Community Discussions and Support
Mercury/32 vs Linux/WINE

[quote user="jonb"]

Hi

I'd really want to run Mercury from Linux.

I installed Wine and Mercury, it runs but how do I configure the ports ?

When I switch between work desks, the Mercury GUI stops working, did you get that problem, probably a Wine configuration problem ?

I'm running Wine 0.9.46 on Ubuntu Linux 7.10.

Windows has failed me to often and it is to time consuming to fix it each time, the only thing I'd like to hold on to from Windows is Mercury. Any help would be much appreciated

Regards 

Jon

[/quote]

I gave up on trying to run using ports 25, 110, 143 as any user other then root because you cannot use these low ports as anything but root. My Linux system is only used as a server so I'm not switching users at all. 

There is probably some way to configure Linux to allow any user to bind these low ports but I sure am no Linux or Ubuntu expert and most of the info I find is either bad advice or incomprehensible.  I've not gotten anything at all that makes sense from the people at Wine either.

[quote user="jonb"]<p>Hi</p><p>I'd really want to run Mercury from Linux.</p><p>I installed Wine and Mercury, it runs but how do I configure the ports ?</p><p>When I switch between work desks, the Mercury GUI stops working, did you get that problem, probably a Wine configuration problem ?</p><p>I'm running Wine 0.9.46 on Ubuntu Linux 7.10. </p><p>Windows has failed me to often and it is to time consuming to fix it each time, the only thing I'd like to hold on to from Windows is Mercury. Any help would be much appreciated</p><p>Regards </p><p>Jon </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> I gave up on trying to run using ports 25, 110, 143 as any user other then root because you cannot use these low ports as anything but root. My Linux system is only used as a server so I'm not switching users at all.  </p><p>There is probably some way to configure Linux to allow any user to bind these low ports but I sure am no Linux or Ubuntu expert and most of the info I find is either bad advice or incomprehensible.  I've not gotten anything at all that makes sense from the people at Wine either.  </p><p>   </p>

Hi,

Pmail 4.41 can work perfectly under wine on a Linux system, except that under recent versions of wine, a call to close the editor, (e.g., when you write an email, and then click "send"), causes wine to do an normal shutdown of Pmail, i.e., it doesn't leave the mailbox lock file. This is a bug in wine, which doesn't exist in older versions of wine. In wine teminology this is called a "regression", an update to wine causes some Windows program to not work as well as it did under the previous wine. Wine is interpreting the call to close the editor as a call to close Pmail itself.

I've experimented with older versions of wine, and have made Pmail work perfectly, unfortunately, I didn't keep notes, and have a problem: I don't recall which Windows dll's Pmail needs. If I knew that then, I can  copy them into the wine fake c:\windows\system dir and all will be well. Older versions of wine have limited dlls, hence the need to use native Windows versions. If anyone knows which dll's I should be looking at, I'd be grateful for a reply. The issue is that w/o the required dll's, the Tools->Internet options selection is dimmed out, a major problem, as smtp and pop3 server settings cannot be made.

I know that the regression occurs as early as wine 0.9.20  but later than wine 20050825, (or thereabouts, I forget the exact). An anon. post on the wine appdb site for Pmail suggests that the regression occurs >= 0.9.14. If anyone can narrow that gap, I'd also appreciate a reply.

Also, I applied to winehq.org to be the super maintainer of Pmail on wine. Since there are no maintainers whatsoever for Pmail, I hope I will be accepted. That would allow me to contact the wine devel staff about the regression problem. Regression is a major issue for wine, but they need input when it happens, and they depend on maintainers to give them that info.

Regards,

jbarntt 

<p>Hi,</p><p>Pmail 4.41 can work perfectly under wine on a Linux system, except that under recent versions of wine, a call to close the editor, (e.g., when you write an email, and then click "send"), causes wine to do an normal shutdown of Pmail, i.e., it doesn't leave the mailbox lock file. This is a bug in wine, which doesn't exist in older versions of wine. In wine teminology this is called a "regression", an update to wine causes some Windows program to not work as well as it did under the previous wine. Wine is interpreting the call to close the editor as a call to close Pmail itself. </p><p>I've experimented with older versions of wine, and have made Pmail work perfectly, unfortunately, I didn't keep notes, and have a problem: I don't recall which Windows dll's Pmail needs. If I knew that then, I can  copy them into the wine fake c:\windows\system dir and all will be well. Older versions of wine have limited dlls, hence the need to use native Windows versions. If anyone knows which dll's I should be looking at, I'd be grateful for a reply. The issue is that w/o the required dll's, the Tools->Internet options selection is dimmed out, a major problem, as smtp and pop3 server settings cannot be made.</p><p>I know that the regression occurs as early as wine 0.9.20  but later than wine 20050825, (or thereabouts, I forget the exact). An anon. post on the wine appdb site for Pmail suggests that the regression occurs >= 0.9.14. If anyone can narrow that gap, I'd also appreciate a reply.</p><p>Also, I applied to winehq.org to be the super maintainer of Pmail on wine. Since there are no maintainers whatsoever for Pmail, I hope I will be accepted. That would allow me to contact the wine devel staff about the regression problem. Regression is a major issue for wine, but they need input when it happens, and they depend on maintainers to give them that info. </p><p>Regards,</p><p>jbarntt </p><p> </p>

[quote user="jbarntt"]

Hi,

Pmail 4.41 can work perfectly under wine on a Linux system, except that under recent versions of wine, a call to close the editor, (e.g., when you write an email, and then click "send"), causes wine to do an normal shutdown of Pmail, i.e., it doesn't leave the mailbox lock file. This is a bug in wine, which doesn't exist in older versions of wine. In wine teminology this is called a "regression", an update to wine causes some Windows program to not work as well as it did under the previous wine. Wine is interpreting the call to close the editor as a call to close Pmail itself.

I've experimented with older versions of wine, and have made Pmail work perfectly, unfortunately, I didn't keep notes, and have a problem: I don't recall which Windows dll's Pmail needs. If I knew that then, I can  copy them into the wine fake c:\windows\system dir and all will be well. Older versions of wine have limited dlls, hence the need to use native Windows versions. If anyone knows which dll's I should be looking at, I'd be grateful for a reply. The issue is that w/o the required dll's, the Tools->Internet options selection is dimmed out, a major problem, as smtp and pop3 server settings cannot be made.

Don't know about the specific dlls but if you use the -z 128 to tell WinPMail to load the winsock (wsock32.dll) without looking for it, i.e. blind load, then you'll get the TCP/IP setup stuff.  It still crashes (or simply goes away) sometime when sending the mail.

I know that the regression occurs as early as wine 0.9.20  but later than wine 20050825, (or thereabouts, I forget the exact). An anon. post on the wine appdb site for Pmail suggests that the regression occurs >= 0.9.14. If anyone can narrow that gap, I'd also appreciate a reply.

Also, I applied to winehq.org to be the super maintainer of Pmail on wine. Since there are no maintainers whatsoever for Pmail, I hope I will be accepted. That would allow me to contact the wine devel staff about the regression problem. Regression is a major issue for wine, but they need input when it happens, and they depend on maintainers to give them that info.

I never thought i knew enough about any version of Linux to be considered a maintainer.  I do have WinPMail (and Mercury/32) working pretty well under Wine 0.9.43 and Ubuntu v7.10.

Regards,

jbarntt 

[/quote]
[quote user="jbarntt"]<p>Hi,</p><p>Pmail 4.41 can work perfectly under wine on a Linux system, except that under recent versions of wine, a call to close the editor, (e.g., when you write an email, and then click "send"), causes wine to do an normal shutdown of Pmail, i.e., it doesn't leave the mailbox lock file. This is a bug in wine, which doesn't exist in older versions of wine. In wine teminology this is called a "regression", an update to wine causes some Windows program to not work as well as it did under the previous wine. Wine is interpreting the call to close the editor as a call to close Pmail itself. </p><p>I've experimented with older versions of wine, and have made Pmail work perfectly, unfortunately, I didn't keep notes, and have a problem: I don't recall which Windows dll's Pmail needs. If I knew that then, I can  copy them into the wine fake c:\windows\system dir and all will be well. Older versions of wine have limited dlls, hence the need to use native Windows versions. If anyone knows which dll's I should be looking at, I'd be grateful for a reply. The issue is that w/o the required dll's, the Tools->Internet options selection is dimmed out, a major problem, as smtp and pop3 server settings cannot be made.</p><p><b>Don't know about the specific dlls but if you use the -z 128 to tell WinPMail to load the winsock (wsock32.dll) without looking for it, i.e. blind load, then you'll get the TCP/IP setup stuff.  It still crashes (or simply goes away) sometime when sending the mail.</b>  </p><p>I know that the regression occurs as early as wine 0.9.20  but later than wine 20050825, (or thereabouts, I forget the exact). An anon. post on the wine appdb site for Pmail suggests that the regression occurs >= 0.9.14. If anyone can narrow that gap, I'd also appreciate a reply.</p><p>Also, I applied to winehq.org to be the super maintainer of Pmail on wine. Since there are no maintainers whatsoever for Pmail, I hope I will be accepted. That would allow me to contact the wine devel staff about the regression problem. Regression is a major issue for wine, but they need input when it happens, and they depend on maintainers to give them that info.</p><p> </p><p><b>I never thought i knew enough about any version of Linux to be considered a maintainer.  I do have WinPMail (and Mercury/32) working pretty well under Wine 0.9.43 and Ubuntu v7.10.</b></p><p> </p><p>Regards,</p><p>jbarntt </p><p> </p>[/quote]

Just installed Xubuntu 7.10 and the latest version of WINE (v0.9.4.6), and Pegasus Mail 4.41. I can receive mail without problems as long as I read it in the preview window.  I can also send mail one message at a time, but I have to restart the program after every window-close event.

Even with -z 128 in the command-line (command line is [env WINEPREFIX="/home/angussf/.wine" wine "C:\Programs\PMail\Programs\WINPM-32.EXE" -roam -A -z 128] without the [brackets]), any action by Pegasus Mail which closes a window closes the entire program.  For example, start a new message and then cancel it.  It does NOT appear to be a normal shutdown as it does not save window alignments, which a normal shutdown would do.

Ideas welcome 

<p>Just installed Xubuntu 7.10 and the latest version of WINE (v0.9.4.6), and Pegasus Mail 4.41. I can receive mail without problems as long as I read it in the preview window.  I can also send mail one message at a time, but I have to restart the program after every window-close event. </p><p>Even with -z 128 in the command-line (command line is [env WINEPREFIX="/home/angussf/.wine" wine "C:\Programs\PMail\Programs\WINPM-32.EXE" -roam -A -z 128] without the [brackets]), any action by Pegasus Mail which closes a window closes the entire program.  For example, start a new message and then cancel it.  It does NOT appear to be a normal shutdown as it does not save window alignments, which a normal shutdown would do.</p><p> </p><p>Ideas welcome </p>

[quote user="Angus Scott-Fleming"]

Just installed Xubuntu 7.10 and the latest version of WINE (v0.9.4.6), and Pegasus Mail 4.41. I can receive mail without problems as long as I read it in the preview window.  I can also send mail one message at a time, but I have to restart the program after every window-close event.

Even with -z 128 in the command-line (command line is [env WINEPREFIX="/home/angussf/.wine" wine "C:\Programs\PMail\Programs\WINPM-32.EXE" -roam -A -z 128] without the [brackets]), any action by Pegasus Mail which closes a window closes the entire program.  For example, start a new message and then cancel it.  It does NOT appear to be a normal shutdown as it does not save window alignments, which a normal shutdown would do.

Ideas welcome 

[/quote]

I've not got many ideas since I see generally the same thing.  I could reply and close with the last version of Wine but with the latest version it closes with almost all window closing.  The sending though does work with Mercury/32 queue.  This is a flaw in Wine and it's been there in various degrees over the last few versions.   I tried to do some regression testing but I was not successful. BTW, I do not require the use of the -z 128 for some reason.  For some reason I have v0.9.49 as the latest version as well.

[quote user="Angus Scott-Fleming"]<p>Just installed Xubuntu 7.10 and the latest version of WINE (v0.9.4.6), and Pegasus Mail 4.41. I can receive mail without problems as long as I read it in the preview window.  I can also send mail one message at a time, but I have to restart the program after every window-close event. </p><p>Even with -z 128 in the command-line (command line is [env WINEPREFIX="/home/angussf/.wine" wine "C:\Programs\PMail\Programs\WINPM-32.EXE" -roam -A -z 128] without the [brackets]), any action by Pegasus Mail which closes a window closes the entire program.  For example, start a new message and then cancel it.  It does NOT appear to be a normal shutdown as it does not save window alignments, which a normal shutdown would do.</p><p> </p><p>Ideas welcome </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>I've not got many ideas since I see generally the same thing.  I could reply and close with the last version of Wine but with the latest version it closes with almost all window closing.  The sending though does work with Mercury/32 queue.  This is a flaw in Wine and it's been there in various degrees over the last few versions.   I tried to do some regression testing but I was not successful. BTW, I do not require the use of the -z 128 for some reason.  For some reason I have v0.9.49 as the latest version as well. </p><p> </p><p>   </p>

Allow me to butt in, if I may. I'm running Mercury/32 via WINE (the latest) on Ubuntu 7.10.

I have not needed the switch, though I'm using it now to see if it does resolve the problems I'm having. (I do get an error about a missing assembly for Windows.Common-Controls which is somewhat worrisome, and a MIDI error, which is not worrisome.)

I do have two problems that I didn't have (as bad, at least) under Windows. Every now and then, I get a blank message. I've gathered that sometimes this is due to leftover files in the queue, but it's stepped up a lot under Linux/WINE, and I think I found one case that mapped one of these empty messages to an actual 1K message that showed up blank.

Worse, under Linux, I've found that some outgoing messages are being received as blanks. That's serious. There's a person I can't mail at CS.com because all messages (and attachments) to her come out blank. And I've noticed some of my mailing list messages not showing up either.

Forgive if this is not the right place to ask, it's just the first place I've found someone live using the Ubuntu 7.10/Mercury/WINE combo.
<p>Allow me to butt in, if I may. I'm running Mercury/32 via WINE (the latest) on Ubuntu 7.10.</p><p>I have not needed the switch, though I'm using it now to see if it does resolve the problems I'm having. (I do get an error about a missing assembly for Windows.Common-Controls which is somewhat worrisome, and a MIDI error, which is not worrisome.)</p><p>I do have two problems that I didn't have (as bad, at least) under Windows. Every now and then, I get a blank message. I've gathered that sometimes this is due to leftover files in the queue, but it's stepped up a lot under Linux/WINE, and I think I found one case that mapped one of these empty messages to an actual 1K message that showed up blank.</p><p>Worse, under Linux, I've found that some outgoing messages are being received as blanks. That's serious. There's a person I can't mail at CS.com because all messages (and attachments) to her come out blank. And I've noticed some of my mailing list messages not showing up either.</p>Forgive if this is not the right place to ask, it's just the first place I've found someone live using the Ubuntu 7.10/Mercury/WINE combo.

Actually, scratch that bit about the empty incoming message that was 1K, it shows up as 1K in my mailbox and it's all header and HTML crap.

Running Opera and SquirrelMail clients. 

<p>Actually, scratch that bit about the empty incoming message that was 1K, it shows up as 1K in my mailbox and it's all header and HTML crap.</p><p> </p><p>Running Opera and SquirrelMail clients. </p>

> Allow me to butt in, if I may. I'm running Mercury/32 via WINE (the
> latest) on Ubuntu 7.10.
>
> I have not needed the switch, though I'm using it now to see if it
> does resolve the problems I'm having. (I do get an error about a
> missing assembly for Windows.Common-Controls which is somewhat
> worrisome, and a MIDI error, which is not worrisome.)

I get neither of these.  I'm running on n7.10 as well with Wine v0.9.49 (IIRC).  If was the latest vercion when I left home on 23 Nov.

>
> I do have two problems that I didn't have (as bad, at least) under
> Windows. Every now and then, I get a blank message. I've gathered that
> sometimes this is due to leftover files in the queue, but it's stepped
> up a lot under Linux/WINE, and I think I found one case that mapped
> one of these empty messages to an actual 1K message that showed up
> blank.

Not seen any blank messages at all.  How are you receiving your mail?  Most of mine in coming in via MercuryD downloaded from a Mercury/32 system running on WinXP.

>
> Worse, under Linux, I've found that some outgoing messages are being
> received as blanks. That's serious. There's a person I can't mail at
> CS.com because all messages (and attachments) to her come out blank.
> And I've noticed some of my mailing list messages not showing up
> either.
>
> Forgive if this is not the right place to ask, it's just the first
> place I've found someone live using the Ubuntu 7.10/Mercury/WINE
> combo.

Hard for me right now to work this community but you might try the Mercury mailing list as well. You can come direct to t\support@tstephenson.com as well if you want to discuss this offline.

<p>> Allow me to butt in, if I may. I'm running Mercury/32 via WINE (the > latest) on Ubuntu 7.10. > > I have not needed the switch, though I'm using it now to see if it > does resolve the problems I'm having. (I do get an error about a > missing assembly for Windows.Common-Controls which is somewhat > worrisome, and a MIDI error, which is not worrisome.) I get neither of these.  I'm running on n7.10 as well with Wine v0.9.49 (IIRC).  If was the latest vercion when I left home on 23 Nov.   > > I do have two problems that I didn't have (as bad, at least) under > Windows. Every now and then, I get a blank message. I've gathered that > sometimes this is due to leftover files in the queue, but it's stepped > up a lot under Linux/WINE, and I think I found one case that mapped > one of these empty messages to an actual 1K message that showed up > blank. Not seen any blank messages at all.  How are you receiving your mail?  Most of mine in coming in via MercuryD downloaded from a Mercury/32 system running on WinXP. > > Worse, under Linux, I've found that some outgoing messages are being > received as blanks. That's serious. There's a person I can't mail at > CS.com because all messages (and attachments) to her come out blank. > And I've noticed some of my mailing list messages not showing up > either. > > Forgive if this is not the right place to ask, it's just the first > place I've found someone live using the Ubuntu 7.10/Mercury/WINE > combo. </p><p> Hard for me right now to work this community but you might try the Mercury mailing list as well. You can come direct to t\support@tstephenson.com as well if you want to discuss this offline. </p>

Hi

I'd really want to run Mercury from Linux.

I installed Wine and Mercury, it runs but how do I configure the ports ?

When I swich between workdesks, the Mercury GUI stops working, did you get that problem, probably a Wine configureation problem ?

I'm running Wine 0.9.46 on Ubuntu Linux 7.10.

Windows has failed me to often and it is to time consuming to fix it each time, the only thing I'd like to hold on to from Windows is Mercury. Any help would be much appreciated

Regards 

Jon

<p>Hi</p><p>I'd really want to run Mercury from Linux.</p><p>I installed Wine and Mercury, it runs but how do I configure the ports ?</p><p>When I swich between workdesks, the Mercury GUI stops working, did you get that problem, probably a Wine configureation problem ?</p><p>I'm running Wine 0.9.46 on Ubuntu Linux 7.10. </p><p>Windows has failed me to often and it is to time consuming to fix it each time, the only thing I'd like to hold on to from Windows is Mercury. Any help would be much appreciated</p><p>Regards </p><p>Jon  </p><table height="27" width="3"><tbody><tr> <td> </td></tr></tbody></table><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft