Community Discussions and Support
Problem with the incoming job counter, in the core module?

[quote user="Peter Strömblad"]In that case a little education please.

What does Ready, Pending and Complete mean?[/quote]

Check this out from July http://community.pmail.com/forums/post/3055.aspx

[quote user="Peter Strömblad"]In that case a little education please. <P>What does Ready, Pending and Complete mean?[/quote]</P> <P>Check this out from July [url]http://community.pmail.com/forums/post/3055.aspx[/url]</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

I posted my question in the mercury/32 maillinglist too, but
nobody answered.. Ist the mercury/32 maillinglist dead? 

Post from 17.10.2007:
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

today I have a very curio situtation with de Mercury/32 4.52 incoming
queue counter.

Some spammer send me Mails to an non existing email account.
Mercury/32 return the "user <...> not known" message and quit, but in the
core module the "ready incoming jobs counter" was increased with one.
(After a longer time the counter show's me 52 ready jobs, but in the queue isn't a file available)

The counter will only reseted if mercury/32 accept an valid email and the
core module will process a message.

Is this a individual problem on my site or a general?
Or perhaps this is the right process flow?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

&lt;pre&gt;I posted my question in the mercury/32 maillinglist too, but&lt;/pre&gt;&lt;pre&gt;nobody answered.. Ist the mercury/32 maillinglist dead?&amp;nbsp;&lt;/pre&gt;&lt;pre&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/pre&gt;&lt;pre&gt;Post from 17.10.2007:&lt;/pre&gt;&lt;pre&gt; --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------&lt;/pre&gt;&lt;pre&gt;Hello, today I have a very curio situtation with de Mercury/32 4.52 incoming queue counter. Some spammer send me Mails to an non existing email account. Mercury/32 return the &quot;user &amp;lt;...&amp;gt; not known&quot; message and quit, but in the core module the &quot;ready incoming jobs counter&quot; was increased with one.&lt;/pre&gt;&lt;pre&gt;(After a longer time the counter show&#039;s me 52 ready jobs, but in the queue isn&#039;t a file available) The counter will only reseted if mercury/32 accept an valid email and the core module will process a message. Is this a individual problem on my site or a general? Or perhaps this is the right process flow? &amp;nbsp;--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------&lt;/pre&gt;&lt;pre&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/pre&gt;&lt;pre&gt;Thanks&lt;/pre&gt;&lt;pre&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/pre&gt;&lt;pre&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/pre&gt;&lt;pre&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/pre&gt;&lt;pre&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/pre&gt;

[quote user="tfehr"]

I posted my question in the mercury/32 maillinglist too, but nobody answered.. Ist the mercury/32 maillinglist dead? 

[/quote]

The mercury list is alive and well.  You probably did not get an answer since nobody knew the answer. FWIW, I can't even remember the 
last time I even looked at the message counter in Mercury/32 core.  ;-)
[quote user=&quot;tfehr&quot;]&lt;pre&gt;I posted my question in the mercury/32 maillinglist too, but nobody answered.. Ist the mercury/32 maillinglist dead? &lt;/pre&gt;&lt;pre&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/pre&gt;&lt;pre&gt;&amp;nbsp;[/quote]&lt;/pre&gt;&lt;pre&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/pre&gt;&lt;pre&gt;The mercury list is alive and well. You probably did not get an answer since nobody knew the answer. FWIW, I can&#039;t even remember the &lt;/pre&gt;&lt;pre&gt;last time I even looked at the message counter in Mercury/32 core. ;-)&lt;/pre&gt;

[quote user="Peter Strömblad"]afaik, the counters are not that accurate.[/quote]

The counters are 100% accurate, but you have to have an understanding of what they're reporting...

When Mercury deletes a message, it typically can't remove the files immediately (there are complex internal reasons of thread synchronization behind this). As a result, all it does is mark the message as deleted, then waits until it gets to a synchronization point where it can actually remove the files. When you get heavy spam loads on MercuryS, it creates and discards a lot of jobs, which is why you see the queue counter going up and up and up... Then at some point you'll see the queue counter suddenly drop to zero or a number very near it - that's where Mercury has encountered a synchro point and been able to delete the files.

The primary benefit the queue counters offer is an overview of the internal state of the queue at any given moment. If you see numbers that seem to be high and stay that way, then that may indicate a low-level problem of some kind... But the behaviour you're seeing is not unusual and is certainly quite normal in a system that is handling and turning away a lot of spam.

Cheers!

-- David --

[quote user=&quot;Peter Str&ouml;mblad&quot;]afaik, the counters are not that accurate.[/quote] The counters are 100% accurate, but you have to have an understanding of what they&#039;re reporting... When Mercury deletes a message, it typically can&#039;t remove the files immediately (there are complex internal reasons of thread synchronization behind this). As a result, all it does is mark the message as deleted, then waits until it gets to a synchronization point where it can actually remove the files. When you get heavy spam loads on MercuryS, it creates and discards a lot of jobs, which is why you see the queue counter going up and up and up... Then at some point you&#039;ll see the queue counter suddenly drop to zero or a number very near it - that&#039;s where Mercury has encountered a synchro point and been able to delete the files. The primary benefit the queue counters offer is an overview of the internal state of the queue at any given moment. If you see numbers that seem to be high and stay that way, then that may indicate a low-level problem of some kind... But the behaviour you&#039;re seeing is not unusual and is certainly quite normal in a system that is handling and turning away a lot of spam. Cheers! -- David --

In that case a little education please.

What does Ready, Pending and Complete mean?

I was under the impression that Complete should count up, no matter what.

&lt;P&gt;In that case a little education please.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;What does Ready, Pending and Complete mean?&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;I was under the impression that Complete should count up, no matter what.&lt;/P&gt;

[quote user="Peter Strömblad"]

What does Ready, Pending and Complete mean?

[/quote]

"Ready" is jobs that are currently being processed, or are ready to be processed on the next poll. At this stage, it also includes jobs that were added to the queue but deleted before they were ever committed, which is why MercuryS's deleted jobs are included.

"Pending" is jobs that are not currently ready for processing - usually because they are waiting for a retry standdown period to elapse.

"Complete" is jobs for which every recipient has a result - either failed or success - and hence are ready for removal from the queue.

So, a message with three recipients, two of whom have had successful delivery but the third is awaiting a retry (perhaps because the host was down) will appear in the "Pending" category, whereas a message with three recipients where two have had successful delivery and one has failed permanently will appear in the "Completed" count until the job is finally deleted.

HTH

-- David --

[quote user=&quot;Peter Str&ouml;mblad&quot;]&lt;p&gt;What does Ready, Pending and Complete mean?&lt;/p&gt;[/quote] &quot;Ready&quot; is jobs that are currently being processed, or are ready to be processed on the next poll. At this stage, it also includes jobs that were added to the queue but deleted before they were ever committed, which is why MercuryS&#039;s deleted jobs are included. &quot;Pending&quot; is jobs that are not currently ready for processing - usually because they are waiting for a retry standdown period to elapse. &quot;Complete&quot; is jobs for which every recipient has a result - either failed or success - and hence are ready for removal from the queue. So, a message with three recipients, two of whom have had successful delivery but the third is awaiting a retry (perhaps because the host was down) will appear in the &quot;Pending&quot; category, whereas a message with three recipients where two have had successful delivery and one has failed permanently will appear in the &quot;Completed&quot; count until the job is finally deleted. HTH -- David --
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft