Community Discussions and Support
Cant authenticate new user

I created a new user in mercury, added the appropriate aliases and added them to my smtp pw text file, and no matter what i do mercury says they user doesnt exist and they cant send mail.
Any thoughts?

I created a new user in mercury, added the appropriate aliases and added them to my smtp pw text file, and no matter what i do mercury says they user doesnt exist and they cant send mail. Any thoughts?

Hi Steco,

for a regular user to send mail you don't need to create an alias.
What is in your pw file, the username password combo or the alias and password ?

Johannes

Hi Steco, for a regular user to send mail you don't need to create an alias. What is in your pw file, the username password combo or the alias and password ? Johannes

Thanks for the reply. I did try both, create a user, then i added aliases when mercury said they couldn't send mail. my smptpw file entry for this user has both.

what's the order mercury checks the user against which files?

Thanks for the reply. I did try both, create a user, then i added aliases when mercury said they couldn't send mail. my smptpw file entry for this user has both. what's the order mercury checks the user against which files?

Steco,

first, you can't send with an alias, as it is not a local user in that sense.
Second, did you write the entries in the correct order in you pw file ?
It has to be, username to the fat left, than empty space and than password.

joe mypassword

Johannes

Steco, first, you can't send with an alias, as it is not a local user in that sense. Second, did you write the entries in the correct order in you pw file ? It has to be, username to the fat left, than empty space and than password. Like joe mypassword Johannes
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft