Community Discussions and Support
Need Info on how to make IERenderer configuration changes stick

How can I make my configuration changes to IERenderer stick? After shutting down Pegasus mail and restarting, IERenderer reverts back to default every time. Thank you for your help.

How can I make my configuration changes to IERenderer stick? After shutting down Pegasus mail and restarting, IERenderer reverts back to default every time. Thank you for your help.

The configuration settings are stored in a file named IERenderer.ini which is located in your home mailbox directory. Confirm that it exists, make a configuration change, then check it to see if its timestamp changed to correspond with the time that you made the change. If it didn't, something is preventing it from being written to. Perhaps it somehow got set to read-only.

The configuration settings are stored in a file named IERenderer.ini which is located in your home mailbox directory. Confirm that it exists, make a configuration change, then check it to see if its timestamp changed to correspond with the time that you made the change. If it didn't, something is preventing it from being written to. Perhaps it somehow got set to read-only.

Dear Brian, Thank you for your directions. I opened Pegasus mail and IERenderer and clicked on Configuration; the dialog box showed it was back to default. I then followed your instructions and checked the timestamp on IERenderer.ini using Windows Explorer - it was the same time I opened Pegasus. I then made changes in Pegasus IERenderer Configuration and looking back at Windows Explorer I saw the timestamp was indeed updated. I then closed Pegasus and then reopened Pergasus, IERenderer, and Configuration and saw it was back to default... BUT THIS TIME when I again clicked on Configuration the following message came up:

"For some changes (e.g. the security settings) to take effect you need to switch to a plain text message or close and reopen the display window before reloading the current one!"

I then made sure I was on a plain text message and then made my IERenderer Configuration changes once again. This time they seem to be sticking (after colsing and reopening Pegasus a few times). Please note: This is the first time I have ever seen this dialog box message come up after trying to change the configuration for many weeks. Had it come up previously I would not have bothered you and this Discussion / Support forum. (However, I wonder if others are only recently seeing these new instructions)?

Thanks again, Bill

Dear Brian, Thank you for your directions. I opened Pegasus mail and IERenderer and clicked on Configuration; the dialog box showed it was back to default. I then followed your instructions and checked the timestamp on IERenderer.ini using Windows Explorer - it was the same time I opened Pegasus. I then made changes in Pegasus IERenderer Configuration and looking back at Windows Explorer I saw the timestamp was indeed updated. I then closed Pegasus and then reopened Pergasus, IERenderer, and Configuration and saw it was back to default... BUT THIS TIME when I again clicked on Configuration the following message came up: **_ "For some changes (e.g. the security settings) to take effect you need to switch to a plain text message or close and reopen the display window before reloading the current one!"_** I then made sure I was on a plain text message and then made my IERenderer Configuration changes once again. This time they seem to be sticking (after colsing and reopening Pegasus a few times). Please note: This is the first time I have ever seen this dialog box message come up after trying to change the configuration for many weeks. Had it come up previously I would not have bothered you and this Discussion / Support forum. (However, I wonder if others are only recently seeing these new instructions)? Thanks again, Bill

Please note: This is the first time I have ever seen this dialog box message come up after trying to change the configuration for many weeks. Had it come up previously I would not have bothered you and this Discussion / Support forum. (However, I wonder if others are only recently seeing these new instructions)?

I am familiar with that message but don't always see it. I don't believe my IERenderer configuration changes have been dependent on whether or not I see it though.

I believe that IER configuration used to only be available when a message containing HTML content was selected. That does not appear to be the case any more. I am hopeful that Michael IDW will see this and provide some clarity.

[quote="pid:56519, uid:39421"]Please note: This is the first time I have ever seen this dialog box message come up after trying to change the configuration for many weeks. Had it come up previously I would not have bothered you and this Discussion / Support forum. (However, I wonder if others are only recently seeing these new instructions)?[/quote] I am familiar with that message but don't always see it. I don't believe my IERenderer configuration changes have been dependent on whether or not I see it though. I believe that IER configuration used to only be available when a message containing HTML content was selected. That does not appear to be the case any more. I am hopeful that Michael IDW will see this and provide some clarity.

How do you exit Pegasus?
Believe that some things require using the file/exit option rather than the X in the upper right corner?
Not sure what options require that, or why it makes a difference. Since the time stamp isn't changing seems something is stopping changes from being saved.

Might also want to make sure the read-only attrib isn't set, and that the user has full rights to file.

Did you manually open the IERender.ini file, and check what it is showing for the option that you changed?

Had a copy of it in a test directory, but since it doesn't work with wine under linux, have to uninstall it completely.
Have checked it on windows 10, and 11, and seems nice, but I seldom using windows. Pegasus works well for me under Linux with native TER32 and HTS32 rather than with BEARHTML or IERender, but think it is a wine issue not fully supporting internet explorer, since firefox and other browsers work fine.

Good Luck.

How do you exit Pegasus? Believe that some things require using the file/exit option rather than the X in the upper right corner? Not sure what options require that, or why it makes a difference. Since the time stamp isn't changing seems something is stopping changes from being saved. Might also want to make sure the read-only attrib isn't set, and that the user has full rights to file. Did you manually open the IERender.ini file, and check what it is showing for the option that you changed? Had a copy of it in a test directory, but since it doesn't work with wine under linux, have to uninstall it completely. Have checked it on windows 10, and 11, and seems nice, but I seldom using windows. Pegasus works well for me under Linux with native TER32 and HTS32 rather than with BEARHTML or IERender, but think it is a wine issue not fully supporting internet explorer, since firefox and other browsers work fine. Good Luck.

mikes@guam.net

Dear msetzerrii, I nearly always close Pegasus by using the "X" in the upper right corner. Also, your read on my observation of the timestamp change is incorrect. As mentioned in my response to Brian, I am seeing the timestamp change (i.e. update) on my IERenderer.ini when I make changes in Configuration. They (my changes that is) seem now to be sticking (meaning when I "X" shut down Pegasus and then restart) once I made sure I was clicked onto a text only message while making changes in Configuration.

Thanks Bill

Dear msetzerrii, I nearly always close Pegasus by using the "X" in the upper right corner. Also, your read on my observation of the timestamp change is incorrect. As mentioned in my response to Brian, I am seeing the timestamp change (i.e. update) on my IERenderer.ini when I make changes in Configuration. They (my changes that is) seem now to be sticking (meaning when I "X" shut down Pegasus and then restart) once I made sure I was clicked onto a text only message while making changes in Configuration. Thanks Bill

I believe that IER configuration used to only be available when a message containing HTML content was selected. That does not appear to be the case any more. I am hopeful that Michael IDW will see this and provide some clarity.

As far as I remember the Config option was never disabled if only plain text is showing since configuring IER shouldn't need any IER reader window or HTML content to be accessible - but I'm not sure.

And with regard to Config options taking effect: This does not mean they aren't saved to file when closing IER's configuration dialog, some of them just need a new IER reader instance to be created (the WinSock option even needs a Pegasus Mail relaunch). Configuration changes are always saved to file on closing the dialog without cancelling if they can be verified by comparing the most recent values to the ones read in on opening the dialog. If this does not work there's something seriously going wrong on the user's machine preventing this - and, for those wanting to know more about the details: I'm using FILE_FLAG_WRITE_THROUGH.

And, BTW, just a note about the reliability of file access times according to MS:

The NTFS file system delays update to the last access time for a file by up to one hour after the last access.

[quote="pid:56520, uid:28772"]I believe that IER configuration used to only be available when a message containing HTML content was selected. That does not appear to be the case any more. I am hopeful that Michael IDW will see this and provide some clarity.[/quote] As far as I remember the Config option was never disabled if only plain text is showing since configuring IER shouldn't need any IER reader window or HTML content to be accessible - but I'm not sure. And with regard to Config options taking effect: This does *not* mean they aren't saved to file when closing IER's configuration dialog, some of them just need a new IER reader instance to be created (the WinSock option even needs a Pegasus Mail relaunch). Configuration changes are *always* saved to file on closing the dialog without cancelling if they can be verified by comparing the most recent values to the ones read in on opening the dialog. If this does *not* work there's something seriously going wrong on the user's machine preventing this - and, for those wanting to know more about the details: I'm using [FILE_FLAG_WRITE_THROUGH](https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/file-caching). And, BTW, just a note about the reliability of file access times [according to MS:](https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/setting-and-getting-the-timestamp-of-a-file) > The NTFS file system delays update to the last access time for a file by up to one hour after the last access.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
edited Mar 24 at 1:46 am

As mentioned in my response to Brian, I am seeing the timestamp change (i.e. update) on my IERenderer.ini when I make changes in Configuration.

IER's Config file is written independently of shutting down Pegasus Mail, even PM's options are mostly written to PMAIL.INI without shutting it down - unfortunately not all of them, though.

[quote="pid:56522, uid:39421"]As mentioned in my response to Brian, I am seeing the timestamp change (i.e. update) on my IERenderer.ini when I make changes in Configuration.[/quote] IER's Config file is written independently of shutting down Pegasus Mail, even PM's options are mostly written to PMAIL.INI without shutting it down - unfortunately not all of them, though.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

I then closed Pegasus and then reopened Pergasus, IERenderer, and Configuration and saw it was back to default... BUT THIS TIME when I again clicked on Configuration the following message came up:

Well, I guess I've now figured out by accident what must be causing this: The message dialog you saw automatically closes after some time if you don't act on it. It should, of course, not modify any of the configuration settings in such a case but it apparently does as I noticed myself because suddenly my web search configuration had reverted to its default. I'm now going to fix this for the next update.

[quote="pid:56519, uid:39421"]I then closed Pegasus and then reopened Pergasus, IERenderer, and Configuration and saw it was back to default... BUT THIS TIME when I again clicked on Configuration the following message came up:[/quote] Well, I guess I've now figured out by accident what must be causing this: The message dialog you saw automatically closes after some time if you don't act on it. It should, of course, not modify any of the configuration settings in such a case but it apparently does as I noticed myself because suddenly my web search configuration had reverted to its default. I'm now going to fix this for the next update.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Mar 25 at 1:26 am

Ok, looks like this was some kind of coincidence with something else because I couldn't get the clipboard to work at the same time when this happend. I cannot duplicate the reset of options anymore so nothing to fix as it turns out for now ...

Ok, looks like this was some kind of coincidence with something else because I couldn't get the clipboard to work at the same time when this happend. I cannot duplicate the reset of options anymore so nothing to fix as it turns out for now ...
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft