Community Discussions and Support
Can't attach file to message

> > My only guess is that this use has something running on this system once in awhile
> > that causes the problem.  This assumes that WinPMail is just going away and not
> > actually crashing with the standard Windows error messages.  If he's getting this
> > only sometimes, this also may be caused by really long filenames and directory
> > paths.
>
> This is correct. Peg just "poof" disappears. The file he
> tries to attach is always the same one. He edits the file
> each morning then sends it to several people. Always the same
> file always in the same place. I can try excluding that
> folder from the Symantec Antivirus program  

The "Poof" says something else is failing any the OS is closing WinPMail since it was talking to that something else at the time.   I'm not at all sure this is an anti-virus issue but I guess it could be.

>
> > He's going to lose a folder sometime, all it takes is having one system open filtering
> > mail into a folder while the other is deleting mail from the same folder.  This is
> > especially true if the deletion triggers a file compression.  The index is going to
> > take a hit for sure but it's also possible that the PMM file becomes unreadable. 
>
> He's been warned and he knows the risks . That's all I can do. The rest is up to him.

You want to know who'll take the blame when he loses that 1.5 GBytes of data.  ;-(

>
> > Are you also running Mercury/32?  Is it possible for this guy to use IMAP4 instead of > > direct access?
>
> We're not running Mercury here. Just Pegasus on a Windows
> 2003 Server and a POP3/SMTP server on a separate box.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken

<p>> > My only guess is that this use has something running on this system once in awhile > > that causes the problem.  This assumes that WinPMail is just going away and not > > actually crashing with the standard Windows error messages.  If he's getting this > > only sometimes, this also may be caused by really long filenames and directory > > paths. > > This is correct. Peg just "poof" disappears. The file he > tries to attach is always the same one. He edits the file > each morning then sends it to several people. Always the same > file always in the same place. I can try excluding that > folder from the Symantec Antivirus program   The "Poof" says something else is failing any the OS is closing WinPMail since it was talking to that something else at the time.   I'm not at all sure this is an anti-virus issue but I guess it could be. > > > He's going to lose a folder sometime, all it takes is having one system open filtering > > mail into a folder while the other is deleting mail from the same folder.  This is > > especially true if the deletion triggers a file compression.  The index is going to > > take a hit for sure but it's also possible that the PMM file becomes unreadable.  > > He's been warned and he knows the risks . That's all I can do. The rest is up to him. You want to know who'll take the blame when he loses that 1.5 GBytes of data.  ;-( > > > Are you also running Mercury/32?  Is it possible for this guy to use IMAP4 instead of > > direct access? > > We're not running Mercury here. Just Pegasus on a Windows > 2003 Server and a POP3/SMTP server on a separate box. > > Thanks, > > Ken </p>

My Pegasus Mail has been working fine until today. Today when I tried to attach a file to a message a window popped up saying Windows had encountered a problem and Pegasus closed. There was no information about what the problem was. I checked the Administrator Tools and found the following information:

Source: Service Control Manager
Catagory: None
Error: Event ID: 7003

The DHCP Client service depends on the following nonexistent service: SYMTDI

Duh! Yep, that really helps me, a non techie! I tried searchig Google for help and only got confused. Some links seemed to indicate that the message relates to a server set up. Some links say that it is a problem caused by a Norton program. Some links say  SYMTDI.sys is not a Windows file and can be deleted. I really didn't understand any of the information which was quite technical.

I do not have a "server." I am running Windows XP with Service Pack 3 on a Laptop. I do not have any Norton programs. The file I tried to attach was a simple zip archive. Nothing unusual about it. There is no SYMTDI.sys file on my computer (I did a search). I do not have a home network and am not connected to other computers. I DO have VMWare as a guest virtual computer and my computer is the host. That's the closest I come to having a "network." Rebooting did not solve the problem.

I do a lot of assistance for players of the Petz games and must frequently send and/or receive files. I need to get this problem resolved quickly. Please try to help. 

<P>My Pegasus Mail has been working fine until today. Today when I tried to attach a file to a message a window popped up saying Windows had encountered a problem and Pegasus closed. There was no information about what the problem was. I checked the Administrator Tools and found the following information:</P> <P> Source: Service Control Manager Catagory: None Error: Event ID: 7003</P> <P>The DHCP Client service depends on the following nonexistent service: SYMTDI</P> <P> Duh! Yep, that really helps me, a non techie! I tried searchig Google for help and only got confused. Some links seemed to indicate that the message relates to a server set up. Some links say that it is a problem caused by a Norton program. Some links say  SYMTDI.sys is not a Windows file and can be deleted. I really didn't understand any of the information which was quite technical.</P> <P> I do not have a "server." I am running Windows XP with Service Pack 3 on a Laptop. I do not have any Norton programs. The file I tried to attach was a simple zip archive. Nothing unusual about it. There is no SYMTDI.sys file on my computer (I did a search). I do not have a home network and am not connected to other computers. I DO have VMWare as a guest virtual computer and my computer is the host. That's the closest I come to having a "network." Rebooting did not solve the problem.</P> <P>I do a lot of assistance for players of the Petz games and must frequently send and/or receive files. I need to get this problem resolved quickly. Please try to help. </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

[quote user="Minibyte"]

My Pegasus Mail has been working fine until today. Today when I tried to attach a file to a message a window popped up saying Windows had encountered a problem and Pegasus closed. There was no information about what the problem was. I checked the Administrator Tools and found the following information:

Source: Service Control Manager
Catagory: None
Error: Event ID: 7003

The DHCP Client service depends on the following nonexistent service: SYMTDI

Duh! Yep, that really helps me, a non techie! I tried searchig Google for help and only got confused. Some links seemed to indicate that the message relates to a server set up. Some links say that it is a problem caused by a Norton program. Some links say  SYMTDI.sys is not a Windows file and can be deleted. I really didn't understand any of the information which was quite technical.

I do not have a "server." I am running Windows XP with Service Pack 3 on a Laptop. I do not have any Norton programs. The file I tried to attach was a simple zip archive. Nothing unusual about it. There is no SYMTDI.sys file on my computer (I did a search). I do not have a home network and am not connected to other computers. I DO have VMWare as a guest virtual computer and my computer is the host. That's the closest I come to having a "network." Rebooting did not solve the problem.

I do a lot of assistance for players of the Petz games and must frequently send and/or receive files. I need to get this problem resolved quickly. Please try to help. 

[/quote]

This is definitely a Norton file and this failure is related to the DHCP process being dependent on this service.  Here's a link to a method of removing this dependency via a registry edit.

http://www-jerry.oit.duke.edu/pc/xp_dhcp_client_wont_start.html

That said, I'm not at all sure that this will be the only problem if Norton was ever installed on the system and not completely removed.

[quote user="Minibyte"]<p>My Pegasus Mail has been working fine until today. Today when I tried to attach a file to a message a window popped up saying Windows had encountered a problem and Pegasus closed. There was no information about what the problem was. I checked the Administrator Tools and found the following information:</p> <p> Source: Service Control Manager Catagory: None Error: Event ID: 7003</p> <p>The DHCP Client service depends on the following nonexistent service: SYMTDI</p> <p> Duh! Yep, that really helps me, a non techie! I tried searchig Google for help and only got confused. Some links seemed to indicate that the message relates to a server set up. Some links say that it is a problem caused by a Norton program. Some links say  SYMTDI.sys is not a Windows file and can be deleted. I really didn't understand any of the information which was quite technical.</p> <p> I do not have a "server." I am running Windows XP with Service Pack 3 on a Laptop. I do not have any Norton programs. The file I tried to attach was a simple zip archive. Nothing unusual about it. There is no SYMTDI.sys file on my computer (I did a search). I do not have a home network and am not connected to other computers. I DO have VMWare as a guest virtual computer and my computer is the host. That's the closest I come to having a "network." Rebooting did not solve the problem.</p> <p>I do a lot of assistance for players of the Petz games and must frequently send and/or receive files. I need to get this problem resolved quickly. Please try to help. </p> <p mce_keep="true"> </p> <p mce_keep="true"> [/quote]</p><p mce_keep="true"> </p><p mce_keep="true">This is definitely a Norton file and this failure is related to the DHCP process being dependent on this service.  Here's a link to a method of removing this dependency via a registry edit.</p><p mce_keep="true">http://www-jerry.oit.duke.edu/pc/xp_dhcp_client_wont_start.html</p><p mce_keep="true">That said, I'm not at all sure that this will be the only problem if Norton was ever installed on the system and not completely removed.</p><p mce_keep="true"> </p>

I am thoroughly puzzled. Windows XP was preinstalled on my laptop when I purchased it. I never installed Norton Antivirus or any other Norton product. However, for the heck of it, I checked the Register per your reference and I _DID_ find the references To SYMTDI. I deleted them and rebooted. The result? Pegasus Pmail for Windows still crashes when I try to attach a file. Checking Admin Tools, I no longer see the SYMTDI error information. Instead, I find an Application Error:

Source: Application Error
Category: None
Even ID:1000

Faulting application winpm-32.exe, version 4.4.1.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x7a2e3450.

Thunk! <Head hits keyboard>

What do I do now? Ad Aware, Spy Bot and Avast Antivirus do not report any problems.

&lt;P&gt;I am thoroughly puzzled. Windows XP was preinstalled on my laptop when I purchased it. I never installed Norton Antivirus or any other Norton product. However, for the heck of it, I checked the Register per your reference and I _DID_ find the references To SYMTDI. I deleted them and rebooted. The result? Pegasus Pmail for Windows still crashes when I try to attach a file. Checking Admin Tools, I no longer see the SYMTDI error information. Instead, I find an Application Error:&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;nbsp;Source: Application Error Category: None Even ID:1000&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Faulting application winpm-32.exe, version 4.4.1.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x7a2e3450.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;nbsp;Thunk! &amp;lt;Head hits keyboard&amp;gt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;nbsp;What do I do now? Ad Aware, Spy Bot and Avast Antivirus do not report any problems.&lt;/P&gt;

[quote user="Minibyte"]

I am thoroughly puzzled. Windows XP was preinstalled on my laptop when I purchased it. I never installed Norton Antivirus or any other Norton product. However, for the heck of it, I checked the Register per your reference and I _DID_ find the references To SYMTDI. I deleted them and rebooted. The result? Pegasus Pmail for Windows still crashes when I try to attach a file. Checking Admin Tools, I no longer see the SYMTDI error information. Instead, I find an Application Error:

Source: Application Error
Category: None
Even ID:1000

Faulting application winpm-32.exe, version 4.4.1.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x7a2e3450.

Thunk! <Head hits keyboard>

What do I do now? Ad Aware, Spy Bot and Avast Antivirus do not report any problems.

[/quote]

Ok, is it crashing or just going away?  If it's just going away that means that there is some other application failing when WinPMail tries to attach a file (Acrobat reader v7 caused this in the past) and the OS is shutting down WinPMail to restore system stability.  It could be any of the above applications if they are called when files are accessed.  This is especially true when it's a anti-virus autoprotect application.

[quote user=&quot;Minibyte&quot;]&lt;p&gt;I am thoroughly puzzled. Windows XP was preinstalled on my laptop when I purchased it. I never installed Norton Antivirus or any other Norton product. However, for the heck of it, I checked the Register per your reference and I _DID_ find the references To SYMTDI. I deleted them and rebooted. The result? Pegasus Pmail for Windows still crashes when I try to attach a file. Checking Admin Tools, I no longer see the SYMTDI error information. Instead, I find an Application Error:&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;Source: Application Error Category: None Even ID:1000&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;Faulting application winpm-32.exe, version 4.4.1.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x7a2e3450.&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;Thunk! &amp;lt;Head hits keyboard&amp;gt;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;What do I do now? Ad Aware, Spy Bot and Avast Antivirus do not report any problems.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Ok, is it crashing or just going away?&amp;nbsp; If it&#039;s just going away that means that there is some other application failing when WinPMail tries to attach a file (Acrobat reader v7 caused this in the past) and the OS is shutting down WinPMail to restore system stability.&amp;nbsp; It could be any of the above applications if they are called when files are accessed.&amp;nbsp; This is especially true when it&#039;s a anti-virus autoprotect application.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

I'm still struggling with this problem and not getting anywhere. This is what happens.

1. I type a message

2. I click to add an attachment, navigate to the file I want to attach and click on open

3. The file sometimes appears (briefly) in the message attachment window, showing it is attached. And then a window pops up saying that Pegasus has encountered a problem and must close. The Pegasus window simply disappears, leaving me looking at the desktop.

4. When I go to reopen Pegasus, it is locked.

This happens when I have no other programs running. I don't understand what a "process" is or how to track down what is causing Pegasus to close when I try to add an attachment. I am using Earthlink webmail when I need to send an attachment, but it is slow and very annoying. Can you give me some help in tracking down the whatever is causing my attachment problem? There was no information in the Event viewer. I tried running Dr. Watson, but got nothing. I know Task Manager lists all sorts of stuff, but the names are nothing but gibberish to me as I have no idea what they refer to....

&lt;P&gt;I&#039;m still struggling with this problem and not getting anywhere. This is what happens.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;1. I type a message&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;2. I click to add an attachment, navigate to the file I want to attach and click on open&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;3. The file sometimes appears (briefly) in the message attachment window, showing it is attached. And then a window pops up saying&amp;nbsp;that Pegasus has encountered a problem and must close. The Pegasus window simply disappears, leaving me looking at the desktop.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;4. When I go to reopen Pegasus, it is locked.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;This happens when I have no other programs running.&amp;nbsp;I don&#039;t understand what a &quot;process&quot;&amp;nbsp;is or how to track down what is causing&amp;nbsp;Pegasus to close when I try to add an attachment. I&amp;nbsp;am using Earthlink webmail when I need to send an attachment, but it is slow and very annoying.&amp;nbsp;Can you give me some help in tracking&amp;nbsp;down the&amp;nbsp;whatever is causing my attachment problem?&amp;nbsp;There was no information in the Event viewer. I tried running Dr. Watson, but got nothing. I know Task Manager lists all sorts of stuff, but the names are nothing but gibberish to me as I have no idea what they refer to....&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt;

[quote user="Minibyte"]

This happens when I have no other programs running. I don't understand what a "process" is or how to track down what is causing Pegasus to close when I try to add an attachment. I am using Earthlink webmail when I need to send an attachment, but it is slow and very annoying. Can you give me some help in tracking down the whatever is causing my attachment problem? There was no information in the Event viewer. I tried running Dr. Watson, but got nothing. I know Task Manager lists all sorts of stuff, but the names are nothing but gibberish to me as I have no idea what they refer to....

[/quote]

A process in this case is something that is called when you access a file.  These processes are attached to the file access and when you try to attach a file the OS passes you to these processes  based on the rules of the process.  It might be an auto-protect anti-virus process that is called for every file access; it might be a zip process that is called when it's a zip file.  The one that caused the most problem in the past was Adobe reader that was calling a broken function in the MS OS.  We can't tell you which one is causing the problems because it is not one that is part of the OS, it's one you are running on your system.  We're not crashing when attaching files so all we can do is tell you to unload these processes operating in the background until the problem goes away.

[quote user=&quot;Minibyte&quot;]&lt;p&gt;This happens when I have no other programs running.&amp;nbsp;I don&#039;t understand what a &quot;process&quot;&amp;nbsp;is or how to track down what is causing&amp;nbsp;Pegasus to close when I try to add an attachment. I&amp;nbsp;am using Earthlink webmail when I need to send an attachment, but it is slow and very annoying.&amp;nbsp;Can you give me some help in tracking&amp;nbsp;down the&amp;nbsp;whatever is causing my attachment problem?&amp;nbsp;There was no information in the Event viewer. I tried running Dr. Watson, but got nothing. I know Task Manager lists all sorts of stuff, but the names are nothing but gibberish to me as I have no idea what they refer to....&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; [/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;A process in this case is something that is called when you access a file.&amp;nbsp; These processes are attached to the file access and when you try to attach a file the OS passes you to these processes&amp;nbsp; based on the rules of the process.&amp;nbsp; It might be an auto-protect anti-virus process that is called for every file access; it might be a zip process that is called when it&#039;s a zip file.&amp;nbsp; The one that caused the most problem in the past was Adobe reader that was calling a broken function in the MS OS.&amp;nbsp; We can&#039;t tell you which one is causing the problems because it is not one that is part of the OS, it&#039;s one you are running on your system.&amp;nbsp; We&#039;re not crashing when attaching files so all we can do is tell you to unload these processes operating in the background until the problem goes away. &lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]A process in this case is something that is called when you access a file.  These processes are attached to the file access and when you try to attach a file the OS passes you to these processes  based on the rules of the process.  It might be an auto-protect anti-virus process that is called for every file access; it might be a zip process that is called when it's a zip file.  The one that caused the most problem in the past was Adobe reader that was calling a broken function in the MS OS.  We can't tell you which one is causing the problems because it is not one that is part of the OS, it's one you are running on your system.  We're not crashing when attaching files so all we can do is tell you to unload these processes operating in the background until the problem goes away.
[/quote]

I'm sorry. I don't mean to be a pest, but your response doesn't help. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the list in Task Manager is gibberish to me. I don't know what anything in the list is or what program it is from. Second, If I knew what to unload I couldn't do it because I don't have a clue about how to unload a process. I tried looking at Help in Task Manager and except for a summary introduction about what it shows, all the other topics I clicked on display a screen that says the page is unavailable. Are there any sites which would help me identify the processes listed? Are there any sites that explain the Task Manager in simple terms and with instructions on how to use it? 

&lt;P&gt;[quote user=&quot;Thomas R. Stephenson&quot;]A process in this case is something that is called when you access a file.&amp;nbsp; These processes are attached to the file access and when you try to attach a file the OS passes you to these processes&amp;nbsp; based on the rules of the process.&amp;nbsp; It might be an auto-protect anti-virus process that is called for every file access; it might be a zip process that is called when it&#039;s a zip file.&amp;nbsp; The one that caused the most problem in the past was Adobe reader that was calling a broken function in the MS OS.&amp;nbsp; We can&#039;t tell you which one is causing the problems because it is not one that is part of the OS, it&#039;s one you are running on your system.&amp;nbsp; We&#039;re not crashing when attaching files so all we can do is tell you to unload these processes operating in the background until the problem goes away. [/quote]&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;I&#039;m sorry. I don&#039;t&amp;nbsp;mean to be a pest, but&amp;nbsp;your response doesn&#039;t help. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the list in Task Manager is gibberish to me. I don&#039;t&amp;nbsp;know what anything in the list is or what program it is from. Second, If I knew what to unload I couldn&#039;t do it because I don&#039;t have a clue about how to unload a process. I tried looking at Help in Task Manager and except for a summary introduction about what it shows, all the other topics I clicked on display a screen that says the page is unavailable. Are there any sites which would help me identify the processes listed? Are there any sites that explain the Task Manager in simple terms and&amp;nbsp;with instructions on how to use it?&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt;

[quote user="Minibyte"]

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]A process in this case is something that is called when you access a file.  These processes are attached to the file access and when you try to attach a file the OS passes you to these processes  based on the rules of the process.  It might be an auto-protect anti-virus process that is called for every file access; it might be a zip process that is called when it's a zip file.  The one that caused the most problem in the past was Adobe reader that was calling a broken function in the MS OS.  We can't tell you which one is causing the problems because it is not one that is part of the OS, it's one you are running on your system.  We're not crashing when attaching files so all we can do is tell you to unload these processes operating in the background until the problem goes away.
[/quote]

I'm sorry. I don't mean to be a pest, but your response doesn't help. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the list in Task Manager is gibberish to me. I don't know what anything in the list is or what program it is from. Second, If I knew what to unload I couldn't do it because I don't have a clue about how to unload a process. I tried looking at Help in Task Manager and except for a summary introduction about what it shows, all the other topics I clicked on display a screen that says the page is unavailable. Are there any sites which would help me identify the processes listed? Are there any sites that explain the Task Manager in simple terms and with instructions on how to use it? 

[/quote]

No, none and none.  There is nothing out there that's going to make this simple.  If you are running XP you might be able to go back to a version where this does not happen.  This is assuming that there is something that was loaded/updated/modified on your system to cause the problem.

[quote user=&quot;Minibyte&quot;]&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;Thomas R. Stephenson&quot;]A process in this case is something that is called when you access a file.&amp;nbsp; These processes are attached to the file access and when you try to attach a file the OS passes you to these processes&amp;nbsp; based on the rules of the process.&amp;nbsp; It might be an auto-protect anti-virus process that is called for every file access; it might be a zip process that is called when it&#039;s a zip file.&amp;nbsp; The one that caused the most problem in the past was Adobe reader that was calling a broken function in the MS OS.&amp;nbsp; We can&#039;t tell you which one is causing the problems because it is not one that is part of the OS, it&#039;s one you are running on your system.&amp;nbsp; We&#039;re not crashing when attaching files so all we can do is tell you to unload these processes operating in the background until the problem goes away. [/quote]&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;I&#039;m sorry. I don&#039;t&amp;nbsp;mean to be a pest, but&amp;nbsp;your response doesn&#039;t help. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the list in Task Manager is gibberish to me. I don&#039;t&amp;nbsp;know what anything in the list is or what program it is from. Second, If I knew what to unload I couldn&#039;t do it because I don&#039;t have a clue about how to unload a process. I tried looking at Help in Task Manager and except for a summary introduction about what it shows, all the other topics I clicked on display a screen that says the page is unavailable. Are there any sites which would help me identify the processes listed? Are there any sites that explain the Task Manager in simple terms and&amp;nbsp;with instructions on how to use it?&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;No, none and none.&amp;nbsp; There is nothing out there that&#039;s going to make this simple.&amp;nbsp; If you are running XP you might be able to go back to a version where this does not happen.&amp;nbsp; This is assuming that there is something that was loaded/updated/modified on your system to cause the problem.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

I have one user out of a hundred that this is happening to. I had heard that an old version of Adobe Acrobat Reader might be the cause but he already has the latest version. Funny thing is that it doesn't always happen. Sometimes he can attach a file to a message with no problem using the exact same technique that Minibyte described above. Any suggestions?

Oh, he sometimes runs two instances of Pegasus on two separate computers...both accessing the same mailbox. I've warned him about this but he says he absolutely must have that capability. I think he would quit if I ordered him not to do that <g>. I've already showed him how to reindex a corrupt folder when that happens.

Thanks,

Ken Long

Lectrosonics, Inc.

&lt;p&gt;I have one user out of a hundred that this is happening to. I had heard that an old version of Adobe Acrobat Reader might be the cause but he already has the latest version. Funny thing is that it doesn&#039;t always happen. Sometimes he can attach a file to a message with no problem using the exact same technique that Minibyte described above. Any suggestions?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp; Oh, he sometimes runs two instances of Pegasus on two separate computers...both accessing the same mailbox. I&#039;ve warned him about this but he says he absolutely must have that capability. I think he would quit if I ordered him not to do that &amp;lt;g&amp;gt;. I&#039;ve already showed him how to reindex a corrupt folder when that happens. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thanks,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Ken Long&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Lectrosonics, Inc.&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="Kenny"]

I have one user out of a hundred that this is happening to. I had heard that an old version of Adobe Acrobat Reader might be the cause but he already has the latest version. Funny thing is that it doesn't always happen. Sometimes he can attach a file to a message with no problem using the exact same technique that Minibyte described above. Any suggestions?

My only guess is that this use has something running on this system once in awhile that causes the problem.  This assumes that WinPMail is just going away and not actually crashing with the standard Windows error messages.  If he's getting this only sometimes, this also may be caused by really long filenames and directory paths.

Oh, he sometimes runs two instances of Pegasus on two separate computers...both accessing the same mailbox. I've warned him about this but he says he absolutely must have that capability. I think he would quit if I ordered him not to do that <g>. I've already showed him how to reindex a corrupt folder when that happens.

He's going to lose a folder sometime, all it takes is having one system open filtering mail into a folder while the other is deleting mail from the same folder.  This is especially true if the deletion triggers a file compression.  The index is going to take a hit for sure but it's also possible that the PMM file becomes unreadable. 

Are you also running Mercury/32?  Is it possible for this guy to use IMAP4 instead of direct access? 

Thanks,

Ken Long

Lectrosonics, Inc.

[/quote]
[quote user=&quot;Kenny&quot;]&lt;p&gt;I have one user out of a hundred that this is happening to. I had heard that an old version of Adobe Acrobat Reader might be the cause but he already has the latest version. Funny thing is that it doesn&#039;t always happen. Sometimes he can attach a file to a message with no problem using the exact same technique that Minibyte described above. Any suggestions?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;b&gt;My only guess is that this use has something running on this system once in awhile that causes the problem.&amp;nbsp; This assumes that WinPMail is just going away and not actually crashing with the standard Windows error messages.&amp;nbsp; If he&#039;s getting this only sometimes, this also may be caused by really long filenames and directory paths.&lt;/b&gt; Oh, he sometimes runs two instances of Pegasus on two separate computers...both accessing the same mailbox. I&#039;ve warned him about this but he says he absolutely must have that capability. I think he would quit if I ordered him not to do that &amp;lt;g&amp;gt;. I&#039;ve already showed him how to reindex a corrupt folder when that happens.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;b&gt;He&#039;s going to lose a folder sometime, all it takes is having one system open filtering mail into a folder while the other is deleting mail from the same folder.&amp;nbsp; This is especially true if the deletion triggers a file compression.&amp;nbsp; The index is going to take a hit for sure but it&#039;s also possible that the PMM file becomes unreadable.&amp;nbsp; &lt;/b&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;b&gt;&amp;nbsp;Are you also running Mercury/32?&amp;nbsp; Is it possible for this guy to use IMAP4 instead of direct access?&amp;nbsp; &lt;/b&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thanks,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Ken Long&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Lectrosonics, Inc.&lt;/p&gt;[/quote]

> My only guess is that this use has something running on this system

once in awhile

> that causes the problem.  This assumes that WinPMail is

just going away and not

> actually crashing with the standard Windows

error messages.  If he's getting this

> only sometimes, this also may be

caused by really long filenames and directory paths.

This is correct. Peg just "poof" disappears. The file he tries to attach is always the same one. He edits the file each morning then sends it to several people. Always the same file always in the same place. I can try excluding that folder from the Symantec Antivirus program

> He's going to lose a folder sometime, all it takes is having one

system open filtering

> mail into a folder while the other is deleting

mail from the same folder.  This is especially

> true if the deletion

triggers a file compression.  The index is going to take a hit for sure

> but it's also possible that the PMM file becomes unreadable.  

He's been warned and he knows the risks . That's all I can do. The rest is up to him.

> Are you also running Mercury/32?  Is it possible for this guy to use IMAP4 instead of direct access?

We're not running Mercury here. Just Pegasus on a Windows 2003 Server and a POP3/SMTP server on a separate box.

Thanks,

Ken 

&lt;p&gt;&amp;gt; My only guess is that this use has something running on this system once in awhile &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;gt; that causes the problem.&amp;nbsp; This assumes that WinPMail is just going away and not &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;gt; actually crashing with the standard Windows error messages.&amp;nbsp; If he&#039;s getting this &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;gt; only sometimes, this also may be caused by really long filenames and directory paths.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;This is correct. Peg just &quot;poof&quot; disappears. The file he tries to attach is always the same one. He edits the file each morning then sends it to several people. Always the same file always in the same place. I can try excluding that folder from the Symantec Antivirus program &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;gt; He&#039;s going to lose a folder sometime, all it takes is having one system open filtering &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;gt; mail into a folder while the other is deleting mail from the same folder.&amp;nbsp; This is especially &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;gt; true if the deletion triggers a file compression.&amp;nbsp; The index is going to take a hit for sure &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;gt; but it&#039;s also possible that the PMM file becomes unreadable.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;He&#039;s been warned and he knows the risks . That&#039;s all I can do. The rest is up to him.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;gt; Are you also running Mercury/32?&amp;nbsp; Is it possible for this guy to use IMAP4 instead of direct access? &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;We&#039;re not running Mercury here. Just Pegasus on a Windows 2003 Server and a POP3/SMTP server on a separate box.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thanks,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Ken&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft