Community Discussions and Support
Mailing List Signature

afaik, mailing list signatures only work with plain text messages and not multipart boundary ones.

afaik, mailing list signatures only work with plain text messages and not multipart boundary ones.

I just added a signature file for a new mailing list I set up in Mercury.  I'm now seeing inconsistent use of it.  For one, it apparently doesn't act as a template as is suggested by the help, as I can't use things like ~T in it to include the user's address.  But more importantly it doesn't appear to be being included in every message.  I just had a member send 3 messages in a row.  The first one had the signature, the following 2 did not.  Is this by design that it only includes it on every 5th message or is this an error?

Thanks

<p>I just added a signature file for a new mailing list I set up in Mercury.  I'm now seeing inconsistent use of it.  For one, it apparently doesn't act as a template as is suggested by the help, as I can't use things like ~T in it to include the user's address.  But more importantly it doesn't appear to be being included in every message.  I just had a member send 3 messages in a row.  The first one had the signature, the following 2 did not.  Is this by design that it only includes it on every 5th message or is this an error? </p><p>Thanks  </p>

[quote user="IGotNothin"]For one, it apparently doesn't act as a template as is suggested by the help, as I can't use things like ~T in it to include the user's address.[/quote]

I agree, it would be nice to see signature files treated in the same way as a Template file.

[quote user="IGotNothin"]But more importantly it doesn't appear to be being included in every message. I just had a member send 3 messages in a row. The first one had the signature, the following 2 did not. Is this by design that it only includes it on every 5th message or is this an error?[/quote]

I have also noticed the disappearance of the signature when some users post messages, not sure if this is the same in your case but the following explains what I've found:

Whenever I sent a message to a list, the signature was added without issue. But when other users sent messages I noticed the signature wasn't there? Odd.. so I looked at the source of the messages that apparently didn't have the signature. I noticed that the signature was in fact present in the source but didn't display in my email client (Outlook) when messages were in Rich Text or HTML format.

When a Plain Text message is sent to a list, the signature is appended to the message without issue, users are able to see it no problem.

When a Rich Text or HTML message is sent, the signature is appended to the message, however users are not able to see it.

With this in mind, the Mercury Manual says: "List signatures currently only work correctly with plain text messages. They will not work with messages containing HTML data." (p.27)

It looks like Mercury simply appends the signature file to the end of the DATA originally sent. So in the case of a Rich Text or HTML message, the signature is placed outside of the MIME boundary of that message. Email clients seem to ignore anything outside of the MIME boundary.

Any way, unfortunately it seems to be a known limitation. I'll look forward to a possible fix in a future release?

Below I've included samples of the three messages which illustrate this limitation. (Plain Text, Rich Text, HTML).

## SIGNATURE ##

Test signature message, does it work?

## / SIGNATURE ##

#########################################################

## HEADER PORTION - Plain Text ##

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: text/plain;

charset="us-ascii"

## / HEADER PORTION - Plain Text ##

## MESSAGE - Plain Text ##

Plain text message

## / MESSAGE - Plain Text ##

## HEADER PORTION - Rich Text ##

Content-Type: multipart/alternative;

boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0002_01C80FE9.3F05F210"

## / HEADER PORTION - Rich Text ##

## MESSAGE - Rich Text ##

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0002_01C80FE9.3F05F210

charset="us-ascii"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Rich text message

------=_NextPart_000_0002_01C80FE9.3F05F210

Content-Type: text/html;

charset="us-ascii"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">

<HTML>

<HEAD>

<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii">

<META NAME=3D"Generator" CONTENT=3D"MS Exchange Server version 6.5.7036.0">

<TITLE>Test - Rich Text</TITLE>

</HEAD>

<BODY>

<!-- Converted from text/rtf format -->

<P><SPAN LANG=3D"en-ca"><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Rich text message</FONT></SPAN>

</P>

</BODY>

</HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0002_01C80FE9.3F05F210--

## / MESSAGE - Rich Text ##

## HEADER PORTION - HTML ##

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: multipart/alternative;

boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0007_01C80FE9.5A357AB0"

## HEADER PORTION - HTML ##

## MESSAGE - HTML ##

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C80FE9.5A357AB0

charset="us-ascii"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

HTML message

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C80FE9.5A357AB0

Content-Type: text/html;

charset="us-ascii"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE></TITLE>

<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii">

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.6000.16544" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>

<BODY>

<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>HTML message</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C80FE9.5A357AB0--

## / MESSAGE - HTML ##

[quote user=&quot;IGotNothin&quot;]For one, it apparently doesn&#039;t act as a template as is suggested by the help, as I can&#039;t use things like ~T in it to include the user&#039;s address.[/quote] I agree, it would be nice to see signature files treated in the same way as a Template file. [quote user=&quot;IGotNothin&quot;]But more importantly it doesn&#039;t appear to be being included in every message. I just had a member send 3 messages in a row. The first one had the signature, the following 2 did not. Is this by design that it only includes it on every 5th message or is this an error?[/quote] I have also noticed the disappearance of the signature when some users post messages, not sure if this is the same in your case but the following explains what I&#039;ve found: Whenever I sent a message to a list, the signature was added without issue. But when other users sent messages I noticed the signature wasn&#039;t there? Odd.. so I looked at the source of the messages that apparently didn&#039;t have the signature. I noticed that the signature was in fact present in the source but didn&#039;t display in my email client (Outlook) when messages were in Rich Text or HTML format. When a Plain Text message is sent to a list, the signature is appended to the message without issue, users are able to see it no problem. When a Rich Text or HTML message is sent, the signature is appended to the message, however users are not able to see it. With this in mind, the Mercury Manual says: &quot;List signatures currently only work correctly with plain text messages. They will not work with messages containing HTML data.&quot; (p.27) It looks like Mercury simply appends the signature file to the end of the DATA originally sent. So in the case of a Rich Text or HTML message, the signature is placed outside of the MIME boundary of that message. Email clients seem to ignore anything outside of the MIME boundary. Any way, unfortunately it seems to be a known limitation. I&#039;ll look forward to a possible fix in a future release? Below I&#039;ve included samples of the three messages which illustrate this limitation. (Plain Text, Rich Text, HTML). &lt;pre&gt; ## SIGNATURE ## _________________________________________________________ Test signature message, does it work? ## / SIGNATURE ## ######################################################### ## HEADER PORTION - Plain Text ## MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=&quot;us-ascii&quot; ## / HEADER PORTION - Plain Text ## ## MESSAGE - Plain Text ## Plain text message _________________________________________________________ Test signature message, does it work? ## / MESSAGE - Plain Text ## ######################################################### ## HEADER PORTION - Rich Text ## Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=&quot;----=_NextPart_000_0002_01C80FE9.3F05F210&quot; ## / HEADER PORTION - Rich Text ## ## MESSAGE - Rich Text ## This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0002_01C80FE9.3F05F210 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=&quot;us-ascii&quot; Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Rich text message ------=_NextPart_000_0002_01C80FE9.3F05F210 Content-Type: text/html; charset=&quot;us-ascii&quot; Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable &lt;/pre&gt; &amp;lt;!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC &quot;-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN&quot;&amp;gt; &amp;lt;HTML&amp;gt; &amp;lt;HEAD&amp;gt; &amp;lt;META HTTP-EQUIV=3D&quot;Content-Type&quot; CONTENT=3D&quot;text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii&quot;&amp;gt; &amp;lt;META NAME=3D&quot;Generator&quot; CONTENT=3D&quot;MS Exchange Server version 6.5.7036.0&quot;&amp;gt; &amp;lt;TITLE&amp;gt;Test - Rich Text&amp;lt;/TITLE&amp;gt; &amp;lt;/HEAD&amp;gt; &amp;lt;BODY&amp;gt; &amp;lt;!-- Converted from text/rtf format --&amp;gt; &amp;lt;P&amp;gt;&amp;lt;SPAN LANG=3D&quot;en-ca&quot;&amp;gt;&amp;lt;FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D&quot;Arial&quot;&amp;gt;Rich text message&amp;lt;/FONT&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/SPAN&amp;gt; &amp;lt;/P&amp;gt; &amp;lt;/BODY&amp;gt; &amp;lt;/HTML&amp;gt; &lt;pre&gt; ------=_NextPart_000_0002_01C80FE9.3F05F210-- _________________________________________________________ Test signature message, does it work? ## / MESSAGE - Rich Text ## ######################################################### ## HEADER PORTION - HTML ## MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=&quot;----=_NextPart_000_0007_01C80FE9.5A357AB0&quot; ## HEADER PORTION - HTML ## ## MESSAGE - HTML ## This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C80FE9.5A357AB0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=&quot;us-ascii&quot; Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit HTML message ------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C80FE9.5A357AB0 Content-Type: text/html; charset=&quot;us-ascii&quot; Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable &lt;/pre&gt; &amp;lt;!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC &quot;-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN&quot;&amp;gt; &amp;lt;HTML&amp;gt;&amp;lt;HEAD&amp;gt;&amp;lt;TITLE&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/TITLE&amp;gt; &amp;lt;META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D&quot;text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii&quot;&amp;gt; &amp;lt;META content=3D&quot;MSHTML 6.00.6000.16544&quot; name=3DGENERATOR&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/HEAD&amp;gt; &amp;lt;BODY&amp;gt; &amp;lt;DIV&amp;gt;&amp;lt;FONT face=3DArial size=3D2&amp;gt;HTML message&amp;lt;/FONT&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/DIV&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/BODY&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/HTML&amp;gt; &lt;pre&gt; ------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C80FE9.5A357AB0-- _________________________________________________________________ Test signature message, does it work? ## / MESSAGE - HTML ## &lt;/pre&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft