Pegasus Mail Suggestions
My Wishlist

YES!! I would really like to integrate my Palm address book with the one-to-come in Pegasus Mail v5. I'm not an Outlook fan, however, but PIM capabilities for Pegasus Mail would be great. I'm using Kontact on openSUSE now, but Evolution could be another option. And, och, why not link to Outlook too?

<p>YES!! I would really like to integrate my Palm address book with the one-to-come in Pegasus Mail v5. I'm not an Outlook fan, however, but PIM capabilities for Pegasus Mail would be great. I'm using Kontact on openSUSE now, but Evolution could be another option. And, och, why not link to Outlook too?</p><p> </p>

Firstly, I'm really delighted to see Pegasus support improving and that this great e-mail client is not dead. Here are some suggestions that I sent to David a while back to see if anyone else thinks they're useful...

- Integration with Outlook contacts.
I know... I also hate Outlook (at least for mail) but I do use it for
contacts because it synchronises with my Sony Ericsson phone. I would
love if Pegasus could automatically talk to Outlook to get contacts
from there. This would seem to be technically possible because Sony
Ericsson's sync software is able to query the Outlook contacts DB. A
poor man's alternative would be an export/import option that I could
do manually from time to time, but clearly this is less convenient.

- Improved Preview mode
I read my mail almost exclusively in Preview mode so I would like to
see this improved quite a bit (more below)

- Attachments pane
Rather than having to switch between message and attachment views,
please add an attachments pane.

- Viewing all addresses in preview mode
The message address bar only shows the From and Subject field so to
see the CC field, I have to open the message fully. I would like to
be able to see all addresses (and copy them) in preview mode

- Crashes when viewing HTML mail in preview mode
I still get these often enough for them to be annoying. They are not
simply related to the message in question but also (somehow) to the
state of the app. In other words, I might preview a HTML mail and get
a crash, restart and preview it again successfully. I can't narrow
this down much more at this point but I would often leave Pegasus
running for days on end.

- Multiple SMTP support
Thunderbird has a nice extension which puts a button on your toolbar
that allows quick switching between any SMTP servers that you have
configured. Very useful!

<p>Firstly, I'm really delighted to see Pegasus support improving and that this great e-mail client is not dead. Here are some suggestions that I sent to David a while back to see if anyone else thinks they're useful...</p><p>- Integration with Outlook contacts. I know... I also hate Outlook (at least for mail) but I do use it for contacts because it synchronises with my Sony Ericsson phone. I would love if Pegasus could automatically talk to Outlook to get contacts from there. This would seem to be technically possible because Sony Ericsson's sync software is able to query the Outlook contacts DB. A poor man's alternative would be an export/import option that I could do manually from time to time, but clearly this is less convenient. - Improved Preview mode I read my mail almost exclusively in Preview mode so I would like to see this improved quite a bit (more below) - Attachments pane Rather than having to switch between message and attachment views, please add an attachments pane. - Viewing all addresses in preview mode The message address bar only shows the From and Subject field so to see the CC field, I have to open the message fully. I would like to be able to see all addresses (and copy them) in preview mode - Crashes when viewing HTML mail in preview mode I still get these often enough for them to be annoying. They are not simply related to the message in question but also (somehow) to the state of the app. In other words, I might preview a HTML mail and get a crash, restart and preview it again successfully. I can't narrow this down much more at this point but I would often leave Pegasus running for days on end. - Multiple SMTP support Thunderbird has a nice extension which puts a button on your toolbar that allows quick switching between any SMTP servers that you have configured. Very useful! </p>

[quote user="lemo"]

- Integration with Outlook contacts.

[/quote]

Lemo asks for integration with Outlook contacts.  Well it would be great to be able to make use of alternative format address books.  Outlook would be one but others include the Palm desktop.  No doubt there are lots of ways of achieving this but it would certainly be a great benefit to be able to keep a single address book which, when updated, meant all locations were in synch :)

Andrew

[quote user="lemo"]<p>- Integration with Outlook contacts. </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Lemo asks for integration with Outlook contacts.  Well it would be great to be able to make use of alternative format address books.  Outlook would be one but others include the Palm desktop.  No doubt there are lots of ways of achieving this but it would certainly be a great benefit to be able to keep a single address book which, when updated, meant all locations were in synch :)</p><p> Andrew</p><p>  </p>

- Multiple SMTP support

You can handle this by using multiple identities. Duplicate the identity and assign the duplicate a new SMTP server. Then select the appropriate ID from the ID drop-down on the toolbar, the Special tab of the message editor, or use the option to just add it to the main page of the message editor. I do this quite frequently to access different SMTP servers based on where I am, and where the message is going.

<p><i>- Multiple SMTP support</i> </p><p>You can handle this by using multiple identities. Duplicate the identity and assign the duplicate a new SMTP server. Then select the appropriate ID from the ID drop-down on the toolbar, the Special tab of the message editor, or use the option to just add it to the main page of the message editor. I do this quite frequently to access different SMTP servers based on where I am, and where the message is going. </p>

To reply in part. The Outlook Contacts could be loaded into Pegasus Mail via my extension PM2MSM32. I was working on completing this when the new Pegasus Mail interface was given limited publication. That publication referred to a new Address Book format and access functions. So I stopped work in this area until those specs were available.

In reply to the crashes in Html mail, I have no easy answer, but I am trying to protect Pegasus Mail from crashing with me [:(]   Please continue to forward troubled messages to me, so I can develop the best defences.

Martin  (mailto:martin.ireland@gov.ab.ca)

<p>To reply in part. The Outlook Contacts could be loaded into Pegasus Mail via my extension PM2MSM32. I was working on completing this when the new Pegasus Mail interface was given limited publication. That publication referred to a new Address Book format and access functions. So I stopped work in this area until those specs were available.</p><p>In reply to the crashes in Html mail, I have no easy answer, but I am trying to protect Pegasus Mail from crashing with me [:(]   Please continue to forward troubled messages to me, so I can develop the best defences.</p><p>Martin  (mailto:martin.ireland@gov.ab.ca) </p>

Rob: It's a fair point that you can do this using identities but associating the SMTP server with identities is  a bad idea. Thunderbird breaks this association and it works well. The SMTP server is more location-dependent than identity-dependent and I have 4 that I use regularly. With your approach, if I need to change my signature (say) I would need to make this change in 4 identities. It's not the end of the world but...

Martin: Where can I find  your add-on and does it only work with Exchange Server (I use Outlook standalone). To give you a laugh, the subscription confirmation message that I got when I joined this forum crashed PM :-) I've deleted it now but it didn't crash it second time around anyway.

<p>Rob: It's a fair point that you can do this using identities but associating the SMTP server with identities is  a bad idea. Thunderbird breaks this association and it works well. The SMTP server is more location-dependent than identity-dependent and I have 4 that I use regularly. With your approach, if I need to change my signature (say) I would need to make this change in 4 identities. It's not the end of the world but...</p><p> </p><p>Martin: Where can I find  your add-on and does it only work with Exchange Server (I use Outlook standalone). To give you a laugh, the subscription confirmation message that I got when I joined this forum crashed PM :-) I've deleted it now but it didn't crash it second time around anyway. </p>

Martin and other beta members are allowed to publish add-ons they have either written or tested/approved here at the community. Don't know if you've done so Martin, but you're most welcome to do it.

Martin and other beta members are allowed to publish add-ons they have either written or tested/approved here at the community. Don't know if you've done so Martin, but you're most welcome to do it.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft