Pegasus Mail Suggestions
Filtering Rulesets for IMAP

Thomas,

You are correct in the assumption as to how I process the emails - read/delete then move either to another IMAP folder or local filestore. Do not use the preview mode. Understand the steps you have outlined and will make a few rules later tonight.

Thank you for the insight. Time to play. 

<p>Thomas,</p><p>   You are correct in the assumption as to how I process the emails - read/delete then move either to another IMAP folder or local filestore. Do not use the preview mode. Understand the steps you have outlined and will make a few rules later tonight.</p><p>  Thank you for the insight. Time to play. </p>

Currently, it seems the filtering rules work with POP3 mail only. Since Pegasus is IMAP client also it would be great if the ruleset would work for IMAP accounts / folders. ie: I have two accounts one POP3 and the other IMAP. Some IMAP emails will be moved to my local filestore once they have be read or to another IMAP folder (other than InBox). Currently I must highlight then 'Move' selecting the target folder, does not matter if local or IMAP folder. This is error prone and time consuming when there are a more than a few emails (normal is 200-250 emails a day).

If I am mistaken on filtering please let me know. 

<p>Currently, it seems the filtering rules work with POP3 mail only. Since Pegasus is IMAP client also it would be great if the ruleset would work for IMAP accounts / folders. ie: I have two accounts one POP3 and the other IMAP. Some IMAP emails will be moved to my local filestore once they have be read or to another IMAP folder (other than InBox). Currently I must highlight then 'Move' selecting the target folder, does not matter if local or IMAP folder. This is error prone and time consuming when there are a more than a few emails (normal is 200-250 emails a day).</p><p> </p><p>If I am mistaken on filtering please let me know. </p>

You can create On Open filter sets and when you open the Imap folder, it will filter messages. This is what I currently do. Now, the down side to it is that if the folder is already opened, the filter does not run on new mail, however, clicking the folder again will cause the filters to run. It's not as nice as would be what you suggest, but it's better than moving the messages manually.

Jeremy

<P>You can create On Open filter sets and when you open the Imap folder, it will filter messages. This is what I currently do. Now, the down side to it is that if the folder is already opened, the filter does not run on new mail, however, clicking the folder again will cause the filters to run. It's not as nice as would be what you suggest, but it's better than moving the messages manually.</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P>Jeremy</P>

Hello!

As mentioned in the previous posting, you can use filtering rules for IMAP-folders as well. However, what you cannot use is the New Mail filtering rules; they are applied only to messages in the New Mail folder.

If I understand your description correctly, your workflow is to read the new messages that have arrived in your IMAP-mailbox (when they are still in the IMAP-mailbox), then you move or delete them  after reading them.
The so-called on-close filtering rules may help here. The basic idea is: you open a folder (in a folder window of its own); then you may read or delete the messages of that folder; and after closing the folder window, the on-close filtering rules are applied to those messages that are still in that folder (i.e. messages that you have not manually deleted after reading them).
You have to create a General rule set. You can find them at "Tools" | "Mail filtering rules" | "Create/edit general rule set" where you can choose to create a new general rule set or to edit an existing one. Just add the rules you want to have. Having created the rules, you have to tell Pegasus Mail which general rule set should be attached to which of your folders. In the folder list, click on the folder to which you want to attach a the general rule set. Right-click on the folder and click "Attach folder-close filter set", then you can choose the appropriate general rule set.

Instead, you may attach an on-open general rule set (as suggested in the posting above). There are two differences between them:
(a) The basic idea of an on-open rule set is to filter your messages before you read them. When using an on-close rule set, you usually read the messages before they get filtered by the rule set (so you can delete some messages when reading them).
(b) When using preview mode, an on-open rule set can be set to to start immediately as soon as you (left-)click on the folder in the folder list; you can choose in Pegasus Mail's setting whether you want the on-open rules to be applied as soon as you click on the folder ("Tools" | "Options" | "Incoming mail" | "Preview mode settings" | "Apply filtering rules when previewing folders").
Unlike that, the on-close rules only work if you close a folder window of its own; when using preview, the on-close filtering rules do not start when you switch from one folder to another one (i.e. you have to open a folder in its own folder window, then close that window in order to have the on-close rules applied).

Hello! As mentioned in the previous posting, you can use filtering rules for IMAP-folders as well. However, what you cannot use is the New Mail filtering rules; they are applied only to messages in the New Mail folder. If I understand your description correctly, your workflow is to read the new messages that have arrived in your IMAP-mailbox (when they are still in the IMAP-mailbox), then you move or delete them  after reading them. The so-called <I>on-close filtering rules</I> may help here. The basic idea is: you open a folder (in a folder window of its own); then you may read or delete the messages of that folder; and after closing the folder window, the on-close filtering rules are applied to those messages that are still in that folder (i.e. messages that you have not manually deleted after reading them). You have to create a General rule set. You can find them at "Tools" | "Mail filtering rules" | "Create/edit general rule set" where you can choose to create a new general rule set or to edit an existing one. Just add the rules you want to have. Having created the rules, you have to tell Pegasus Mail which general rule set should be attached to which of your folders. In the folder list, click on the folder to which you want to attach a the general rule set. Right-click on the folder and click "Attach folder-close filter set", then you can choose the appropriate general rule set. Instead, you may attach an <I>on-open</I> general rule set (as suggested in the posting above). There are two differences between them: (a) The basic idea of an on-open rule set is to filter your messages <I>before</I> you read them. When using an on-close rule set, you usually read the messages before they get filtered by the rule set (so you can delete some messages when reading them). (b) When using preview mode, an on-open rule set can be set to to start immediately as soon as you (left-)click on the folder in the folder list; you can choose in Pegasus Mail's setting whether you want the on-open rules to be applied as soon as you click on the folder ("Tools" | "Options" | "Incoming mail" | "Preview mode settings" | "Apply filtering rules when previewing folders"). Unlike that, the on-close rules only work if you close a folder window of its own; when using preview, the on-close filtering rules do not start when you switch from one folder to another one (i.e. you have to open a folder in its own folder window, then close that window in order to have the on-close rules applied).
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft