Pegasus Mail Suggestions
Pegasus address-parser revamp

Quick update - updating to the latest beta version seems to have done the trick and allowed me to delete the offending email.  John

Quick update - updating to the latest beta version seems to have done the trick and allowed me to delete the offending email.  John

If I remember correctly, the topic was addressed by David a couple of month ago, still I'd like to bring it up again as reminder:

Whenever Pegasus stumbles upon an incorrect email-address (here: incorrect use of quotation marks, i.e. using single ones, not in pairs), Pegasus throws a parser error dialog and stops, waiting for a confirmation.

On and off spammers seem to bring such incorrect emails into circulation, just often enough to make ANY use of rules that parse the address a real nuisance.

How to resolve that problem is a matter of the parser source and/ or personal preference: some people suggested a timed error dialog that automatically closes after a couple of seconds if no user activity is taken, some suggested to not show any dialog at all (or optional by configuration) - personally I'd prefer it not to be shown and instead generating an error entry for the Pegasus system messages window - I believe the error dialog was for debugging purposes only anyway if I recall David's comment correctly.

<p>If I remember correctly, the topic was addressed by David a couple of month ago, still I'd like to bring it up again as reminder:</p><p>Whenever Pegasus stumbles upon an incorrect email-address (here: incorrect use of quotation marks, i.e. using single ones, not in pairs), Pegasus throws a parser error dialog and stops, waiting for a confirmation.</p><p>On and off spammers seem to bring such incorrect emails into circulation, just often enough to make ANY use of rules that parse the address a real nuisance.</p><p>How to resolve that problem is a matter of the parser source and/ or personal preference: some people suggested a timed error dialog that automatically closes after a couple of seconds if no user activity is taken, some suggested to not show any dialog at all (or optional by configuration) - personally I'd prefer it not to be shown and instead generating an error entry for the Pegasus system messages window - I believe the error dialog was for debugging purposes only anyway if I recall David's comment correctly.  </p>

Hello!

The next version of Pegasus Mail is likely to include such a change. Instead of an error dialog of its own, Pegasus Mail will annonce that kind of error in the "System Messages"-window.

Hello! The next version of Pegasus Mail is likely to include such a change. Instead of an error dialog of its own, Pegasus Mail will annonce that kind of error in the "System Messages"-window.

"The next version of Pegasus Mail is likely to include such a change..."

Just wanted to say I would find that tremendously useful, I hope David's able to include it.

<p>"The next version of Pegasus Mail is likely to include such a change..."</p><p> </p><p>Just wanted to say I would find that tremendously useful, I hope David's able to include it. </p>

[quote user="rnjmorris"]

"The next version of Pegasus Mail is likely to include such a change..."
Just wanted to say I would find that tremendously useful, I hope David's able to include it.

[/quote]

It's already in the current beta and working great. It will add an entry to the system message window and has no popup anymore.

[quote user="rnjmorris"]<p>"The next version of Pegasus Mail is likely to include such a change..." Just wanted to say I would find that tremendously useful, I hope David's able to include it. </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>It's already in the current beta and working great. It will add an entry to the system message window and has no popup anymore.</p><p> </p>

-- Han van den Bogaerde - support@vandenbogaerde.net Member of Pegasus Mail Support Group. My own Pegasus Mail related web information: http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/

In the realm of spam filled E-mail boxes --- I'd love to find a work around Yesteryear for this parser error.

Is there an error reporiting level I can switch to that will eliminate this?

Thanks

Michael

<P>In the realm of spam filled E-mail boxes --- I'd love to find a work around Yesteryear for this parser error. </P> <P>Is there an error reporiting level I can switch to that will eliminate this?</P> <P> Thanks</P> <P>Michael</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

[quote user="MJacobs"]

In the realm of spam filled E-mail boxes --- I'd love to find a work around Yesteryear for this parser error.

Is there an error reporiting level I can switch to that will eliminate this?

Thanks

Michael

[/quote]

No, you need to wait for the next version.

[quote user="MJacobs"]<p>In the realm of spam filled E-mail boxes --- I'd love to find a work around Yesteryear for this parser error. </p> <p>Is there an error reporiting level I can switch to that will eliminate this?</p> <p> Thanks</p> <p>Michael</p> <p mce_keep="true"> [/quote]</p><p mce_keep="true">No, you need to wait for the next version.</p><p mce_keep="true"> </p>

-- Han van den Bogaerde - support@vandenbogaerde.net Member of Pegasus Mail Support Group. My own Pegasus Mail related web information: http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/

I have hit this error for the first time. The offending email is from a friend, not a spammer.  It will not delete by highlighting and clicking delete or by dragging and dropping. A copy gets put in the deleted messages folder and then that doesn't get deleted.  The message seems to be in a file ending .CNM which I can rename. Then the message body doesn't show but what should be an empty New Message Folder still shows 1 and the error still occurs.

My problem is - how do I eliminate this particular mail?
<p>I have hit this error for the first time. The offending email is from a friend, not a spammer.  It will not delete by highlighting and clicking delete or by dragging and dropping. A copy gets put in the deleted messages folder and then that doesn't get deleted.  The message seems to be in a file ending .CNM which I can rename. Then the message body doesn't show but what should be an empty New Message Folder still shows 1 and the error still occurs.</p>My problem is - how do I eliminate this particular mail?

[quote user="jmc"]

I have hit this error for the first time. The offending email is from a friend, not a spammer.  It will not delete by highlighting and clicking delete or by dragging and dropping. A copy gets put in the deleted messages folder and then that doesn't get deleted.  The message seems to be in a file ending .CNM which I can rename. Then the message body doesn't show but what should be an empty New Message Folder still shows 1 and the error still occurs.

My problem is - how do I eliminate this particular mail?[/quote]

Most likely the message is marked read-only. In the folders listing, select the message and right mouse Message Properties (or F12) and clear the box "Is marked read-only". 

[quote user="jmc"]<p>I have hit this error for the first time. The offending email is from a friend, not a spammer.  It will not delete by highlighting and clicking delete or by dragging and dropping. A copy gets put in the deleted messages folder and then that doesn't get deleted.  The message seems to be in a file ending .CNM which I can rename. Then the message body doesn't show but what should be an empty New Message Folder still shows 1 and the error still occurs.</p><p>My problem is - how do I eliminate this particular mail?[/quote]</p><p>Most likely the message is marked read-only. In the folders listing, select the message and right mouse Message Properties (or F12) and clear the box "Is marked read-only". </p><p>  </p><p> </p>

No - not marked as read only.

The parse error comes up evey time I try to do anything with it.

<p>No - not marked as read only. </p><p>The parse error comes up evey time I try to do anything with it. </p>

The actual error message reads:

WinPMail cannot parse the address '<Inbox/1_159_ABK8ktkAADNMSZ3beATRxQ33ubo/23o/25"f,2/lA!>'.
&lt;p&gt;The actual error message reads:&lt;/p&gt;WinPMail cannot parse the address &#039;&amp;lt;Inbox/1_159_ABK8ktkAADNMSZ3beATRxQ33ubo/23o/25&quot;f,2/lA!&amp;gt;&#039;.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft