Community Discussions and Support
Compressing a clogged up junk file

When I delete messages, I get the response that the file is overfull (up to 2 gigs apparently).... and nothing more can be copied/saved into it. Apparently the deleted file should be compressed to save space, that's what the message says.... Why can't the deleted file simply be emptied completely??
I have no idea about this, being a very naive user (have used Pegasus mail for years but have no idea how it works, sorry..).
Can anyone explain the problem to me in simple terms, and how to resolve it?
Or should I just take my device to a local geek and get him to fix it..?
Thanks for any advice...
Winston Roberts
(Lower Hutt, NZ)

When I delete messages, I get the response that the file is overfull (up to 2 gigs apparently).... and nothing more can be copied/saved into it. Apparently the deleted file should be compressed to save space, that's what the message says.... Why can't the deleted file simply be emptied completely?? I have no idea about this, being a very naive user (have used Pegasus mail for years but have no idea how it works, sorry..). Can anyone explain the problem to me in simple terms, and how to resolve it? Or should I just take my device to a local geek and get him to fix it..? Thanks for any advice... Winston Roberts (Lower Hutt, NZ)

Edit: It just struck me that the topic of this discussion mentions the junk file and I was thrown off by the first line of the post that said "When I delete messages, I get the response that the file is overfull". I now wonder if the problem occurs when attempting to delete messages from the Junk folder. If so, follow these steps:

• Close Pegasus Mail
  • Use a file explorer to navigate to your home mailbox directory (typically C:\PMail\MAIL\Admin)
  • Delete the files named junk.pmm and junk.pmi.
  • Navigate to C:\PMail\Programs\DEFAULTS. Copy the junk.pmm and junk.pmi files that are there into the home mailbox directory.
  • Start Pegasus Mail
  • Go to Tools > Spam and content control > Spamhalter. In the center of the resulting window you will see a "Select" button which sets the destination folder for junk messages. Click it and then select the "Junk and suspicious mail" folder. Do this even though that folder is already showing as the Spam folder.
  • Edit any filters that were diverting mail to the previous junk folder. The new junk folder needs to be selected as the destination folder in these filters even though the folder name is the same.

That should do it.

You can auto-delete messages in the junk folder with a folder-open or folder-close filter that deletes messages older than a specified number of days. Start a new discussion requesting help with that if needed/desired.

===Begin content of my original response which is probably irrelevant.===

Are you unable to delete messages from the Deleted Messages folder?

Are there any deleted messages that you care to save? If not, have you tried deleting the Deleted Messages folder? It is ok to do that. It will automatically be recreated on next deletion.

Do you know why the tag associated with this post references "file name: junk.pmm" which is the "Junk or suspicious mail" folder not the "Deleted Messages" folder?

Be aware that the handling of Deleted Messages is somewhat configurable. You have the following options:

1. Delete immediately (don't put message in Deleted Messages folder).
  2. Move deleted messages to Deleted Messages folder for the current session of Pegasus Mail (the Deleted Messages folder will be removed at shutdown and then recreated upon first deletion done in a subsequent session)
  3. Keep deleted messages (written to the Deleted Messages folder). Manual maintenance of Deleted Messages folder is require.

You currently have it configured for option 3. Let us know if you would prefer one of the other options and need guidance on how to do it.

Edit: It just struck me that the topic of this discussion mentions the junk file and I was thrown off by the first line of the post that said "When I delete messages, I get the response that the file is overfull". I now wonder if the problem occurs when attempting to delete messages from the Junk folder. If so, follow these steps: - Close Pegasus Mail - Use a file explorer to navigate to your home mailbox directory (typically C:\PMail\MAIL\Admin) - Delete the files named junk.pmm and junk.pmi. - Navigate to C:\PMail\Programs\DEFAULTS. Copy the junk.pmm and junk.pmi files that are there into the home mailbox directory. - Start Pegasus Mail - Go to Tools > Spam and content control > Spamhalter. In the center of the resulting window you will see a "Select" button which sets the destination folder for junk messages. Click it and then select the "Junk and suspicious mail" folder. Do this even though that folder is already showing as the Spam folder. - Edit any filters that were diverting mail to the previous junk folder. The new junk folder needs to be selected as the destination folder in these filters even though the folder name is the same. That should do it. You can auto-delete messages in the junk folder with a folder-open or folder-close filter that deletes messages older than a specified number of days. Start a new discussion requesting help with that if needed/desired. ===Begin content of my original response which is probably irrelevant.=== Are you unable to delete messages from the Deleted Messages folder? Are there any deleted messages that you care to save? If not, have you tried deleting the Deleted Messages folder? It is ok to do that. It will automatically be recreated on next deletion. Do you know why the tag associated with this post references "file name: junk.pmm" which is the "Junk or suspicious mail" folder not the "Deleted Messages" folder? Be aware that the handling of Deleted Messages is somewhat configurable. You have the following options: 1. Delete immediately (don't put message in Deleted Messages folder). 2. Move deleted messages to Deleted Messages folder for the current session of Pegasus Mail (the Deleted Messages folder will be removed at shutdown and then recreated upon first deletion done in a subsequent session) 3. Keep deleted messages (written to the Deleted Messages folder). Manual maintenance of Deleted Messages folder is require. You currently have it configured for option 3. Let us know if you would prefer one of the other options and need guidance on how to do it.
edited Feb 10 at 12:32 am
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft