Community Discussions and Support
Problem with change the timezone.

[quote user="Heini_net"]

i let all my Mails on my MercuryMail-Server. but after it has changed the timezone to Winter-Time so my E-MailClient download all e-Mails again. whats wrong ?

[/quote]

It's only quite recently that I've been able to work out exactly why this was happening. It turns out the problem is a clear bug in Windows - see this link for more: http://www.codeproject.com/datetime/dstbugs.asp. It turns out that Windows incorrectly applies timezone variations even to files that were not modified when that timezone variation applied! In other words, a file modified at 9am before daylight savings time will appear to have been modified at 10am after daylight savings comes in, even though that's obviously nonsensical.

I'm trying to find a solution for this, but it is likely that the solution will cause some initial pain - i.e, the first time you switch to the new method, you'll probably get all your mail offered to you again, but it will be the last time it will happen. The solution will be available in v4.53, which will be out before the end of the year.

Cheers!

-- David --

[quote user="Heini_net"]<p>i let all my Mails on my MercuryMail-Server. but after it has changed the timezone to Winter-Time so my E-MailClient download all e-Mails again. whats wrong ? </p>[/quote] It's only quite recently that I've been able to work out exactly why this was happening. It turns out the problem is a clear bug in Windows - see this link for more: <a href="http://www.codeproject.com/datetime/dstbugs.asp" title="Windows DST Bugs" target="_blank" mce_href="http://www.codeproject.com/datetime/dstbugs.asp">http://www.codeproject.com/datetime/dstbugs.asp</a>. It turns out that Windows incorrectly applies timezone variations even to files that were not modified when that timezone variation applied! In other words, a file modified at 9am before daylight savings time will appear to have been modified at 10am after daylight savings comes in, even though that's obviously nonsensical. I'm trying to find a solution for this, but it is likely that the solution will cause some initial pain - i.e, the first time you switch to the new method, you'll probably get all your mail offered to you again, but it will be the last time it will happen. The solution will be available in v4.53, which will be out before the end of the year. Cheers! -- David --

Hi,

i let all my Mails on my MercuryMail-Server. but after it has changed the timezone to Winter-Time so my E-MailClient download all e-Mails again. whats wrong ?

<P>Hi,</P> <P>i let all my Mails on my MercuryMail-Server. but after it has changed the timezone to Winter-Time so my E-MailClient download all e-Mails again. whats wrong ? </P>

This is a known POP3 problem in all current Mercury Implementations.

The message UID (unique identifier) is computed based on current time, when the time offset changes, each message that is already marked read (filenames with !xxx.cnm) computes a new UID which the email client does not recognize. This causes all emails to be downloaded again, thus creating duplicates with problems like filling mail-boxes that has quotas etc, besides the fact that when a user deletes the duplicate, also the original email is deleted from the server, rendering f.ex. a system that relies on both imap and pop3, with out-of-synch folders.

Fixing this is not as easy as it seems, but hopefully, as frustrating a monday after a DST-change is, one day soon before going to summer-time again.

<P>This is a known POP3 problem in all current Mercury Implementations.</P> <P>The message UID (unique identifier) is computed based on current time, when the time offset changes, each message that is already marked read (filenames with !xxx.cnm) computes a new UID which the email client does not recognize. This causes all emails to be downloaded again, thus creating duplicates with problems like filling mail-boxes that has quotas etc, besides the fact that when a user deletes the duplicate, also the original email is deleted from the server, rendering f.ex. a system that relies on both imap and pop3, with out-of-synch folders.</P> <P> Fixing this is not as easy as it seems, but hopefully, as frustrating a monday after a DST-change is, one day soon before going to summer-time again.</P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft