Community Discussions and Support
Can't collect mail

Hi,

Thanks for your help (it was much appreciated!).

It turned out that one of my less-than-careful mates had sent an email with a suspect attachment.  Once I'd looked at my mail through my ISP's website & deleted the dodgy message, everything was ship-shaped & Bristol fashion once more.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to help.

All the best,

Felicity x

<P>Hi,</P> <P>Thanks for your help (it was much appreciated!).</P> <P>It turned out that one of my less-than-careful mates had sent an email with a suspect attachment.  Once I'd looked at my mail through my ISP's website & deleted the dodgy message, everything was ship-shaped & Bristol fashion once more.</P> <P>Thanks again for taking the trouble to help.</P> <P>All the best,</P> <P>Felicity x</P>

Hi, Clever People!

I have a problem with which hope one of you can help.

I was downloading my messages and got disconnected halfway through.  Now, when I try to check my mail, I get a message saying,

"Pop3 Network or Protocol Error".

It then tells me I can copy the trace.  Not sure why I'd want to: it doesn't tell me what to do with it once I have copied it.  (No rude suggestions, please!)

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Filly

<P>Hi, Clever People!</P> <P>I have a problem with which hope one of you can help.</P> <P>I was downloading my messages and got disconnected halfway through.  Now, when I try to check my mail, I get a message saying,</P> <P>"Pop3 Network or Protocol Error".</P> <P> It then tells me I can copy the trace.  Not sure why I'd want to: it doesn't tell me what to do with it once I have copied it.  (No rude suggestions, please!)</P> <P>Any ideas?</P> <P>Cheers,</P> <P> Filly</P>

try to get the message headers, then download them one by one until you find the one interferring. Would think this is an error on the server end.

try to get the message headers, then download them one by one until you find the one interferring. Would think this is an error on the server end.

[quote user="Filly"]

Hi, Clever People!

I have a problem with which hope one of you can help.

I was downloading my messages and got disconnected halfway through.  Now, when I try to check my mail, I get a message saying,

"Pop3 Network or Protocol Error".

It then tells me I can copy the trace.  Not sure why I'd want to: it doesn't tell me what to do with it once I have copied it.  (No rude suggestions, please!)

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Filly

[/quote]

First try using "Selective mail download" to see what happens.  If this works you may be able to  delete a bad message on the server and solve the problem. 

If this does not work,  Go to File | Network configuration | General and turn on "Create Internet session logs (advanced diagnostic use only)"  

Checking this control tells Pegasus Mail to create special log files that show the entire exchange of information between it and the servers it connects to. Each session will be created in a file called TCPxxxx.WPM in your home mailbox directory (the "xxxx" is replaced by four digits). Creating session logs will slow down the performance of your system somewhat, and you should be aware that any username and password information exchanged between Pegasus Mail and the server will be shown in the log, *even* if you use SSL to secure the connection. Session logs are primarily useful if you need to debug a problem between Pegasus Mail and one of the servers it connects to - you should enable the option only on instructions from a system administrator or from Pegasus Mail technical support. [ Technical note: this control has the same effect as using a "-Z 32" commandline switch when you run Pegasus Mail ]

You can now try again to receive the mail and then look at the resulting TCP/IP debug file.  Review of this file will tell you exactly what is going on between WinPMail and the server.

[quote user="Filly"]<p>Hi, Clever People!</p> <p>I have a problem with which hope one of you can help.</p> <p>I was downloading my messages and got disconnected halfway through.  Now, when I try to check my mail, I get a message saying,</p> <p>"Pop3 Network or Protocol Error".</p> <p> It then tells me I can copy the trace.  Not sure why I'd want to: it doesn't tell me what to do with it once I have copied it.  (No rude suggestions, please!)</p> <p>Any ideas?</p> <p>Cheers,</p> <p> Filly</p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>First try using "Selective mail download" to see what happens.  If this works you may be able to  delete a bad message on the server and solve the problem.  </p><p>If this does not work,  Go to File | Network configuration | General and turn on "Create Internet session logs (advanced diagnostic use only)"   Checking this control tells Pegasus Mail to create special log files that show the entire exchange of information between it and the servers it connects to. Each session will be created in a file called TCPxxxx.WPM in your home mailbox directory (the "xxxx" is replaced by four digits). Creating session logs will slow down the performance of your system somewhat, and you should be aware that any username and password information exchanged between Pegasus Mail and the server will be shown in the log, *even* if you use SSL to secure the connection. Session logs are primarily useful if you need to debug a problem between Pegasus Mail and one of the servers it connects to - you should enable the option only on instructions from a system administrator or from Pegasus Mail technical support. [ Technical note: this control has the same effect as using a "-Z 32" commandline switch when you run Pegasus Mail ] You can now try again to receive the mail and then look at the resulting TCP/IP debug file.  Review of this file will tell you exactly what is going on between WinPMail and the server.</p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft