Community Discussions and Support
pegasus mail "freezes"

Yep. It was in Admin.  I deleted the largest .cnm files, and I also set the 8000 limit as you suggested.  Thank You

Yep. It was in Admin.  I deleted the largest .cnm files, and I also set the 8000 limit as you suggested.  Thank You

I am in big trouble, pm does not start anymore!

from one moment to another - after collecting mails from my provider's mail-server, the program "halted". I think my last action was clicking the delete button to delete a new message.

I was forced to end the program via taskmanager.

now when I try to restart the program it asks if I really want to continue (because of the abnormal "exit" just before). when I click continue, it stops with the start-logo still visible (main window not) and the line "restoring desktop ..."

that is it. when the program is in this state it does not consume any cpu-cycles (according to sysinternals' taskmanager). it is just dead and I have to use taskmanager again to quit it.

I tried to do the trick with renaming the file "state.pmj" in order to make pegasus mail create a standard new one but the result is exactly the same.

I really need help here, I can't access my mails anymore!!!

I am in big trouble, pm does not start anymore! from one moment to another - after collecting mails from my provider's mail-server, the program "halted". I think my last action was clicking the delete button to delete a new message. I was forced to end the program via taskmanager. now when I try to restart the program it asks if I really want to continue (because of the abnormal "exit" just before). when I click continue, it stops with the start-logo still visible (main window not) and the line "restoring desktop ..." that is it. when the program is in this state it does not consume any cpu-cycles (according to sysinternals' taskmanager). it is just dead and I have to use taskmanager again to quit it. I tried to do the trick with renaming the file "state.pmj" in order to make pegasus mail create a standard new one but the result is exactly the same. I really need help here, I can't access my mails anymore!!!

> I am in big trouble, pm does not start anymore! from one moment to
> another - after collecting mails from my provider's mail-server, the
> program "halted". I think my last action was clicking the delete
> button to delete a new message. I was forced to end the program via
> taskmanager. now when I try to restart the program it asks if I
> really want to continue (because of the abnormal "exit" just
> before). when I click continue, it stops with the start-logo still
> visible (main window not) and the line "restoring desktop ..." that
> is it. when the program is in this state it does not consume any
> cpu-cycles (according to sysinternals' taskmanager). it is just dead
> and I have to use taskmanager again to quit it. I tried to do the
> trick with renaming the file "state.pmj" in order to make pegasus
> mail create a standard new one but the result is exactly the same. I
> really need help here, I can't access my mails anymore!!!

Move all of the *.CNM files out of the new mail directory and try again.  It should now open normally.  You can then put the messages back one at a time until you find the problem message.  

It's probaby going to be a really large message.  If you are using content control then I'd recommend that you set a limit on the message size so you are not scanning these large files with encoded attachments.

1.    Use  Tools | Spam and content controls | Content control...

2.    Select and edit the control definition

3.    Select the "Message tests" tab.

4.    Enter 8000 in "Check at most this many bytes in each message"

> I am in big trouble, pm does not start anymore! from one moment to > another - after collecting mails from my provider's mail-server, the > program "halted". I think my last action was clicking the delete > button to delete a new message. I was forced to end the program via > taskmanager. now when I try to restart the program it asks if I > really want to continue (because of the abnormal "exit" just > before). when I click continue, it stops with the start-logo still > visible (main window not) and the line "restoring desktop ..." that > is it. when the program is in this state it does not consume any > cpu-cycles (according to sysinternals' taskmanager). it is just dead > and I have to use taskmanager again to quit it. I tried to do the > trick with renaming the file "state.pmj" in order to make pegasus > mail create a standard new one but the result is exactly the same. I > really need help here, I can't access my mails anymore!!! Move all of the *.CNM files out of the new mail directory and try again.  It should now open normally.  You can then put the messages back one at a time until you find the problem message.   It's probaby going to be a really large message.  If you are using content control then I'd recommend that you set a limit on the message size so you are not scanning these large files with encoded attachments. 1.    Use  Tools | Spam and content controls | Content control... 2.    Select and edit the control definition 3.    Select the "Message tests" tab. 4.    Enter 8000 in "Check at most this many bytes in each message"

thank you for your answer! but I can report that as unexpected and unexplainable the error occured so suddenly the problem disappeared. I have no idea what made it happen but the very next day (after a fresh system restart) everything works flawlessly again. am I happy? :)

thank you for your answer! but I can report that as unexpected and unexplainable the error occured so suddenly the problem disappeared. I have no idea what made it happen but the very next day (after a fresh system restart) everything works flawlessly again. am I happy? :)

[quote user="DonPedro"].....after a fresh system restart.....[/quote]

[:#] 

<p>[quote user="DonPedro"].....after a fresh system restart.....[/quote]</p><p>[:#] </p>

Thomas

Which directory is the New Mail directory?  I see CNM files in a couple of places.  Pegasus freezes up on me every now and then, and a fresh reboot usually takes care of it. But this time it will not open at all.  It stops at "Opening New Mail ".  I just sent you an email, but then I realized that I cant see your reply until I get Pegasus fixed.  Can you help me?

<P>Thomas</P> <P>Which directory is the New Mail directory?  I see CNM files in a couple of places.  Pegasus freezes up on me every now and then, and a fresh reboot usually takes care of it. But this time it will not open at all.  It stops at "Opening New Mail ".  I just sent you an email, but then I realized that I cant see your reply until I get Pegasus fixed.  Can you help me?</P>

[quote user="Jim Antista"]

Thomas

Which directory is the New Mail directory?  I see CNM files in a couple of places.  Pegasus freezes up on me every now and then, and a fresh reboot usually takes care of it. But this time it will not open at all.  It stops at "Opening New Mail ".  I just sent you an email, but then I realized that I cant see your reply until I get Pegasus fixed.  Can you help me?

[/quote]

Hard to say, you did not provide much info.  The new mail folder will contain the new mail messages (*.cnm files) and the pmail.ini configuration file.   Generally it's in a folder structure below the WinPMail basic program directory structure but then it can be almost anywhere depending on how you are setup. 

Do you have multiple users?  If so the directory should also carry the name of the user.  If it's a single user setup with one of the v4 versions of the software it would be Admin by default.  Normally I'd tell you to use Help | About Pegasus mail | Info to get the directory structure but that's not much help when you can't open the program.  I gues you can find the pmail.ini file and open it in something like notepad to get the structure as well.

[quote user="Jim Antista"]<p>Thomas</p> <p>Which directory is the New Mail directory?  I see CNM files in a couple of places.  Pegasus freezes up on me every now and then, and a fresh reboot usually takes care of it. But this time it will not open at all.  It stops at "Opening New Mail ".  I just sent you an email, but then I realized that I cant see your reply until I get Pegasus fixed.  Can you help me?</p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Hard to say, you did not provide much info.  The new mail folder will contain the new mail messages (*.cnm files) and the pmail.ini configuration file.   Generally it's in a folder structure below the WinPMail basic program directory structure but then it can be almost anywhere depending on how you are setup.  </p><p>Do you have multiple users?  If so the directory should also carry the name of the user.  If it's a single user setup with one of the v4 versions of the software it would be Admin by default.  Normally I'd tell you to use Help | About Pegasus mail | Info to get the directory structure but that's not much help when you can't open the program.  I gues you can find the pmail.ini file and open it in something like notepad to get the structure as well.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft