Pegasus Mail Suggestions
Suggestion - Identity/Folder defaults

Hello!

Well, just one solution is not enough...we are talking about Pegasus Mail here, so there are several features you may want to benefit from. [;)]

(a) IMAP:
Perhaps, IMAP4 helps you. When using IMAP, you do not download new messages onto your computer, but you leave them on the respective IMAP-server - the point is that you can access that IMAP-server from any computer in the world, and that you can create folders, copy / move / delete messages, reply to them etc. as if they were on your local PC. You would not have to download the messages, but you would simply open an IMAP-account for each of your e-mail servers - provided the respective ISPs do offer IMAP-accounts (some do not).
Perhaps, you would also have to be online more often or longer than now: all changes you want to do to your email has to be told to the respective IMAP-server (if you pay a flatrate, then this is not a real problem, but it is if you pay by minute).
The main reasin for IMAP is being able to access your IMAP-accounts (with all messages and folders) from all over the world, from any PC. Since every IMAP-account has its own inbox (and other folders of its own), that may help you keep the messages separated.

(b) Local filters:
If you prefer to download any incoming messages to your computer (and to receive them in a single Pegasus Mail user), you may have Pegasus Mail filter them into several local folders, with each message filtered depending on the recipient's address. You would have to create some New Mail filtering rules defining what message to move to what folder.

An example: Let us say you have two e-mail accounts address_1@invalid.com and address_2@invalid.com. If a message sent to address_@invalid.com is sent to you, you want that message to be moved to folder ONE automatically; similar, a message for address_2@invalid.com should automatically be moved to folder TWO. The New Mail filtering rule set would check to which address the messages havebeen sent to, and depending on the recipient's address, the filtering rules would choose in which folder the messages would be moved.
When creating such a filtering rule, you may use a "regular expression"-rule that searches for a string in the headers like "X-Originally-sent.to: address_1@invalid.com" or similar (look at the raw view of a message, and you may find such a header entry).

Those New Mail filtering rules would move the messages to the respective folders. Note that the folders can be assigned an identity to -> if you reply to a message in a folder to which you have assigned an identity, that identity will automatically be used for the reply.

I have used (b) for several years now, and I am quite happy about that (but that is simply my personal choice). If you have any questions about that (how to create such a rule, or how to attach anidentity to a folder), just ask.

(c) Selective mail download:
You can use the Selective mail download (which you can start in the "File"-menu). When started, it displays a list with the messages waiting on the POP3-server to be downloaded; then, you can decide what message to download.
A selective download checks only one POP3-server at a time; so this is another way of how to keep the messages separated when downloading. As soon as you have checked one of your POP3-servers with Selective download, you can check another one. However, you have to do so manually - if you want to do so often, an automatic POP3-handling (like POP3-filtering rules or New Mail filtering rules) is recommended.

(d) Several users:
You said you did not want several users because you might find some messages suitable for more than one user / address. If you have some users defined, you can copy and move messages from one user to another one - when using the command "Add mailbox to list", you can have Pegasus Mail list user X's mailbox and user Y's mailbox as well (with all folders and messages), so you can copy or move a message from one user's folders to the other user's folders.

This is just what I think is possible. Some of my suggestions are short (compared to the possibilities Pegasus Mail offers you), so they may not have answered all questions. If you are nots ure about any of my suggestions or if you want to get some more detailed help about any of them, jsut ask.

Hello! Well, just one solution is not enough...we are talking about Pegasus Mail here, so there are several features you may want to benefit from. [;)] (a) IMAP: Perhaps, <A href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAP" mce_href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAP" target="_blank" title="IMAP explained by Wikipedia">IMAP4</A> helps you. When using IMAP, you do not download new messages onto your computer, but you leave them on the respective IMAP-server - the point is that you can access that IMAP-server from any computer in the world, and that you can create folders, copy / move / delete messages, reply to them etc. as if they were on your local PC. You would not have to download the messages, but you would simply open an IMAP-account for each of your e-mail servers - <I>provided</I> the respective ISPs do offer IMAP-accounts (some do not). Perhaps, you would also have to be online more often or longer than now: all changes you want to do to your email has to be told to the respective IMAP-server (if you pay a flatrate, then this is not a real problem, but it is if you pay by minute). The main reasin for IMAP is being able to access your IMAP-accounts (with all messages and folders) from all over the world, from any PC. Since every IMAP-account has its own inbox (and other folders of its own), that may help you keep the messages separated. (b) Local filters: If you prefer to download any incoming messages to your computer (and to receive them in a single Pegasus Mail user), you may have Pegasus Mail filter them into several local folders, with each message filtered depending on the recipient's address. You would have to create some New Mail filtering rules defining what message to move to what folder. An example: Let us say you have two e-mail accounts address_1@invalid.com and address_2@invalid.com. If a message sent to address_@invalid.com is sent to you, you want that message to be moved to folder ONE automatically; similar, a message for address_2@invalid.com should automatically be moved to folder TWO. The New Mail filtering rule set would check to which address the messages havebeen sent to, and depending on the recipient's address, the filtering rules would choose in which folder the messages would be moved. When creating such a filtering rule, you may use a "regular expression"-rule that searches for a string in the headers like "X-Originally-sent.to: address_1@invalid.com" or similar (look at the raw view of a message, and you may find such a header entry). Those New Mail filtering rules would move the messages to the respective folders. Note that the folders can be assigned an identity to -> if you reply to a message in a folder to which you have assigned an identity, that identity will automatically be used for the reply. I have used (b) for several years now, and I am quite happy about that (but that is simply my personal choice). If you have any questions about that (how to create such a rule, or how to attach anidentity to a folder), just ask. (c) Selective mail download: You can use the Selective mail download (which you can start in the "File"-menu). When started, it displays a list with the messages waiting on the POP3-server to be downloaded; then, you can decide what message to download. A selective download checks only one POP3-server at a time; so this is another way of how to keep the messages separated when downloading. As soon as you have checked one of your POP3-servers with Selective download, you can check another one. However, you have to do so manually - if you want to do so often, an automatic POP3-handling (like POP3-filtering rules or New Mail filtering rules) is recommended. (d) Several users: You said you did not want several users because you might find some messages suitable for more than one user / address. If you have some users defined, you can copy and move messages from one user to another one - when using the command "Add mailbox to list", you can have Pegasus Mail list user X's mailbox <I>and</I> user Y's mailbox as well (with all folders and messages), so you can copy or move a message from one user's folders to the other user's folders. This is just what I think is possible. Some of my suggestions are short (compared to the possibilities Pegasus Mail offers you), so they may not have answered all questions. If you are nots ure about any of my suggestions or if you want to get some more detailed help about any of them, jsut ask.

Forgive me if this is an existing feature I haven't found yet.. and I'm still using 4.12 (in the "if it works for you, don't upgrade" category <g>) 

I have multiple identities in Pegasus for multiple email servers (real and virtual) and would be ecstatic if there was an ability to download new messages to an "in-box" folder specific to each identity, rather than all going to the default "new mail" folder.

I know I could set up individual user mail "accounts" but oft times there's cross-over activities between identities that "switching users" would inhibit.

-Steeley

&lt;P&gt;Forgive me if this is an existing&amp;nbsp;feature I haven&#039;t found yet.. and I&#039;m still using 4.12 (in the &quot;if it works for you, don&#039;t&amp;nbsp;upgrade&quot; category &amp;lt;g&amp;gt;)&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;I have multiple identities in Pegasus for multiple email servers (real and virtual) and would be ecstatic if there was an ability to download new messages to an &quot;in-box&quot;&amp;nbsp;folder specific to each identity, rather than all going to the default &quot;new mail&quot; folder.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;I know I could set up individual user mail &quot;accounts&quot; but oft times there&#039;s cross-over activities between identities that &quot;switching users&quot;&amp;nbsp;would inhibit.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;-Steeley&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft