Community Discussions and Support
Maildir or MBOX

[quote user="dpulver"]

Hello,

i want to use the Mercury Server as a IMAP Server. I readed, that there is a difference for performance between the maildir and the mbox

format. Which format supports the mercury server ?

Is it possible to manage many thousand mails per user as IMAP with a good performance?

Thanks

[/quote]

Neither, the mailbox format is the Pegasus Mail file and folder format.  I use Mercury/32 IMAP4 with SquirrelMail to provide web mail services and find it works quite well over a broadband connection.  Thousands of message may or may not be a problem.  I open folders with a couple thousand messages with no problem; I generally shy away from opening folders with over 10K messages because it's slow.  My personal account has a few hundred separate folders and many thousands of messages.  Whether it will work for you or not is really based on the number of concurrent users, the capability of the hardware you are using and the bandwidth.  The mail clients also come into play here, some are a lot better than others.

FWIW, the IMAP4 protocol is a very busy protocol and does put a lot of stress on a system.

[quote user="dpulver"]<p>Hello,</p><p> i want to use the Mercury Server as a IMAP Server. I readed, that there is a difference for performance between the maildir and the mbox </p><p>format. Which format supports the mercury server ?</p><p>Is it possible to manage many thousand mails per user as IMAP with a good performance?</p><p>Thanks </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Neither, the mailbox format is the Pegasus Mail file and folder format.  I use Mercury/32 IMAP4 with SquirrelMail to provide web mail services and find it works quite well over a broadband connection.  Thousands of message may or may not be a problem.  I open folders with a couple thousand messages with no problem; I generally shy away from opening folders with over 10K messages because it's slow.  My personal account has a few hundred separate folders and many thousands of messages.  Whether it will work for you or not is really based on the number of concurrent users, the capability of the hardware you are using and the bandwidth.  The mail clients also come into play here, some are a lot better than others. </p><p> FWIW, the IMAP4 protocol is a very busy protocol and does put a lot of stress on a system. </p><p>   </p>

Hello,

i want to use the Mercury Server as a IMAP Server. I readed, that there is a difference for performance between the maildir and the mbox

format. Which format supports the mercury server ?

Is it possible to manage many thousand mails per user as IMAP with a good performance?

Thanks

<p>Hello,</p><p> i want to use the Mercury Server as a IMAP Server. I readed, that there is a difference for performance between the maildir and the mbox </p><p>format. Which format supports the mercury server ?</p><p>Is it possible to manage many thousand mails per user as IMAP with a good performance?</p><p> </p><p>Thanks</p><p> </p><p>  </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft