. home and new mail paths) don't differ before installing v4.81! Otherwise get back to us for further advice!

[quote=&quot;pid:56305, uid:2231&quot;]OK I posted the crash dump.[/quote] Thanks, I&#039;ve checked it, but it doesn&#039;t show anything pointing to code that has recently been changed although definitely beeing responsible for a wait state. The only suggestion I can make for now is to update Pegasus Mail to v4.81 public beta via https://www.pmail.com/v48x.htm: I&#039;ve already checked v4.80 with the latest IER on my development machine and it doesn&#039;t freeze on this one machine either, but since v4.81 also provides better debug capabilities it might at least help with this if it doesn&#039;t fix your issue in your environment. With respect to reliability it is better than v4.80 and since I&#039;ve seen your mailbox paths in the dump mail you sent its only relevant issue should not affect you. Creating a backup before updating is recommended like always anyway, any IER updates won&#039;t get reversed by it. PS: Sorry, I was wrong with my comment about your mailbox paths, this info wasn&#039;t in you dump message, see my next reply about how to find them and make sure they (i.e. home and new mail paths) don&#039;t differ before installing v4.81! Otherwise get back to us for further advice!
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Jan 14 at 11:34 pm

uzi,

if PM 481 doesn't help can you please check whether your issue only occurs on some messages (I assume it only affects formatted HTML messages to begin with), and if so, can you please forward a sample message to the same account at < beta-reports [at] pmail.gen.nz >, either as an attachment to a new message or as CNM-file from your new message directory? Filenames are shown by righ-clicking messages in their folder on the Message properties screen selected from the context menu, the new mail path can be found via PM's main menu's Help > About Pegasus Mail > Info page.

uzi, if PM 481 doesn&#039;t help can you please check whether your issue only occurs on some messages (I assume it only affects formatted HTML messages to begin with), and if so, can you please forward a sample message to the same account at &lt; beta-reports [at] pmail.gen.nz &gt;, either as an attachment to a new message or as CNM-file from your new message directory? Filenames are shown by righ-clicking messages in their folder on the _Message properties_ screen selected from the context menu, the new mail path can be found via PM&#039;s main menu&#039;s Help &gt; About Pegasus Mail &gt; Info page.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Thank you Michael. I did as you said, and posted a crash dump.
Subject is: "Crash dump report 2024-01-14#23-26-36 (PMDebug 2.5.8.34)"
As expected, the same situation with 4.81.

Highly appreciate your work, and in any case it was a good idea to update to PMail 4.81 even though this version is still a beta.

Thank you Michael. I did as you said, and posted a crash dump. Subject is: &quot;Crash dump report 2024-01-14#23-26-36 (PMDebug 2.5.8.34)&quot; As expected, the same situation with 4.81. Highly appreciate your work, and in any case it was a good idea to update to PMail 4.81 even though this version is still a beta.

The problem occured with all messages that I tried. Most of the messages that I get are with HTML, but I chose to check with messages that came from mailing lists in English from the US, so that no issue with special characters or international standards would be involved.

I posted a sample message as attachment.

The problem occured with all messages that I tried. Most of the messages that I get are with HTML, but I chose to check with messages that came from mailing lists in English from the US, so that no issue with special characters or international standards would be involved. I posted a sample message as attachment.

The problem occured with all messages that I tried.

This is extremely weird, it's a core function for loading messages supplied to IER for HTML processing and there has nothing been changed in this place for a very long time plus nobody else encounters this issue. Since it's such a severe incident I would certainly now if anyone else would encounter it, without it IER just can't work as you clearly can see and I really don't know any other solution than trial and error guessing ...

[quote=&quot;pid:56309, uid:2231&quot;]The problem occured with all messages that I tried.[/quote] This is extremely weird, it&#039;s a core function for loading messages supplied to IER for HTML processing and there has nothing been changed in this place for a very long time plus nobody else encounters this issue. Since it&#039;s such a severe incident I would certainly now if anyone else would encounter it, without it IER just can&#039;t work as you clearly can see and I really don&#039;t know any other solution than trial and error guessing ...
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

FYI: I created a test version for Uzi which he confirmed to be working, it shouldn't cause any new issues but, as always, we never know until someone proves us wrong. Expect to see a public announcement latest if getting knowledge about more users encountering issues!

FYI: I created a test version for Uzi which he confirmed to be working, it shouldn&#039;t cause any new issues but, as always, we never know until someone proves us wrong. Expect to see a public announcement latest if getting knowledge about more users encountering issues!
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Just as an additional note: The short term solution may cause crashes, Uzi, the final release will fix this.

Just as an additional note: The short term solution may cause crashes, Uzi, the final release will fix this.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft