Community Discussions and Support
error msg - 5:connect failed 2726

I appear to have solved the problem by adding the command line parameters -Z 1024 to the shortcut, as suggested by Thomas Nimmersqern in this thread.  Thank you Thomas!  Both laptop and desktop are now receiving normally.

Now to try and install it on a new Vista laptop...

(I am still suspicious of Flashplayer upgrade...)

<P>I appear to have solved the problem by adding the command line parameters -Z 1024 to the shortcut, as suggested by Thomas Nimmersqern in this thread.  Thank you Thomas!  Both laptop and desktop are now receiving normally.</P> <P>Now to try and install it on a new Vista laptop...</P> <P>(I am still suspicious of Flashplayer upgrade...)</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

I recently installed Pmail 4.41 under Windows XP. No matter how I try to configure it to connect to my dial-up ISP, I always get the error msg - "5:Connect Failed 2726".

I've tried closing all security/anti-virus programs, canceling firewall protection, etc, etc. - all with the same results.

Any words of wisdom from those who have had similar problems?

Thanks!  

I recently installed Pmail 4.41 under Windows XP. No matter how I try to configure it to connect to my dial-up ISP, I always get the error msg - "5:Connect Failed 2726". I've tried closing all security/anti-virus programs, canceling firewall protection, etc, etc. - all with the same results. Any words of wisdom from those who have had similar problems? Thanks!  

[quote user="LSteele"]I recently installed Pmail 4.41 under Windows XP. No matter how I try to configure it to connect to my dial-up ISP, I always get the error msg - "5:Connect Failed 2726".

I've tried closing all security/anti-virus programs, canceling firewall protection, etc, etc. - all with the same results.

Any words of wisdom from those who have had similar problems?

Thanks!  
[/quote]

I assume that the system is doing a dialup when you make this request.  My only guess is that there is still some firewall blocking the access to the outside world on ports 110 & 25.  Can you telnet into these ports?

<p>[quote user="LSteele"]I recently installed Pmail 4.41 under Windows XP. No matter how I try to configure it to connect to my dial-up ISP, I always get the error msg - "5:Connect Failed 2726". I've tried closing all security/anti-virus programs, canceling firewall protection, etc, etc. - all with the same results. Any words of wisdom from those who have had similar problems? Thanks!   [/quote]</p><p> </p><p>I assume that the system is doing a dialup when you make this request.  My only guess is that there is still some firewall blocking the access to the outside world on ports 110 & 25.  Can you telnet into these ports?</p><p> </p>

No dialup upon request - dialup connection already established and online.  Hate to be dumb, but I don't know what "telnet" is.  As for some other firewall . . .

I disabled the firewall within Windows security section, I stopped Norton's email scanning (just in case) and disabled Norton's auto-protect, closed/stopped Webroot Spy sweeper (again, just in case) - and the error msg is all I can get.  I just don't know what else to look for that may be interfering? No idea what else I could disable.

<p>No dialup upon request - dialup connection already established and online.  Hate to be dumb, but I don't know what "telnet" is.  As for some other firewall . . .</p><p>I disabled the firewall within Windows security section, I stopped Norton's email scanning (just in case) and disabled Norton's auto-protect, closed/stopped Webroot Spy sweeper (again, just in case) - and the error msg is all I can get.  I just don't know what else to look for that may be interfering? No idea what else I could disable. </p>

[quote user="LSteele"]

No dialup upon request - dialup connection already established and online.  Hate to be dumb, but I don't know what "telnet" is.  As for some other firewall . . .

Try Start | Run telnet <your host name> 25  This should connect to your SMTP host to send mail.  If you get a connection enter ehlo <your email doman name> and you should see something like the following.  I munged the server name since it's not one of mine.

220 servername ESMTP server ready.
ehlo thomas
250-servername Hello thomas; ESMTPs are:
250-TIME
250-SIZE 0
250-AUTH=LOGIN
250-AUTH CRAM-MD5 LOGIN
250-STARTTLS
250 HELP

I disabled the firewall within Windows security section, I stopped Norton's email scanning (just in case) and disabled Norton's auto-protect, closed/stopped Webroot Spy sweeper (again, just in case) - and the error msg is all I can get.  I just don't know what else to look for that may be interfering? No idea what else I could disable.

Turning off Norton may or may not get it out of the path.  The first thing I do with any system I'm asked to fix is to remove all traces of Norton.  It's been nothing but trouble since Peter Norton sold it to Symantec.

[/quote]
[quote user=&quot;LSteele&quot;]&lt;p&gt;No dialup upon request - dialup connection already established and online.&amp;nbsp; Hate to be dumb, but I don&#039;t know what &quot;telnet&quot; is.&amp;nbsp; As for some other firewall . . .&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;b&gt;Try Start | Run telnet &amp;lt;your host name&amp;gt; 25&amp;nbsp; This should connect to your SMTP host to send mail.&amp;nbsp; If you get a connection enter ehlo &amp;lt;your email doman name&amp;gt; and you should see something like the following.&amp;nbsp; I munged the server name since it&#039;s not one of mine. &lt;/b&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;b&gt;220 servername ESMTP server ready. ehlo thomas 250-servername Hello thomas; ESMTPs are: 250-TIME 250-SIZE 0 250-AUTH=LOGIN 250-AUTH CRAM-MD5 LOGIN 250-STARTTLS 250 HELP&lt;/b&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I disabled the firewall within Windows security section, I stopped Norton&#039;s email scanning (just in case) and disabled Norton&#039;s auto-protect, closed/stopped Webroot Spy sweeper (again, just in case) - and the error msg is all I can get.&amp;nbsp; I just don&#039;t know what else to look for that may be interfering? No idea what else I could disable.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;b&gt;Turning off Norton may or may not get it out of the path.&amp;nbsp; The first thing I do with any system I&#039;m asked to fix is to remove all traces of Norton.&amp;nbsp; It&#039;s been nothing but trouble since Peter Norton sold it to Symantec.&lt;/b&gt; &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;[/quote]

Hello!

Myself, I have never seen this, so I can only guess what has happened.
I googled for similar reports, and I found three workarounds: changing the settings for a certain chipset of your motherboard; adjusting the MTU value in your Windows installation; adding a certain command line option for Pegasus Mail.

(a) *** Motherboard ***
Similar problems have been reported if the motherboard has an nVidia chipset.
The workaround seems to be to disable the advanced optimization capability called "checksum offload". The setting can be found in the BIOS setup.
I found that piece of information in a newsgroup posting that you can read here.

(b) *** MTU ***
If you want to know what "MTU" means, you may read the Wikipedia explanation about it.

Some time ago, I read the following advice concerning how to adjust the MTU settings:
[quote]A POP3/SMTP-transmissions may fail if the MTU packet size is so large that a packet is fragmented.

In many cases, the receiving system router blocks the receiving servers "packets fragmented" response to the sending system using "MTU Discovery". These oversize packets are not accepted and so are resent. This results in a timeout, generally at the end of the message transmission but it can be anywhere in the process.
You need to reduce the MTU size. Windows defaults to a 1500 MTU and many routers and DSL connections need 1492. You might simply want to turn off the MTU Discovery operation.
You might want to get a copy of SG TCP Optimizer (at <http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php>). This little utility will allow you to test your MTU for maximum size without fragmentation against specific servers. It will also make it easy to adjust the MTU.[/quote]
(c) *** commandline option ***
I also read that the commandline option "-Z 1024" may help to get rid of that problem.
For example, if your current commandline (to start Pegasus Mail) is "c:\pmail\winpm-32.exe -MS", you simply add the "-Z 1024"-flag to it, so the commandline would be "c:\pmail\winpm-32.exe -MS -Z 1024".
The helpfile says that that flag "Use blocking sockets [and] may be needed for some defective WINSOCK implementations" (on the helpfile titled "Command-line options").
(I found that idea at <http://www.webservertalk.com/archive205-2006-3-1424938.html>).

As said above, I am only guessing. I cannot promise that these suggestions will work for you (because I have never had to use them myself), but I hope it helps.

Hello! Myself, I have never seen this, so I can only guess what has happened. I googled for similar reports, and I found three workarounds: changing the settings for a certain chipset of your motherboard; adjusting the MTU value in your Windows installation; adding a certain command line option for Pegasus Mail. &lt;U&gt;(a) *** Motherboard ***&lt;/U&gt; Similar problems have been reported if the motherboard has an nVidia chipset. The workaround seems to be to disable the advanced optimization capability called &quot;checksum offload&quot;. The setting can be found in the BIOS setup. I found that piece of information in a newsgroup posting that you can read &lt;A href=&quot;http://groups.google.com/group/comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows/browse_thread/thread/24f990f8b3476dd1/1c8dec47cb7105b7?hl=en&amp;lnk=st&amp;q=#1c8dec47cb7105b7&quot; mce_href=&quot;http://groups.google.com/group/comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows/browse_thread/thread/24f990f8b3476dd1/1c8dec47cb7105b7?hl=en&amp;lnk=st&amp;q=#1c8dec47cb7105b7&quot; target=&quot;_blank&quot;&gt;here&lt;/A&gt;. &lt;U&gt;(b) *** MTU ***&lt;/U&gt; If you want to know what &quot;MTU&quot; means, you may read the &lt;A href=&quot;http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_transmission_unit&quot; mce_href=&quot;http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_transmission_unit&quot; target=&quot;_blank&quot;&gt;Wikipedia explanation&lt;/A&gt; about it. Some time ago, I read the following advice concerning how to adjust the MTU settings: [quote]A POP3/SMTP-transmissions may fail if the MTU packet size is so large that a packet is fragmented. In many cases, the receiving system router blocks the receiving servers &quot;packets fragmented&quot; response to the sending system using &quot;MTU Discovery&quot;. These oversize packets are not accepted and so are resent. This results in a timeout, generally at the end of the message transmission but it can be anywhere in the process. You need to reduce the MTU size. Windows defaults to a 1500 MTU and many routers and DSL connections need 1492. You might simply want to turn off the MTU Discovery operation. You might want to get a copy of SG TCP Optimizer (at &amp;lt;&lt;A href=&quot;http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php&quot; mce_href=&quot;http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php&quot; target=&quot;_blank&quot;&gt;http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php&lt;/A&gt;&amp;gt;). This little utility will allow you to test your MTU for maximum size without fragmentation against specific servers. It will also make it easy to adjust the MTU.[/quote] &lt;U&gt;(c) *** commandline option ***&lt;/U&gt; I also read that the commandline option &quot;-Z 1024&quot; may help to get rid of that problem. For example, if your current commandline (to start Pegasus Mail) is &quot;c:\pmail\winpm-32.exe -MS&quot;, you simply add the &quot;-Z 1024&quot;-flag to it, so the commandline would be &quot;c:\pmail\winpm-32.exe -MS -Z 1024&quot;. The helpfile says that that flag &quot;Use blocking sockets [and] may be needed for some defective WINSOCK implementations&quot; (on the helpfile titled &quot;Command-line options&quot;). (I found that idea at &amp;lt;&lt;A href=&quot;http://www.webservertalk.com/archive205-2006-3-1424938.html&quot; mce_href=&quot;http://www.webservertalk.com/archive205-2006-3-1424938.html&quot; target=&quot;_blank&quot;&gt;http://www.webservertalk.com/archive205-2006-3-1424938.html&lt;/A&gt;&amp;gt;). As said above, I am only guessing. I cannot promise that these suggestions will work for you (because I have never had to use them myself), but I hope it helps.

I have a laptop and desktop, both operating Pmail 4.41 with identical settings.  2 days ago the desktop suddenly gave me the Connect failed 2726 message and has refused to send or receive since.  Today the laptop suddenly did the same.  Clearly some external program is messing things up!

I did notice when I rebooted the laptop just before seeing Pmail fail that a new version of Flash player was being installed.  Could this be the culprit?

I ran tcpspy on both systems and got the identical results:

process attached, command line='"C:\Program Files\peg\winpm-32.exe" '
socket (552) created [family=AF_INET, type=SOCK_STREAM, protocol=IPPROTO_IP, dwFlags=WSA_FLAG_OVERLAPPED]
socket (552) enabled its nonblocking mode
socket (552) connecting synchronously without blocking [name=85.92.73.196:110]
socket (552) could not connect - WSAEWOULDBLOCK (A non-blocking socket operation could not be completed immediately)
detaching from process, socket (552) closed; bytes received=0, bytes sent=0
process detached

Any ideas how I get round this?  I am now blocked out of Pegasus mail on both systems.  Thanks! 

&lt;P&gt;I have a laptop and desktop, both operating Pmail 4.41 with identical settings.&amp;nbsp; 2 days ago the desktop suddenly gave me the Connect failed 2726 message and has refused to send or receive since.&amp;nbsp; Today the laptop suddenly did the same.&amp;nbsp; Clearly some external program is messing things up!&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;I&lt;STRONG&gt; did notice when I rebooted the laptop just before seeing Pmail fail that a new version of Flash player was being installed.&amp;nbsp; Could this be the culprit?&lt;/STRONG&gt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&lt;STRONG&gt;I&lt;/STRONG&gt; ran tcpspy on both systems and got the identical results:&lt;/P&gt;&lt;FONT color=#000080 size=2&gt; &lt;P&gt;process attached, command line=&#039;&quot;C:\Program Files\peg\winpm-32.exe&quot; &#039; socket (552) created [family=AF_INET, type=SOCK_STREAM, protocol=IPPROTO_IP, dwFlags=WSA_FLAG_OVERLAPPED] socket (552) enabled its nonblocking mode socket (552) connecting synchronously without blocking [name=85.92.73.196:110] socket (552) could not connect - WSAEWOULDBLOCK (A non-blocking socket operation could not be completed immediately) detaching from process, socket (552) closed; bytes received=0, bytes sent=0 process detached&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;nbsp;Any ideas how I get round this?&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;I am now blocked out of Pegasus mail on both systems.&amp;nbsp; Thanks!&amp;nbsp; &lt;/P&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft