Community Discussions and Support
Problem with sending when email adress has no <> !!

At the SMTP level, Mercury is very strict on proper addressing standards being used. This dates from the days of "services" like ORBS, that would try to trick a mail program into relaying mail, often using tests that involved addresses in illegal formats.

In a plain mail message, having an address without "<>" is generally OK, but in the SMTP transaction state, it's quite illegal, and it's my guess that this is where the problem is occurring in your case. Your best bet is to get the application generating the faulty addressing corrected.

Cheers!

-- David --

At the SMTP level, Mercury is very strict on proper addressing standards being used. This dates from the days of &quot;services&quot; like ORBS, that would try to trick a mail program into relaying mail, often using tests that involved addresses in illegal formats. In a plain mail message, having an address without &quot;&amp;lt;&amp;gt;&quot; is generally OK, but in the SMTP transaction state, it&#039;s quite illegal, and it&#039;s my guess that this is where the problem is occurring in your case. Your best bet is to get the application generating the faulty addressing corrected. Cheers! -- David --

I've noticed an issue when one of our clients sends an email and the to address has no <xxx@xxx.xxx> included

eg: support@domain.com   instead of   <support@domain.com>

The first fails, the second works.

Why ?

Thanks

&lt;p&gt;I&#039;ve noticed an issue when one of our clients sends an email and the to address has no &amp;lt;xxx@xxx.xxx&amp;gt; included&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;eg: support@domain.com&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; instead of&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;lt;support@domain.com&amp;gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The first fails, the second works.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Why ?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thanks &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Thanks Peter

Just checked the RFC Specs.. Looks like a faulty application.

I'll let the developers know. 

&lt;p&gt;Thanks Peter&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Just checked the RFC Specs.. Looks like a faulty application.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I&#039;ll let the developers know.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

We would need to know more about their email environment.  Certainly, sending an email to support@domain.com works perfectly for us; Pegasus Mail and Mercury both know how to handle this directly.  Any diagnostics files would be helpful, such as Mercury or Pegasus Mail TCPIP transaction logs.

We would need to know more about their email environment.&amp;nbsp; Certainly, sending an email to &lt;A href=&quot;mailto:support@domain.com&quot;&gt;support@domain.com&lt;/A&gt; works perfectly for us; Pegasus Mail and Mercury both know how to handle this directly.&amp;nbsp; Any diagnostics files would be helpful, such as Mercury or Pegasus Mail TCPIP transaction logs.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft