Community Discussions and Support
Local User Manager wont accept certain email names

Im finding out that if there is a dot within the user name, it is not accepted. For example, If I enter johndoe as a local user, it is accepted just fine. But, If I enter john.doe, this is not accepted.

Anyone have any thoughts or solutions?

Thanks!

<P>Im finding out that if there is a dot within the user name, it is not accepted. For example, If I enter johndoe as a local user, it is accepted just fine. But, If I enter john.doe, this is not accepted.</P> <P>Anyone have any thoughts or solutions?</P> <P>Thanks!</P>

[quote user="RED121572"]

Im finding out that if there is a dot within the user name, it is not accepted. For example, If I enter johndoe as a local user, it is accepted just fine. But, If I enter john.doe, this is not accepted.

Anyone have any thoughts or solutions?

Thanks!

[/quote]

The local user name can be completely different than the email address user name.  Also the user name becomes a subdirectory name and should not use long file names.   I always use 8 character local user names and then use the advanced delivery options in Mercury/32 to deliver the mail using the personal name.  Check out Configuration | Mercury core | Advanced.

[quote user="RED121572"]<p>Im finding out that if there is a dot within the user name, it is not accepted. For example, If I enter johndoe as a local user, it is accepted just fine. But, If I enter john.doe, this is not accepted.</p> <p>Anyone have any thoughts or solutions?</p> <p>Thanks!</p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>The local user name can be completely different than the email address user name.  Also the user name becomes a subdirectory name and should not use long file names.   I always use 8 character local user names and then use the advanced delivery options in Mercury/32 to deliver the mail using the personal name.  Check out Configuration | Mercury core | Advanced.</p><p> </p><p> </p>

Thanks but I dont believe I am explaining myself correctly.

Go to Configuration > Manage Local Users. Go to add > the first box is user name. This box will allow me to insert johndoe, but not john.doe. Theres just something about that dot that the field doesnt like.

Thanks!

<P>Thanks but I dont believe I am explaining myself correctly.</P> <P>Go to Configuration > Manage Local Users. Go to add > the first box is user name. This box will allow me to insert johndoe, but not john.doe. Theres just something about that dot that the field doesnt like.</P> <P>Thanks!</P>

[quote user="RED121572"]

Thanks but I dont believe I am explaining myself correctly.

Go to Configuration > Manage Local Users. Go to add > the first box is user name. This box will allow me to insert johndoe, but not john.doe. Theres just something about that dot that the field doesnt like.

Thanks!

[/quote]

I understand what you said the first time.  Did you understand what I said?  No long filenames for user names.  The names can be longer than 8 characters if you are using the ~n but the names cannot have anything but simple characters, no periods.  The user name will be used to create a subdirectory for the user mailbox.

[quote user="RED121572"]<p>Thanks but I dont believe I am explaining myself correctly.</p> <p>Go to Configuration > Manage Local Users. Go to add > the first box is user name. This box will allow me to insert johndoe, but not john.doe. Theres just something about that dot that the field doesnt like.</p> <p>Thanks!</p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>I understand what you said the first time.  Did you understand what I said?  No long filenames for user names.  The names can be longer than 8 characters if you are using the ~n but the names cannot have anything but simple characters, no periods.  The user name will be used to create a subdirectory for the user mailbox.</p><p> </p>

local usernames is the same as a maildrop, actually a folder under mercury's mail directory. it can only handle 8 character maildrop names.

The aliases are the ones you connect to the maildrop, and there you can have john.doe -> john

<P>local usernames is the same as a maildrop, actually a folder under mercury's mail directory. it can only handle 8 character maildrop names.</P> <P>The aliases are the ones you connect to the maildrop, and there you can have john.doe -> john</P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft