Community Discussions and Support
Angus, Thank you

Angus,

Thank you for your thoughtful suggestion.  At the time of my problem, the Pegasus windows was clear of any subordinate windows.  Maybe my problem was that when I anticipated appearance of the options sub-window, I did not not notice appearance of the scrollbars.

You were correct that sudden appearance of scroll bars should have given me a clue.  When I was looking for the options window, I apparently failed to note the suddenly apparent scrollbars.  Thank you for your patience and your perception.

<p>Angus,</p><p>Thank you for your thoughtful suggestion.  At the time of my problem, the Pegasus windows was clear of any subordinate windows.  Maybe my problem was that when I anticipated appearance of the options sub-window, I did not not notice appearance of the scrollbars.</p><p>You were correct that sudden appearance of scroll bars should have given me a clue.  When I was looking for the options window, I apparently failed to note the suddenly apparent scrollbars.  Thank you for your patience and your perception. </p>

The Tools --> Options menu item on my installation of Pegasus has stopped working.  Likewise, the [alt]+[f10} hot key combination yields no effect.

Other options on the Tools menu seem to work just fine.

The immediate problem, beyond non-appearance of the options sub-menu, is that without the options sub-menu, I cannot activate the "mailto" hyperlink function.

Is there a "usr" or "cfg" file, or such, that can re-enable the options sub-menu?

If you would like more background on the specifics of this incident, I offer the following:

(Please forgive if I err on the side of providing too much detail.)

My system is Pegasus 4.41 over Windows XP Pro  SP2 on a Thinkpad X40 (Pentium M 1.2 GHz, 1.5Gb), all with latest updates, I think.

Pegasus is installed in D:\PMail:  not in C:\Program Files\PMail.  This is to isolate Pegasus from re-installations of Windows, and to facilitate periodic backup of the Pegasus program and data as a working unit.

A couple weeks ago, a combination of Microsoft and Lenovo updates clobbered my operating system, leading me to reformat C: and re-install XP.  With PMail on D:, reformatting the C drive does not seem to bother Pegasus beyond needing to re-establish shorcuts and perhaps re-enabling the "mailto" hyperlink.

Earlier today I was fussing around with re-enabling the "mailto" function.  Since I am brain damaged, I do not remember the details of infrequent procedures of any sort.  I may become flustered when trying to consider more then a single option.  As I was trying to figure out what to do, I did not remember the magical "mailto" hyperlink located within the tools --> options sub-menu.  Instead, I thought of the apparently-obsolete Pegasus "mailto:" utility from the days of Windows 95.  Then I thought of enabling "mailto:" by modifying the "about:config" table of firefox, and maybe editing the Windows registry.

I found some pretty clear instructions about modifying "about:config".  Before making any changes to Firefox, I navigated to D:\PMail directory to assure correct specification of the Pegasus executable.  While looking in the D:\PMail directory, I saw wsendto.exe.  I did not think that wsendto.exe was the obsolete "mailto:" utility used in Window 95,  but did not immediately recognize it as the helper utility toward which I needed to point Firefox. (In my semi-cognizant, brain damaged way of trying to think and act

simultaneously--even when simultaneous processes yield

unpredictable results within my damaged brain--it seems that trying to identify the wsendto.exe program diverted my focus to the former, now-apparently-obsolete-and-abandoned, Pegasus mailto utility.)  Next, I saw wpmmapi.exe.  Likewise, I did not immediately recall the function of this program.  I clicked on wpmmapi.exe, without apparent result. This is the point at which I discovered that the options sub-menu had vanished.

To correct the problem, I rebooted Windows, to no avail.

Next, I reinstalled Pegasus 4.41, hoping that the "update" installation option might correct the vanished sub-menu, again to no avail.

Next, I made a backup of my D:\PMail directory, then uninstalled and re-installed Pegasus 4.41.  The new installation did not automatically find my existing setting and mail files.  I am sure there is a way to point the new installation to the old files, but finding and deciphering and then properly modifying the proper file(s) was beyond my befuddled state  If I needed to identify and decipher usr and cfg and ini files and such, I hoped it might be easier to restore the vanished "option" sub-menu, rather then point the new installation to the old files.  Besides, I had a foggy recollection that some PMail files may have

specific-length headers, or other features, so that manual editing is

counterproductive.  Again, I did not immediately remember the details because my thinking proceeds more slowly then my capacity to act..  So  I un-installed the new  Pegasus installation and restored the old installation from backup.

Before un-installing the new installation, I did not remember that PConfig.exe might point the new installation to the old files, without my needing to decipher and modify files by hand. 

Also, wssetup.exe did not seem to set Pegasus the default email client, even after checking the corresponding "enable" box.

Now I am back to a working Pegasus installation, albeit without enabled "mailto:", and without access to the tools --> options sub-menu.

Thank you for patient in reading all the details.  Any suggestion?

Thanks again in advance.

<p>The Tools --> Options menu item on my installation of Pegasus has stopped working.  Likewise, the [alt]+[f10} hot key combination yields no effect.</p><p>Other options on the Tools menu seem to work just fine.</p><p>The immediate problem, beyond non-appearance of the options sub-menu, is that without the options sub-menu, I cannot activate the "mailto" hyperlink function.</p><p>Is there a "usr" or "cfg" file, or such, that can re-enable the options sub-menu? </p><p>_____________________ </p><p>If you would like more background on the specifics of this incident, I offer the following: </p><p>(Please forgive if I err on the side of providing too much detail.) </p><p>My system is Pegasus 4.41 over Windows XP Pro  SP2 on a Thinkpad X40 (Pentium M 1.2 GHz, 1.5Gb), all with latest updates, I think.</p><p>Pegasus is installed in D:\PMail:  not in C:\Program Files\PMail.  This is to isolate Pegasus from re-installations of Windows, and to facilitate periodic backup of the Pegasus program and data as a working unit. </p><p>A couple weeks ago, a combination of Microsoft and Lenovo updates clobbered my operating system, leading me to reformat C: and re-install XP.  With PMail on D:, reformatting the C drive does not seem to bother Pegasus beyond needing to re-establish shorcuts and perhaps re-enabling the "mailto" hyperlink. Earlier today I was fussing around with re-enabling the "mailto" function.  Since I am brain damaged, I do not remember the details of infrequent procedures of any sort.  I may become flustered when trying to consider more then a single option.  As I was trying to figure out what to do, I did not remember the magical "mailto" hyperlink located within the tools --> options sub-menu.  Instead, I thought of the apparently-obsolete Pegasus "mailto:" utility from the days of Windows 95.  Then I thought of enabling "mailto:" by modifying the "about:config" table of firefox, and maybe editing the Windows registry. </p><p>I found some pretty clear instructions about modifying "about:config".  Before making any changes to Firefox, I navigated to D:\PMail directory to assure correct specification of the Pegasus executable.  While looking in the D:\PMail directory, I saw wsendto.exe.  I did not think that wsendto.exe was the obsolete "mailto:" utility used in Window 95,  but did not immediately recognize it as the helper utility toward which I needed to point Firefox. (In my semi-cognizant, brain damaged way of trying to think and act simultaneously--even when simultaneous processes yield unpredictable results within my damaged brain--it seems that trying to identify the wsendto.exe program diverted my focus to the former, now-apparently-obsolete-and-abandoned, Pegasus mailto utility.)  Next, I saw wpmmapi.exe.  Likewise, I did not immediately recall the function of this program.  I clicked on wpmmapi.exe, without apparent result. This is the point at which I discovered that the options sub-menu had vanished.</p><p> To correct the problem, I rebooted Windows, to no avail.</p><p> Next, I reinstalled Pegasus 4.41, hoping that the "update" installation option might correct the vanished sub-menu, again to no avail.</p><p>Next, I made a backup of my D:\PMail directory, then uninstalled and re-installed Pegasus 4.41.  The new installation did not automatically find my existing setting and mail files.  I am sure there is a way to point the new installation to the old files, but finding and deciphering and then properly modifying the proper file(s) was beyond my befuddled state  If I needed to identify and decipher usr and cfg and ini files and such, I hoped it might be easier to restore the vanished "option" sub-menu, rather then point the new installation to the old files.  Besides, I had a foggy recollection that some PMail files may have specific-length headers, or other features, so that manual editing is counterproductive.  Again, I did not immediately remember the details because my thinking proceeds more slowly then my capacity to act..  So  I un-installed the new  Pegasus installation and restored the old installation from backup. </p><p>Before un-installing the new installation, I did not remember that PConfig.exe might point the new installation to the old files, without my needing to decipher and modify files by hand.  </p><p>Also, wssetup.exe did not seem to set Pegasus the default email client, even after checking the corresponding "enable" box. </p><p>Now I am back to a working Pegasus installation, albeit without enabled "mailto:", and without access to the tools --> options sub-menu.</p><p>Thank you for patient in reading all the details.  Any suggestion?</p><p>Thanks again in advance.  </p>

Could it be that the Options window is appearing but it's off-screen?  Close all your other windows (folders list, any messages, address books, etc.) then click Tools -> Options.  If you suddenly have scroll-bars that should allow you to find the Options window.

Could it be that the Options window is appearing but it's off-screen?  Close all your other windows (folders list, any messages, address books, etc.) then click Tools -> Options.  If you suddenly have scroll-bars that should allow you to find the Options window.

The first thing that comes to mind is that the window is opening but is off screen.  Try using the Window | Tile or Cascade to bring all windows into view. 

FWIW, the re-install is a waste of time and can cause all sorts of problems as you have seen.  The problems you are having are caused by your configuration and the reinstall does not affect any of the user data.  You can more easily exit the program, delete the pmail.ini, and state.pmj and you'll erase all of your configuration without affecting any of your actual data..

<p>The first thing that comes to mind is that the window is opening but is off screen.  Try using the Window | Tile or Cascade to bring all windows into view.  </p><p>FWIW, the re-install is a waste of time and can cause all sorts of problems as you have seen.  The problems you are having are caused by your configuration and the reinstall does not affect any of the user data.  You can more easily exit the program, delete the pmail.ini, and state.pmj and you'll erase all of your configuration without affecting any of your actual data.. </p><p> </p>

Tom,

Thank you very much.  Your Window | Tile or Cascade suggestion solved the problem.

I feel so silly.  I don't know how I could have missed seeing the options window.  I feel a bit like the person who was stymied by a non-functioning machine, but failed to notice that the machine was unplugged.

In trying to replicate the problem, I notice that if a Pegasus session is closed while a subordinate window resides beyond the main window, a new session opens with the subordinate window closed.  Then, opening the subordinate menu evokes scroll bars rather then the subordinate window.  When I was expecting the subordinate window, maybe I did not notice the scrollbars.

In any event, your suggestion of clicking Window | Tile or Cascade resolves the issue.

I still feel silly.  Thank you again for your patience and for your perception.

<p>Tom,</p><p>Thank you very much.  Your Window | Tile or Cascade suggestion solved the problem.</p><p>I feel so silly.  I don't know how I could have missed seeing the options window.  I feel a bit like the person who was stymied by a non-functioning machine, but failed to notice that the machine was unplugged. </p><p>In trying to replicate the problem, I notice that if a Pegasus session is closed while a subordinate window resides beyond the main window, a new session opens with the subordinate window closed.  Then, opening the subordinate menu evokes scroll bars rather then the subordinate window.  When I was expecting the subordinate window, maybe I did not notice the scrollbars. </p><p>In any event, your suggestion of clicking Window | Tile or Cascade resolves the issue.</p><p>I still feel silly.  Thank you again for your patience and for your perception. </p>

Think of it this way.  You generally get answers from people who have done the same thing in the past themselves.  ;-)

<p>Think of it this way.  You generally get answers from people who have done the same thing in the past themselves.  ;-)</p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft