Community Discussions and Support
Updating old Pegasus Mail version

I've been using Pegasus Mail for many years, and am currently on version w32-472.

I've had some health issues in recent years, and am aware that I'm behind on some of my system software, and am looking to upgrade.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro.

Is it sufficient to install w32-480 on top of what I have, or is it more complicated than that?

Also, my current ISP is having some difficulties, and I'm looking around to see what the alternatives are. Are there some recommended ISPs that will work with Pegasus Mail as a client?

I have my own domain that I would like to transfer, as part of the process of going with a new ISP.

Thanks.

I've been using Pegasus Mail for many years, and am currently on version w32-472. I've had some health issues in recent years, and am aware that I'm behind on some of my system software, and am looking to upgrade. I'm using Windows 10 Pro. Is it sufficient to install w32-480 on top of what I have, or is it more complicated than that? Also, my current ISP is having some difficulties, and I'm looking around to see what the alternatives are. Are there some recommended ISPs that will work with Pegasus Mail as a client? I have my own domain that I would like to transfer, as part of the process of going with a new ISP. Thanks.

Is it sufficient to install w32-480 on top of what I have, or is it more complicated than that?

There are no problems with updating (install over the top) however I suggest installing the 4.81 beta version. It fixed some bugs that were in 4.80. It has a couple of niggles that we can provide more details about if either are of concern:

1. Column width adjustments don't stick in maximized windows.
  2. When the Home and New mailbox locations are different, v4.81 may not see the SMTP, POP3, and/or IMAP configuration files.

I suggest doing a backup before upgrading just because it it a prudent thing to do.

As for ISP's, I don't have any recommendations but if you want POP3 connectivity, insure that whatever provider you chose to host your mail supports POP3. Not all do anymore.

[quote="pid:56530, uid:40585"]Is it sufficient to install w32-480 on top of what I have, or is it more complicated than that?[/quote] There are no problems with updating (install over the top) however I suggest installing the 4.81 beta version. It fixed some bugs that were in 4.80. It has a couple of niggles that we can provide more details about if either are of concern: 1. Column width adjustments don't stick in maximized windows. 2. When the Home and New mailbox locations are different, v4.81 may not see the SMTP, POP3, and/or IMAP configuration files. I suggest doing a backup before upgrading just because it it a prudent thing to do. As for ISP's, I don't have any recommendations but if you want POP3 connectivity, insure that whatever provider you chose to host your mail supports POP3. Not all do anymore.
edited Mar 27 at 6:48 pm

https://www.pmail.com/betas.htm is the link to the beta version, but has been out for over a year, so is stable, and does fix a few issues in the 4.80 version. Mainly that it causes words added to local dictionary to be wiped out. USRDICT5.PMD or older name of USRDICT3.PMD. Not sure when it changed. The 4.80 version had a bug that caused it to be blanked out, so save it. If going with 4.80, marking it as read-only before doing update.

The addition of GMAIL's new authentication is also included.

Good Luck.

https://www.pmail.com/betas.htm is the link to the beta version, but has been out for over a year, so is stable, and does fix a few issues in the 4.80 version. Mainly that it causes words added to local dictionary to be wiped out. USRDICT5.PMD or older name of USRDICT3.PMD. Not sure when it changed. The 4.80 version had a bug that caused it to be blanked out, so save it. If going with 4.80, marking it as read-only before doing update. The addition of GMAIL's new authentication is also included. Good Luck.

mikes@guam.net

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft