Community Discussions and Support
Pegasus on a multiple monitor setup

This multi-monitor bug has bugged me for years, through multiple versions of PMail, under Win2K, WinXP and Win7.

At present, I typically run PMail on a ThinkPad X40 supporting 2 or 3 monitors with Win7.  Granted, I have fudged the Win7 to run with an XDDM display driver on the Intel 8255 graphics, but PMail has always seemed insensitive tof a multi-monitor environment, even under Win2k and WinXP.

For example, when spell-checking an email draft with PMail on the secondary monitor, the "Spell Check has finished, would you like to try again for the top?" window always appears on the primary monitor, beyond the PMail window which is limited to the secondary display.  Sometimes, my attention is focused on PMail on the secondary monitor; I do not see the inquiring window which has popped up on the primary monitor.  So, I keep clicking the spell check window to implement my last spelling correction.  With each additional click, PMail seems to produce an additional "finished ....   again from the top?" query window, each over-layed on the prior.  When this happens, clicking in the "finished ...  again from the top window", dispatches the top window, only to reveal an identical under-laying window, to the depth equal to the number of redundant clicks in the Spell Check window.

In folder view, a similar multi-monitor bug appears.  For example, when PMail is in folder view on the secondary monitor, clicking to move a folder generates the target window on the primary monitor, again beyond the PMail window on the secondary monitor.

In other words, some actions evoke subsidiary windows on the primary monitor, even when PMail is running on the secondary or tertiary monitor.

Also, when stared, PMail appears on the monitor from which it was last closed.  For example, after PMail is closed on the secondary or tertiary monitor, restarting PMail evokes PMail on the secondary or tertiary monitor, even if the system no longer has a secondary or tertiary monitor.

As stated above, at my desk, my  ThinkPad X40 generally supports two or three monitors.  Sometimes, I undock my ThinkPad and take it on the road, so to speak.  When starting PMail with my ThinkPad undocked, PMail still starts on the secondary or tertiary monitor--if previously closed from the secondary or tertiary monitor--even when the undocked ThinkPan has only one monitor.  This means that starting PMail on my undocked ThinkPad evokes no change to my primary display, the only display in my undocked configuration.  It appears that PMail fails to start.  In fact, PMail is trying to appear on a non-existant secondary or tertiary monitor.  With Win7, it is reasonably easy to shift wayward PMail to single primary LED display via keyboard shortcuts.

I wish that PMail would attempt to display itself on the secondary or tertiary monitor, only when the system actually contains a secondary or tetiary display.

<p>This multi-monitor bug has bugged me for years, through multiple versions of PMail, under Win2K, WinXP and Win7.</p><p>At present, I typically run PMail on a ThinkPad X40 supporting 2 or 3 monitors with Win7.  Granted, I have fudged the Win7 to run with an XDDM display driver on the Intel 8255 graphics, but PMail has always seemed insensitive tof a multi-monitor environment, even under Win2k and WinXP.</p><p>For example, when spell-checking an email draft with PMail on the secondary monitor, the "Spell Check has finished, would you like to try again for the top?" window always appears on the primary monitor, beyond the PMail window which is limited to the secondary display.  Sometimes, my attention is focused on PMail on the secondary monitor; I do not see the inquiring window which has popped up on the primary monitor.  So, I keep clicking the spell check window to implement my last spelling correction.  With each additional click, PMail seems to produce an additional "finished ....   again from the top?" query window, each over-layed on the prior.  When this happens, clicking in the "finished ...  again from the top window", dispatches the top window, only to reveal an identical under-laying window, to the depth equal to the number of redundant clicks in the Spell Check window. </p><p>In folder view, a similar multi-monitor bug appears.  For example, when PMail is in folder view on the secondary monitor, clicking to move a folder generates the target window on the primary monitor, again beyond the PMail window on the secondary monitor.</p><p>In other words, some actions evoke subsidiary windows on the primary monitor, even when PMail is running on the secondary or tertiary monitor.</p><p> Also, when stared, PMail appears on the monitor from which it was last closed.  For example, after PMail is closed on the secondary or tertiary monitor, restarting PMail evokes PMail on the secondary or tertiary monitor, even if the system no longer has a secondary or tertiary monitor.</p><p>As stated above, at my desk, my  ThinkPad X40 generally supports two or three monitors.  Sometimes, I undock my ThinkPad and take it on the road, so to speak.  When starting PMail with my ThinkPad undocked, PMail still starts on the secondary or tertiary monitor--if previously closed from the secondary or tertiary monitor--even when the undocked ThinkPan has only one monitor.  This means that starting PMail on my undocked ThinkPad evokes no change to my primary display, the only display in my undocked configuration.  It appears that PMail fails to start.  In fact, PMail is trying to appear on a non-existant secondary or tertiary monitor.  With Win7, it is reasonably easy to shift wayward PMail to single primary LED display via keyboard shortcuts.</p><p>I wish that PMail would attempt to display itself on the secondary or tertiary monitor, only when the system actually contains a secondary or tetiary display. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p>

I run XP SP2 on a dual-headed system**.  Pegasus (v4.41) is among those apps that don't really understand that environment.  Specifically, it appears that regardless of where the application's main window is displayed (and where I am therefore pointing and clicking), the context menus and most dialogs are displayed on the configured "primary" display.

Has anyone else encountered (and perhaps dealt with) this behavior before?

**Specifically, I have a KDS 19" LCD (primary) and a Westinghouse 42" LVM-42w2 HDTV (secondary) connected to an nVidia GeForce 7800 GS.  nVidia's driver, version 6.14.10.9424, is relatively current and probably (IMO) not the problem.  Configuration is set to "DualView", which means that the monitors (screen res, wallpaper, etc.) are configured independently.  Processor is a 2.6GHz AMD Athlon 64 FX-55, 1 GB RAM.

<P>I run XP SP2 on a dual-headed system**.  Pegasus (v4.41) is among those apps that don't really understand that environment.  Specifically, it appears that regardless of where the application's main window is displayed (and where I am therefore pointing and clicking), the context menus and most dialogs are displayed on the configured "primary" display.</P> <P>Has anyone else encountered (and perhaps dealt with) this behavior before?</P> <P> **Specifically, I have a KDS 19" LCD (primary) and a Westinghouse 42" LVM-42w2 HDTV (secondary) connected to an nVidia GeForce 7800 GS.  nVidia's driver, version 6.14.10.9424, is relatively current and probably (IMO) not the problem.  Configuration is set to "DualView", which means that the monitors (screen res, wallpaper, etc.) are configured independently.  Processor is a 2.6GHz AMD Athlon 64 FX-55, 1 GB RAM.</P>

I have seen this too but mostly my Pegasus Dialogs and Context Menus pop up within the Pegasus window whichever monitor it is on.

I have not found it to be a problem when this does not happen but I will keep and eye on it now and let you know if a notice a pattern or find a 'cure'.

<p>I have seen this too but mostly my Pegasus Dialogs and Context Menus pop up within the Pegasus window whichever monitor it is on.</p><p> I have not found it to be a problem when this does not happen but I will keep and eye on it now and let you know if a notice a pattern or find a 'cure'.  </p>

Thanks for responding, sir.  I think I've waited long enough to conclude that all who are going to chime in have done so.

My suspicion is that in multiple screen situations, Windows might be doing things with the window/desktop coordinate system that Pegasus' logic never previously had to consider when creating new windows (context menus, dialogs, etc.).

Ah, well.  Not all problems (however minor they might be) have simple solutions.  Are there other venues where Pegasus is discussed in detail, where I might re-post my question?

<P>Thanks for responding, sir.  I think I've waited long enough to conclude that all who are going to chime in have done so.</P> <P>My suspicion is that in multiple screen situations, Windows might be doing things with the window/desktop coordinate system that Pegasus' logic never previously had to consider when creating new windows (context menus, dialogs, etc.).</P> <P> Ah, well.  Not all problems (however minor they might be) have simple solutions.  Are there other venues where Pegasus is discussed in detail, where I might re-post my question?</P>

IIRC the nVidia driver has some settings for controlling which apps use which display and where context menu's and dialogs appear.

I had a brief play with this a while ago but don't recall which driver version it was.

The settings were buried deep in the Advanced - nView - Profiles - Desktop Management Options type settings and you could set different behaviours for each app. 

<p>IIRC the nVidia driver has some settings for controlling which apps use which display and where context menu's and dialogs appear.</p><p>I had a brief play with this a while ago but don't recall which driver version it was.</p><p>The settings were buried deep in the Advanced - nView - Profiles - Desktop Management Options type settings and you could set different behaviours for each app. </p>

My thanks go out to dilberts_left_nut (he considers his last statement incredulously).

I'll have to dig into this.  The options are legion, not always aptly described, and quite well hidden by the folks at nVidia, but it appears to be a good workaround for apps like Pmail that don't adapt to the situation naturally.

Brilliant!  Prodigious thanks for the pointer!

<P>My thanks go out to dilberts_left_nut (he considers his last statement incredulously).</P> <P>I'll have to dig into this.  The options are legion, not always aptly described, and quite well hidden by the folks at nVidia, but it appears to be a good workaround for apps like Pmail that don't adapt to the situation naturally.</P> <P>Brilliant!  Prodigious thanks for the pointer!</P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft