Community Discussions and Support
Write Emails on Home PC, put on USB Stick, send from Internet Cafe

[quote user="Angus Scott-Fleming"]Second, by the time you reach 10,000 writes, a replacement flash drive will be included free with your next cup of coffeee at Starbucks.[/quote]

My first thought is "640k ought to be enough for anyone!" (Often accredited to Bill Gates, but no one is sure..) Funny how these days, M$ OSes always want you to install MORE RAM.. Even 4Gigs is quickly going to be too little..

Anyhow, to the O.P. (If you're still looking for suggestions..): Have you considered using the memstick as a mailserver instead? When you're home, plug it in and have PMail "sent" mail to it to be queued (as well as "download" any incoming mail). Then when you're at the Inet cafe, switch the server to send and collect queued mail. It really isn't that much different than in the old days when Inet links were so expensive, many smaller companies had LAN's that would only dial out to the Inet a few times a day to do mail transfers in batches. Only in this case, you're physically moving the location of the mailserver to a place you can connect. This way, the mailserver doesn't even need to sync with anything, it's entirely self-contained, and can delete it's queue files once mail is dispatched.

Happy Holidays,

C. M.

<p>[quote user="Angus Scott-Fleming"]Second, by the time you reach 10,000 writes, a replacement flash drive will be included free with your next cup of coffeee at Starbucks.[/quote] My first thought is "640k ought to be enough for anyone!" (Often accredited to Bill Gates, but no one is sure..) Funny how these days, M$ OSes always want you to install MORE RAM.. Even 4Gigs is quickly going to be too little..</p> <p>Anyhow, to the O.P. (If you're still looking for suggestions..): Have you considered using the memstick as a mailserver instead? When you're home, plug it in and have PMail "sent" mail to it to be queued (as well as "download" any incoming mail). Then when you're at the Inet cafe, switch the server to send and collect queued mail. It really isn't that much different than in the old days when Inet links were so expensive, many smaller companies had LAN's that would only dial out to the Inet a few times a day to do mail transfers in batches. Only in this case, you're physically moving the location of the mailserver to a place you can connect. This way, the mailserver doesn't even need to sync with anything, it's entirely self-contained, and can delete it's queue files once mail is dispatched.</p> <p>Happy Holidays, C. M.</p>

Hello,

my Email archive spans ten years+, so I do not wish to carry the entire archive on my USB stick.

Therefore I have been attempting to write my emails on my home  PC where I have the big archive, then transfer the newly written emails to my USB stick. Then when I am at the Internet Cafe, I start portable Pmail, download my new emails and send out the ones written at home, possibly also do some replies to the ones just received.

I thought this would be easy, but my experience has been not so.

In order to achieve this feat, I am using the wonderful synching software SynchronizeIt! by Grigsoft. I have set up several different sessions combined in a project, which I can run all at once:

Session 1 (custom Pegasus files), both way synch: *.pml *.txt *.pm5 *.pm6 *.pm *.ini *.pms *.pns, EXCLUDE: newmail.pm winpmfup.pm hierarch.pm folstate.pm winpmfuf.pm newcache.pm multipop.pm mp*.pm

Session 2 (Email In) , from USB stick to home PC: move *.cnm, synch both ways fol02b18.* (this file I am using as my outgoing synch folder)

Session 3 (Email out), move from Home PC to USB stick : *.pmx *.pnx *.pmo *.pmw

Unfortunately it does not work.

At the Internet Cafe I am getting an empty queue manager, though at the bottom it shows a number of files in the queue.

Could somebody help me to perfect this setup?

Thank you for this great site.

Regards,

Paisley

<p>Hello,</p><p>my Email archive spans ten years+, so I do not wish to carry the entire archive on my USB stick.</p><p>Therefore I have been attempting to write my emails on my home  PC where I have the big archive, then transfer the newly written emails to my USB stick. Then when I am at the Internet Cafe, I start portable Pmail, download my new emails and send out the ones written at home, possibly also do some replies to the ones just received.</p><p>I thought this would be easy, but my experience has been not so.</p><p> In order to achieve this feat, I am using the wonderful synching software SynchronizeIt! by Grigsoft. I have set up several different sessions combined in a project, which I can run all at once:</p><p> Session 1 (custom Pegasus files), both way synch: *.pml *.txt *.pm5 *.pm6 *.pm *.ini *.pms *.pns, EXCLUDE: newmail.pm winpmfup.pm hierarch.pm folstate.pm winpmfuf.pm newcache.pm multipop.pm mp*.pm </p><p>Session 2 (Email In) , from USB stick to home PC: move *.cnm, synch both ways fol02b18.* (this file I am using as my outgoing synch folder) </p><p>Session 3 (Email out), move from Home PC to USB stick : *.pmx *.pnx *.pmo *.pmw</p><p> Unfortunately it does not work. </p><p>At the Internet Cafe I am getting an empty queue manager, though at the bottom it shows a number of files in the queue.</p><p> </p><p>Could somebody help me to perfect this setup?</p><p> </p><p>Thank you for this great site.</p><p> </p><p>Regards,</p><p> </p><p>Paisley  </p><p>   </p>

I think you're making things more complicated than you need to.  If I were you I'd simplify things by just running Pegasus Mail in portable mode from the USB stick.  When I was attached to the local computer, I'd just use Folders -> "Add mailbox to list" to have access to my mail archives.  I'd just use the synchronization software to sync the portable mailbox directory to the HDD to have a backup.

I think you're making things more complicated than you need to.  If I were you I'd simplify things by just running Pegasus Mail in portable mode from the USB stick.  When I was attached to the local computer, I'd just use Folders -> "Add mailbox to list" to have access to my mail archives.  I'd just use the synchronization software to sync the portable mailbox directory to the HDD to have a backup.

Hi Angus,

thank you for your suggestion. It's a good thought, but it does not accomplish my objective.

I would like to be able to WRITE emails on my local computers,  then transfer them to my USB stick, then send them from the Internet Cafe in addition to just reading emails I received, which would have been solved very elegantly with your suggestion.

Thank you. I hope somebody else may come up with a solution?

Regards,

Paisley 

<p>Hi Angus,</p><p>thank you for your suggestion. It's a good thought, but it does not accomplish my objective.</p><p>  I would like to be able to WRITE emails on my local computers,  then transfer them to my USB stick, then send them from the Internet Cafe in addition to just reading emails I received, which would have been solved very elegantly with your suggestion. </p><p> </p><p>Thank you. I hope somebody else may come up with a solution?</p><p> </p><p>Regards,</p><p> </p><p>Paisley </p>

Don't use Pmail installed on your local PC!

Use the one on your USB stick, even if you are at home, then your 'copies to self' & unsent are ALL ON YOUR USB stick already.

As previously suggested, just connect to the archive mailbox to transfer off your stick or read old mail when you are at home.

Using two separate installs simultaneously and trying to keep them synced is guaranteed to give you headaches.

<p>Don't use Pmail installed on your local PC!</p><p>Use the one on your USB stick, even if you are at home, then your 'copies to self' & unsent are ALL ON YOUR USB stick already.</p><p>As previously suggested, just connect to the archive mailbox to transfer off your stick or read old mail when you are at home.</p><p> </p><p>Using two separate installs simultaneously and trying to keep them synced is guaranteed to give you headaches. </p>

Works fine so long as your USB comes up the same drive letter on both machines.. otherwise it's a PITA of its own flavor..

Make sure you back the thumb up occasionally, too. Their intent is more for large file data storage and transfer than as a portable drive and are not nearly as reliable.

<P>Works fine so long as your USB comes up the same drive letter on both machines.. otherwise it's a PITA of its own flavor..</P> <P>Make sure you back the thumb up occasionally, too. Their intent is more for large file data storage and transfer than as a portable drive and are not nearly as reliable.</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

[quote user="Steeley"]

Works fine so long as your USB comes up the same drive letter on both machines.. otherwise it's a PITA of its own flavor..

[/quote]

Use the -ROAM option as per this thread - http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/2504.aspx

Drive letter should not matter.

[quote user="Steeley"]

Make sure you back the thumb up occasionally, too. Their intent is more for large file data storage and transfer than as a portable drive and are not nearly as reliable.

[/quote]

Agreed. I sync my thumbdrive with my backup every time I plug in at home & work. Lifespan is supposed to be measured in reads & (especially) writes. That said I have been using this old 256MB drive as portable mail for over 1 year [:)]

(It will fail instantly now that I have said that [:#])

[quote user="Steeley"]<p>Works fine so long as your USB comes up the same drive letter on both machines.. otherwise it's a PITA of its own flavor..</p><p>[/quote]</p><p> Use the -ROAM option as per this thread - http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/2504.aspx</p><p>Drive letter should not matter.</p><p> [quote user="Steeley"]</p> <p>Make sure you back the thumb up occasionally, too. Their intent is more for large file data storage and transfer than as a portable drive and are not nearly as reliable.</p> <p mce_keep="true"> [/quote]</p><p mce_keep="true">Agreed. I sync my thumbdrive with my backup every time I plug in at home & work. Lifespan is supposed to be measured in reads & (especially) writes. That said I have been using this old 256MB drive as portable mail for over 1 year [:)]</p><p mce_keep="true">(It will fail instantly now that I have said that [:#]) </p>

The pb with putting *all* your files and *all* of you mail on the USB stick is that it just miught get lost or not work after some time. You are also probably aware that the flash memories of a USB stick are good for 10 000 writes, so you don't know when it will suddenly go AWOL...

The pb with putting *all* your files and *all* of you mail on the USB stick is that it just miught get lost or not work after some time. You are also probably aware that the flash memories of a USB stick are good for 10 000 writes, so you don't know when it will suddenly go AWOL...

[quote user="Xavier"]The pb with putting *all* your files and *all* of you mail on the USB stick is that it just miught get lost or not work after some time. You are also probably aware that the flash memories of a USB stick are good for 10 000 writes, so you don't know when it will suddenly go AWOL...
[/quote]

First, you should have backups of your e-mail regardless of whether or not it is ona flash drive or not.

Second, by the time you reach 10,000 writes, a replacement flash drive will be included free with your next cup of coffeee at Starbucks.

<p>[quote user="Xavier"]The pb with putting *all* your files and *all* of you mail on the USB stick is that it just miught get lost or not work after some time. You are also probably aware that the flash memories of a USB stick are good for 10 000 writes, so you don't know when it will suddenly go AWOL... [/quote] </p><p> First, you should have backups of your e-mail regardless of whether or not it is ona flash drive or not. Second, by the time you reach 10,000 writes, a replacement flash drive will be included free with your next cup of coffeee at Starbucks. </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft