Community Discussions and Support
Is this a good substitute for Outlook?

> Thomas,
>
> Thanks so much for your feedback.
>
>  Where can I get more educated on how to use translators to convert contact to the address books?

For the address books use Dawn, created by Boris Zakharin

Dawn 5, created by Boris Zakharin

Dawn works with the following programs:

* Becky! -- Known to work with versions 2.00.08, 2.21.03
    * Corel WordPerfect Address Book 8.x
    * Eudora -- Known to work with versions 3.0, 4.3, 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, 6.0, 6.2
    * ExecMail / Simeon
    * Forté Agent -- Known to work with version 4.0
    * Internet Explorer / Outlook Express / Windows Address Book (WAB) 4.0 - 6.0 -- Known to
       work with versions 4.0, 5.0, 5.5, and 6.0
    * Juno 2.0 - 5.0 -- Known to work with versions 2.0.11, 4.3.09, 4.3.11, and 5.0.33
    * Mozilla (Seamonkey) -- Known to work with versions 0.6, 0.7, 0.8, 0.9.2, 0.9.3, 0.9.7, 1.0,
      1.2, 1.3, 1.6, 1.7
    * Mozilla Thunderbird -- Known to work with version 1.0.2
    * Netscape 3.0 - 7.1 -- Known to work with versions 3.0, 3.03, 4.0, 4.7, 4.78, 6.0, 6.01, 6.1,
       6.2, 6.21, 7.0, 7.1 (Netscape 8 does not have an address book)
    * MS Outlook 98 / 2000 / 2002 / 2003
    * Opera -- Known to work with versions 5.1, 5.2, 6.0, 7.0, 7.23, 8.01, 8.02
    * Palm support through Palm Desktop (read only) -- Known to work with versions 3.01, 4.0,
    * Pegasus Mail -- Known to work with version 3.12b, 4.01, 4.12a, 4.21c, 4.51
    * Pine (PC and UNIX) -- Mailing Lists not supported
    * Other programs which can use/import/export LDAP/LDIF, vCard (VCF), Comma Separated  
       Value (CSV), plain text, one per line or comma separated formats or store addresses in a
       text file suitable for extraction

http://mysite.verizon.net/zakharin/software/Dawn/

>
> Would you please expand on your comment:  "You can download
> all the mail to the local system and process the mail
> offline. "  I don't understand how that would work.  If it's
> not web-based, why would you have to download the mail to the
> local system and process the mail  offline.  I must be
> missing something.

I'm not sure what you mean.  Any POP3 mail client will download mail from a POP3 host to the local hard drive.  Web based mail is read and processed while you are online using via a web browser.  

>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave
>

> Thomas, > > Thanks so much for your feedback. > >  Where can I get more educated on how to use translators to convert contact to the address books? For the address books use Dawn, created by Boris Zakharin Dawn 5, created by Boris Zakharin Dawn works with the following programs:     * Becky! -- Known to work with versions 2.00.08, 2.21.03     * Corel WordPerfect Address Book 8.x     * Eudora -- Known to work with versions 3.0, 4.3, 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, 6.0, 6.2     * ExecMail / Simeon     * Forté Agent -- Known to work with version 4.0     * Internet Explorer / Outlook Express / Windows Address Book (WAB) 4.0 - 6.0 -- Known to        work with versions 4.0, 5.0, 5.5, and 6.0     * Juno 2.0 - 5.0 -- Known to work with versions 2.0.11, 4.3.09, 4.3.11, and 5.0.33     * Mozilla (Seamonkey) -- Known to work with versions 0.6, 0.7, 0.8, 0.9.2, 0.9.3, 0.9.7, 1.0,       1.2, 1.3, 1.6, 1.7     * Mozilla Thunderbird -- Known to work with version 1.0.2     * Netscape 3.0 - 7.1 -- Known to work with versions 3.0, 3.03, 4.0, 4.7, 4.78, 6.0, 6.01, 6.1,        6.2, 6.21, 7.0, 7.1 (Netscape 8 does not have an address book)     * MS Outlook 98 / 2000 / 2002 / 2003     * Opera -- Known to work with versions 5.1, 5.2, 6.0, 7.0, 7.23, 8.01, 8.02     * Palm support through Palm Desktop (read only) -- Known to work with versions 3.01, 4.0,     * Pegasus Mail -- Known to work with version 3.12b, 4.01, 4.12a, 4.21c, 4.51     * Pine (PC and UNIX) -- Mailing Lists not supported     * Other programs which can use/import/export LDAP/LDIF, vCard (VCF), Comma Separated          Value (CSV), plain text, one per line or comma separated formats or store addresses in a        text file suitable for extraction      http://mysite.verizon.net/zakharin/software/Dawn/ > > Would you please expand on your comment:  "You can download > all the mail to the local system and process the mail > offline. "  I don't understand how that would work.  If it's > not web-based, why would you have to download the mail to the > local system and process the mail  offline.  I must be > missing something. I'm not sure what you mean.  Any POP3 mail client will download mail from a POP3 host to the local hard drive.  Web based mail is read and processed while you are online using via a web browser.   > > Thanks, > > Dave >

I have a Palm Treo which syncs all its data nicely to Verizon's website.  It would be great if I could just use Verizon's mail function there as a substitute for my Outlook, because my contacts are always up to date (with Outlook I have to look up a contact and enter it from my Treo).  There are several problem with Verizon for this function.  One, it's webbased and thus slower than Outlook.  Two, you can only keep emails on there for 7 days.  Three, you can't set up accounts with other email addresses as you can with Outlook.

I've heard pmail is great, but I don't quite understand how it works relative to outlook.  Is it web-based and thus slow like Verizon?  Can you create accounts with other email addresses set up on different servers (e.g. google, yahoo, or emails from my own websites)?

I'd love to find a solution and hoping this is it?

Also, what are the downsides of pmail?

Thanks in advance,

Dave 

<p>I have a Palm Treo which syncs all its data nicely to Verizon's website.  It would be great if I could just use Verizon's mail function there as a substitute for my Outlook, because my contacts are always up to date (with Outlook I have to look up a contact and enter it from my Treo).  There are several problem with Verizon for this function.  One, it's webbased and thus slower than Outlook.  Two, you can only keep emails on there for 7 days.  Three, you can't set up accounts with other email addresses as you can with Outlook.</p><p> I've heard pmail is great, but I don't quite understand how it works relative to outlook.  Is it web-based and thus slow like Verizon?  Can you create accounts with other email addresses set up on different servers (e.g. google, yahoo, or emails from my own websites)?</p><p>  I'd love to find a solution and hoping this is it?</p><p>  Also, what are the downsides of pmail?</p><p> </p><p>Thanks in advance,</p><p> </p><p>Dave </p>

[quote user="DaveHilgendorf"]

Is this a good substitute for Outlook?

[/quote]

It's not a PIM; it's a mail client. It's competing in a different space. I think there are plans to add other functions such as calendaring, but at present Pegasus is a pure email client. (It doesn't handle NNTP either, but it will handle RSS via a plug-in.) It's lightweight and fast and highly configurable, but you're not going to be able to sync your calendars, notes, todos, etc. with your handheld, because Pegasus doesn't deal in that stuff.

Contacts? The current version doesn't accept vCards, but the next version will have a much richer address book, so maybe that will.

I don't know about downsides. I think some people find the Microsoft MDI interface that it uses confusing. It's a very good mail client, but it might not fit your purposes if you want a PIM.

[quote user="DaveHilgendorf"]<h4 class="ForumPostTitle"> Is this a good substitute for Outlook?</h4><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>It's not a PIM; it's a mail client. It's competing in a different space. I think there are plans to add other functions such as calendaring, but at present Pegasus is a pure email client. (It doesn't handle NNTP either, but it will handle RSS via a plug-in.) It's lightweight and fast and highly configurable, but you're not going to be able to sync your calendars, notes, todos, etc. with your handheld, because Pegasus doesn't deal in that stuff. </p><p> </p><p>Contacts? The current version doesn't accept vCards, but the next version will have a much richer address book, so maybe that will.</p><p> </p><p>I don't know about downsides. I think some people find the Microsoft MDI interface that it uses confusing. It's a very good mail client, but it might not fit your purposes if you want a PIM. </p>

So there's no way to download my contacts into Pegasus?

2nd question, is this webbased (and slow) like yahoo or gmail?

3rd question, can I add email acccounts (I think they call them POP3 accounts) to Pegasus like you can with Outlook?

Thanks a lot.

Dave

<p>So there's no way to download my contacts into Pegasus?</p><p>2nd question, is this webbased (and slow) like yahoo or gmail?</p><p> 3rd question, can I add email acccounts (I think they call them POP3 accounts) to Pegasus like you can with Outlook?</p><p>  Thanks a lot.</p><p>Dave  </p>

[quote user="DaveHilgendorf"]

So there's no way to download my contacts into Pegasus?

Correct.  There are translators though to convert contact to the address books.

2nd question, is this webbased (and slow) like yahoo or gmail?

Nope, it's a POP3/IMAP4 mailer.  You can download all the mail to the local system and process the mail offline.  You can use it to connect to a GMail account via POP3.

3rd question, can I add email acccounts (I think they call them POP3 accounts) to Pegasus like you can with Outlook?

You can have multiple POP3/IMAP 4 accounts.  They can be used with separate identities or all with the same identity.

Thanks a lot.

Dave

[/quote]
[quote user="DaveHilgendorf"]<p>So there's no way to download my contacts into Pegasus?</p><p><b>Correct.  There are translators though to convert contact to the address books. </b></p><p>2nd question, is this webbased (and slow) like yahoo or gmail?</p><p><b> Nope, it's a POP3/IMAP4 mailer.  You can download all the mail to the local system and process the mail offline.  You can use it to connect to a GMail account via POP3.</b></p><p> 3rd question, can I add email acccounts (I think they call them POP3 accounts) to Pegasus like you can with Outlook?</p><p><b> You can have multiple POP3/IMAP 4 accounts.  They can be used with separate identities or all with the same identity.</b></p><p><b></b>  </p><p>  Thanks a lot.</p><p>Dave  </p>[/quote]

Thomas,

Thanks so much for your feedback.

Where can I get more educated on how to use translators to convert contact to the address books?

Would you please expand on your comment:  "You can download all the mail to the local system and process the mail offline. "  I don't understand how that would work.  If it's not web-based, why would you have to download the mail to the local system and process the mail  offline.  I must be missing something.

Thanks,

Dave 

<p>Thomas,</p><p>Thanks so much for your feedback. </p><p> Where can I get more educated on how to use translators to convert contact to the address books?</p><p>Would you please expand on your comment:  "<b>You can download all the mail to the local system and process the mail offline. "  I don't understand how that would work.  If it's not web-based, why would you have to download the mail to the local system and process the mail  offline.  I must be missing something.</b></p><p>Thanks,</p><p>Dave </p><p>  </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft