Pegasus Mail Suggestions
Reminder message

> ..... In such an environment, "scope creep" can become very nasty, very quickly
> (i.e. once the calendar feature is in, it can never be removed, and will consume
> development and maintenance time from now to eternity).

From David's messages I understand that the calendar function is in or at least high on his agenda anyhow unless I have misreads his indications. And if funding doe not last ... well it's up to us to give that a go.
Cheers
Thomas

<p>> ..... In such an environment, "scope creep" can become very nasty, very quickly > (i.e. once the calendar feature is in, it can never be removed, and will consume > development and maintenance time from now to eternity).</p><p>From David's messages I understand that the calendar function is in or at least high on his agenda anyhow unless I have misreads his indications. And if funding doe not last ... well it's up to us to give that a go. Cheers Thomas  </p>

Personally, I think a calendar feature is unnecessary.

I would instead benefit from a simple reminder message feature : I send a message to myself, like "Dentist in one hour", and it appears in my mailbox at the time I chose, like one hour before appointment. A simple message, maybe with the association of a chosen sound and things like that.

About the display of days and weeks and so on, I don't need it. 

<p>Personally, I think a calendar feature is unnecessary.</p><p> </p><p>I would instead benefit from a simple reminder message feature : I send a message to myself, like "Dentist in one hour", and it appears in my mailbox at the time I chose, like one hour before appointment. A simple message, maybe with the association of a chosen sound and things like that.</p><p> </p><p>About the display of days and weeks and so on, I don't need it. </p>

I think it's better to have a calender integrated.

If you have calender support, showing remainder messages of events in the calender

should be easy.

<P>I think it's better to have a calender integrated.</P><P>If you have calender support, showing remainder messages of events in the calender </P><P>should be easy.</P>

Hi !

There is a way of making everyone happy I guess. Why not add a tickbox in the preferences menu where one could enable the new calendar functionalities or disable and continue using the present one ? Or maybe it this too complicated, and better to say that people who do not need a calendar simply should not use it. Anyway, I am sure David will find a clever way of implementing this feature.

Cheers !

Ginhead. 

<p>Hi !</p><p>There is a way of making everyone happy I guess. Why not add a tickbox in the preferences menu where one could enable the new calendar functionalities or disable and continue using the present one ? Or maybe it this too complicated, and better to say that people who do not need a calendar simply should not use it. Anyway, I am sure David will find a clever way of implementing this feature.</p><p>Cheers !</p><p>Ginhead. </p>

Oh I'm sure he will do well anyway.

It is just my opinion that an email application is not more related to a calendar than any other application on a computer. It is just an arbitrary association from MS Outlook imho. 

<p>Oh I'm sure he will do well anyway.</p><p> </p><p>It is just my opinion that an email application is not more related to a calendar than any other application on a computer. It is just an arbitrary association from MS Outlook imho. </p>

[quote user="arnaudherve"]

Personally, I think a calendar feature is unnecessary.

I would instead benefit from a simple reminder message feature : I send a message to myself, like "Dentist in one hour", and it appears in my mailbox at the time I chose, like one hour before appointment. A simple message, maybe with the association of a chosen sound and things like that.

[/quote]

A few weeks ago, I suggested creating a "delayed email sending" feature - I think that might actually be able to take care of a reminder feature that you are suggesting: You send an email to yourself, but it remains in the mail queue until the delayed send time/date is reached.

[quote user="arnaudherve"]<p>Personally, I think a calendar feature is unnecessary.  </p><p>I would instead benefit from a simple reminder message feature : I send a message to myself, like "Dentist in one hour", and it appears in my mailbox at the time I chose, like one hour before appointment. A simple message, maybe with the association of a chosen sound and things like that.</p> <p>[/quote] </p><p>  A few weeks ago, I suggested creating a "delayed email sending" feature - I think that might actually be able to take care of a reminder feature that you are suggesting: You send an email to yourself, but it remains in the mail queue until the delayed send time/date is reached. </p>

Delayed email sending would indeed be very handy.

Like for example my clients have something created for them at 8 tomorrow, and I want them to receive the news at once so they can immediately begin to enjoy it. But I am working the day before preparing the messages, their display, etc.

<p>Delayed email sending would indeed be very handy.</p><p> </p><p>Like for example my clients have something created for them at 8 tomorrow, and I want them to receive the news at once so they can immediately begin to enjoy it. But I am working the day before preparing the messages, their display, etc. </p>

Concerning functionality and additions in general and calendar/PIM in particular.

What I love about Pegasus Mail and why I use it is its wealth of functionality from which I can choose to best serve my needs. Requirements evolve and change with time but I can still use PM as it is so diverse that I most likely will find a solution for the new demand. I believe that most of the PM user probably only use a fraction of what is available in PM anyhow but it is that specific combination of functionality I can choose from which makes it so special for me. What about the rest? Well, it sits there and mostly I wouldn't even notice it is there, just waiting to be discovered ;-) . E.g. Spamhalter, a function I did not have to use before but just a year ago SPAM became unmanageable and I am so glad that I could switch Spamhalter on - great function and works like a charm!!

Even with all what it can do PM is still very slim and far away from eating up unnecessary computing resources, even when a calendar/PIM would be built or plugged in ;-)

Cheers

Thomas

<p>Concerning functionality and additions in general and calendar/PIM in particular.</p><p>What I love about Pegasus Mail and why I use it is its wealth of functionality from which I can choose to best serve my needs. Requirements evolve and change with time but I can still use PM as it is so diverse that I most likely will find a solution for the new demand. I believe that most of the PM user probably only use a fraction of what is available in PM anyhow but it is that specific combination of functionality I can choose from which makes it so special for me. What about the rest? Well, it sits there and mostly I wouldn't even notice it is there, just waiting to be discovered ;-) . E.g. Spamhalter, a function I did not have to use before but just a year ago SPAM became unmanageable and I am so glad that I could switch Spamhalter on - great function and works like a charm!! Even with all what it can do PM is still very slim and far away from eating up unnecessary computing resources, even when a calendar/PIM would be built or plugged in ;-) Cheers Thomas </p>

[quote user="tmstein"]

(snip)

Even with all what it can do PM is still very slim and far away from eating up unnecessary computing resources, even when a calendar/PIM would be built or plugged in ;-)

Cheers

Thomas
[/quote]

I guess it's not the CPU cycles or computing resources that worry me.  One must consider that the addition of a major calendar feature consumes cycles of David's time (not only for development, but for ongoing maintenance and bug fixes).  As we all know, PMail and Mercury are developed on a shoestring and resources are tight.  In such an environment, "scope creep" can become very nasty, very quickly (i.e. once the calendar feature is in, it can never be removed, and will consume development and maintenance time from now to eternity).

[quote user="tmstein"]<P>(snip)</P><P> Even with all what it can do PM is still very slim and far away from eating up unnecessary computing resources, even when a calendar/PIM would be built or plugged in ;-) Cheers Thomas [/quote]</P><P>I guess it's not the CPU cycles or computing resources that worry me.  One must consider that the addition of a major calendar feature consumes cycles of David's time (not only for development, but for ongoing maintenance and bug fixes).  As we all know, PMail and Mercury are developed on a shoestring and resources are tight.  In such an environment, "scope creep" can become very nasty, very quickly (i.e. once the calendar feature is in, it can never be removed, and will consume development and maintenance time from now to eternity).</P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft