Community Discussions and Support
How to migrate Pegasus to new computer?

Whatever I did, in case anyone else faces this problem, here's how I solved it:

I had a new mail folder with some files and an Admin folder within it.  I copied all my old mail files into the Admin folder.  Et voila! My almost 10 year email history was back.

Thanks again to Thomas for being so patient.

<p>Whatever I did, in case anyone else faces this problem, here's how I solved it:</p><p>I had a new mail folder with some files and an Admin folder within it.  I copied all my old mail files into the Admin folder.  Et voila! My almost 10 year email history was back.</p><p>Thanks again to Thomas for being so patient.  </p>

Hi.  I have been using Pegasus for many years, and now I would like to move my folders/settings to a new pc.  Is this possible?  How might I do it?

At the very least, I'd like to move my mail folders to the new pc.  (I figure I always could install a new version of Pegasus if I could recover/use those mail files.)

I would hate to lose all these years of emails!

I appreciate any info/suggestions anyone might offer about how to do this. 

<p>Hi.  I have been using Pegasus for many years, and now I would like to move my folders/settings to a new pc.  Is this possible?  How might I do it?</p><p>At the very least, I'd like to move my mail folders to the new pc.  (I figure I always could install a new version of Pegasus if I could recover/use those mail files.)</p><p>I would hate to lose all these years of emails!</p><p>I appreciate any info/suggestions anyone might offer about how to do this. </p><p>  </p>

> Hi.  I have been using Pegasus for many years, and now I would like
> to move my folders/settings to a new pc.  Is this possible?  How
> might I do it?
>
> At the very least, I'd like to move my mail folders to the new pc.
> (I figure I always could install a new version of Pegasus if I could
> recover/use those mail files.)
>
> I would hate to lose all these years of emails!
>
> I appreciate any info/suggestions anyone might offer about how to do
> this.

1.  Use Help | About Pegasus Mail | Info and note all the
    directories.  This is the directory structure you want to
    backup.

2.  Use the Windows backup program to backup the entire
    structure. In the multiuser made this means you'll have to
    backup the top level structure to get all the user
    directories. You can simply ZIP these directories to a
    CDROM and restore on the other end as well.

3.  Restore this to the new computer.  

Note:

A.  If you are using a CDROM for backup make sure that the
    files did not get marked read only.  Use Explorer and check
    the file properties.

B.  If you changed drive letters then run pconfig.exe and
    change the drive letter of the home and new mail directory
    to match the new location. You also should check the
    Mailbox: line in the *.PND files and make sure it's blank.

C.  If you want to upgrade in the process do it after you transfer
    the files and install it over the old installation using exactly
    the same directory structure and options.

> Hi.  I have been using Pegasus for many years, and now I would like > to move my folders/settings to a new pc.  Is this possible?  How > might I do it? > > At the very least, I'd like to move my mail folders to the new pc. > (I figure I always could install a new version of Pegasus if I could > recover/use those mail files.) > > I would hate to lose all these years of emails! > > I appreciate any info/suggestions anyone might offer about how to do > this. 1.  Use Help | About Pegasus Mail | Info and note all the     directories.  This is the directory structure you want to     backup. 2.  Use the Windows backup program to backup the entire     structure. In the multiuser made this means you'll have to     backup the top level structure to get all the user     directories. You can simply ZIP these directories to a     CDROM and restore on the other end as well. 3.  Restore this to the new computer.   Note: A.  If you are using a CDROM for backup make sure that the     files did not get marked read only.  Use Explorer and check     the file properties. B.  If you changed drive letters then run pconfig.exe and     change the drive letter of the home and new mail directory     to match the new location. You also should check the     Mailbox: line in the *.PND files and make sure it's blank. C.  If you want to upgrade in the process do it after you transfer     the files and install it over the old installation using exactly     the same directory structure and options.

Yay!  Thank you very much.

I'm a solo user so it looks like just /Mail directories.

Thank you again!

<p>Yay!  Thank you very much.</p><p> I'm a solo user so it looks like just /Mail directories.</p><p> Thank you again!  </p>

I must be doing something wrong.  Let me run through the checklist:

---
1.  Use Help | About Pegasus Mail | Info and note all the
    directories.  This is the directory structure you want to
    backup.
---

Only had the one mailbox.  Copied it and all subdirectories to cd-rom.  (See below about read-only.)

---
2.  Use the Windows backup program to backup the entire
    structure. In the multiuser made this means you'll have to
    backup the top level structure to get all the user
    directories. You can simply ZIP these directories to a
    CDROM and restore on the other end as well.
---

As mentioned.  Copied no problem.

---
3.  Restore this to the new computer.  
---

Copied back no problem!

---
A.  If you are using a CDROM for backup make sure that the
    files did not get marked read only.  Use Explorer and check
    the file properties.

---

They were marked read-only, but I changed the properties after copying them to new pc.  Changed properties of all sub-directories and files too. 

---
B.  If you changed drive letters then run pconfig.exe and
    change the drive letter of the home and new mail directory
    to match the new location. You also should check the
    Mailbox: line in the *.PND files and make sure it's blank.
---

Same drive letter.  I went through each *.PND file and blanked the mailbox: line.

---
C.  If you want to upgrade in the process do it after you transfer
    the files and install it over the old installation using exactly
    the same directory structure and options.
---

Used same version of Pegasus--4.41.

But when I bring up Pegasus, the old files aren't visible!  I did see the mailbox option in Options/General Settings/Mailbox location.  It's set to default.  But no old mail!

What in heck am I missing?

Might it have something to do with this:  I'm using XP Pro, logged on as user (only 2 accounts--mine and admin), but Pegasus shows at bottom "Admin".

When I installed Pegasus, I chose "dialup" though I have a fios connection.

Just not sure what else to check!

<p>I must be doing something wrong.  Let me run through the checklist:</p><p>--- 1.  Use Help | About Pegasus Mail | Info and note all the     directories.  This is the directory structure you want to     backup. ---</p><p>Only had the one mailbox.  Copied it and all subdirectories to cd-rom.  (See below about read-only.)</p><p>  --- 2.  Use the Windows backup program to backup the entire     structure. In the multiuser made this means you'll have to     backup the top level structure to get all the user     directories. You can simply ZIP these directories to a     CDROM and restore on the other end as well. ---</p><p>As mentioned.  Copied no problem.</p><p>--- 3.  Restore this to the new computer.   --- </p><p>Copied back no problem!</p><p>--- A.  If you are using a CDROM for backup make sure that the     files did not get marked read only.  Use Explorer and check     the file properties. </p><p>---</p><p>They were marked read-only, but I changed the properties after copying them to new pc.  Changed properties of all sub-directories and files too. </p><p>--- B.  If you changed drive letters then run pconfig.exe and     change the drive letter of the home and new mail directory     to match the new location. You also should check the     Mailbox: line in the *.PND files and make sure it's blank. ---</p><p>Same drive letter.  I went through each *.PND file and blanked the mailbox: line.</p><p>--- C.  If you want to upgrade in the process do it after you transfer     the files and install it over the old installation using exactly     the same directory structure and options. ---</p><p>Used same version of Pegasus--4.41.</p><p>But when I bring up Pegasus, the old files aren't visible!  I did see the mailbox option in Options/General Settings/Mailbox location.  It's set to default.  But no old mail!</p><p>What in heck am I missing?</p><p>Might it have something to do with this:  I'm using XP Pro, logged on as user (only 2 accounts--mine and admin), but Pegasus shows at bottom "Admin". </p><p>When I installed Pegasus, I chose "dialup" though I have a fios connection.</p><p>Just not sure what else to check!</p><p>  </p><p> </p><p>  </p>

Not sure what went wrong.  Use Help | About Pegasus Mail | Info and verify that the home and new mail directory is correct.  Then try exiting WinPMail, renaming the hierarch.pm to hierarch.sav and try again.

<p>Not sure what went wrong.  Use Help | About Pegasus Mail | Info and verify that the home and new mail directory is correct.  Then try exiting WinPMail, renaming the hierarch.pm to hierarch.sav and try again. </p><p> </p>

I sincerely appreciate your help, Thomas.  Thank you.

I've checked info and it shows the mailbox as mail/admin, not mail, as it should (and did before).  This persists even after I change the mailbox location through options--and after renaming the hierarch file.

I don't remember operating as "admin" before; did I somehow modify the installation from how it used to be maybe?  (Remember I've only ever used it just for myself, not (intentionally anyhow) in any sort of multiple-user format.)

I see the discussion in Help about multi-user mode; is there a single-user mode that might solve this? 

<p>I sincerely appreciate your help, Thomas.  Thank you.</p><p>I've checked info and it shows the mailbox as mail/admin, not mail, as it should (and did before).  This persists even after I change the mailbox location through options--and after renaming the hierarch file.</p><p>I don't remember operating as "admin" before; did I somehow modify the installation from how it used to be maybe?  (Remember I've only ever used it just for myself, not (intentionally anyhow) in any sort of multiple-user format.)</p><p>I see the discussion in Help about multi-user mode; is there a single-user mode that might solve this? </p>

[quote user="mushpuppy"]

I sincerely appreciate your help, Thomas.  Thank you.

I've checked info and it shows the mailbox as mail/admin, not mail, as it should (and did before).  This persists even after I change the mailbox location through options--and after renaming the hierarch file.

I don't remember operating as "admin" before; did I somehow modify the installation from how it used to be maybe?  (Remember I've only ever used it just for myself, not (intentionally anyhow) in any sort of multiple-user format.)

I see the discussion in Help about multi-user mode; is there a single-user mode that might solve this? 

[/quote]

If it did before then you did not simply copy the system across.   A new single-user installation from v4.x on creates one user called admin.  If you did not have the mail locaed in the directory admin before then you did some sort of install (not upgrade) after transfering.

[quote user="mushpuppy"]<p>I sincerely appreciate your help, Thomas.  Thank you.</p><p>I've checked info and it shows the mailbox as mail/admin, not mail, as it should (and did before).  This persists even after I change the mailbox location through options--and after renaming the hierarch file.</p><p>I don't remember operating as "admin" before; did I somehow modify the installation from how it used to be maybe?  (Remember I've only ever used it just for myself, not (intentionally anyhow) in any sort of multiple-user format.)</p><p>I see the discussion in Help about multi-user mode; is there a single-user mode that might solve this? </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>If it did before then you did not simply copy the system across.   A new single-user installation from v4.x on creates one user called admin.  If you did not have the mail locaed in the directory admin before then you did some sort of install (not upgrade) after transfering.</p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft