Community Discussions and Support
N00B - Setup for BCC delivery

On 22 Nov 2007 Pegasus Mail & Mercury - Automated Email <NoReply@praktit.se> wrote:

> Hi guys.
>
>  A little bit of both.
>
> The Shared Mailbox thing:
> I setup mail to all users ( i.e *@agrilibrium.co.za) to be forwarded
> to agrilibrium@iburst.co.za.
> (This is done from the domain host cPanel).  The split is done after
> retrieval by Mercury.
> My reasoning was to avoid defining a mailbox for each of the users
> at the domain level.
> I simply administer locally via Mercury.
>
> Mail from this person (of the Exim server) is processed correctly
> when they are on TO: or CC:
> It's only when on BCC that it doesn't work as the To: header shows
> <Undisclosed Recipients>.
>
> I have no idea whether I am processing Envelope_to: before any To:

The X-Envelope-To: is being added by Mercury/32 when delivering the message to a new mail directory.  If your forwarder has not added the original RCPT TO: addresses the the mail when it's being rewritten and forwarded then you'll never be able to determine an original Bcc: address since it's only in the SMTP addresses in most cases.  The forwarder normally should add this as a Deliver-To: or similar header that you can use in delivery.

> Where would I check this ?

On 22 Nov 2007 Pegasus Mail &amp;amp; Mercury - Automated Email &amp;lt;NoReply@praktit.se&amp;gt; wrote: &amp;gt; Hi guys. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; &amp;nbsp;A little bit of both. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; The Shared Mailbox thing: &amp;gt; I setup mail to all users ( i.e *@agrilibrium.co.za) to be forwarded &amp;gt; to agrilibrium@iburst.co.za. &amp;gt; (This is done from the domain host cPanel).&amp;nbsp; The split is done after &amp;gt; retrieval by Mercury. &amp;gt; My reasoning was to avoid defining a mailbox for each of the users &amp;gt; at the domain level. &amp;gt; I simply administer locally via Mercury. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; Mail from this person (of the Exim server) is processed correctly &amp;gt; when they are on TO: or CC: &amp;gt; It&#039;s only when on BCC that it doesn&#039;t work as the To: header shows &amp;gt; &amp;lt;Undisclosed Recipients&amp;gt;. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; I have no idea whether I am processing Envelope_to: before any To: The X-Envelope-To: is being added by Mercury/32 when delivering the message to a new mail directory.&amp;nbsp; If your forwarder has not added the original RCPT TO: addresses the the mail when it&#039;s being rewritten and forwarded then you&#039;ll never be able to determine an original Bcc: address since it&#039;s only in the SMTP addresses in most cases.&amp;nbsp; The forwarder normally should add this as a Deliver-To: or similar header that you can use in delivery. &amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp; &amp;gt; Where would I check this ?

Hi guys.

One of the POP3 boxes we use is shared between multiple users.
Incoming mail is then distributed according to ALIAS definitions.

When one of these users is on BCC, that mail ends up in the default / undeliverable box.

I have been scrounging around the various config options and help without spotting anything likely.
Any ideas . . . What have I missed ?

Robin.

&lt;p&gt;Hi guys.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;One of the POP3 boxes we use is shared between multiple users. Incoming mail is then distributed according to ALIAS definitions.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;When one of these users is on BCC, that mail ends up in the default / undeliverable box. I have been scrounging around the various config options and help without spotting anything likely. Any ideas . . . What have I missed ?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;Robin.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Try this (I have had similar problems):

1. Look for a header in the messages that shows the true recipient.  It may be 'Envelope-to:' or 'X-Intended-for:' or somesuch.

2. Put that in the MercuryD configuration entry for that POP mailbox under 'special header processing'. (I would also check the box 'Check only in these headers'.)  Ensure you have a 'default' user defined as well.

That should then allow your aliases to work correctly.

&lt;P&gt;Try this (I have had similar problems):&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;1. Look for a header in the messages that shows the true recipient.&amp;nbsp; It may be &#039;Envelope-to:&#039; or &#039;X-Intended-for:&#039; or somesuch.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;2.&amp;nbsp;Put that in the MercuryD configuration entry for that POP mailbox under &#039;special header processing&#039;. (I would also check the box &#039;Check only in these headers&#039;.)&amp;nbsp; Ensure you have a &#039;default&#039; user defined as well.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;That should then allow your aliases to work correctly.&lt;/P&gt;

Received: from serve2.serve-hosting.net ([207.45.177.170])
    by wbs-smtp-in-03 with esmtp (Exim 4.67)
    (envelope-from <sender@wherever.com>)
    id 1IrUWP-0004xA-Km
    for user16@groupname.co.za; Mon, 12 Nov 2007 10:20:00 +0200

Not much joy in terms of nice headers, I'm afraid.
Maybe I'm sunk due to the shared mailbox.

&lt;p&gt;Received: from serve2.serve-hosting.net ([207.45.177.170]) &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;by wbs-smtp-in-03 with esmtp (Exim 4.67) &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;(envelope-from &amp;lt;sender@wherever.com&amp;gt;) &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;id 1IrUWP-0004xA-Km &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;&lt;b&gt;for user16@groupname.co.za&lt;/b&gt;; Mon, 12 Nov 2007 10:20:00 +0200&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Not much joy in terms of nice headers, I&#039;m afraid. Maybe I&#039;m sunk due to the shared mailbox. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Are you sure there isn't any more headers in the message that may be hidden from view in the email program? If not try contacting whoever is running the server with the POP3 mailboxes and ask them to add an 'Envelope-to:' header or similar.

/Rolf 

&lt;p&gt;Are you sure there isn&#039;t any more headers in the message that may be hidden from view in the email program? If not try contacting whoever is running the server with the POP3 mailboxes and ask them to add an &#039;Envelope-to:&#039; header or similar. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;/Rolf&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

I have all those nice headers in normal emails.
Just not in BCC mail, it seems.

I will stop taking delivery of mail from that mailbox for a while.
That will allow me to check the headers on the Mercury server directly - it's text at that point.

&lt;p&gt;I have all those nice headers in normal emails. Just not in BCC mail, it seems. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I will stop taking delivery of mail from that mailbox for a while. That will allow me to check the headers on the Mercury server directly - it&#039;s text at that point. &lt;/p&gt;

Header from the BCC that won't go . . .

Envelope-to: agrilibrium@iburst.co.za  this is the shared box.

Comment: Scanned by NOD32
Return-path: <jacqui@labelpak.com>
Envelope-to: agrilibrium@iburst.co.za
Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:10:30 +0200
Received: from serve2.serve-hosting.net ([207.45.177.170])
    by wbs-smtp-in-02 with esmtp (Exim 4.67)
    (envelope-from <jacqui@labelpak.com>)
    id 1Itzp5-0005N4-Tb
    for agrilibrium@iburst.co.za; Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:10:30 +0200
Received: from [196.36.136.20] (helo=labelpak.ffs-sa.co.za)
    by serve2.serve-hosting.net with esmtp (Exim 4.68)
    id 1Itzmq-0007Xw-Re
    for nakkie@agrilibrium.co.za; Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:09:32 +0200
Received: from cromalin ([192.168.0.116]) by labelpak.ffs-sa.co.za with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.3959);
     Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:06:59 +0200
Message-ID: <00cc01c82a72$608caed0$7400a8c0@cromalin>
To: <Undisclosed-Recipient:;>

etc.

The last Received shows the user it is intended for. 

Received: from [196.36.136.20] (helo=labelpak.ffs-sa.co.za)

by serve2.serve-hosting.net with esmtp (Exim 4.68)

id 1Itzmq-0007Xw-Re

for nakkie@agrilibrium.co.za

&lt;p&gt;Header from the BCC that won&#039;t go . . .&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Envelope-to: agrilibrium@iburst.co.za&amp;nbsp; this is the shared box. &amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Comment: Scanned by NOD32 Return-path: &amp;lt;jacqui@labelpak.com&amp;gt; Envelope-to: agrilibrium@iburst.co.za Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:10:30 +0200 Received: from serve2.serve-hosting.net ([207.45.177.170]) &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; by wbs-smtp-in-02 with esmtp (Exim 4.67) &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; (envelope-from &amp;lt;jacqui@labelpak.com&amp;gt;) &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; id 1Itzp5-0005N4-Tb &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; for agrilibrium@iburst.co.za; Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:10:30 +0200 Received: from [196.36.136.20] (helo=labelpak.ffs-sa.co.za) &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; by serve2.serve-hosting.net with esmtp (Exim 4.68) &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; (envelope-from &amp;lt;jacqui@labelpak.com&amp;gt;) &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; id 1Itzmq-0007Xw-Re &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; for nakkie@agrilibrium.co.za; Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:09:32 +0200 Received: from cromalin ([192.168.0.116]) by labelpak.ffs-sa.co.za with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.3959); &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:06:59 +0200 Message-ID: &amp;lt;00cc01c82a72$608caed0$7400a8c0@cromalin&amp;gt; From: &quot;Jacqui Richardson&quot; &amp;lt;jacqui@labelpak.com&amp;gt; To: &amp;lt;Undisclosed-Recipient:;&amp;gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;etc.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The last Received shows the user it is intended for.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;Received: from [196.36.136.20] (helo=labelpak.ffs-sa.co.za) &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; by serve2.serve-hosting.net with esmtp (Exim 4.68) &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; (envelope-from &amp;lt;jacqui@labelpak.com&amp;gt;) &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; id 1Itzmq-0007Xw-Re &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; for nakkie@agrilibrium.co.za&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

R you processing envelope-to: filter before any to: filter?

R you processing envelope-to: filter before any to: filter?

So the Envelope-to: header incorrectly states agrilibrium@iburst.co.za when the message in this case (BCC copy) is intended for nakkie@agrilibrium.co.za? Sounds like an issue you will need to discuss with the people running the Exim server.

/Rolf

&lt;p&gt;So the Envelope-to: header incorrectly states agrilibrium@iburst.co.za when the message in this case (BCC copy) is intended for nakkie@agrilibrium.co.za? Sounds like an issue you will need to discuss with the people running the Exim server.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;/Rolf &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Hi guys.

A little bit of both.

The Shared Mailbox thing:

I setup mail to all users ( i.e *@agrilibrium.co.za) to be forwarded to agrilibrium@iburst.co.za.

(This is done from the domain host cPanel).  The split is done after retrieval by Mercury.

My reasoning was to avoid defining a mailbox for each of the users at the domain level.

I simply administer locally via Mercury.

Mail from this person (of the Exim server) is processed correctly when they are on TO: or CC:

It's only when on BCC that it doesn't work as the To: header shows <Undisclosed Recipients>.

I have no idea whether I am processing Envelope_to: before any To:
Where would I check this ?

&lt;p&gt;Hi guys.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;A little bit of both.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The Shared Mailbox thing: I setup mail to all users ( i.e *@agrilibrium.co.za) to be forwarded to agrilibrium@iburst.co.za. (This is done from the domain host cPanel).&amp;nbsp; The split is done after retrieval by Mercury. My reasoning was to avoid defining a mailbox for each of the users at the domain level. I simply administer locally via Mercury.&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;Mail from this person (of the Exim server) is processed correctly when they are on TO: or CC: It&#039;s only when on BCC that it doesn&#039;t work as the To: header shows &amp;lt;Undisclosed Recipients&amp;gt;.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I have no idea whether I am processing Envelope_to: before any To: Where would I check this ?&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

See if you can get cpanel to insert the *original* recipient's address in a header.  If not, there's no simple solution, as cpanel is rewriting the address and it's changed by the time Mercury sees the message.

&lt;P&gt;See if you can get cpanel to insert the *original* recipient&#039;s address in a header.&amp;nbsp; If not, there&#039;s no simple solution, as cpanel is rewriting the address and it&#039;s changed by the time Mercury sees the message.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft