Community Discussions and Support
How to setup several users with one mailbox

Thank you very much, that looks like it will work. I will set it up and let you know if I get any problems.

Thank you very much, that looks like it will work. I will set it up and let you know if I get any problems.

Help and ideas please.

I have recently joined an organisation using Pegasus with just one email name and one mailbox. The idea is that all 3 staff work cooperatively, answer any and all emails when they are in. For the external face of the organisation it is interesting way of working but seems OK, some pros some cons, but I am not trying to change it.

Internally there is a bottleneck as the times when 2 or all 3 of us are in the office are increasing, and it is only set up on one PC. Is there a way (e.g. using Public Folders?) that more than 1 person can use Pegasus at the same time on different PCs (networked) but still operate the same mailbox?

Or next best if this is not possible - have all the folders as Public folders except Inbox, so at least can see older emails and send emails, even if only the person on main PC can see Inbox?

Tony 

<p>Help and ideas please.</p><p>I have recently joined an organisation using Pegasus with just one email name and one mailbox. The idea is that all 3 staff work cooperatively, answer any and all emails when they are in. For the external face of the organisation it is interesting way of working but seems OK, some pros some cons, but I am not trying to change it. </p><p>Internally there is a bottleneck as the times when 2 or all 3 of us are in the office are increasing, and it is only set up on one PC. Is there a way (e.g. using Public Folders?) that more than 1 person can use Pegasus at the same time on different PCs (networked) but still operate the same mailbox? </p><p>Or next best if this is not possible - have all the folders as Public folders except Inbox, so at least can see older emails and send emails, even if only the person on main PC can see Inbox?</p><p>Tony </p>

I am not a guru, but I'm pretty sure the first thing the real guru's will ask before offering advice is "what type of networking are you using for your 3 computers?" 

I was faced with a similar problem when my wife aquired her own portable.  In our case I could not assume that the desk-top would be ON all the time, so the only solution was two separate installations of Pegasus.  I can use our ISP to share incoming email, since it has an option to copy all incoming mail for our standard joint address to my wife's private address.  We use Peg's 'identities' feature to select the appropriate 'from' address for outgoing mail, and a BCC when a copy on the other machine is wanted.

HTH - Richard Holford

<P>I am not a guru, but I'm pretty sure the first thing the real guru's will ask before offering advice is "what type of networking are you using for your 3 computers?"  </P> <P>I was faced with a similar problem when my wife aquired her own portable.  In our case I could not assume that the desk-top would be ON all the time, so the only solution was two separate installations of Pegasus.  I can use our ISP to share incoming email, since it has an option to copy all incoming mail for our standard joint address to my wife's private address.  We use Peg's 'identities' feature to select the appropriate 'from' address for outgoing mail, and a BCC when a copy on the other machine is wanted.</P> <P>HTH - Richard Holford</P>

> Help and ideas please.
>
> I have recently joined an organisation using Pegasus with just one
> email name and one mailbox. The idea is that all 3 staff work
> cooperatively, answer any and all emails when they are in. For the
> external face of the organization it is interesting way of working but
> seems OK, some pros some cons, but I am not trying to change it.

Ok, been there, done that.  I assume that there are at least 3 computer systems here and you networked.  Select one system to the the server, this system must be running at all times.

1.  Install WinPmail in the multiuser mode on the "server".  Use
    c:\pmail for the program; c:\pmail\mail for the mail
    directories.

2.  Run PCONFIG.exe and change the HOME and NEW mail directory
    specification to the \\server\vol\pmail\mail\~8 format.

3.  Go to the remote workstations and install a shortcut to the
    common program.

Ok, now you have the basic mail system setup.  You can send mail to
each other using Pegasus Mail usernames only.

Now all the users to check for the POP3 mail for your one account and filter via a new mail filter it to a public folder.  You can then all work the same public folder to reply to the mail.  I would recommend that you both reply to the sender and the single POP3 account so that all three can see the mail that was received and how it was answered.

You can also get free POP3 accounts from Yahoo or Google if you wish for each of the users to work unofficial mail.  You would use identities in this case to separate the mail.

Now all three can be checking the same account if you wish when they are online with Pegasus Mail They all have a separate inbox and mail folders so there is not conflict.
I would recommend the user with the server system be the one that does the checking to keep from pounding on your POP3 server too often.  

>
> Internally there is a bottleneck as the times when 2 or all 3 of us
> are in the office are increasing, and it is only set up on one PC. Is
> there a way (e.g. using Public Folders?) that more than 1 person can
> use Pegasus at the same time on different PCs (networked) but still
> operate the same mailbox?
>
> Or next best if this is not possible - have all the folders as Public
> folders except Inbox, so at least can see older emails and send
> emails, even if only the person on main PC can see Inbox?
>
> Tony
>

> Help and ideas please. > > I have recently joined an organisation using Pegasus with just one > email name and one mailbox. The idea is that all 3 staff work > cooperatively, answer any and all emails when they are in. For the > external face of the organization it is interesting way of working but > seems OK, some pros some cons, but I am not trying to change it. Ok, been there, done that.  I assume that there are at least 3 computer systems here and you networked.  Select one system to the the server, this system must be running at all times. 1.  Install WinPmail in the multiuser mode on the "server".  Use     c:\pmail for the program; c:\pmail\mail for the mail     directories. 2.  Run PCONFIG.exe and change the HOME and NEW mail directory     specification to the \\server\vol\pmail\mail\~8 format. 3.  Go to the remote workstations and install a shortcut to the     common program. Ok, now you have the basic mail system setup.  You can send mail to each other using Pegasus Mail usernames only. Now all the users to check for the POP3 mail for your one account and filter via a new mail filter it to a public folder.  You can then all work the same public folder to reply to the mail.  I would recommend that you both reply to the sender and the single POP3 account so that all three can see the mail that was received and how it was answered. You can also get free POP3 accounts from Yahoo or Google if you wish for each of the users to work unofficial mail.  You would use identities in this case to separate the mail. Now all three can be checking the same account if you wish when they are online with Pegasus Mail They all have a separate inbox and mail folders so there is not conflict. I would recommend the user with the server system be the one that does the checking to keep from pounding on your POP3 server too often.   > > Internally there is a bottleneck as the times when 2 or all 3 of us > are in the office are increasing, and it is only set up on one PC. Is > there a way (e.g. using Public Folders?) that more than 1 person can > use Pegasus at the same time on different PCs (networked) but still > operate the same mailbox? > > Or next best if this is not possible - have all the folders as Public > folders except Inbox, so at least can see older emails and send > emails, even if only the person on main PC can see Inbox? > > Tony >
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft