Community Discussions and Support
Unable to access Pegasus Mail account

Thanks, Thomas.

I disabled virus checking for the folder in question and tried to open the Main Folder. Pegasus froze for about 10 minutes then returned to normal without opening the folder. I clicked Open again, and it opened immediately. I moved all the mail into another folder (took a long time), then closed the Main Folder which automatically recovered deleted space - so another unresponsive wait.

I closed the account and performed a manual AV scan of the files - nothing was detected. I re-enabled virus scanning, and was able to open all folders without any problem.

Everything is working as it should. Thanks very much for your help.

<P>Thanks, Thomas.</P> <P>I disabled virus checking for the folder in question and tried to open the Main Folder. Pegasus froze for about 10 minutes then returned to normal without opening the folder. I clicked Open again, and it opened immediately. I moved all the mail into another folder (took a long time), then closed the Main Folder which automatically recovered deleted space - so another unresponsive wait.</P> <P>I closed the account and performed a manual AV scan of the files - nothing was detected. I re-enabled virus scanning, and was able to open all folders without any problem.</P> <P>Everything is working as it should. Thanks very much for your help.</P>

Hi again :)

OK, I have a Pegasus Mail account that has a copy of all mail received by our company. I have a couple of mail filtering rules that mark new mail as read and then moves the mail to the Main Folder when the New Mail Folder is opened, so this is triggered each time the account is accessed. This works fine - Pegasus will usually take a fair amount of time processing these rules, but it eventually displays an empty New Mail Folder, which is what I want to see.

Mail accounts are stored on a server and are accessed via client machines.

This mail account has only been up and running for about 5 weeks. Last friday I created a mail folder called Oct_2007 and moved October's mail into it. Since then I have been unable to access this mail account. Today I started Pegasus, logged into the account and left it for over an hour. It appears to be doing something: once, a status message popped up saying 'saving message status', but when I check the list of open files on the host server, nothing is associated with that folder for my username. Normally, one of the pmm files etc is shown as being accessed.

When this has happened in the past, it has been due to a dodgy cnm file which can be identified using the procedure above. I would then move the file out of the folder, allowing Pegasus to access the remainder of the files normally. As there do not seem to be any files available to do this with, is there anything else I can try to regain access to the company email please?

Thank you

<P>Hi again :)</P> <P>OK, I have a Pegasus Mail account that has a copy of all mail received by our company. I have a couple of mail filtering rules that mark new mail as read and then moves the mail to the Main Folder when the New Mail Folder is opened, so this is triggered each time the account is accessed. This works fine - Pegasus will usually take a fair amount of time processing these rules, but it eventually displays an empty New Mail Folder, which is what I want to see.</P> <P>Mail accounts are stored on a server and are accessed via client machines.</P> <P>This mail account has only been up and running for about 5 weeks. Last friday I created a mail folder called Oct_2007 and moved October's mail into it. Since then I have been unable to access this mail account. Today I started Pegasus, logged into the account and left it for over an hour. It appears to be doing something: once, a status message popped up saying 'saving message status', but when I check the list of open files on the host server, nothing is associated with that folder for my username. Normally, one of the pmm files etc is shown as being accessed.</P> <P>When this has happened in the past, it has been due to a dodgy cnm file which can be identified using the procedure above. I would then move the file out of the folder, allowing Pegasus to access the remainder of the files normally. As there do not seem to be any files available to do this with, is there anything else I can try to regain access to the company email please?</P> <P>Thank you</P>

I still think this is a problem with a very large CNM file (normally a bounce message) in the new mail directory that's getting hung up in filtering.  It could be a bad hierarch.pm file but with only two folders in the account I doubt it.  In any case I do not not (and would not) be filtering this archive user's mail to the main folder, you might try renaming the winrules.pmc to winrules.sav to stop the filtering and see if this helps. 

<p>I still think this is a problem with a very large CNM file (normally a bounce message) in the new mail directory that's getting hung up in filtering.  It could be a bad hierarch.pm file but with only two folders in the account I doubt it.  In any case I do not not (and would not) be filtering this archive user's mail to the main folder, you might try renaming the winrules.pmc to winrules.sav to stop the filtering and see if this helps.  </p><p> </p>

Thanks, Thomas.

Your suggestion worked. I renamed the file as suggested and the was able to access the account. I discovered a bounced message of 24MB.

One question, if I may - why would you not set New Mail filtering rules to act this way?

Thanks again!

<P>Thanks, Thomas.</P> <P>Your suggestion worked. I renamed the file as suggested and the was able to access the account. I discovered a bounced message of 24MB.</P> <P>One question, if I may - why would you not set New Mail filtering rules to act this way?</P> <P>Thanks again!</P>

Ah, there is still a problem. Although I can access it, I marked all mail as read then closed Pegasus. Normally, Pegasus would move read mail to the main folder, then exit - I left it for two hours and it was still not responding.

I'll try moving the larger mails (cnm files) out of the folder and see what happens.

<P>Ah, there is still a problem. Although I can access it, I marked all mail as read then closed Pegasus. Normally, Pegasus would move read mail to the main folder, then exit - I left it for two hours and it was still not responding.</P> <P>I'll try moving the larger mails (cnm files) out of the folder and see what happens.</P>

[quote user="Greenman"]

Thanks, Thomas.

Your suggestion worked. I renamed the file as suggested and the was able to access the account. I discovered a bounced message of 24MB.

One question, if I may - why would you not set New Mail filtering rules to act this way?

Thanks again!

[/quote]

I would say you are using content control and have set no limit on the message size so it's searching the entire encoded 24 MBytes.  Set a limit or turn off content control since it's really not required for the archive user.  You might do the same for the filtering as well.

[quote user="Greenman"]<p>Thanks, Thomas.</p> <p>Your suggestion worked. I renamed the file as suggested and the was able to access the account. I discovered a bounced message of 24MB.</p> <p>One question, if I may - why would you not set New Mail filtering rules to act this way?</p> <p>Thanks again!</p><p>[/quote]</p><p>  I would say you are using content control and have set no limit on the message size so it's searching the entire encoded 24 MBytes.  Set a limit or turn off content control since it's really not required for the archive user.  You might do the same for the filtering as well.</p><p>  </p>

Hi

Content control is disabled for this account.

I moved the larger cnm's out of the folder but it did not make any difference. So I moved them back in and manually moved the mail from the New Mail folder to the Main folder. However, even after marking subsequent new mail as 'read', when I close the account, it still hangs. Clicking the close button on the Pegasus window gives the usual Not responding message, so I click End Now, an error report is sent, I click close, but Pegasus is still running. The only way to close Pegasus is to choose End Process from the Processes tab in Task Manager.

Why is not a good idea to run filtering rules which mark mail as read, then move the read mail into the main folder when Pegasus is opened?

Thanks!

<P>Hi</P> <P>Content control is disabled for this account.</P> <P>I moved the larger cnm's out of the folder but it did not make any difference. So I moved them back in and manually moved the mail from the New Mail folder to the Main folder. However, even after marking subsequent new mail as 'read', when I close the account, it still hangs. Clicking the close button on the Pegasus window gives the usual Not responding message, so I click End Now, an error report is sent, I click close, but Pegasus is still running. The only way to close Pegasus is to choose End Process from the Processes tab in Task Manager.</P> <P>Why is not a good idea to run filtering rules which mark mail as read, then move the read mail into the main folder when Pegasus is opened?</P> <P>Thanks!</P>

[quote user="Greenman"]

Hi

Content control is disabled for this account.

I moved the larger cnm's out of the folder but it did not make any difference. So I moved them back in and manually moved the mail from the New Mail folder to the Main folder. However, even after marking subsequent new mail as 'read', when I close the account, it still hangs. Clicking the close button on the Pegasus window gives the usual Not responding message, so I click End Now, an error report is sent, I click close, but Pegasus is still running. The only way to close Pegasus is to choose End Process from the Processes tab in Task Manager.

Why is not a good idea to run filtering rules which mark mail as read, then move the read mail into the main folder when Pegasus is opened?

Thanks!

[/quote]

How did you manually move them from the new mail folder to the main folder if Pegasus mail will not open? Hanging in closing means that you are doing something that takes a long

time.  If you mark the new mail read and do not allow read mail to

remain in the new mail folder it's going to be moved to the folder you

have selected as the default folder.  Remember, hanging means the

program is doing something.  Leave it alone and in time it will

complete the task.  If you do not want the program to do this then set

it up so it does what you want.

FWIW, when running an archive account you'll get everything in this account.   The last thing you want to do is make it harder to get the new mail folder open so you can work the mail.  Filtering a few thousand message into a folder when you open the new mail folder takes time , especially when all you 'll be doing is again moving these messages to another folder manually.

[quote user="Greenman"]<p>Hi</p> <p>Content control is disabled for this account.</p> <p>I moved the larger cnm's out of the folder but it did not make any difference. So I moved them back in and manually moved the mail from the New Mail folder to the Main folder. However, even after marking subsequent new mail as 'read', when I close the account, it still hangs. Clicking the close button on the Pegasus window gives the usual Not responding message, so I click End Now, an error report is sent, I click close, but Pegasus is still running. The only way to close Pegasus is to choose End Process from the Processes tab in Task Manager.</p> <p>Why is not a good idea to run filtering rules which mark mail as read, then move the read mail into the main folder when Pegasus is opened?</p> <p>Thanks!</p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>How did you manually move them from the new mail folder to the main folder if Pegasus mail will not open? Hanging in closing means that you are doing something that takes a long time.  If you mark the new mail read and do not allow read mail to remain in the new mail folder it's going to be moved to the folder you have selected as the default folder.  Remember, hanging means the program is doing something.  Leave it alone and in time it will complete the task.  If you do not want the program to do this then set it up so it does what you want. </p><p>FWIW, when running an archive account you'll get everything in this account.   The last thing you want to do is make it harder to get the new mail folder open so you can work the mail.  Filtering a few thousand message into a folder when you open the new mail folder takes time , especially when all you 'll be doing is again moving these messages to another folder manually.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p>

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]

How did you manually move them from the new mail folder to the main folder if Pegasus mail will not open? Hanging in closing means that you are doing something that takes a long time.  If you mark the new mail read and do not allow read mail to remain in the new mail folder it's going to be moved to the folder you have selected as the default folder.  Remember, hanging means the program is doing something.  Leave it alone and in time it will complete the task.  If you do not want the program to do this then set it up so it does what you want.

FWIW, when running an archive account you'll get everything in this account.   The last thing you want to do is make it harder to get the new mail folder open so you can work the mail.  Filtering a few thousand message into a folder when you open the new mail folder takes time , especially when all you 'll be doing is again moving these messages to another folder manually.[/quote]

Hi Thomas

I marked the messages in the new mail folder as read, selected them (CTRL+A), then dragged them onto the Main Folder.

I am not saying that Pegasus will not open, that was solved by your first post. I was not clear in my third post (sorry) - I can open Pegasus, but when I close it, it hangs. It just sits there doing nothing. I access the account several times a day, so there are never more than 100 mails in the new mail folder. Pegasus is configured to move read mail into the main folder when it closes.

There is definitely something wrong, as Pegasus hangs when it is closed even if the new mail folder is empty.

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"] <P mce_keep="true">How did you manually move them from the new mail folder to the main folder if Pegasus mail will not open? Hanging in closing means that you are doing something that takes a long time.  If you mark the new mail read and do not allow read mail to remain in the new mail folder it's going to be moved to the folder you have selected as the default folder.  Remember, hanging means the program is doing something.  Leave it alone and in time it will complete the task.  If you do not want the program to do this then set it up so it does what you want. </P> <P>FWIW, when running an archive account you'll get everything in this account.   The last thing you want to do is make it harder to get the new mail folder open so you can work the mail.  Filtering a few thousand message into a folder when you open the new mail folder takes time , especially when all you 'll be doing is again moving these messages to another folder manually.[/quote]</P> <P>Hi Thomas</P> <P>I marked the messages in the new mail folder as read, selected them (CTRL+A), then dragged them onto the Main Folder.</P> <P>I am not saying that Pegasus will not open, that was solved by your first post. I was not clear in my third post (sorry) - I can open Pegasus, but when I close it, it hangs. It just sits there doing nothing. I access the account several times a day, so there are never more than 100 mails in the new mail folder. Pegasus is configured to move read mail into the main folder when it closes.</P> <P>There is definitely something wrong, as Pegasus hangs when it is closed even if the new mail folder is empty.</P>

[quote user="Greenman"][quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]

How did you manually move them from the new mail folder to the main folder if Pegasus mail will not open? Hanging in closing means that you are doing something that takes a long time.  If you mark the new mail read and do not allow read mail to remain in the new mail folder it's going to be moved to the folder you have selected as the default folder.  Remember, hanging means the program is doing something.  Leave it alone and in time it will complete the task.  If you do not want the program to do this then set it up so it does what you want.

FWIW, when running an archive account you'll get everything in this account.   The last thing you want to do is make it harder to get the new mail folder open so you can work the mail.  Filtering a few thousand message into a folder when you open the new mail folder takes time , especially when all you 'll be doing is again moving these messages to another folder manually.[/quote]

Hi Thomas

I marked the messages in the new mail folder as read, selected them (CTRL+A), then dragged them onto the Main Folder.

I am not saying that Pegasus will not open, that was solved by your first post. I was not clear in my third post (sorry) - I can open Pegasus, but when I close it, it hangs. It just sits there doing nothing. I access the account several times a day, so there are never more than 100 mails in the new mail folder. Pegasus is configured to move read mail into the main folder when it closes.

There is definitely something wrong, as Pegasus hangs when it is closed even if the new mail folder is empty.

[/quote]

Yes there is something wrong.  When WinPMail closes it writes the hierarch.pm, folstate.pm, state.pmj and pmail.ini files.  It also deletes the deleted messages folder if this is being used.  I suspect that one of these files are corrupted or the deleted messages folder has been trashed. 

First of all I would manually delete the deleted messages folder if being used. 

Second, I would try renaming all of these files one at a time (when WinPMail is NOT running) and open and close the program. 

If this does not fix the problem get back to us.  maybe someone else has more and better ideas.

One more thing.  Make sure you are allowing the read mail to stay in the new mail folder because if you are not that is going to move all of your mail to the main folder on closing and that can take a long time.

[quote user="Greenman"][quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"] <p mce_keep="true">How did you manually move them from the new mail folder to the main folder if Pegasus mail will not open? Hanging in closing means that you are doing something that takes a long time.  If you mark the new mail read and do not allow read mail to remain in the new mail folder it's going to be moved to the folder you have selected as the default folder.  Remember, hanging means the program is doing something.  Leave it alone and in time it will complete the task.  If you do not want the program to do this then set it up so it does what you want. </p> <p>FWIW, when running an archive account you'll get everything in this account.   The last thing you want to do is make it harder to get the new mail folder open so you can work the mail.  Filtering a few thousand message into a folder when you open the new mail folder takes time , especially when all you 'll be doing is again moving these messages to another folder manually.[/quote]</p> <p>Hi Thomas</p> <p>I marked the messages in the new mail folder as read, selected them (CTRL+A), then dragged them onto the Main Folder.</p> <p>I am not saying that Pegasus will not open, that was solved by your first post. I was not clear in my third post (sorry) - I can open Pegasus, but when I close it, it hangs. It just sits there doing nothing. I access the account several times a day, so there are never more than 100 mails in the new mail folder. Pegasus is configured to move read mail into the main folder when it closes.</p> <p>There is definitely something wrong, as Pegasus hangs when it is closed even if the new mail folder is empty.</p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Yes there is something wrong.  When WinPMail closes it writes the hierarch.pm, folstate.pm, state.pmj and pmail.ini files.  It also deletes the deleted messages folder if this is being used.  I suspect that one of these files are corrupted or the deleted messages folder has been trashed.  </p><p>First of all I would manually delete the deleted messages folder if being used.  </p><p>Second, I would try renaming all of these files one at a time (when WinPMail is NOT running) and open and close the program.  </p><p>If this does not fix the problem get back to us.  maybe someone else has more and better ideas.</p><p> </p><p>One more thing.  Make sure you are allowing the read mail to stay in the new mail folder because if you are not that is going to move all of your mail to the main folder on closing and that can take a long time.</p><p> </p><p> </p>

Thanks again, Thomas.

I renamed the heirarch.pm file, opened the account and allowed read mail to stay in the new mail folder. I can now open and close the account without problems. However, I am now unable to access the Main Folder. If I try to open it, Pegasus hangs. I've left it for more than an hour. I did a consistency check and Pegasus reported a data error:

name: main.PMM. Error opening folder master file

I've not come across this error before. Do you have any further suggestions please?

Thanks

<P>Thanks again, Thomas.</P> <P>I renamed the heirarch.pm file, opened the account and allowed read mail to stay in the new mail folder. I can now open and close the account without problems. However, I am now unable to access the Main Folder. If I try to open it, Pegasus hangs. I've left it for more than an hour. I did a consistency check and Pegasus reported a data error:</P> <P>name: main.PMM. Error opening folder master file</P> <P>I've not come across this error before. Do you have any further suggestions please?</P> <P>Thanks</P>

[quote user="Greenman"]

Thanks again, Thomas.

I renamed the heirarch.pm file, opened the account and allowed read mail to stay in the new mail folder. I can now open and close the account without problems. However, I am now unable to access the Main Folder. If I try to open it, Pegasus hangs. I've left it for more than an hour. I did a consistency check and Pegasus reported a data error:

name: main.PMM. Error opening folder master file

I've not come across this error before. Do you have any further suggestions please?

Thanks

[/quote]

This tells me that your main.PMM file is either totally corrupted or being held open in another application that does not allow access.   Got to your HOME mail directory and check to see if you have the files main.PMM and main.PMI.  If they are available then check the file sizes and report back.  FWIW, if you have a huge MAIN folder then one hour may not be enough. ;-(

[quote user="Greenman"]<p>Thanks again, Thomas.</p> <p>I renamed the heirarch.pm file, opened the account and allowed read mail to stay in the new mail folder. I can now open and close the account without problems. However, I am now unable to access the Main Folder. If I try to open it, Pegasus hangs. I've left it for more than an hour. I did a consistency check and Pegasus reported a data error:</p> <p>name: main.PMM. Error opening folder master file</p> <p>I've not come across this error before. Do you have any further suggestions please?</p> <p>Thanks</p><p>[/quote]</p><p>This tells me that your main.PMM file is either totally corrupted or being held open in another application that does not allow access.   Got to your HOME mail directory and check to see if you have the files main.PMM and main.PMI.  If they are available then check the file sizes and report back.  FWIW, if you have a huge MAIN folder then one hour may not be enough. ;-(</p><p> </p>

This tells me that your main.PMM file is either totally corrupted or being held open in another application that does not allow access.   Got to your HOME mail directory and check to see if you have the files main.PMM and main.PMI.  If they are available then check the file sizes and report back.  FWIW, if you have a huge MAIN folder then one hour may not be enough. ;-(

[/quote]

Thank you, Thomas.

The main folder contains 2679 messages and is 683,849kb. The index is 309kb

<P>[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]</P> <P>This tells me that your main.PMM file is either totally corrupted or being held open in another application that does not allow access.   Got to your HOME mail directory and check to see if you have the files main.PMM and main.PMI.  If they are available then check the file sizes and report back.  FWIW, if you have a huge MAIN folder then one hour may not be enough. ;-(</P> <P mce_keep="true">[/quote]</P> <P mce_keep="true">Thank you, Thomas.</P> <P mce_keep="true">The main folder contains 2679 messages and is 683,849kb. The index is 309kb</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

[quote user="Greenman"]

[/quote]

Thank you, Thomas.

The main folder contains 2679 messages and is 683,849kb. The index is 309kb

[/quote]

That's not all that big and should open in seconds.  Are you using some sort of anti-virus software that automatically check all files when opened?  I suspect there is something blocking access to the PMM file and it could be the anti-virus software if it's detected a virus in the file.

[quote user="Greenman"]<p>[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]</p> <p>This tells me that your main.PMM file is either totally corrupted or being held open in another application that does not allow access.   Got to your HOME mail directory and check to see if you have the files main.PMM and main.PMI.  If they are available then check the file sizes and report back.  FWIW, if you have a huge MAIN folder then one hour may not be enough. ;-(</p> <p mce_keep="true">[/quote]</p> <p mce_keep="true">Thank you, Thomas.</p> <p mce_keep="true">The main folder contains 2679 messages and is 683,849kb. The index is 309kb</p> <p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>That's not all that big and should open in seconds.  Are you using some sort of anti-virus software that automatically check all files when opened?  I suspect there is something blocking access to the PMM file and it could be the anti-virus software if it's detected a virus in the file.</p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft