Community Discussions and Support
End of support for 32 bit applications

I'm really interested to know what David Harris' source of the news that Microsoft is phasing out support for Win32 applications is, since nobody else seems to know anything about it. It's true that Windows 11 and beyond will not have a 32 bit VERSION, and that free support for Windows 10 (which is available in both a 32 and 64 bit version) is ending in October 2025 (not "this year." ) But the 64 bit VERSION of Win 11 runs both 64 bit and 32 bit APPLICATIONS just fine and I've heard nothing from anyone else about any plans to change that.

Mr. Harris has been saying 32 bit applications are going away for years and that worries me.

I'm really interested to know what David Harris' source of the news that Microsoft is phasing out support for Win32 applications is, since nobody else seems to know anything about it. It's true that Windows 11 and beyond will not have a 32 bit VERSION, and that free support for Windows 10 (which is available in both a 32 and 64 bit version) is ending in October 2025 (not "this year." ) But the 64 bit VERSION of Win 11 runs both 64 bit and 32 bit APPLICATIONS just fine and I've heard nothing from anyone else about any plans to change that. Mr. Harris has been saying 32 bit applications are going away for years and that worries me.

Mr. Harris has been saying 32 bit applications are going away for years and that worries me.

Where have you seen this?

Regardless, there isn't any reason to think it isn't coming. macOS stopped supporting 32 bit applications in 2018 with its 10.15 version.

Windows no longer supports 32 bit systems and it's difficult to find a Linux distro that does so I suspect it is only a matter of time before 32 bit applications become obsolete. I find it hard to envision it happening in the near future though. There must be an awful lot of small to mid sized businesses that are dependent on custom 32 bit apps.

[quote="pid:56395, uid:2298"]Mr. Harris has been saying 32 bit applications are going away for years and that worries me.[/quote] Where have you seen this? Regardless, there isn't any reason to think it isn't coming. macOS stopped supporting 32 bit applications in 2018 with its 10.15 version. Windows no longer supports 32 bit systems and it's difficult to find a Linux distro that does so I suspect it is only a matter of time before 32 bit applications become obsolete. I find it hard to envision it happening in the near future though. There must be an awful lot of small to mid sized businesses that are dependent on custom 32 bit apps.

Where have you seen this?

I guess he's refering to David's newest Developer News update at https://www.pmail.com/devnews.htm ...

[quote="pid:56396, uid:28772"]Where have you seen this?[/quote] I guess he's refering to David's newest _Developer News_ update at https://www.pmail.com/devnews.htm ...
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

My apologies. Yes, I was referring to the developer news.

I would agree that 32 bit applications will probably go away at some point in the way distant future, but Microsoft is really reluctant to remove features (unlike Apple.)

My apologies. Yes, I was referring to the developer news. I would agree that 32 bit applications will probably go away at some point in the way distant future, but Microsoft is really reluctant to remove features (unlike Apple.)
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft