Community Discussions and Support
Error 501 - Needs Domain Name

Update.

My ISP uses standard headers. I've made the recommended changes so I'm not rewriting the X-Envelope header. It works perfectly.

Many thanks again for all your help. 

<p><u><b>Update.</b></u></p><p>My ISP uses standard headers. I've made the recommended changes so I'm not rewriting the X-Envelope header. It works perfectly. </p><p>Many thanks again for all your help. </p><p> </p>

Hi,

I know I'm doing something wrong - I beleive it in the local domains section in core, but I don't know how to fix it!

I'm using 4.51, about to upgrade to 4.52.

My ISP host domain and MX record. I download all users pop3 mail from my ISP - delete the spam(SpamHalter) and run ClamWall.

After downloading the email - I tried to autoforward 1 user's email to an outside address - I keep getting error 501-(missing domain name). For some reason I'm not appending the doman name to the user name. However, if I send a test mail from my local account - it gets forwarded correctly. What am I doing wrong?

Oh, by the way I'm using MERCURYE .

And I have the domains section set as:

mailserv         mailserv

mailserv         XXXXXXXXXX-XXX.com

mailserv         [192.168.0.44]

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help.

Cls 

<p>Hi,</p><p>I know I'm doing something wrong - I beleive it in the local domains section in core, but I don't know how to fix it! </p><p>I'm using 4.51, about to upgrade to 4.52. </p><p>My ISP host domain and MX record. I download all users pop3 mail from my ISP - delete the spam(SpamHalter) and run ClamWall. </p><p>After downloading the email - I tried to autoforward 1 user's email to an outside address - I keep getting error 501-(missing domain name). For some reason I'm not appending the doman name to the user name. However, if I send a test mail from my local account - it gets forwarded correctly. What am I doing wrong? </p><p>Oh, by the way I'm using MERCURYE .</p><p> And I have the domains section set as:</p><p>mailserv         mailserv</p><p>mailserv         XXXXXXXXXX-XXX.com</p><p>mailserv         [192.168.0.44]</p><p>Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help.</p><p>Cls </p><p> </p>

> Hi,
>
> I know I'm doing something wrong - I beleive it in the local
> domains section in core, but I don't know how to fix it!

Nope, I do not think this is a domains setup problem.

>
> I'm using 4.51, about to upgrade to 4.52.
>
> My ISP host domain and MX record. I download all users pop3
> mail from my ISP - delete the spam(SpamHalter) and run
> ClamWall.

This is probably where you are going wrong.  If you enter a user name in the MercuryD setup then the mail will be delivered using that as the e-mail address in the X-Envelope-To: header.  When the mail is forwarded then it will use this e-mail address in the MAIL FROM: address and it's invalid since it does not have a domain.  What you need to do in leave the local user blank and (best) use a header in the mail from the POP3 mailbox.

Checking for special headers in messages

By default, MercuryD goes through the standard headers in incoming mail looking for local addresses: the fields it examines are: "To", "Cc", "BCC" and "Received". MercuryD also records the Message-ID of every message it processes and usually will not attempt to deliver the same message twice.

Unfortunately, not all ISPs use POP3 mailbox schemes that will work with this approach: some use a non-standard header to record the address of the person for whom the message was actually intended - for example, "X-Deliver-To" is one that is seen from time to time. If your ISP uses a non-standard header to record the delivery envelope address, you can tell MercuryD about it using the Headers control: type in the name of the header Mercury should examine for local addresses (so, from our example above, you would type in X-Deliver-To). The field is not case-sensitive (so, X-Deliver-To and X-DELIVER-TO are treated as identical) and you can add the colon separator at the end of the name or not as you wish. If your ISP uses more than one special header to identify the local addressee, you can enter multiple header names in this field, separated by semi-colon characters (";"). You must not type any spaces in this field.

If you check the control labelled Check only in these headers then MercuryD will no longer examine the standard To, Cc, Bcc and Received headers for local addresses and will not discard duplicate messages. Use this control only if you are sure that your ISP always adds the header to your mail.

Your ISP will usually be able to tell you if they use a special header to identify the envelope address in your messages.

If there is no special header then you'll probably need to use some sort of alias to get the mail delivered using a full SMTP e-mail address.

>
> After downloading the email - I tried to autoforward 1 user's
> email to an outside address - I keep getting error
> 501-(missing domain name). For some reason I'm not appending
> the doman name to the user name. However, if I send a test
> mail from my local account - it gets forwarded correctly.
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Oh, by the way I'm using MERCURYE .
>
>  And I have the domains section set as:
>
> mailserv         mailserv
>
> mailserv         XXXXXXXXXX-XXX.com
>
> mailserv         [192.168.0.44]
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help.
>
> Cls
>
>  
>
>

> Hi, > > I know I'm doing something wrong - I beleive it in the local > domains section in core, but I don't know how to fix it! Nope, I do not think this is a domains setup problem. > > I'm using 4.51, about to upgrade to 4.52. > > My ISP host domain and MX record. I download all users pop3 > mail from my ISP - delete the spam(SpamHalter) and run > ClamWall. This is probably where you are going wrong.  If you enter a user name in the MercuryD setup then the mail will be delivered using that as the e-mail address in the X-Envelope-To: header.  When the mail is forwarded then it will use this e-mail address in the MAIL FROM: address and it's invalid since it does not have a domain.  What you need to do in leave the local user blank and (best) use a header in the mail from the POP3 mailbox. Checking for special headers in messages By default, MercuryD goes through the standard headers in incoming mail looking for local addresses: the fields it examines are: "To", "Cc", "BCC" and "Received". MercuryD also records the Message-ID of every message it processes and usually will not attempt to deliver the same message twice. Unfortunately, not all ISPs use POP3 mailbox schemes that will work with this approach: some use a non-standard header to record the address of the person for whom the message was actually intended - for example, "X-Deliver-To" is one that is seen from time to time. If your ISP uses a non-standard header to record the delivery envelope address, you can tell MercuryD about it using the Headers control: type in the name of the header Mercury should examine for local addresses (so, from our example above, you would type in X-Deliver-To). The field is not case-sensitive (so, X-Deliver-To and X-DELIVER-TO are treated as identical) and you can add the colon separator at the end of the name or not as you wish. If your ISP uses more than one special header to identify the local addressee, you can enter multiple header names in this field, separated by semi-colon characters (";"). You must not type any spaces in this field. If you check the control labelled Check only in these headers then MercuryD will no longer examine the standard To, Cc, Bcc and Received headers for local addresses and will not discard duplicate messages. Use this control only if you are sure that your ISP always adds the header to your mail. Your ISP will usually be able to tell you if they use a special header to identify the envelope address in your messages. If there is no special header then you'll probably need to use some sort of alias to get the mail delivered using a full SMTP e-mail address. > > After downloading the email - I tried to autoforward 1 user's > email to an outside address - I keep getting error > 501-(missing domain name). For some reason I'm not appending > the doman name to the user name. However, if I send a test > mail from my local account - it gets forwarded correctly. > What am I doing wrong? > > Oh, by the way I'm using MERCURYE . > >  And I have the domains section set as: > > mailserv         mailserv > > mailserv         XXXXXXXXXX-XXX.com > > mailserv         [192.168.0.44] > > Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help. > > Cls > >   > >

> This is probably where you are going wrong.  If you enter a user name

in the MercuryD setup then the mail will be delivered using that as the

e-mail address in the X-Envelope-To: header.  >When
> the mail is

forwarded then it will use this e-mail address in the MAIL FROM:

address and it's invalid since it does not have a domain.  What you

need to do in leave the local user blank and >(best)
>use a header in the

mail from the POP3 mailbox.

Thank you, Thomas, for the prompt response.

You are absolutely right. I see your point. Now it looks simple and obvious. I'm kicking myself for missing it.

I'll examine the headers in some older mail and and also checkin with my ISP.

Thanks again.

Cheers 

<p>> This is probably where you are going wrong.  If you enter a user name in the MercuryD setup then the mail will be delivered using that as the e-mail address in the X-Envelope-To: header.  >When > the mail is forwarded then it will use this e-mail address in the MAIL FROM: address and it's invalid since it does not have a domain.  What you need to do in leave the local user blank and >(best) >use a header in the mail from the POP3 mailbox.</p><p> </p><p>Thank you, Thomas, for the prompt response. </p><p>You are absolutely right. I see your point. Now it looks simple and obvious. I'm kicking myself for missing it. </p><p>I'll examine the headers in some older mail and and also checkin with my ISP.</p><p>Thanks again.</p><p>Cheers </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft