Community Discussions and Support
HELP needed for a strange and frightening problem

[quote user="Ginhead"]1) when you choose an IMAP account, can you have a copy of all the emails on your hard drive ? and (2) How does it work with the trays and folders in Pegasus Mail, does this structure is "replicated" on the server ?[/quote]

Good point: the ability to have offline email is an advantage of POP and a disadvantage of webmail. You can, however, have your cake and eat it with IMAP. Most IMAP clients allow for some form of "disconnected IMAP" under some name of other. I tend to keep everything server-side only myself, but checking in the help file I see offline use is definitely possible with Pegasus.

From the Pegaus Help file:

[quote]As you use an IMAP profile online, Pegasus Mail will build up a cache of information from the remote IMAP mailbox. This means that information about folders, headers and messages is stored locally on your PC. Pegasus Mail allows you to access this locally cached data in offline mode, without requiring any kind of network connectivity to the remote host. When you mount an IMAP profile offline, you can see all the folders in the profile, and can read any messages that are present in the folder cache. In offline mode, the IMAP profile is read-only - you cannot delete, change or add messages or folders in the profile while offline.[/quote]

You can highlight the profile and select the "use offline" button in the little "Manage IMAP Profiles" window  to switch to offline mode.

As for subfolders, as I recall you would need to check the box "This server supports folders within folders"  to see subfolders in Pegasus. Otherwise, since the namespace on most IMAP servers is "INBOX", so that in most email client interfaces every other folder appears to be a subfolder of INBOX, you end up only seeing the inbox.

Question (2) -- You should be able to modify your folder structure in Pegasus as you wish. For example, with Gmail, the folder "Gmail" appears to be what Pegasus calls a "tray". (With most IMAP accounts, INBOX would appear to be a "tray"). I could easily add a folder to the "Gmail" folder/tray, and it would then be there in the interface in Apple Mail on my Mac or in whatever else I logged on with from wherever. In fact, Gmail is a special case, since it lacks a proper folder structure and instead creates a  "label" server-side to match any folder you create in your mail client, so that if you logged into Gmail's web interface you wouldn't see a folder but a new label ... but you get the idea. Changes to the folders you make in Pegasus are reflected on the IMAP server.

<p>[quote user="Ginhead"]1) when you choose an IMAP account, can you have a copy of all the emails on your hard drive ? and (2) How does it work with the trays and folders in Pegasus Mail, does this structure is "replicated" on the server ?[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Good point: the ability to have offline email is an advantage of POP and a disadvantage of webmail. You can, however, have your cake and eat it with IMAP. Most IMAP clients allow for some form of "disconnected IMAP" under some name of other. I tend to keep everything server-side only myself, but checking in the help file I see offline use is definitely possible with Pegasus. </p><p>From the Pegaus Help file:</p><p>[quote]As you use an IMAP profile online, Pegasus Mail will build up a cache of information from the remote IMAP mailbox. This means that information about folders, headers and messages is stored locally on your PC. Pegasus Mail allows you to access this locally cached data in offline mode, without requiring any kind of network connectivity to the remote host. When you mount an IMAP profile offline, you can see all the folders in the profile, and can read any messages that are present in the folder cache. In offline mode, the IMAP profile is read-only - you cannot delete, change or add messages or folders in the profile while offline.[/quote]</p><p>You can highlight the profile and select the "use offline" button in the little "Manage IMAP Profiles" window  to switch to offline mode.</p><p>As for subfolders, as I recall you would need to check the box "This server supports folders within folders"  to see subfolders in Pegasus. Otherwise, since the namespace on most IMAP servers is "INBOX", so that in most email client interfaces every other folder appears to be a subfolder of INBOX, you end up only seeing the inbox.</p><p>Question (2) -- You should be able to modify your folder structure in Pegasus as you wish. For example, with Gmail, the folder "Gmail" appears to be what Pegasus calls a "tray". (With most IMAP accounts, INBOX would appear to be a "tray"). I could easily add a folder to the "Gmail" folder/tray, and it would then be there in the interface in Apple Mail on my Mac or in whatever else I logged on with from wherever. In fact, Gmail is a special case, since it lacks a proper folder structure and instead creates a  "label" server-side to match any folder you create in your mail client, so that if you logged into Gmail's web interface you wouldn't see a folder but a new label ... but you get the idea. Changes to the folders you make in Pegasus are reflected on the IMAP server. </p>

Hi all !

This morning, as usual, I launched Pegasus Mail, and then unlike the other days, I was horrified by what appeared on the screen. But before I tell you what was the source of this horror, let me recall some definitions taken from the Pegasus Mail Manual :

Pegasus Mail allows you to organize your folders in a hierarchy – that is, to have folders within folders. To achieve this, it supports two kinds of folders: standard message folders, which contain messages, and trays which contain other folders. A tray can contain standard mail folders or other trays and there is no limit to depth to which you can "nest" in this manner. Trays are like subdirectories under Windows Explorer - they contain folders (like files) and other trays (like subdirectories) but cannot themselves contain messages – only folders can contain messages.

I have a lot of trays (really a lot) each containing two folders "received" and "sent", and this morning all my trays were gone (even the one created when you perform a search) leaving only the folders for my poor eyes to see. So what I have now is a huge collection of folders labelled "received" and "sent". Is there a way to get back my trays ? If not, would it be possible to integrate some sort of a self-backup feature of critical files in the next release ? Also, I have to mention that Pegasus Mail crashed yesterday evening. After I closed it, I received an error message saying that something was wrong with the memory ("memory cannot be read (or written)" or something). It happened before from time to time (with the same kind of error message of course), but when I restarted Pegasus Mail, it was always working fine (only I had to reenable the "summary" option). I hope there is a way to get back all the trays because otherwise I am good for a very long and tedious work. So please guys, HELP.

Thanks !

Ginhead. 

<p>Hi all !</p><p>This morning, as usual, I launched Pegasus Mail, and then unlike the other days, I was horrified by what appeared on the screen. But before I tell you what was the source of this horror, let me recall some definitions taken from the Pegasus Mail Manual :  </p><p style="font-style: italic;">Pegasus Mail allows you to organize your folders in a hierarchy – that is, to have folders within folders. To achieve this, it supports two kinds of folders: standard message folders, which contain messages, and trays which contain other folders. A tray can contain standard mail folders or other trays and there is no limit to depth to which you can "nest" in this manner. Trays are like subdirectories under Windows Explorer - they contain folders (like files) and other trays (like subdirectories) but cannot themselves contain messages – only folders can contain messages.</p><p>I have a lot of trays (really a lot) each containing two folders "received" and "sent", and this morning all my trays were gone (even the one created when you perform a search) leaving only the folders for my poor eyes to see. So what I have now is a huge collection of folders labelled "received" and "sent". Is there a way to get back my trays ? If not, would it be possible to integrate some sort of a self-backup feature of critical files in the next release ? Also, I have to mention that Pegasus Mail crashed yesterday evening. After I closed it, I received an error message saying that something was wrong with the memory ("memory cannot be read (or written)" or something). It happened before from time to time (with the same kind of error message of course), but when I restarted Pegasus Mail, it was always working fine (only I had to reenable the "summary" option). I hope there is a way to get back all the trays because otherwise I am good for a very long and tedious work. So please guys, HELP.</p><p>Thanks !</p><p>Ginhead. </p>

Restore the last backup from hierarch.pm while Pegasus Mail is closed.

Looks like that file has become corrupt. From what you write a window's error occurred on close down.

<p>Restore the last backup from hierarch.pm while Pegasus Mail is closed.</p><p>Looks like that file has become corrupt. From what you write a window's error occurred on close down.</p><p> </p>

-- Han van den Bogaerde - support@vandenbogaerde.net Member of Pegasus Mail Support Group. My own Pegasus Mail related web information: http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/

Thanks for the quick answer !

[quote user="Han v.d. Bogaerde"]

[/quote]

Where can I find this backup file ? Is it automatically created by the program ? 

<p>Thanks for the quick answer !</p><p>[quote user="Han v.d. Bogaerde"]</p>Restore the last backup from hierarch.pm while Pegasus Mail is closed.<p>[/quote]</p><p>Where can I find this backup file ? Is it automatically created by the program ? </p>

[quote user="Ginhead"]

Thanks for the quick answer !

[quote user="Han v.d. Bogaerde"]

[/quote]

Where can I find this backup file ? Is it automatically created by the program ? 

[/quote]

No, backup your computer is something you need to do on your own ..... and often!

[quote user="Ginhead"]<p>Thanks for the quick answer !</p><p>[quote user="Han v.d. Bogaerde"]</p>Restore the last backup from hierarch.pm while Pegasus Mail is closed.<p>[/quote]</p><p>Where can I find this backup file ? Is it automatically created by the program ? </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>No, backup your computer is something you need to do on your own ..... and often!</p><p> </p>

-- Han van den Bogaerde - support@vandenbogaerde.net Member of Pegasus Mail Support Group. My own Pegasus Mail related web information: http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/

Okay !

Well, I used to make a backup of my Pegasus Mail directory once every week, but as my confidence in the reliability of the program grew, I diminished the backup frequency, and eventually it fall down to once a month. I checked and my last backup has been made on August, I had too much work and simply forgot to make backups. That is a good lesson, one should never trust a computer or its programs too much, even such a remarkable piece of coding as Pegasus Mail.

This is going to be a tedious Sunday.

Bye !

Ginhead. 

<p>Okay !</p><p>Well, I used to make a backup of my Pegasus Mail directory once every week, but as my confidence in the reliability of the program grew, I diminished the backup frequency, and eventually it fall down to once a month. I checked and my last backup has been made on August, I had too much work and simply forgot to make backups. That is a good lesson, one should never trust a computer or its programs too much, even such a remarkable piece of coding as Pegasus Mail.</p><p>This is going to be a tedious Sunday.</p><p>Bye !</p><p>Ginhead. </p>

[quote user="Ginhead"]

Okay !

Well, I used to make a backup of my Pegasus Mail directory once every week, but as my confidence in the reliability of the program grew, I diminished the backup frequency, and eventually it fall down to once a month. I checked and my last backup has been made on August, I had too much work and simply forgot to make backups. That is a good lesson, one should never trust a computer or its programs too much, even such a remarkable piece of coding as Pegasus Mail.

This is going to be a tedious Sunday.

Bye !

Ginhead. 

[/quote]

Use that version of hierarch.pm, at least a large part of the tree will be ok then....

[quote user="Ginhead"]<p>Okay !</p><p>Well, I used to make a backup of my Pegasus Mail directory once every week, but as my confidence in the reliability of the program grew, I diminished the backup frequency, and eventually it fall down to once a month. I checked and my last backup has been made on August, I had too much work and simply forgot to make backups. That is a good lesson, one should never trust a computer or its programs too much, even such a remarkable piece of coding as Pegasus Mail.</p><p>This is going to be a tedious Sunday.</p><p>Bye !</p><p>Ginhead. </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> Use that version of hierarch.pm, at least a large part of the tree will be ok then....</p><p>  </p>

Indeed, I got back a large part of the tree, so it is still better than none of it. Anyway, this little incident has forced me to somehow think more carefully about the organization of my emails, and I was wondering if, given the corruption possibilities of the hierarchy file, it would not be better to minimize the number of trays. This way, even if the hierarchy file is corrupted, it will be less tedious to build the tree and easier for Pegasus Mail to rebuild it from scratch.

<p>Indeed, I got back a large part of the tree, so it is still better than none of it. Anyway, this little incident has forced me to somehow think more carefully about the organization of my emails, and I was wondering if, given the corruption possibilities of the hierarchy file, it would not be better to minimize the number of trays. This way, even if the hierarchy file is corrupted, it will be less tedious to build the tree and easier for Pegasus Mail to rebuild it from scratch. </p>

[quote user="Ginhead"]Anyway, this little incident has forced me to somehow think more carefully about the organization of my emails ...[/quote]

And how about the protocol?  I still have some POP accounts, but I feel far more comfortable with IMAP.  It's not just that you can see the same mail on any machine: AFAIK, even accessing a POP mailbox from different locations is not really recommended.  And, over and above that, what's on the IMAP server is a back-up in itself. (And you no longer have to worry about mailbox conversions, if you use different machines with different OSes that run different programs.)

As for backing-up, yes, I do it.  On my main machine, once a day I have a back-up run automatically to an external hard drive, and once a week I run rsync manually to a different drive.  That's besides keeping copies of files like address books, bookmarks, calendars, RSS and podcast OPML files, on the machine and on a little USB key.  Never mind trust in your programs, I believe the average life of a hard drive is a mere three years -- and it's a "bathtub curve".

But those are on-site backups. What if your cold-water tank leaks and drenches your desk?  What if you have a burglary? -- might not the thief take any external hard drives as well as the machine?  Really, to be safe, one should back up to more than one external hard drive and take it off-site somewhere. Either that, or perhaps backup important files to an online service like Amazon S3.

But, if you use IMAP, you already have a copy of your mail off-site.

These days there are even free IMAP services. Fastmail has a limited free service; Bluebottle also offers free IMAP, as does AOL. And now Google's Gmail is using IMAP. (In fact, out of the main free services, only Yahoo and Microsoft's Hotmail are still not offering IMAP access.)

Digression:

Unfortunately, Google hasn't got instructions for configuring Pegasus for IMAP, although it has several clients listed:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=12760

I can't see a contact email for Google there, but maybe one of us in the community here could find one and offer screenshots, because I think this is an opportunity lost for Pegasus, because potential users might think, "I'd better use one that's on the list".

Anyway, I'd seriously suggest considering IMAP. I guess there's a worry for some about privacy issues with mail held remotely, but email is no more private than a postcard unless one uses PGP or S-MIME anyway.

I'm sure most people would rather use their ISP's mails service than a third-party provider.  (Or at least most people who are using a real email client not taking webmail). But I really don't know how ISPs continue to get away with offering mail services that don't cut the mustard. Most ISPs are not only offering the older POP protocol but aren't offering a secure connection over SSL/TLS either.  If you're using interval-checking that means your username and password are being sent in the clear every ten minutes or so: depending on the interval, that could add up to tens or hundreds of times over a day, and with open wireless access points it becomes an unrecognized and uncomfortable issue.

<p>[quote user="Ginhead"]Anyway, this little incident has forced me to somehow think more carefully about the organization of my emails ...[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>And how about the protocol?  I still have some POP accounts, but I feel far more comfortable with IMAP.  It's not just that you can see the same mail on any machine: AFAIK, even accessing a POP mailbox from different locations is not really recommended.  And, over and above that, what's on the IMAP server is a back-up in itself. (And you no longer have to worry about mailbox conversions, if you use different machines with different OSes that run different programs.) </p><p>As for backing-up, yes, I do it.  On my main machine, once a day I have a back-up run automatically to an external hard drive, and once a week I run rsync manually to a different drive.  That's besides keeping copies of files like address books, bookmarks, calendars, RSS and podcast OPML files, on the machine and on a little USB key.  Never mind trust in your programs, I believe the average life of a hard drive is a mere three years -- and it's a "bathtub curve".</p><p>But those are [B]on-site[/B] backups. What if your cold-water tank leaks and drenches your desk?  What if you have a burglary? -- might not the thief take any external hard drives as well as the machine?  Really, to be safe, one should back up to more than one external hard drive and take it off-site somewhere. Either that, or perhaps backup important files to an online service like Amazon S3.</p><p> But, if you use IMAP, you already have a copy of your mail off-site.</p><p>These days there are even free IMAP services. Fastmail has a limited free service; Bluebottle also offers free IMAP, as does AOL. And now Google's Gmail is using IMAP. (In fact, out of the main free services, only Yahoo and Microsoft's Hotmail are still not offering IMAP access.)  </p><p>********************************   Digression:</p><p>Unfortunately, Google hasn't got instructions for configuring Pegasus for IMAP, although it has several clients listed:</p><p>  http://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=12760</p><p>  I can't see a contact email for Google there, but maybe one of us in the community here could find one and offer screenshots, because I think this is an opportunity lost for Pegasus, because potential users might think, "I'd better use one that's on the list". </p><p>******************************** </p><p>Anyway, I'd seriously suggest considering IMAP. I guess there's a worry for some about privacy issues with mail held remotely, but email is no more private than a postcard unless one uses PGP or S-MIME anyway.</p><p>  I'm sure most people would rather use their ISP's mails service than a third-party provider.  (Or at least most people who are using a real email client not taking webmail). But I really don't know how ISPs continue to get away with offering mail services that don't cut the mustard. Most ISPs are not only offering the older POP protocol but aren't offering a secure connection over SSL/TLS either.  If you're using interval-checking that means your username and password are being sent in the clear every ten minutes or so: depending on the interval, that could add up to tens or hundreds of times over a day, and with open wireless access points it becomes an unrecognized and uncomfortable issue.  </p>

Hi Mike !

Well, as you pointed out, there are several advantages to cross the line and adopt the IMAP protocol, and I considered it myself once but left the idea because there were some "dark areas" I did not have time to light up. It seems you are fairly acquainted with this protocol, so here are the couple things I would like to know : (1) when you choose an IMAP account, can you have a copy of all the emails on your hard drive ? and (2) How does it work with the trays and folders in Pegasus Mail, does this structure is "replicated" on the server ?

For the time being, I have set up some sort of a mixed system : I use the POP protocol but with the option of leaving the messages on the server. This way, I always have a copy of my emails with me, which can be useful when you are in a place with no internet connection (like in a train for instance), and I am protected against emails loss. Also, I am a long time user of the POP protocol so I am a little reluctant to change my habits and move to the IMAP (but sometimes, changing your habits could be useful like the time when I switched to Pegasus Mail after a lot of unsuccessful trials).

Cheers !

Ginhead. 

<p>Hi Mike !</p><p>Well, as you pointed out, there are several advantages to cross the line and adopt the IMAP protocol, and I considered it myself once but left the idea because there were some "dark areas" I did not have time to light up. It seems you are fairly acquainted with this protocol, so here are the couple things I would like to know : (1) when you choose an IMAP account, can you have a copy of all the emails on your hard drive ? and (2) How does it work with the trays and folders in Pegasus Mail, does this structure is "replicated" on the server ?</p><p>For the time being, I have set up some sort of a mixed system : I use the POP protocol but with the option of leaving the messages on the server. This way, I always have a copy of my emails with me, which can be useful when you are in a place with no internet connection (like in a train for instance), and I am protected against emails loss. Also, I am a long time user of the POP protocol so I am a little reluctant to change my habits and move to the IMAP (but sometimes, changing your habits could be useful like the time when I switched to Pegasus Mail after a lot of unsuccessful trials).</p><p>Cheers !</p><p>Ginhead. </p>

Hello !

I am almost done in rebuilding my tree, and it will feel good when it's over. In the meantime, there are some lines I do not understand in the hierarchy file :

0,0,"2D2D2387:E:\\n:NEW","6897881:Ma boîte à lettr",Name_Unavailable
0,0,"RK5GFA3P:321B:a²","2D2D2387:E:\\n",Name_Unavailable

I think they are useless, but I am not sure whether I should erase those lines.

<p>Hello !</p><p>I am almost done in rebuilding my tree, and it will feel good when it's over. In the meantime, there are some lines I do not understand in the hierarchy file :</p><p> </p><p><i>0,0,"2D2D2387:E:\\n:NEW","6897881:Ma boîte à lettr",Name_Unavailable 0,0,"RK5GFA3P:321B:a²","2D2D2387:E:\\n",Name_Unavailable </i></p><p> </p><p>I think they are useless, but I am not sure whether I should erase those lines.  </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft