Community Discussions and Support
Confirmation of Reading

[quote user="Anne-Kzn"]I send out emails to my consultants using distribution lists. I also use a draft stationary letter. In both the distribution list and the draft letter, I have checked the 'confirm reading' box. I really need to know that the emails have been received, but I'm not getting any receipts. At a recent meeting I requested that these consultants must have their email set up to allow for the receipts to be sent back to me. Unfortunately most don't use Pegasus, and all said they were set up to send receipts, but for some reason the emails I'm sending do not seem to arrive requesting 'confirm reading' - from Outlook, anyway. I know it's working, because I've included myself on the distribution list so that I can keep a check on the emails, and Pegasus is definitely getting and responding to the request.

I don't know Outlook at all - is there something I'm doing wrong, or can anyone tell me why Outlook does not seem to respond to requests from Pegasus, or how I can get them to set Outlook up so that it does?[/quote]

Try adding this header under the "Special" tab and see what happens.  FWIW, this is what Outlook uses.

Disposition-Notification-To: <your email address>

Maybe nothing since many people turn off these responses as an anti-spam measure.

[quote user=&quot;Anne-Kzn&quot;]I send out emails to my consultants using distribution lists. I also use a draft stationary letter. In both the distribution list and the draft letter, I have checked the &#039;confirm reading&#039; box. I really need to know that the emails have been received, but I&#039;m not getting any receipts. At a recent meeting I requested that these consultants must have their email set up to allow for the receipts to be sent back to me. Unfortunately most don&#039;t use Pegasus, and all said they were set up to send receipts, but for some reason the emails I&#039;m sending do not seem to arrive requesting &#039;confirm reading&#039; - from Outlook, anyway. I know it&#039;s working, because I&#039;ve included myself on the distribution list so that I can keep a check on the emails, and Pegasus is definitely getting and responding to the request. &lt;p&gt; I don&#039;t know Outlook at all - is there something I&#039;m doing wrong, or can anyone tell me why Outlook does not seem to respond to requests from Pegasus, or how I can get them to set Outlook up so that it does?[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Try adding this header under the &quot;Special&quot; tab and see what happens.&amp;nbsp; FWIW, this is what Outlook uses. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;Disposition-Notification-To: &amp;lt;your email address&amp;gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Maybe nothing since many people turn off these responses as an anti-spam measure.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

I send out emails to my consultants using distribution lists. I also use a draft stationary letter. In both the distribution list and the draft letter, I have checked the 'confirm reading' box. I really need to know that the emails have been received, but I'm not getting any receipts. At a recent meeting I requested that these consultants must have their email set up to allow for the receipts to be sent back to me. Unfortunately most don't use Pegasus, and all said they were set up to send receipts, but for some reason the emails I'm sending do not seem to arrive requesting 'confirm reading' - from Outlook, anyway. I know it's working, because I've included myself on the distribution list so that I can keep a check on the emails, and Pegasus is definitely getting and responding to the request.

I don't know Outlook at all - is there something I'm doing wrong, or can anyone tell me why Outlook does not seem to respond to requests from Pegasus, or how I can get them to set Outlook up so that it does?

I send out emails to my consultants using distribution lists. I also use a draft stationary letter. In both the distribution list and the draft letter, I have checked the &#039;confirm reading&#039; box. I really need to know that the emails have been received, but I&#039;m not getting any receipts. At a recent meeting I requested that these consultants must have their email set up to allow for the receipts to be sent back to me. Unfortunately most don&#039;t use Pegasus, and all said they were set up to send receipts, but for some reason the emails I&#039;m sending do not seem to arrive requesting &#039;confirm reading&#039; - from Outlook, anyway. I know it&#039;s working, because I&#039;ve included myself on the distribution list so that I can keep a check on the emails, and Pegasus is definitely getting and responding to the request. &lt;P&gt; I don&#039;t know Outlook at all - is there something I&#039;m doing wrong, or can anyone tell me why Outlook does not seem to respond to requests from Pegasus, or how I can get them to set Outlook up so that it does?

I don't know about your particular problem but I spend a lot of time trying to stop our users and our servers from sending delivery confirmations out as these are a real boon to spammers, they confirm the address is real.   I am not keen either on automatic confirmation of reading messages for a similar reason.

I would get your consultants to set up a filter in Outlook to automatically respond specifically to messages from you when they are opened or even delivered.

A slight caveat of course is that confirmation of READING does not mean the messages have been read merely that they have been opened.   A reply which betrays some knowledge of the email content is the only way to be sure a message has been read!

&lt;p&gt;I don&#039;t know about your particular problem but I spend a lot of time trying to stop our users and our servers from sending delivery confirmations out as these are a real boon to spammers, they confirm the address is real.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; I am not keen either on automatic confirmation of reading messages for a similar reason.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I would get your consultants to set up a filter in Outlook to automatically respond specifically to messages from you when they are opened or even delivered. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;A slight caveat of course is that confirmation of READING does not mean the messages have been read merely that they have been opened.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; A reply which betrays some knowledge of the email content is the only way to be sure a message has been read! &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Thanks for the response. I live in the middle of nowhere, and email is my most important method of fast communication. And therefore it is very important for me to know that these emails have been received - if they can't be bothered actually to read them, I feel that's not my problem, I just need to know that the emails got there! I will ask that they set up the filter in Outlook, as you suggest, but I would prefer an automatic response.

Spammers have a lot to answer for - I'm not looking for a legal out, just a practical one. Mostly people need to get the emails and are not trying to deny receiving them - but it does stop people saying they didn't receive something when I can produce proof that SOMEONE opened it, which is another reason I prefer the confirmation of reading. It has just occured to me that perhaps Outlook would respond to a request for confirmation of delivery, which would be better than nothing. I will experiment.

Even if a little box pops up and asks whether the confirmation should be sent out, it would help me.

Anne

KwaZulu Natal, South Africa

Thanks for the response. I live in the middle of nowhere, and email is my most important method of fast communication. And therefore it is very important for me to know that these emails have been received - if they can&#039;t be bothered actually to read them, I feel that&#039;s not my problem, I just need to know that the emails got there! I will ask that they set up the filter in Outlook, as you suggest, but I would prefer an automatic response. &lt;p&gt; Spammers have a lot to answer for - I&#039;m not looking for a legal out, just a practical one. Mostly people need to get the emails and are not trying to deny receiving them - but it does stop people saying they didn&#039;t receive something when I can produce proof that SOMEONE opened it, which is another reason I prefer the confirmation of reading. It has just occured to me that perhaps Outlook would respond to a request for confirmation of delivery, which would be better than nothing. I will experiment. &lt;p&gt; Even if a little box pops up and asks whether the confirmation should be sent out, it would help me. &lt;p&gt; Anne KwaZulu Natal, South Africa
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft