Community Discussions and Support
Pegasus Mail On Non-Admin Account

Thanks everyone. I can now use Pegasus from the non-Admin account. Like I said in one of my earlier posts, I've been using Pegasus since Windows 3.1 and a mostly text-based internet, and didn't want to give up on this. Thanks again for your time and expertise. Anyway to mark this thread "solved"?

<P>Thanks everyone. I can now use Pegasus from the non-Admin account. Like I said in one of my earlier posts, I've been using Pegasus since Windows 3.1 and a mostly text-based internet, and didn't want to give up on this. Thanks again for your time and expertise. Anyway to mark this thread "solved"?</P>

Hi,

Before I ever knew about using non-Admin accounts for internet facing activities, I installed Pmail on my Admin account.

Now, we use the non-Admin account for almost everything, except I can't use Pmail there, it only works on the Admin account. Everytime I try to access it on the non-Admin account, it thinks I'm accessing it for the first time, asking for all the pop and smtp configs etc..., then never saves the config.

Any ideas on this? It's been so long I can't remember if during the installation, there was something asking if I want to give access to more than just the Admin account.

I have version 4.41(Win32) July 16 2006 on a XP home SP2 machine.

Thanks in advance for your time, patmac 

<P>Hi,</P> <P>  Before I ever knew about using non-Admin accounts for internet facing activities, I installed Pmail on my Admin account.</P> <P>  Now, we use the non-Admin account for almost everything, except I can't use Pmail there, it only works on the Admin account. Everytime I try to access it on the non-Admin account, it thinks I'm accessing it for the first time, asking for all the pop and smtp configs etc..., then never saves the config.</P> <P>Any ideas on this? It's been so long I can't remember if during the installation, there was something asking if I want to give access to more than just the Admin account.</P> <P>I have version 4.41(Win32) July 16 2006 on a XP home SP2 machine.</P> <P>Thanks in advance for your time, patmac </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

[quote user="patmac"]

Hi,

Before I ever knew about using non-Admin accounts for internet facing activities, I installed Pmail on my Admin account.

Now, we use the non-Admin account for almost everything, except I can't use Pmail there, it only works on the Admin account. Everytime I try to access it on the non-Admin account, it thinks I'm accessing it for the first time, asking for all the pop and smtp configs etc..., then never saves the config.

Any ideas on this? It's been so long I can't remember if during the installation, there was something asking if I want to give access to more than just the Admin account.

I have version 4.41(Win32) July 16 2006 on a XP home SP2 machine.

Thanks in advance for your time, patmac 

[/quote]

Use Help about Pegasus mail | Info and note the HOME and NEW mail directory, they are most likely the same.  The make sure you have full read/write rights to these directories.  You also need full access tot he TEMP directory.

[quote user="patmac"]<p>Hi,</p> <p>  Before I ever knew about using non-Admin accounts for internet facing activities, I installed Pmail on my Admin account.</p> <p>  Now, we use the non-Admin account for almost everything, except I can't use Pmail there, it only works on the Admin account. Everytime I try to access it on the non-Admin account, it thinks I'm accessing it for the first time, asking for all the pop and smtp configs etc..., then never saves the config.</p> <p>Any ideas on this? It's been so long I can't remember if during the installation, there was something asking if I want to give access to more than just the Admin account.</p> <p>I have version 4.41(Win32) July 16 2006 on a XP home SP2 machine.</p> <p>Thanks in advance for your time, patmac </p> <p mce_keep="true"> </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Use Help about Pegasus mail | Info and note the HOME and NEW mail directory, they are most likely the same.  The make sure you have full read/write rights to these directories.  You also need full access tot he TEMP directory.</p><p> </p>

Probably (almost certainly) a "rights" issue.  I have users who run PMail in as nonn-administrators all the time, so it's easily possible.

Probably (almost certainly) a "rights" issue.  I have users who run PMail in as nonn-administrators all the time, so it's easily possible.

I hope so Angus.

Right now I'm trying to learn how to accomplish what Thomas has stated to do, I'm a newbie.

I see where the HOME and NEW folders are, but is the TEMP one in the Windows directory?

Also, is this just a matter of dragging the above folders into the Shared Doc folder under All Users, or is it a matter of sharing under each folders properties tab?

And, on the MS website, it goes into changing the access to a folder to either a "Level 1,2,3,4 or 5" level of security???

<P>I hope so Angus.</P> <P>Right now I'm trying to learn how to accomplish what Thomas has stated to do, I'm a newbie.</P> <P>I see where the HOME and NEW folders are, but is the TEMP one in the Windows directory?</P> <P>Also, is this just a matter of dragging the above folders into the Shared Doc folder under All Users, or is it a matter of sharing under each folders properties tab?</P> <P>And, on the MS website, it goes into changing the access to a folder to either a "Level 1,2,3,4 or 5" level of security???</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

[quote user="patmac"]

I hope so Angus.

Right now I'm trying to learn how to accomplish what Thomas has stated to do, I'm a newbie.

I see where the HOME and NEW folders are, but is the TEMP one in the Windows directory?

Also, is this just a matter of dragging the above folders into the Shared Doc folder under All Users, or is it a matter of sharing under each folders properties tab?

And, on the MS website, it goes into changing the access to a folder to either a "Level 1,2,3,4 or 5" level of security???

[/quote]

The TEMP directory is the one that is shown when you use Help | About Pegasus Mail | Info and the rights issue is one where you get the proper rights to the directories.  You move nothing.

[quote user="patmac"]<p>I hope so Angus.</p> <p>Right now I'm trying to learn how to accomplish what Thomas has stated to do, I'm a newbie.</p> <p>I see where the HOME and NEW folders are, but is the TEMP one in the Windows directory?</p> <p>Also, is this just a matter of dragging the above folders into the Shared Doc folder under All Users, or is it a matter of sharing under each folders properties tab?</p> <p>And, on the MS website, it goes into changing the access to a folder to either a "Level 1,2,3,4 or 5" level of security???</p> <p mce_keep="true"> </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>The TEMP directory is the one that is shown when you use Help | About Pegasus Mail | Info and the rights issue is one where you get the proper rights to the directories.  You move nothing.</p><p> </p>

I have found the New and Home folders. I cannot find the Temp folder. According to Help->About->Info, the Temp folder should be at c:\DOCUME~1\Patrick|Locals~1\Temp. I can't find it. I have c:\Documents and Settings\Patrick\Desktop, Favorites, My Docs and Windows, nothing about Locals. Am I looking in the right place? I'm using explorer to check while on the Admin account.

<P>I have found the New and Home folders. I cannot find the Temp folder. According to Help->About->Info, the Temp folder should be at c:\DOCUME~1\Patrick|Locals~1\Temp. I can't find it. I have c:\Documents and Settings\Patrick\Desktop, Favorites, My Docs and Windows, nothing about Locals. Am I looking in the right place? I'm using explorer to check while on the Admin account. </P> <P>             </P>

[quote user="patmac"]

I have found the New and Home folders. I cannot find the Temp folder. According to Help->About->Info, the Temp folder should be at c:\DOCUME~1\Patrick|Locals~1\Temp. I can't find it. I have c:\Documents and Settings\Patrick\Desktop, Favorites, My Docs and Windows, nothing about Locals. Am I looking in the right place? I'm using explorer to check while on the Admin account.

[/quote]

Try c:\Documents and Settings\Patrick\Local Setting\Temp  FWIW, a simple CD c:\DOCUME~1\Patrick|Locals~1\Temp from the MSDOS or command prompt should work.

[quote user="patmac"]<p>I have found the New and Home folders. I cannot find the Temp folder. According to Help->About->Info, the Temp folder should be at c:\DOCUME~1\Patrick|Locals~1\Temp. I can't find it. I have c:\Documents and Settings\Patrick\Desktop, Favorites, My Docs and Windows, nothing about Locals. Am I looking in the right place? I'm using explorer to check while on the Admin account. </p> <p>             </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Try c:\Documents and Settings\Patrick\Local Setting\Temp  FWIW, a simple CD c:\DOCUME~1\Patrick|Locals~1\Temp from the MSDOS or command prompt should work.</p><p> </p><p> </p>

Nothing about Locals~1 or Temp. I checked in all the "users" showing up under Docs and Settings. Had to pull out some hair remembering a few DOS moves. Cannot see "Local" anything anywhere. Could it be hidden and I need to go into Safe Mode and turn on the hidden files?

Nothing about Locals~1 or Temp. I checked in all the "users" showing up under Docs and Settings. Had to pull out some hair remembering a few DOS moves. Cannot see "Local" anything anywhere. Could it be hidden and I need to go into Safe Mode and turn on the hidden files?

Yes it is hidden, but no need for 'Safe Mode'.

In an Explorer window go to 'Tools' menu -> 'Folder Options' -> 'View' tab -> toggle 'Show hidden f&f'

While you are there untick 'Hide extensions for file types' as this is one of the most useless "features" of default Windows settings.

(In the next version of Windows filenames will also be hidden by default [:P])

<p>Yes it is hidden, but no need for 'Safe Mode'.</p><p>In an Explorer window go to 'Tools' menu -> 'Folder Options' -> 'View' tab -> toggle 'Show hidden f&f'</p><p>While you are there untick 'Hide extensions for file types' as this is one of the most useless "features" of default Windows settings.</p><p>(In the next version of Windows filenames will also be hidden by default [:P])</p>

[quote user="dilberts_left_nut"]

Yes it is hidden, but no need for 'Safe Mode'.

In an Explorer window go to 'Tools' menu -> 'Folder Options' -> 'View' tab -> toggle 'Show hidden f&f'

While you are there untick 'Hide extensions for file types' as this is one of the most useless "features" of default Windows settings.

(In the next version of Windows filenames will also be hidden by default [:P])

[/quote]

Good grief, this is one of the basic reasons I hate windows.  This is almost as bad as using a Mac.  This is something I do by default in every version of windows.

[quote user="dilberts_left_nut"]<p>Yes it is hidden, but no need for 'Safe Mode'.</p><p>In an Explorer window go to 'Tools' menu -> 'Folder Options' -> 'View' tab -> toggle 'Show hidden f&f'</p><p>While you are there untick 'Hide extensions for file types' as this is one of the most useless "features" of default Windows settings.</p><p>(In the next version of Windows filenames will also be hidden by default [:P])</p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Good grief, this is one of the basic reasons I hate windows.  This is almost as bad as using a Mac.  This is something I do by default in every version of windows.</p><p> </p>

I printed out the info from "about" PMail, showing the locations of the HOME, NEW and TEMP folders. Finally found the folders while on the Admin account and selected "Share This Folder". Logged out of the Admin account and into the non-Admin account and went into Pegasus there. It asked for POP3 and SMTP stuff which I put in. I was able to do a Selective Mail Download, but unable to send anything. Also, after closing the program and going back in, it was once again asking for all the network information, as before. Possibly just selecting "Share" isn't enough? Does anyone know if at the time of installation, are you given the option of making PMail available to all users on the computer?

I printed out the info from "about" PMail, showing the locations of the HOME, NEW and TEMP folders. Finally found the folders while on the Admin account and selected "Share This Folder". Logged out of the Admin account and into the non-Admin account and went into Pegasus there. It asked for POP3 and SMTP stuff which I put in. I was able to do a Selective Mail Download, but unable to send anything. Also, after closing the program and going back in, it was once again asking for all the network information, as before. Possibly just selecting "Share" isn't enough? Does anyone know if at the time of installation, are you given the option of making PMail available to all users on the computer?

Hi,

Anyone still around on this?

I know I'm working with lead upstairs, and your patience is abundant,  but I don't want to give up on this. I have been using Pegasus for almost 15 years, back to Windows 3.1 I think it was

Thanks for any help so far!

<P>Hi,</P> <P> Anyone still around on this? </P> <P>I know I'm working with lead upstairs, and your patience is abundant,  but I don't want to give up on this. I have been using Pegasus for almost 15 years, back to Windows 3.1 I think it was</P> <P>Thanks for any help so far!</P>

[quote user="patmac"]I printed out the info from "about" PMail, showing the locations of the HOME, NEW and TEMP folders. Finally found the folders while on the Admin account and selected "Share This Folder". Logged out of the Admin account and into the non-Admin account and went into Pegasus there. It asked for POP3 and SMTP stuff which I put in. I was able to do a Selective Mail Download, but unable to send anything. Also, after closing the program and going back in, it was once again asking for all the network information, as before. Possibly just selecting "Share" isn't enough? Does anyone know if at the time of installation, are you given the option of making PMail available to all users on the computer?[/quote]

When you selected "Share" did you make sure the box "Allow network users to change my files" was checked?

Just curious, what is the path to these folders?

<p>[quote user="patmac"]I printed out the info from "about" PMail, showing the locations of the HOME, NEW and TEMP folders. Finally found the folders while on the Admin account and selected "Share This Folder". Logged out of the Admin account and into the non-Admin account and went into Pegasus there. It asked for POP3 and SMTP stuff which I put in. I was able to do a Selective Mail Download, but unable to send anything. Also, after closing the program and going back in, it was once again asking for all the network information, as before. Possibly just selecting "Share" isn't enough? Does anyone know if at the time of installation, are you given the option of making PMail available to all users on the computer?[/quote]</p><p>When you selected "Share" did you make sure the box "Allow network users to change my files" was checked? </p><p>Just curious, what is the path to these folders?</p><p> </p>

No I didn't select "Allow network users to change my files" because I didn't/don't know enough about that check box. I selected only "Share this folder on the network". The path for these folders is: c:\docs and settings\guest\locals~1\Temp. What exposure from outside my computer do I take on if I select "allow others to change my files"? I haven't been on this forum for a few days because I had a "driveby" with a trojan. AVG caught it before it was acted on, but funny thing was, it was in the Temp folder in the above path. Thanks for your continued time and patience.

<P>No I didn't select "Allow network users to change my files" because I didn't/don't know enough about that check box. I selected only "Share this folder on the network". The path for these folders is: c:\docs and settings\guest\locals~1\Temp. What exposure from outside my computer do I take on if I select "allow others to change my files"? I haven't been on this forum for a few days because I had a "driveby" with a trojan. AVG caught it before it was acted on, but funny thing was, it was in the Temp folder in the above path. Thanks for your continued time and patience.</P>

[quote user="patmac"]

No I didn't select "Allow network users to change my files" because I didn't/don't know enough about that check box. I selected only "Share this folder on the network". The path for these folders is: c:\docs and settings\guest\locals~1\Temp. What exposure from outside my computer do I take on if I select "allow others to change my files"? I haven't been on this forum for a few days because I had a "driveby" with a trojan. AVG caught it before it was acted on, but funny thing was, it was in the Temp folder in the above path. Thanks for your continued time and patience.

[/quote]

If you're behind a NAT router, then allowing network users to change the Pegasus Mail files will be fine.  You have to have that enabled on XP Home to allow non-admin users the ability to write their e-mails to the disk.

If you're using a cable modem which gives you a routable IP address (i.e. one that is NOT 192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x, or 10.x.x.x) then you would need a 3rd-party firewall to secure your system -- IMHO the Windows XP firewall is not sufficient.  Get ZoneAlarm (the free version is all you need).

From the Zonelabs Free download page:

[quote]
ZoneAlarm is FREE for individual and not-for-profit charitable entity use (excluding governmental entities and educational institutions).
[/quote]
http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en

If you're on a laptop which roams and connects to the Internet at unsecured WiFi hotspots, you would want to have a 3rd-party firewall like ZoneAlarm (free version).

[quote user="patmac"] <p>No I didn't select "Allow network users to change my files" because I didn't/don't know enough about that check box. I selected only "Share this folder on the network". The path for these folders is: c:\docs and settings\guest\locals~1\Temp. What exposure from outside my computer do I take on if I select "allow others to change my files"? I haven't been on this forum for a few days because I had a "driveby" with a trojan. AVG caught it before it was acted on, but funny thing was, it was in the Temp folder in the above path. Thanks for your continued time and patience.</p> <p>[/quote] </p> <p> </p> <p>If you're behind a NAT router, then allowing network users to change the Pegasus Mail files will be fine.  You have to have that enabled on XP Home to allow non-admin users the ability to write their e-mails to the disk. If you're using a cable modem which gives you a routable IP address (i.e. one that is NOT 192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x, or 10.x.x.x) then you would need a 3rd-party firewall to secure your system -- IMHO the Windows XP firewall is not sufficient.  Get ZoneAlarm (the free version is all you need). </p> <p>From the Zonelabs Free download page:</p> <p>[quote] ZoneAlarm is FREE for individual and not-for-profit charitable entity use (excluding governmental entities and educational institutions). [/quote] <a href="http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en" mce_href="http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en">http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en</a> If you're on a laptop which roams and connects to the Internet at unsecured WiFi hotspots, you would want to have a 3rd-party firewall like ZoneAlarm (free version). </p>

I'm on Verizon FiOS using an Actiontec MI424WR. I just logged into the config on it, and there is alot of stuff in there, so let me know what I should look for. I do have 192.168.x.x, but I didn't see anything regarding NAT. Please advise, thanks.

I'm on Verizon FiOS using an Actiontec MI424WR. I just logged into the config on it, and there is alot of stuff in there, so let me know what I should look for. I do have 192.168.x.x, but I didn't see anything regarding NAT. Please advise, thanks.

If you have a 192.168.x.x IP address then you're behind a NAT.  That router can be set to not provide NAT but it's not trivial to do.  The techs who install FIOS will only do it under extreme duress (yes I've been through it).

<p>If you have a 192.168.x.x IP address then you're behind a NAT.  That router can be set to not provide NAT but it's not trivial to do.  The techs who install FIOS will only do it under extreme duress (yes I've been through it).  </p>

Just want to make sure everyone knows I'm router-iliterate. The 192.168.x.x is what I type in to get to my router, so is this my IP address or the address of the router on the internet or is that the same? Thanks

<P>Just want to make sure everyone knows I'm router-iliterate. The 192.168.x.x is what I type in to get to my router, so is this my IP address or the address of the router on the internet or is that the same? Thanks</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

192.168.x.x is your LOCAL IP address.  Your router has a different, routable IP address.  If you're curious what your router's IP address is, just go to http://checkip.dyndns.com/

192.168.x.x is your LOCAL IP address.  Your router has a different, routable IP address.  If you're curious what your router's IP address is, just go to http://checkip.dyndns.com/
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft