Community Discussions and Support
POP3 Network or Protocol Error - Socket failed 277A

Code 227A is not a Winsock error message, the Url below lists all Winsock codes:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms740668.aspx

I think you should check your router documentation and/or the vendor site

Martin  

<p>Code 227A is not a Winsock error message, the Url below lists all Winsock codes:</p><p>http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms740668.aspx</p><p> I think you should check your router documentation and/or the vendor site</p><p>Martin  </p>

Hi

I am running v4.41 and have been regularly experiencing an error message when trying to send or receive mail. The message "POP3 Network or Protocol Error - A network error occurred during connection to the host", and also "3: Socket failed, 277A".

This usually happens about twice a day, and I always have to close Pegasus Mail and reload the program, and then it is OK.  I should add here that other internet services are available when this happens, but Pegasus just will not send or receive until I reload.

Looking at other postings, I gather that this is not a Pegasus Mail issue as such, but I don't know what the code "277A" is indicating - and therefore am at a loss to know how to resolve this? 

Thanks,

David 

<p>Hi </p><p>I am running v4.41 and have been regularly experiencing an error message when trying to send or receive mail. The message "POP3 Network or Protocol Error - A network error occurred during connection to the host", and also "3: Socket failed, 277A".</p><p>This usually happens about twice a day, and I always have to close Pegasus Mail and reload the program, and then it is OK.  I should add here that other internet services are available when this happens, but Pegasus just will not send or receive until I reload. </p><p> Looking at other postings, I gather that this is not a Pegasus Mail issue as such, but I don't know what the code "277A" is indicating - and therefore am at a loss to know how to resolve this? </p><p> Thanks,</p><p> </p><p>David </p><p> </p>

[quote user="Ambassador"]

Hi

I am running v4.41 and have been regularly experiencing an error message when trying to send or receive mail. The message "POP3 Network or Protocol Error - A network error occurred during connection to the host", and also "3: Socket failed, 277A".

This usually happens about twice a day, and I always have to close Pegasus Mail and reload the program, and then it is OK.  I should add here that other internet services are available when this happens, but Pegasus just will not send or receive until I reload.

Looking at other postings, I gather that this is not a Pegasus Mail issue as such, but I don't know what the code "277A" is indicating - and therefore am at a loss to know how to resolve this? 

Thanks,

David 

[/quote]

Don't know specifically what this error code is either but these are generally TCP/IP timeout type errors.  Try increasing the TCP/IP timeout in the POP3/SMTP setup to around 180 seconds and see if this fixes the problem.

[quote user="Ambassador"]<p>Hi </p><p>I am running v4.41 and have been regularly experiencing an error message when trying to send or receive mail. The message "POP3 Network or Protocol Error - A network error occurred during connection to the host", and also "3: Socket failed, 277A".</p><p>This usually happens about twice a day, and I always have to close Pegasus Mail and reload the program, and then it is OK.  I should add here that other internet services are available when this happens, but Pegasus just will not send or receive until I reload. </p><p> Looking at other postings, I gather that this is not a Pegasus Mail issue as such, but I don't know what the code "277A" is indicating - and therefore am at a loss to know how to resolve this? </p><p> Thanks,</p><p> </p><p>David </p><p> </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Don't know specifically what this error code is either but these are generally TCP/IP timeout type errors.  Try increasing the TCP/IP timeout in the POP3/SMTP setup to around 180 seconds and see if this fixes the problem.</p><p> </p>

Hi Thomas

>Don't know specifically what this error code is either but these are generally TCP/IP timeout type errors.  Try increasing the TCP/IP timeout in the POP3/SMTP setup to around 180 seconds and see if this fixes the problem.<

Tried that but I have just had the problem again (a few minutes ago). When this problem arises, and  I click the globe icon (to get new mail), the error displays immediately - ie it does *not* wait for the 180 secs and then displays....

Any ideas?

David

&lt;P&gt;Hi Thomas&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;nbsp;&amp;gt;Don&#039;t know specifically what this error code is either but these are generally TCP/IP timeout type errors.&amp;nbsp; Try increasing the TCP/IP timeout in the POP3/SMTP setup to around 180 seconds and see if this fixes the problem.&amp;lt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Tried that but I have just had the problem again (a few minutes ago).&amp;nbsp;When this problem arises, and&amp;nbsp; I click the globe icon (to get new mail), the error displays immediately - ie it does *not* wait for the 180 secs and then displays....&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Any ideas?&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;David&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt;

[quote user="Ambassador"]

Hi Thomas

>Don't know specifically what this error code is either but these are generally TCP/IP timeout type errors.  Try increasing the TCP/IP timeout in the POP3/SMTP setup to around 180 seconds and see if this fixes the problem.<

Tried that but I have just had the problem again (a few minutes ago). When this problem arises, and  I click the globe icon (to get new mail), the error displays immediately - ie it does *not* wait for the 180 secs and then displays....

Any ideas?

David

[/quote]

Yes, WinPMail gets an answer from the winsock that it's broken.  The why is more of a problem.  For some reason WinPMail is setting there with a dead winsock connection and that's a problem at a much lower level than WinPMail works.  Is there some sort of proxy working between WinPMail and the outside world?

[quote user=&quot;Ambassador&quot;]&lt;p&gt;Hi Thomas&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&amp;gt;Don&#039;t know specifically what this error code is either but these are generally TCP/IP timeout type errors.&amp;nbsp; Try increasing the TCP/IP timeout in the POP3/SMTP setup to around 180 seconds and see if this fixes the problem.&amp;lt;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;Tried that but I have just had the problem again (a few minutes ago).&amp;nbsp;When this problem arises, and&amp;nbsp; I click the globe icon (to get new mail), the error displays immediately - ie it does *not* wait for the 180 secs and then displays....&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;Any ideas?&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;David&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Yes, WinPMail gets an answer from the winsock that it&#039;s broken.&amp;nbsp; The why is more of a problem.&amp;nbsp; For some reason WinPMail is setting there with a dead winsock connection and that&#039;s a problem at a much lower level than WinPMail works.&amp;nbsp; Is there some sort of proxy working between WinPMail and the outside world?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Hi again

>Yes, WinPMail gets an answer from the winsock that it's broken.  The why is more of a problem.  For some reason WinPMail is setting there with a dead winsock connection and that's a problem at a much lower level than WinPMail works.  Is there some sort of proxy working between WinPMail and the outside world?<

Not sure how I would know this? Basically, all other services to the internet remain OK when this issue arises (eg Browsing, Napster, Cute FTP) - it is only Pegasus that won't connect until the program is shut down and reloaded. We are using ADSL with a Belkin router (does up to 4 wireless connections), and this has been in place for years (unalterered). I am using CA Security Suite Firewall, but again I can't see why that should be an issue either..

Where do I look and how do I check for any proxy settings, and is there any list that explains what code 277A actually is?

Thanks again,  David 

&lt;P&gt;Hi again&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;nbsp;&amp;gt;Yes, WinPMail gets an answer from the winsock that it&#039;s broken.&amp;nbsp; The why is more of a problem.&amp;nbsp; For some reason WinPMail is setting there with a dead winsock connection and that&#039;s a problem at a much lower level than WinPMail works.&amp;nbsp; Is there some sort of proxy working between WinPMail and the outside world?&amp;lt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Not sure how I would know this? Basically, all other services to the internet remain OK when this issue arises (eg Browsing, Napster, Cute FTP) - it is only Pegasus that won&#039;t connect until the program is shut down and reloaded. We are using ADSL with a Belkin router (does up to 4 wireless connections), and this has been in place for years (unalterered). I am using CA Security Suite Firewall, but again I can&#039;t see why that should be an issue either..&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Where do I look and how do I check for any proxy settings, and is there any list that explains what code 277A actually is?&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;nbsp;Thanks again,&amp;nbsp; David&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft