Community Discussions and Support
Spamhalter folder questions

Good to hear that you could eventually fix the database. [:)]

<p>Good to hear that you could eventually fix the database. [:)]</p><p> </p><p> </p>

In Pegasus Mail, Is it necessary to keep the messages classified as spam with spamhalter IN the spamhalter folder?  I've been dumping files in there since spamhalter was introduced, and almost nothing gets automatically classified.  And when I consider purging old files, there are always exactly ZERO old files for purging.

Also, a many messages seem to be unclassifiable even when placed in the Spamhalter folder i.e. neither the red nor the green in the traffic light goes on, and if you look at the data, the probabilities are 0% and there's no supporting data - and reclassifying it doesn't help.

Also, when I upgrade to the latest version of spamhalter, as advertised elsewhere in these fora, PM crashes on startup. I've posted this before in someone else's post about the upgrade, with no response.

Any suggestions, recommendations, etc...?

Shah

<p>In Pegasus Mail, Is it necessary to keep the messages classified as spam with spamhalter IN the spamhalter folder?  I've been dumping files in there since spamhalter was introduced, and almost nothing gets automatically classified.  And when I consider purging old files, there are always exactly ZERO old files for purging.</p><p>Also, a many messages seem to be unclassifiable even when placed in the Spamhalter folder i.e. neither the red nor the green in the traffic light goes on, and if you look at the data, the probabilities are 0% and there's no supporting data - and reclassifying it doesn't help.</p><p>Also, when I upgrade to the latest version of spamhalter, as advertised elsewhere in these fora, PM crashes on startup. I've posted this before in someone else's post about the upgrade, with no response.  </p><p>Any suggestions, recommendations, etc...? Shah </p>

[quote user="Shaharin"][...] Is it necessary to keep the messages classified as spam with spamhalter IN the spamhalter folder?[/quote]

You can delete such messages (or move them into the Pegasus recycle bin). The SpamHalter database won't change.

But if you move those messages into a "normal" folder SpamHalter will reclassify them as ham (good messages) and mix up your database!

So you have to be careful what you are doing with messages that have been already classified by SpamHalter.

[quote user="Shaharin"]And when I consider purging old files [...] [/quote]

Not sure what you mean but SpamHalter doesn't clean up your folders. It is classifying and filtering your fresh, incoming mails. 

[quote user="Shaharin"][...] many messages seem to be unclassifiable [...][/quote]

Hm, this should happen if the sender of the message is in your global whitelist or maybe in some other special case. But if it would be a whitelist issue you would see a special pop-up message.

(I have to admit that I'm sometimes also having a problem with classifying very old messages. Not sure what the reason is. Maybe the SpamHalter engine does not like old messages, maybe the sender was once in my whitelist. Maybe a SpamHalter bug. I don't know.)

Did you follow the setup instructions for SpamHalter in the Pegasus Help? Maybe you did something wrong at the beginning or you dont't have enough tokens (spam + ham tokens) in your database and SpamHalter is not ready to work properly. 

By the way: I'm also using the latest version of SpamHalter and have no real problems with that version.

<p>[quote user="Shaharin"][...] Is it necessary to keep the messages classified as spam with spamhalter IN the spamhalter folder?[/quote]</p><p>You can delete such messages (or move them into the Pegasus recycle bin). The SpamHalter database won't change. </p><p>But if you move those messages into a "normal" folder SpamHalter will reclassify them as ham (good messages) and mix up your database!</p><p>So you have to be careful what you are doing with messages that have been already classified by SpamHalter.</p><p> </p><p>[quote user="Shaharin"]And when I consider purging old files [...] [/quote]</p><p>Not sure what you mean but SpamHalter doesn't clean up your folders. It is classifying and filtering your fresh, incoming mails. </p><p> </p><p>[quote user="Shaharin"][...] many messages seem to be unclassifiable [...][/quote]</p><p>Hm, this should happen if the sender of the message is in your global whitelist or maybe in some other special case. But if it would be a whitelist issue you would see a special pop-up message.</p><p>(I have to admit that I'm sometimes also having a problem with classifying very old messages. Not sure what the reason is. Maybe the SpamHalter engine does not like old messages, maybe the sender was once in my whitelist. Maybe a SpamHalter bug. I don't know.)</p><p> </p><p>Did you follow the setup instructions for SpamHalter in the Pegasus Help? Maybe you did something wrong at the beginning or you dont't have enough tokens (spam + ham tokens) in your database and SpamHalter is not ready to work properly. </p><p>By the way: I'm also using the latest version of SpamHalter and have no real problems with that version. </p>

[quote user="Marc"][quote user="Shaharin"]And when I consider purging old files [...] [/quote]

Not sure what you mean but SpamHalter doesn't clean up your folders. It is classifying and filtering your fresh, incoming mails. [/quote]
Under Tools\Spam and Content Controls\Spamhalter there is a CLEANUP button that supposedly allows you to purge your database of old "obsolete" spam records. This ALWAYS show 0 records to purge for me, even though I've been using this as long as it's been around, which is certainly longer than the default 180 days. 

[quote user="Marc"]
[quote user="Shaharin"][...] many messages seem to be unclassifiable [...][/quote]

Hm, this should happen if the sender of the message is in your global whitelist or maybe in some other special case. But if it would be a whitelist issue you would see a special pop-up message.

(I have to admit that I'm sometimes also having a problem with classifying very old messages. Not sure what the reason is. Maybe the SpamHalter engine does not like old messages, maybe the sender was once in my whitelist. Maybe a SpamHalter bug. I don't know.)
[/quote]
These are ALL new messages. And they're DEFINITELY NOT whitelisted, because they are obviously spoofed addresses and clearly spam. Mostly ads for penny stocks...

[quote user="Marc"]
Did you follow the setup instructions for SpamHalter in the Pegasus Help? Maybe you did something wrong at the beginning or you dont't have enough tokens (spam + ham tokens) in your database and SpamHalter is not ready to work properly. [/quote] 
Of course I followed the instructions. And I've even tried redoing it.  I had several hundred messages for each set to start with, way back when. And since then, I'm quite sure I've had several thousand more for spam at least. Am I supposed to continue creating ham tokens on a regular basis?

[quote user="Marc"]By the way: I'm also using the latest version of SpamHalter and have no real problems with that version.[/quote]
No such luck with me. Serious crash - cannot even start up the program.

[quote user="Marc"][quote user="Shaharin"]And when I consider purging old files [...] [/quote]<p>Not sure what you mean but SpamHalter doesn't clean up your folders. It is classifying and filtering your fresh, incoming mails. [/quote] Under Tools\Spam and Content Controls\Spamhalter there is a CLEANUP button that supposedly allows you to purge your database of old "obsolete" spam records. This ALWAYS show 0 records to purge for me, even though I've been using this as long as it's been around, which is certainly longer than the default 180 days.  </p><p>[quote user="Marc"] [quote user="Shaharin"][...] many messages seem to be unclassifiable [...][/quote]</p><p>Hm, this should happen if the sender of the message is in your global whitelist or maybe in some other special case. But if it would be a whitelist issue you would see a special pop-up message.</p><p>(I have to admit that I'm sometimes also having a problem with classifying very old messages. Not sure what the reason is. Maybe the SpamHalter engine does not like old messages, maybe the sender was once in my whitelist. Maybe a SpamHalter bug. I don't know.) [/quote] These are ALL new messages. And they're DEFINITELY NOT whitelisted, because they are obviously spoofed addresses and clearly spam. Mostly ads for penny stocks... </p><p>[quote user="Marc"] Did you follow the setup instructions for SpamHalter in the Pegasus Help? Maybe you did something wrong at the beginning or you dont't have enough tokens (spam + ham tokens) in your database and SpamHalter is not ready to work properly. [/quote]  Of course I followed the instructions. And I've even tried redoing it.  I had several hundred messages for each set to start with, way back when. And since then, I'm quite sure I've had several thousand more for spam at least. Am I supposed to continue creating ham tokens on a regular basis? [quote user="Marc"]By the way: I'm also using the latest version of SpamHalter and have no real problems with that version.[/quote] No such luck with me. Serious crash - cannot even start up the program. </p>

[quote user="Shaharin"]Under Tools\Spam and Content Controls\Spamhalter there is a CLEANUP

button that supposedly allows you to purge your database of old

"obsolete" spam records. This ALWAYS show 0 records to purge for me,

even though I've been using this as long as it's been around, which is

certainly longer than the default 180 days.[/quote]

OK, there are 0 records that are older than 180 days. But how many records are in your database?

In my German version of Pmail is a PREVIEW button under the CLEANUP button. If I press this preview button (default: 180 days) I get a message like this (it's only an example and it's retranslated): "10000 of 70000 records will be deleted".
The second figure (70000) is the number of records (the number of tokens) in my database.

Here is my suggestion: 

Reduce the default "180 days" to 1 day or 0 days and press the preview button again. If there are still 0 records to purge....well, this would mean that your database is empty or that Pegasus/SpamHalter is not able to read the sqlite-database.

(Then you would need an sqlite tool to check if your database is really empty.)

<p>[quote user="Shaharin"]Under Tools\Spam and Content Controls\Spamhalter there is a CLEANUP button that supposedly allows you to purge your database of old "obsolete" spam records. This ALWAYS show 0 records to purge for me, even though I've been using this as long as it's been around, which is certainly longer than the default 180 days.[/quote] </p><p>OK, there are 0 records that are older than 180 days. But how many records are in your database? </p><p>In my German version of Pmail is a PREVIEW button under the CLEANUP button. If I press this preview button (default: 180 days) I get a message like this (it's only an example and it's retranslated): "10000 of 70000 records will be deleted". The second figure (70000) is the number of records (the number of tokens) in my database.</p><p>Here is my suggestion: </p><p>Reduce the default "180 days" to 1 day or 0 days and press the preview button again. If there are still 0 records to purge....well, this would mean that your database is empty or that Pegasus/SpamHalter is not able to read the sqlite-database.</p><p>(Then you would need an sqlite tool to check if your database is really empty.)  </p>

[quote user="Marc"]

OK, there are 0 records that are older than 180 days. But how many records are in your database?

In my German version of Pmail is a PREVIEW button under the CLEANUP button. If I press this preview button (default: 180 days) I get a message like this (it's only an example and it's retranslated): "10000 of 70000 records will be deleted".
The second figure (70000) is the number of records (the number of tokens) in my database.
[/quote] 

Mine  says 0 of 0 records - it always has. But the words4.db3 file is 6Mb in size... could it be that my database is corrupted? That would be sad - all those years of faithfully manually classifying....

[quote user="Marc"]<p>OK, there are 0 records that are older than 180 days. But how many records are in your database? </p><p>In my German version of Pmail is a PREVIEW button under the CLEANUP button. If I press this preview button (default: 180 days) I get a message like this (it's only an example and it's retranslated): "10000 of 70000 records will be deleted". The second figure (70000) is the number of records (the number of tokens) in my database. [/quote] </p><p>Mine  says 0 of 0 records - it always has. But the words4.db3 file is 6Mb in size... could it be that my database is corrupted? That would be sad - all those years of faithfully manually classifying.... </p>

[quote user="Shaharin"]But the words4.db3 file is 6Mb in size... could it be that my database is corrupted?[/quote]

Yes, sounds like your database is somehow corrupted.[:(]

You could send a copy of your database to Lukáš Gebauer (http://www.ararat.cz/eng/show.php?spamhalter) and ask him for help. Maybe it is only a small problem and he can fix it in 1 minute.

<p>[quote user="Shaharin"]But the words4.db3 file is 6Mb in size... could it be that my database is corrupted?[/quote]</p><p>Yes, sounds like your database is somehow corrupted.[:(]</p><p>You could send a copy of your database to Lukáš Gebauer (<a href="http://www.ararat.cz/eng/show.php?spamhalter" title="http://www.ararat.cz/eng/show.php?spamhalter" target="_blank" mce_href="http://www.ararat.cz/eng/show.php?spamhalter">http://www.ararat.cz/eng/show.php?spamhalter</a>) and ask him for help. Maybe it is only a small problem and he can fix it in 1 minute.  </p>

It's FIXED! Yeeehaaaa!

I didn't send it to Lukáš, but you got me thinking. So I did a search for an SQLite viewer/editor, which I found – sqlitebrowser.zip – and I opened the file with that. It all appeared OK, but once I tried to compact it, I was told that the db image on disk was corrupt. So I exported the whole thing to a .sql file, and then imported it back into a new file, and renamed it to words4.db3.

I was then able to compact THAT new file, and once I opened Pegasus mail, everything was as it should i.e. the unclassifiable files were classifiable, they all had associated data, and I had records that could be purged.

Hmm... now I need to see if the update will work without crashing Pegasus!

Thanks for being a sounding board for me!

<p>It's FIXED! Yeeehaaaa! </p><p>I didn't send it to Lukáš, but you got me thinking. So I did a search for an SQLite viewer/editor, which I found – sqlitebrowser.zip – and I opened the file with that. It all appeared OK, but once I tried to compact it, I was told that the db image on disk was corrupt. So I exported the whole thing to a .sql file, and then imported it back into a new file, and renamed it to words4.db3.</p><p>I was then able to compact THAT new file, and once I opened Pegasus mail, everything was as it should i.e. the unclassifiable files were classifiable, they all had associated data, and I had records that could be purged. </p><p>Hmm... now I need to see if the update will work without crashing Pegasus! </p><p>Thanks for being a sounding board for me!</p>

Just tried the spamhalter plugin update. No crashes yet. Must have been the corrupt database!

Just tried the spamhalter plugin update. No crashes yet. Must have been the corrupt database!
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft