Community Discussions and Support
Configure POP3 Server for Acess with Outlook + MailBee

Hi Chris, we have the same setup as you.

Mailbee WebMail is set to default for all new users to use IMAP.

The outlook clients and PDA clients are beyond our control, but to the outside world we do not expose IMAP - so they are bound to use POP3.

This setup works perfect in 95% of all cases where the users are either in the office or on the road.

For the reminder 5% we tell them to set the POP3 setting to leave the messages on the server for x number of days. Some users share computers, some exchange and answer inbound general mail from different computers and for most clients this setting does not duplicate messages.

Regarding Mailbee, the setup is also to make duplicate copies within the database. You can set up Mailbee to synchronize in direct mode, full message, headers or not - meaning copying inbound messages and treat them only within the webmail client. Currently we're working with Afterlogic in the beta process of v4.1 in ASP.NET.

<P>Hi Chris, we have the same setup as you.</P> <P>Mailbee WebMail is set to default for all new users to use IMAP.</P> <P>The outlook clients and PDA clients are beyond our control, but to the outside world we do not expose IMAP - so they are bound to use POP3.</P> <P>This setup works perfect in 95% of all cases where the users are either in the office or on the road.</P> <P>For the reminder 5% we tell them to set the POP3 setting to leave the messages on the server for x number of days. Some users share computers, some exchange and answer inbound general mail from different computers and for most clients this setting does not duplicate messages.</P> <P>Regarding Mailbee, the setup is also to make duplicate copies within the database. You can set up Mailbee to synchronize in direct mode, full message, headers or not - meaning copying inbound messages and treat them only within the webmail client. Currently we're working with Afterlogic in the beta process of v4.1 in ASP.NET.</P>

Hi all!

I am quite new with this mail topic but I succeeded in use of Mercury for about 1/2 year. We have also an MS Exckange Server but are not really happy for different reasons. Therefore I moved the mail accounts of one domain to Mercury. Runs fine, no problems.

We are trying out MailBee (and other products that supports ASP on Win-Environment) to access using POP3 from the Web to Mercury. However we only see the incoming/unread Mails but not the already read ones. Finally I got to the settings in the POP3 server, specially the flag "Offer only unread mail to connected clients". Then it worked fine with the Web Access.

BUT: Connecting with the Outlook Client made problems: Each time you click "Send/Receive" the whole mailbox gets downloaded therefore after 4 clicks you have every mail 4 times. In Outlook the activation of the option "Delete mails from server" will lead to troubles because then I would not see all the mails from the web (only the new ones that came in after the synchro with O-look).

The intention is to be able to store the Mails in Outlook (e.g. on a Notebook for offline work) but also use a web access to all mails of the mailbox.
(The users are used to this possibility by Exch.)

- Which configuraiton is required to get these results?
- Is there any alternative way to come to this intention?

Thank you in advance

Chris 

<p>Hi all!</p><p>I am quite new with this mail topic but I succeeded in use of Mercury for about 1/2 year. We have also an MS Exckange Server but are not really happy for different reasons. Therefore I moved the mail accounts of one domain to Mercury. Runs fine, no problems. </p><p>We are trying out MailBee (and other products that supports ASP on Win-Environment) to access using POP3 from the Web to Mercury. However we only see the incoming/unread Mails but not the already read ones. Finally I got to the settings in the POP3 server, specially the flag "Offer only unread mail to connected clients". Then it worked fine with the Web Access.</p><p>BUT: Connecting with the Outlook Client made problems: Each time you click "Send/Receive" the whole mailbox gets downloaded therefore after 4 clicks you have every mail 4 times. In Outlook the activation of the option "Delete mails from server" will lead to troubles because then I would not see all the mails from the web (only the new ones that came in after the synchro with O-look). </p><p>The intention is to be able to store the Mails in Outlook (e.g. on a Notebook for offline work) but also use a web access to all mails of the mailbox. (The users are used to this possibility by Exch.) </p><p>- Which configuraiton is required to get these results? - Is there any alternative way to come to this intention? </p><p>Thank you in advance</p><p>Chris </p>

Multiple accesses to a POP3 account requires that read mail be made available to all POP3 access.  Since Outlook does not have the capability to do this why not simply move Outlook to IMAP4 and store all of the mail on the mail server.  Now both MailBee and Outlook can be working in the same mailbox without difficulties.  You can move mail into local folders on Outlook as well if desired.

Personally though I use SquirrelMail for this sort of access since it uses IMAP4 not POP3 and can access all the mail folders as well as the new mail folder.  Since read mail you want to keep can be moved to another folder for other IMAP4 clients to access you can set the POP3 server to only offer up unread mail.  You can do a quick test of your setup using IMAP4 with the web site mail2web.com to see if this would be compatible with your Outlook use.

<p>Multiple accesses to a POP3 account requires that read mail be made available to all POP3 access.  Since Outlook does not have the capability to do this why not simply move Outlook to IMAP4 and store all of the mail on the mail server.  Now both MailBee and Outlook can be working in the same mailbox without difficulties.  You can move mail into local folders on Outlook as well if desired. Personally though I use SquirrelMail for this sort of access since it uses IMAP4 not POP3 and can access all the mail folders as well as the new mail folder.  Since read mail you want to keep can be moved to another folder for other IMAP4 clients to access you can set the POP3 server to only offer up unread mail.  You can do a quick test of your setup using IMAP4 with the web site <a href="http://mail2web.com" title="mail2web.com" mce_href="http://mail2web.com">mail2web.com</a> to see if this would be compatible with your Outlook use. </p><p> </p><p> </p>

Thank you for this fast answer. I just thought any solution like this.

If I understand you right, I have the possibility to configure

a)
Outlook  using IMAP
Mailbee using POP

b)
Outlook using POP
Mailbee using IMAP (its another product).

Are there any advantages/disandvanteges. Me aim is to integrte the web access into our webbased database system, but I dont know what mail servers our customers have. It should work with most servers.

As I am also a newbe to the whole mail subject i got the impression that the IMAP is more powerful than the POP. Is this correct.

Thank you again for your fast reply.

Chris

<p>Thank you for this fast answer. I just thought any solution like this.</p><p>If I understand you right, I have the possibility to configure </p><p>a) Outlook  using IMAP Mailbee using POP</p><p>b) Outlook using POP Mailbee using IMAP (its another product).</p><p>Are there any advantages/disandvanteges. Me aim is to integrte the web access into our webbased database system, but I dont know what mail servers our customers have. It should work with most servers.</p><p>As I am also a newbe to the whole mail subject i got the impression that the IMAP is more powerful than the POP. Is this correct.</p><p>Thank you again for your fast reply.</p><p>Chris  </p>

[quote user="cw23"]

Thank you for this fast answer. I just thought any solution like this.

If I understand you right, I have the possibility to configure

a)
Outlook  using IMAP
Mailbee using POP

b)
Outlook using POP
Mailbee using IMAP (its another product).

Are there any advantages/disandvanteges. Me aim is to integrte the web access into our webbased database system, but I dont know what mail servers our customers have. It should work with most servers.

As I am also a newbe to the whole mail subject i got the impression that the IMAP is more powerful than the POP. Is this correct.

Thank you again for your fast reply.

Chris

[/quote]

The best  option for multiple access from different locations and various mail clients is IMAP4.  There are a few disadvantages

1.    It can be slow when working with large folders over a slow link.

2.    You are storing all the mail on the server and it does use up disk space.

3.    If you have a lot of IMAP4 users working concurrently it does take a bigger/faster/better mail server.

4.    It is a 'busy" protocol, POP3 is much simpler since it only looks at the new mail folder. 

The real advantage is that all mail is stored in the same place.  When you backup the server all mail is backed up as well.  You can do a mix and match with some mail on the server and some mail held locally but this does require that the users cooperate and based on my experience they are a bit slow in deleting anything!.

[quote user="cw23"]<p>Thank you for this fast answer. I just thought any solution like this.</p><p>If I understand you right, I have the possibility to configure </p><p>a) Outlook  using IMAP Mailbee using POP</p><p>b) Outlook using POP Mailbee using IMAP (its another product).</p><p>Are there any advantages/disandvanteges. Me aim is to integrte the web access into our webbased database system, but I dont know what mail servers our customers have. It should work with most servers.</p><p>As I am also a newbe to the whole mail subject i got the impression that the IMAP is more powerful than the POP. Is this correct.</p><p>Thank you again for your fast reply.</p><p>Chris  </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>The best  option for multiple access from different locations and various mail clients is IMAP4.  There are a few disadvantages </p><p>1.    It can be slow when working with large folders over a slow link. </p><p>2.    You are storing all the mail on the server and it does use up disk space.</p><p>3.    If you have a lot of IMAP4 users working concurrently it does take a bigger/faster/better mail server.</p><p>4.    It is a 'busy" protocol, POP3 is much simpler since it only looks at the new mail folder. </p><p>The real advantage is that all mail is stored in the same place.  When you backup the server all mail is backed up as well.  You can do a mix and match with some mail on the server and some mail held locally but this does require that the users cooperate and based on my experience they are a bit slow in deleting anything!. </p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft