Community Discussions and Support
POP3 Downloading

Sorry about this - the POP3 modules were not downloading anything. No *.MD files were in the folder.

What was happening was that the MessageLabs banner was not visible in one view - all mail defaults to plain text view, and although the banner is visible in the majority of these, it is not visible in others. Switching views revealed the banner. And the spam mails are addresses to two people who have filled out online surveys and and have not un-ticked the 3rd party mail request.... grrrr

Sorry for the false alarm.

<P>Sorry about this - the POP3 modules were not downloading anything. No *.MD files were in the folder.</P> <P>What was happening was that the MessageLabs banner was not visible in one view - all mail defaults to plain text view, and although the banner is visible in the majority of these, it is not visible in others. Switching views revealed the banner. And the spam mails are addresses to two people who have filled out online surveys and and have not un-ticked the 3rd party mail request.... grrrr</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P>Sorry for the false alarm.</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

Hi again

We have two POP3 accounts defined in the Mercury POP3 module. Both are presently disabled. This morning I discovered that even though they are both disabled, Mercury was still downloading from one of them.

I wanted to keep the account information within Mercury, but did not want to use them while we are testing the SMTP server. Can anyone suggest a way to tell Mercury not to download from either of the POP3 acounts please?

<P>Hi again</P> <P>We have two POP3 accounts defined in the Mercury POP3 module. Both are presently disabled. This morning I discovered that even though they are both disabled, Mercury was still downloading from one of them.</P> <P>I wanted to keep the account information within Mercury, but did not want to use them while we are testing the SMTP server. Can anyone suggest a way to tell Mercury not to download from either of the POP3 acounts please?</P>

[quote user="Greenman"]

Hi again

We have two POP3 accounts defined in the Mercury POP3 module. Both are presently disabled. This morning I discovered that even though they are both disabled, Mercury was still downloading from one of them.

I wanted to keep the account information within Mercury, but did not want to use them while we are testing the SMTP server. Can anyone suggest a way to tell Mercury not to download from either of the POP3 acounts please?

[/quote]

Check again.  MercuryD will not download when the POP3 setups are disabled.  Make sure you pause MercuryD though when making changes since changes will not be affected when the process is active.  Also make sure you are not running two instanses of mercury/32.

[quote user="Greenman"]<p>Hi again</p> <p>We have two POP3 accounts defined in the Mercury POP3 module. Both are presently disabled. This morning I discovered that even though they are both disabled, Mercury was still downloading from one of them.</p> <p>I wanted to keep the account information within Mercury, but did not want to use them while we are testing the SMTP server. Can anyone suggest a way to tell Mercury not to download from either of the POP3 acounts please?</p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Check again.  MercuryD will not download when the POP3 setups are disabled.  Make sure you pause MercuryD though when making changes since changes will not be affected when the process is active.  Also make sure you are not running two instanses of mercury/32.</p><p> </p><p> </p>

Thank you, Thomas. Since disabling both accounts I have manually stopped and restarted Mercury several times, and have re-checked the POP3 configuration each time too. The server has also been restarted twice since this change was implemented, and I am the only person to log onto it. It is definitely downloading from one POP3 box. I know this because at present the only mail being collected is via the SMTP module which collects mail from MessageLabs servers, all of which have a banner appended. The POP3 mail is all addressed to one domain, and is spam.

I'll remove the POP3 module from Mercury, and restart Mercury.

<P>Thank you, Thomas. Since disabling both accounts I have manually stopped and restarted Mercury several times, and have re-checked the POP3 configuration each time too. The server has also been restarted twice since this change was implemented, and I am the only person to log onto it. It is definitely downloading from one POP3 box. I know this because at present the only mail being collected is via the SMTP module which collects mail from MessageLabs servers, all of which have a banner appended. The POP3 mail is all addressed to one domain, and is spam.</P> <P>I'll remove the POP3 module from Mercury, and restart Mercury.</P>

[quote user="Greenman"]

Thank you, Thomas. Since disabling both accounts I have manually stopped and restarted Mercury several times, and have re-checked the POP3 configuration each time too. The server has also been restarted twice since this change was implemented, and I am the only person to log onto it. It is definitely downloading from one POP3 box. I know this because at present the only mail being collected is via the SMTP module which collects mail from MessageLabs servers, all of which have a banner appended. The POP3 mail is all addressed to one domain, and is spam.

I'll remove the POP3 module from Mercury, and restart Mercury.

[/quote]

This almost sounds like you are running multiple copies of Mercury/32.  Are you absolutely sure that there is only one running? Try using Task Manager to verify.

[quote user="Greenman"]<p>Thank you, Thomas. Since disabling both accounts I have manually stopped and restarted Mercury several times, and have re-checked the POP3 configuration each time too. The server has also been restarted twice since this change was implemented, and I am the only person to log onto it. It is definitely downloading from one POP3 box. I know this because at present the only mail being collected is via the SMTP module which collects mail from MessageLabs servers, all of which have a banner appended. The POP3 mail is all addressed to one domain, and is spam.</p> <p>I'll remove the POP3 module from Mercury, and restart Mercury.</p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>This almost sounds like you are running multiple copies of Mercury/32.  Are you absolutely sure that there is only one running? Try using Task Manager to verify.</p><p>  </p>

Just checked Task Manager, and there is just one copy of Mercury running.

Just checked Task Manager, and there is just one copy of Mercury running.

[quote user="Greenman"]Just checked Task Manager, and there is just one copy of Mercury running.[/quote]

There is no way in the world that MercuryD will continue downloading when disabled unless it was active when you were doing the disabling so it did not take affect.  Pause MercuryD and then go in and disable all of the POP3 accounts.  Verify they are disabled and then unpause.

<p>[quote user="Greenman"]Just checked Task Manager, and there is just one copy of Mercury running.[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>There is no way in the world that MercuryD will continue downloading when disabled unless it was active when you were doing the disabling so it did not take affect.  Pause MercuryD and then go in and disable all of the POP3 accounts.  Verify they are disabled and then unpause.</p><p> </p>

[quote user="Greenman"]

[/quote]

Are you certain it's Mercury? I've just checked the code, and it appears to be impossible for a definition marked as "Disabled" to be used in a download operation.

Cheers!

-- David --

[quote user="Greenman"]<p>We have two POP3 accounts defined in the Mercury POP3 module. Both are presently disabled. This morning I discovered that even though they are both disabled, Mercury was still downloading from one of them.</p>[/quote] Are you certain it's Mercury? I've just checked the code, and it appears to be impossible for a definition marked as "Disabled" to be used in a download operation. Cheers! -- David --

Thomas and David - thanks for your replies.

As I said, I have stopped and restarted Mercury several times, and have also restarted the server and checked the POP3 settings.

Here is a screenshot.

Again, the only mail we should be receiving is via MessageLabs, using the SMTP server. The only IP addresses allowed are those given us by MessageLabs when we set the service up. As you may be aware all mail filtered by MessageLabs has a banner appended identifying it as being processed by MessageLabs servers.

The mail in question has no banner, and is addressed to the second domain seen in the screenshot. When disabling the POP3 accounts, the first one was disabled and then about 2 weeks later, the second was disabled. All the mail is spam.

Is there any setting that could possibly overide this?

Edit:

Mercury is the only mail server running.

<P>Thomas and David - thanks for your replies.</P> <P>As I said, I have stopped and restarted Mercury several times, and have also restarted the server and checked the POP3 settings.</P> <P>Here is a <A class="" title="POP3 Settings" href="http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/858/pop3crcc7.jpg" target=_blank mce_href="http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/858/pop3crcc7.jpg">screenshot</A>.</P> <P>Again, the only mail we should be receiving is via MessageLabs, using the SMTP server. The only IP addresses allowed are those given us by MessageLabs when we set the service up. As you may be aware all mail filtered by MessageLabs has a banner appended identifying it as being processed by MessageLabs servers.</P> <P>The mail in question has no banner, and is addressed to the second domain seen in the screenshot. When disabling the POP3 accounts, the first one was disabled and then about 2 weeks later, the second was disabled. All the mail is spam.</P> <P>Is there any setting that could possibly overide this?</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P>Edit:</P> <P>Mercury is the only mail server running. </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

[quote user="Greenman"]

Thomas and David - thanks for your replies.

As I said, I have stopped and restarted Mercury several times, and have also restarted the server and checked the POP3 settings.

Here is a screenshot.

Again, the only mail we should be receiving is via MessageLabs, using the SMTP server. The only IP addresses allowed are those given us by MessageLabs when we set the service up. As you may be aware all mail filtered by MessageLabs has a banner appended identifying it as being processed by MessageLabs servers.

The mail in question has no banner, and is addressed to the second domain seen in the screenshot. When disabling the POP3 accounts, the first one was disabled and then about 2 weeks later, the second was disabled. All the mail is spam.

Is there any setting that could possibly override this?

Edit:

Mercury is the only mail server running.

[/quote]

No override setting at all.  I guess it's possible if you are using a proxy between MercuryD and the POP3 server that the proxy does not get the word that the POP3 account has been disabled.  I have no clue if this is even possible but it's the only thing I can think of that would cause the POP3 download.  I would recommend turning on session logging in MercuryD and then disable the POP3 accounts.  When you disable the account verify this by opening and closing MercuryD configuration to ensure they are disabled.  You might also try pausing MercuryD before doing the disabling so you are sure that MercuryD is not active when you are doing the configuration change.  Now if the mail is downloaded by MercuryD there should be a *.MD log file of the download.

[quote user="Greenman"]<p>Thomas and David - thanks for your replies.</p> <p>As I said, I have stopped and restarted Mercury several times, and have also restarted the server and checked the POP3 settings.</p> <p>Here is a <a href="http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/858/pop3crcc7.jpg" class="" title="POP3 Settings" target="_blank" mce_href="http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/858/pop3crcc7.jpg">screenshot</a>.</p> <p>Again, the only mail we should be receiving is via MessageLabs, using the SMTP server. The only IP addresses allowed are those given us by MessageLabs when we set the service up. As you may be aware all mail filtered by MessageLabs has a banner appended identifying it as being processed by MessageLabs servers.</p> <p>The mail in question has no banner, and is addressed to the second domain seen in the screenshot. When disabling the POP3 accounts, the first one was disabled and then about 2 weeks later, the second was disabled. All the mail is spam.</p> <p>Is there any setting that could possibly override this?</p> <p>Edit:</p> <p>Mercury is the only mail server running. </p><p> [/quote]</p><p> </p><p>No override setting at all.  I guess it's possible if you are using a proxy between MercuryD and the POP3 server that the proxy does not get the word that the POP3 account has been disabled.  I have no clue if this is even possible but it's the only thing I can think of that would cause the POP3 download.  I would recommend turning on session logging in MercuryD and then disable the POP3 accounts.  When you disable the account verify this by opening and closing MercuryD configuration to ensure they are disabled.  You might also try pausing MercuryD before doing the disabling so you are sure that MercuryD is not active when you are doing the configuration change.  Now if the mail is downloaded by MercuryD there should be a *.MD log file of the download.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p>

Thanks, Thomas.

No proxy is used.

I've turned on session logging, so I will post back in a couple of days with the results.

<P>Thanks, Thomas.</P> <P>No proxy is used.</P> <P>I've turned on session logging, so I will post back in a couple of days with the results.</P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft