Community Discussions and Support
Mail Filiter inconsistancy?

Thanks for the answer - I can see now what has happened.

I had set up a rule in the Mail Filter such that all incoming messages to one of my email addresses are direct to a specified folder, as it is set to check for several identities when pulling down the mail. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have a workaround here so that only those particular emails are exempt from Spamhalter - or are there parameters in Spamhalter to do this?

Thanks for your help,

David 

<P>Thanks for the answer - I can see now what has happened. </P> <P>I had set up a rule in the Mail Filter such that all incoming messages to one of my email addresses are direct to a specified folder, as it is set to check for several identities when pulling down the mail. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have a workaround here so that only those particular emails are exempt from Spamhalter - or are there parameters in Spamhalter to do this?</P> <P>Thanks for your help,</P> <P> David </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

Hi

I am using v4.41 and have been using the Mail filter for many months. When I check for New Mail (using my default identity, in Single User Mode), the settings are arranged so that it also checks for New Mail in two other Identities.

Recently, I modified the Mail Filter so that any incoming mail addressed to a certain incoming email address (let's call it david@myaddress.com) would be automatically MOVEd to a special folder. However, even though this is the very first command in the Mail Filter, I noticed yesterday that a message had arrived and had been moved to the SPAM folder (I am using Spamhalter).

So, I then manually moved the message back to the New Mail folder, marked it as "unread", closed the New Mail folder and then opened it up again, and guess what ... it was automatically moved by the filtering commands to the special folder.

I had changed nothing that could have affected the events above, but thought I should report it, and am wondering if anyone else has noticed similar, or are there known circumstances where this could or should happen?

David

<P>Hi</P> <P>I am using v4.41 and have been using the Mail filter for many months. When I check for New Mail (using my default identity, in Single User Mode), the settings are arranged so that it also checks for New Mail in two other Identities. </P> <P>Recently, I modified the Mail Filter so that any incoming mail addressed to a certain incoming email address (let's call it <A href="mailto:david@myaddress.com">david@myaddress.com</A>) would be automatically MOVEd to a special folder. However, even though this is the very first command in the Mail Filter, I noticed yesterday that a message had arrived and had been moved to the SPAM folder (I am using Spamhalter).</P> <P>So, I then manually moved the message back to the New Mail folder, marked it as "unread", closed the New Mail folder and then opened it up again, and guess what ... it was automatically moved by the filtering commands to the special folder.</P> <P> I had changed nothing that could have affected the events above, but thought I should report it, and am wondering if anyone else has noticed similar, or are there known circumstances where this could or should happen?</P> <P>David</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

Hello!

[quote] Recently, I modified the Mail Filter so that any incoming mail addressed to a certain incoming email address (let's call it david@myaddress.com) would be automatically MOVEd to a special folder. However, even though this is the very first command in the Mail Filter, I noticed yesterday that a message had arrived and had been moved to the SPAM folder (I am using Spamhalter).[/quote]
This is by design. Spamhalter checks your incoming messages before the New Mail filtering rules do (provided that Spamhalter is enabled, of course). If you want to know more about Pegasus Mail's local filtering facilities and the order in which they are applied,.read the FAQ-entry titled "Order of Pegasus Mail‘s filtering tools (for incoming messages)".
If you do not want to have certain messages checked by Spamhalter or by content control, you should add the sender's address to your Global Whitelist.

[quote]So, I then manually moved the message back to the New Mail folder, marked it as "unread", closed the New Mail folder and then opened it up again, and guess what ... it was automatically moved by the filtering commands to the special folder.[/quote]
By moving a message out of the SPAM folder into another one, you tell Spamhalter to change the Spam-classification of that message.

This is what I think happened: Spamhalter had checked that message and had classified it as Spam. Hence, Spamhalter moved the message to your SPAM folder. Since the message had already been moved, your New Mail filtering rules could not check that message.
You manually moved the message out of the SPAM folder to another folder. By doing so, you told Spamhalter to change the Spam-classification: Spamhalter should classify that message as a 'good message' and should learn how a 'good message' can look like. In other words: the statistical likelihood of detecting that message (and similar messages) was reduced.
The message was in the New Mail folder again. Spamhalter had been told to classify such messages as Not-Spam, so Spamhalter did not touch that message anymore. As Spamhalter did not move the message, your New Mail filtering rules could be applied to that message, moving it the folder you had specified in the New Mail filtering rules.

<P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P>Hello!</P> <P>[quote] Recently, I modified the Mail Filter so that any incoming mail addressed to a certain incoming email address (let's call it <A href="mailto:david@myaddress.com"><FONT color=#02469b>david@myaddress.com</FONT></A>) would be automatically MOVEd to a special folder. However, even though this is the very first command in the Mail Filter, I noticed yesterday that a message had arrived and had been moved to the SPAM folder (I am using Spamhalter).[/quote] This is by design. Spamhalter checks your incoming messages <EM>before</EM> the New Mail filtering rules do (provided that Spamhalter is enabled, of course). If you want to know more about Pegasus Mail's local filtering facilities and the order in which they are applied,.read the FAQ-entry titled "<SPAN id=ctl00_ctl01_bcr_ctl00___ForumName><A class="" href="http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/1532.aspx" mce_href="/forums/thread/1532.aspx">Order of Pegasus Mail‘s filtering tools (for incoming messages)</A>". If you do not want to have certain messages checked by Spamhalter or by content control, you should add the sender's address to your Global Whitelist.</SPAN></P> <P><SPAN>[quote]So, I then manually moved the message back to the New Mail folder, marked it as "unread", closed the New Mail folder and then opened it up again, and guess what ... it was automatically moved by the filtering commands to the special folder.[/quote] By moving a message out of the SPAM folder into another one, you tell Spamhalter to change the Spam-classification of that message.</SPAN></P> <P><SPAN><SPAN>This is what I think happened: </SPAN>Spamhalter had checked that message and had classified it as Spam. Hence, Spamhalter moved the message to your SPAM folder. Since the message had already been moved, your New Mail filtering rules could not check that message. You manually moved the message out of the SPAM folder to another folder. By doing so, you told Spamhalter to change the Spam-classification: Spamhalter should classify that message as a 'good message' and should learn how a 'good message' can look like. In other words: the statistical likelihood of detecting that message (and similar messages) was reduced. The message was in the New Mail folder again. Spamhalter had been told to classify such messages as Not-Spam, so Spamhalter did not touch that message anymore. As Spamhalter did not move the message, your New Mail filtering rules could be applied to that message, moving it the folder you had specified in the New Mail filtering rules.</SPAN></P> <P><SPAN></SPAN> </P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft