Community Discussions and Support
Mailbox automaintenance in Mercury/32?

[quote user="Keith Urry"][quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]

This is somewhat of a OOPS since this was never added to Mercury/32  This was just discussed in the testers group and David said this was easy to add and will probably get into v4.5x.Wait for the next version and check it out,

[/quote]

Thanks Thomas. Unfortunately I can't wait - I need this to work right away. I'm thinking of cobbling something together using the command-line tools from the NLM version (makembox etc). Is there any reason these wouldn't work with mercury/32?

Keith

[/quote]

Don't see why it would not.  These are only working with the Netware host to create a mailbox and once the mailbox is created them Mercury/32 can use it.  I do not know how many users you have but you may be able to use an alias as well to forward the incoming mail via the MercuryS.NLM.

[quote user="Keith Urry"][quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"] <p>This is somewhat of a OOPS since this was never added to Mercury/32  This was just discussed in the testers group and David said this was easy to add and will probably get into v4.5x.Wait for the next version and check it out,</p> <p>[/quote]</p> <p> Thanks Thomas. Unfortunately I can't wait - I need this to work right away. I'm thinking of cobbling something together using the command-line tools from the NLM version (makembox etc). Is there any reason these wouldn't work with mercury/32?</p> <p>Keith</p> <p mce_keep="true"> </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Don't see why it would not.  These are only working with the Netware host to create a mailbox and once the mailbox is created them Mercury/32 can use it.  I do not know how many users you have but you may be able to use an alias as well to forward the incoming mail via the MercuryS.NLM.</p><p> </p>

I'm migrating a Mercury NLM installation to Mercury/32 but can't seem to find an equivalent to the automaintenance function of the NLM version. The only tool for creating new mailboxes coming with merc/32 seems to be nconfig.exe which, as a gui based program, isn't really useful to me. Most of my users are created in batches on Netware using an automated process, so I need some kind of command-line utility I can incorporate into the process or an equivalent of automaintenance. Is there any way to do what I want?

Thanks. 

<p>I'm migrating a Mercury NLM installation to Mercury/32 but can't seem to find an equivalent to the automaintenance function of the NLM version. The only tool for creating new mailboxes coming with merc/32 seems to be nconfig.exe which, as a gui based program, isn't really useful to me. Most of my users are created in batches on Netware using an automated process, so I need some kind of command-line utility I can incorporate into the process or an equivalent of automaintenance. Is there any way to do what I want?</p><p>Thanks. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p>

I use a batch file to create new domain users and set them up on Mercury at the same time.

The syntax of my batch file is: newst <USERNAME> <password>  <actual title and name>

eg: newst FVanderMerwe 123456abc Ms Felicity van der Merwe

That will give her the username and email address of "FVanderMerwe" and password of 123456abc

In the folder in which the script runs, I have a file called body.txt

# Mercury/32 User Information File
POP3_access:

(Note, there is no <CR> at the end of the file)

The relevant part of the newst.bat file is then as follows:

REM Create the new user entry in pmail.usr, the master user list for Mercury:
echo U;%1;%3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9% > newline
copy D:\UserData\Mail\pmail.usr pmail.tmp
del D:\UserData\Mail\pmail.usr
copy pmail.tmp+newline D:\UserData\Mail\pmail.usr

REM Delete the user password file if it exists and create a new one
md D:\UserData\Mail\%1
del D:\UserData\Mail\%1%\passwd.pm
echo %2%> temp.$$$
copy body.txt+temp.$$$ D:\UserData\Mail\%1%\passwd.pm /B
del temp.$$$

(Obviously you will have to edit the paths in the above script to comply with your installation)

The final step is to force Mercury to re-read the user file. To do this, go to to "Configuration", and, while holding down the <Ctr> key, click on "Manage local users.." The newly created user should appear in the refreshed list.

Enjoy!

&lt;p&gt;I use a batch file to create new domain users and set them up on Mercury at the same time.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The syntax of my batch file is: newst &amp;lt;USERNAME&amp;gt; &amp;lt;password&amp;gt;&amp;nbsp; &amp;lt;actual title and name&amp;gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;eg: newst FVanderMerwe 123456abc Ms Felicity van der Merwe&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;That will give her the username and email address of &quot;FVanderMerwe&quot; and password of 123456abc&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;In the folder in which the script runs, I have a file called body.txt&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;# Mercury/32 User Information File POP3_access: &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;(Note, there is no &amp;lt;CR&amp;gt; at the end of the file)&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The relevant part of the newst.bat file is then as follows:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;REM Create the new user entry in pmail.usr, the master user list for Mercury: echo U;%1;%3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9% &amp;gt; newline copy D:\UserData\Mail\pmail.usr pmail.tmp del D:\UserData\Mail\pmail.usr copy pmail.tmp+newline D:\UserData\Mail\pmail.usr &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;REM Delete the user password file if it exists and create a new one md D:\UserData\Mail\%1 del D:\UserData\Mail\%1%\passwd.pm echo %2%&amp;gt; temp.$$$ copy body.txt+temp.$$$ D:\UserData\Mail\%1%\passwd.pm /B del temp.$$$&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;(Obviously you will have to edit the paths in the above script to comply with your installation) &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; The final step is to force Mercury to re-read the user file. To do this, go to to &quot;Configuration&quot;, and, while holding down the &amp;lt;Ctr&amp;gt; key, click on &quot;Manage local users..&quot; The newly created user should appear in the refreshed list. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Enjoy! &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

OOPS:

When I first pasted my newst.bat file, I omitted the following line (which I have subsequently added to my post):

md D:\UserData\Mail\%1

FWIW: I have Mercury running on a Server2003 platform.

&lt;p&gt;OOPS: When I first pasted my newst.bat file, I omitted the following line (which I have subsequently added to my post):&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;md D:\UserData\Mail\%1&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;FWIW: I have Mercury running on a Server2003 platform. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Thanks for the reply, pbeddy [:)]

All my users' mailboxes are on the Netware server rather than on the windows server hosting mercury, so I'm afraid your method isn't going to work for me.

What is really confusing is that in the help file for nconfig is this:

"Note that if you have installed the Pegasus Mail Mailserver product to handle local mail delivery, then you never need to use this option, although doing so will cause no harm. The Mailserver and Pegasus Mail between them will create user mailboxes as and when they are needed."

This seems to say that mercury will create the mailboxes as-and-when they're needed. With the NLM version that's exactly what happened - i'd send a message to the account and the mailbox would be created. That doesn't seem to happen with mercury/32 - the messages just get deferred and sit in the queue.

&lt;P&gt;Thanks for the reply, pbeddy [:)]&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;All my users&#039; mailboxes are on the Netware server rather than on the windows server hosting mercury, so I&#039;m afraid your method isn&#039;t going to work for me.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;What is really confusing is that in the help file for nconfig is this:&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&lt;EM&gt;&quot;Note that if you have installed the Pegasus Mail Mailserver product to handle local mail delivery, then you never need to use this option, although doing so will cause no harm. The Mailserver and Pegasus Mail between them will create user mailboxes as and when they are needed.&quot;&lt;/EM&gt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;This seems to say that mercury will create the mailboxes as-and-when they&#039;re needed. With the NLM version that&#039;s exactly what happened - i&#039;d send a message to the account and the mailbox would be created. That doesn&#039;t seem to happen with mercury/32&amp;nbsp;- the messages just get deferred and sit in the queue.&lt;/P&gt;

[quote user="Keith Urry"]

I'm migrating a Mercury NLM installation to Mercury/32 but can't seem to find an equivalent to the automaintenance function of the NLM version. The only tool for creating new mailboxes coming with merc/32 seems to be nconfig.exe which, as a gui based program, isn't really useful to me. Most of my users are created in batches on Netware using an automated process, so I need some kind of command-line utility I can incorporate into the process or an equivalent of automaintenance. Is there any way to do what I want?

Thanks. 

[/quote]

This is somewhat of a OOPS since this was never added to Mercury/32  This was just discussed in the testers group and David said this was easy to add and will probably get into v4.5x.Wait for the next version and check it out,

[quote user=&quot;Keith Urry&quot;]&lt;p&gt;I&#039;m migrating a Mercury NLM installation to Mercury/32 but can&#039;t seem to find an equivalent to the automaintenance function of the NLM version. The only tool for creating new mailboxes coming with merc/32 seems to be nconfig.exe which, as a gui based program, isn&#039;t really useful to me. Most of my users are created in batches on Netware using an automated process, so I need some kind of command-line utility I can incorporate into the process or an equivalent of automaintenance. Is there any way to do what I want?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thanks.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;This is somewhat of a OOPS since this was never added to Mercury/32&amp;nbsp; This was just discussed in the testers group and David said this was easy to add and will probably get into v4.5x.Wait for the next version and check it out,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;. &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]

[/quote]

Thanks Thomas. Unfortunately I can't wait - I need this to work right away. I'm thinking of cobbling something together using the command-line tools from the NLM version (makembox etc). Is there any reason these wouldn't work with mercury/32?

Keith

[quote user=&quot;Thomas R. Stephenson&quot;] &lt;P&gt;This is somewhat of a OOPS since this was never added to Mercury/32&amp;nbsp; This was just discussed in the testers group and David said this was easy to add and will probably get into v4.5x.Wait for the next version and check it out,&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;[/quote]&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;nbsp;Thanks Thomas. Unfortunately I can&#039;t wait - I need this to work right away. I&#039;m thinking of cobbling something together using the command-line tools from the NLM version (makembox etc). Is there any reason these wouldn&#039;t work with mercury/32?&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Keith&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft