Community Discussions and Support
Wrong font spacing/display in message composing

Hi, all!

From this morning, display font in message composing is not working properly. Spacing between letters and between words is inconsistent, and spacing for the beginning of the line changes while typing new words.

There is also a smaller problem with line spacing : the blinking caret is shifted up and the next line overlaps the bottom of the previous one.

I changed font from the toolbar as well as the default, no improvement. In "To:" or "Subject" it works well, even if according to the .INI file, it should use the same font as in the body

I'm working on Windows 11.

I also tried to :

• reboot the PC and install the latest system updates

• force PM compatibility mode to Windows XP,

• force my dual-screen display scale to 100% for both

• Install a fresh copy of PM in another folder and check the editor

with no luck.

Am I the only one to experience this problem?

Hi, all! From this morning, display font in message composing is not working properly. Spacing between letters and between words is inconsistent, and spacing for the beginning of the line changes while typing new words. There is also a smaller problem with line spacing : the blinking caret is shifted up and the next line overlaps the bottom of the previous one. I changed font from the toolbar as well as the default, no improvement. In "To:" or "Subject" it works well, even if according to the .INI file, it should use the same font as in the body I'm working on Windows 11. I also tried to : - reboot the PC and install the latest system updates - force PM compatibility mode to Windows XP, - force my dual-screen display scale to 100% for both - Install a fresh copy of PM in another folder and check the editor with no luck. Am I the only one to experience this problem?

OK, I could identify which option this issue is linked to.

By ticking "Disable all text styling options (never send styled mail)" in "Tools > Options > Outgoing Mail > Message formatting", it works well again.

It sounds like the software component for styled text editing is incompatible with something new in my Windows 11 OS (an software framework update of some kind?)

I will manage with unstyled mails from now on…

OK, I could identify which option this issue is linked to. By ticking "Disable all text styling options (never send styled mail)" in "Tools > Options > Outgoing Mail > Message formatting", it works well again. It sounds like the software component for **styled** text editing is incompatible with something new in my Windows 11 OS (an software framework update of some kind?) I will manage with unstyled mails from now on…

Which version of Pegasus Mail do you use?

Which version of Pegasus Mail do you use?
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

Hi, Michael,

Thanks for answering, I'm using PM version 4.80.1028

Hi, Michael, Thanks for answering, I'm using PM version 4.80.1028

I'm using PM version 4.80.1028

Which means you're already using the latest available version of the editor module for Pegasus Mail, so there's no need to try the public beta. So far you're the only user reporting this issue, but there are also lots of people exclusively using plain text mode opposed to not so many people using Windows 11 - as far as we can tell ... Only thing we can do for now is to ask other users on related mailing lists whether anyone can duplicate it. Can you trace it back to a recent Windows update, maybe? Actually, the editor module isn't part of any Windows or VC distribution, so it should not be affected other than by changes to any Windows core modules.

Well, I just have a maybe weird idea: Are you encountering some kind of "full justify" phenomenon? This might explain what you see with regard to letter and word spacing, but not line spacing. And there's still the question how this got enabled, if true: Programmatically the editor has myriads of settings and flags, but they aren't exposed to the public ... But anyway: If the styles toolbar is enabled you can switch justify settings so it might be worth a try to get closer to the roots of it all ...

[quote="pid:56315, uid:10915"]I'm using PM version 4.80.1028[/quote] Which means you're already using the latest available version of the editor module for Pegasus Mail, so there's no need to try the public beta. So far you're the only user reporting this issue, but there are also lots of people exclusively using plain text mode opposed to not so many people using Windows 11 - as far as we can tell ... Only thing we can do for now is to ask other users on related mailing lists whether anyone can duplicate it. Can you trace it back to a recent Windows update, maybe? Actually, the editor module isn't part of any Windows or VC distribution, so it _should not_ be affected other than by changes to any Windows core modules. Well, I just have a maybe weird idea: Are you encountering some kind of "full justify" phenomenon? This might explain what you see with regard to letter and word spacing, but not line spacing. And there's still the question how this got enabled, if true: Programmatically the editor has myriads of settings and flags, but they aren't exposed to the public ... But anyway: If the styles toolbar is enabled you can switch justify settings so it might be worth a try to get closer to the roots of it all ...
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Jan 17 at 5:45 am

Long time away from the forum... Let's see if I still know how to handle it.

So, I think something like described occurred here but it happened answering to a message and having For replies to HTML, preserve original's formatting. Were you editing a new message or replying to one?

Long time away from the forum... Let's see if I still know how to handle it. So, I think something like described occurred here but it happened answering to a message and having **For replies to HTML, preserve original's formatting**. Were you editing a new message or replying to one?

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

One of our beta-testers found this to happen if you select Generic / Text Only as the Windows default printer. If this shouldn't be the case for you, Olivier, it might be another printer (driver), you'll certainly figure out which one does the job for you.

One of our beta-testers found this to happen if you select _Generic / Text Only_ as the Windows default printer. If this shouldn't be the case for you, Olivier, it might be another printer (driver), you'll certainly figure out which one does the job for you.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Sorry for the delay.

Yes, Michael, it's definitely that!

I switched the default Windows printer from "Generic / Text Only" to "Microsoft Print to PDF", restarted PM and it worked!

Character/word spacing is now OK in styled editor

Thank you very much!

If help is needed to investigate this issue further, I can perform more tests.

Olivier

Sorry for the delay. Yes, Michael, it's definitely that! I switched the default Windows printer from "Generic / Text Only" to "Microsoft Print to PDF", restarted PM and it worked! Character/word spacing is now OK in styled editor Thank you very much! If help is needed to investigate this issue further, I can perform more tests. Olivier

If help is needed to investigate this issue further, I can perform more tests.

Thanks for the offer, it's an already known fact that the editor requires a printer (driver) to be selected for working properly, but it wasn't as yet known to us all that this particular driver would have such a weird side effect, so thanks for reporting as well!

[quote="pid:56319, uid:10915"]If help is needed to investigate this issue further, I can perform more tests.[/quote] Thanks for the offer, it's an already known fact that the editor requires a printer (driver) to be selected for working properly, but it wasn't as yet known to us all that this particular driver would have such a weird side effect, so thanks for reporting as well!
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Jan 19 at 12:21 pm
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft