Pegasus Mail Suggestions
Suggestions and improvements

David, aren't you participating in MSDN through the incentive called: Empower?, for a very reasonable fee (about 300$ annually) you get access to all msdn subscriptions including all languages of XP and Vista etc.

David, aren't you participating in MSDN through the incentive called: Empower?, for a very reasonable fee (about 300$ annually) you get access to all msdn subscriptions including all languages of XP and Vista etc.

Hi all.

The idea of a forum and a Blog is great. Finally we can discuss defferent issues regarding pmail and surely learn from one another!

Here we go... 

• Bidi support - this suggestion is actually something VERY important for those (as myself) who correspond with people using the Hebrew language. Unfortunately I use, along with pmail, Thunderbird or OE but a fix for this problem is a thing I'm expecting for years now...will this be the right moment?
  • IMAP - on OE and Tbird there is the possibility of "flagging" an e-mail message. On our department we use a common mailbox visible to all the employees, and whenever a person handles a message he "flaggs" it so that all the others see the message has been taken care of. As I said this feature exists on both OE and Tbird...

Bye,

Elio 

<p>Hi all.</p><p>The idea of a forum and a Blog is great. Finally we can discuss defferent issues regarding pmail and surely learn from one another!</p><p>Here we go... </p><ul><li>Bidi support - this suggestion is actually something VERY important for those (as myself) who correspond with people using the Hebrew language. Unfortunately I use, along with pmail, Thunderbird or OE but a fix for this problem is a thing I'm expecting for years now...will this be the right moment?</li><li>IMAP - on OE and Tbird there is the possibility of "flagging" an e-mail message. On our department we use a common mailbox visible to all the employees, and whenever a person handles a message he "flaggs" it so that all the others see the message has been taken care of. As I said this feature exists on both OE and Tbird...</li></ul><p>Bye,</p><p>Elio </p><p> </p>

I also suffer from the buggy Hebrew support in PMail. In fact I wish to offer my assistance to PMail's developers in fixing the language support for Hebrew users. I guess that it would also help other RTL languages such as Arabic.

Uzi

for e-mail contact: uzi4varsitesQuzipaz.com (replace Q with @)

[quote user="Elio"]Bidi support - this suggestion is actually something VERY important for those (as myself) who correspond with people using the Hebrew language. Unfortunately I use, along with pmail, Thunderbird or OE but a fix for this problem is a thing I'm expecting for years now...will this be the right moment?[/quote]

<p>I also suffer from the buggy Hebrew support in PMail. In fact I wish to offer my assistance to PMail's developers in fixing the language support for Hebrew users. I guess that it would also help other RTL languages such as Arabic.</p><p>Uzi  for e-mail contact: uzi4varsitesQuzipaz.com (replace Q with @)</p><p> </p><p>[quote user="Elio"]Bidi support - this suggestion is actually something VERY important for those (as myself) who correspond with people using the Hebrew language. Unfortunately I use, along with pmail, Thunderbird or OE but a fix for this problem is a thing I'm expecting for years now...will this be the right moment?[/quote]</p>

[quote user="uzi"]

I also suffer from the buggy Hebrew support in PMail.

[/quote]

Now let's be reasonable here: something can only be "buggy" if there has actually been a claim made that it works in the first place. I have *never* made any claim that Pegasus Mail would work with any language or script that uses non-western orthography - not because I don't think it's important, but because it's so far outside my personal skill set that I am not competent to attempt to implement it. If non-western orthographic scripts such as Hebrew or Kanji actually work at all in Pegasus Mail, then that is almost entirely by accident.

I have no access to systems running Hebrew Windows (or other NWO versions of Windows), and even if I did, I don't have the language skills necessary to be able to use or navigate them.

I apologize profusely for my personal failings here, but one can only be good at a certain number of things, and this is outside my personal set. I do not have a solution for you, nor am I even sure how it might be possible to proceed.

-- David --

[quote user="uzi"]<p>I also suffer from the buggy Hebrew support in PMail. </p>[/quote] Now let's be reasonable here: something can only be "buggy" if there has actually been a claim made that it works in the first place. I have *never* made any claim that Pegasus Mail would work with any language or script that uses non-western orthography - not because I don't think it's important, but because it's so far outside my personal skill set that I am not competent to attempt to implement it. If non-western orthographic scripts such as Hebrew or Kanji actually work at all in Pegasus Mail, then that is almost entirely by accident. I have no access to systems running Hebrew Windows (or other NWO versions of Windows), and even if I did, I don't have the language skills necessary to be able to use or navigate them. I apologize profusely for my personal failings here, but one can only be good at a certain number of things, and this is outside my personal set. I do not have a solution for you, nor am I even sure how it might be possible to proceed. -- David --

Well, I'm sorry to hear that, although I admire the fact you don't even try to promise things you probably can not do.

I don't have the skills needed to help you with approaching this issue (i.e programming skills).

I must say that from a quick glance over the newsgroup dedicated to Pegasus Mail there are several users who would appreciate a Bidi support for Pmail.

If Pmail will someday support extensions for the application maybe someone will be kind enough to write an extension meant to support Bidi language in Pegasus Mail.

Bye,

Elio

<p>Well, I'm sorry to hear that, although I admire the fact you don't even try to promise things you probably can not do. </p><p>I don't have the skills needed to help you with approaching this issue (i.e programming skills). </p><p>I must say that from a quick glance over the newsgroup dedicated to Pegasus Mail there are several users who would appreciate a Bidi support for Pmail.</p><p>If Pmail will someday support extensions for the application maybe someone will be kind enough to write an extension meant to support Bidi language in Pegasus Mail.</p><p>Bye,</p><p>Elio  </p>

[quote user="David Harris"]
Now let's be reasonable here: something can only be "buggy" if there has actually been a claim made that it works in the first place. I have *never* made any claim that Pegasus Mail would work with any language or script that uses non-western orthography - not because I don't think it's important, but because it's so far outside my personal skill set that I am not competent to attempt to implement it. If non-western orthographic scripts such as Hebrew or Kanji actually work at all in Pegasus Mail, then that is almost entirely by accident.[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification.

All I meant is that it what even though it is possible, to read and write in Hebrew, there are a few annoyances and problems there.

[quote]I have no access to systems running Hebrew Windows (or other NWO versions of Windows), and even if I did, I don't have the language skills necessary to be able to use or navigate them.[/quote]

Certainly the fact that you don't know any of those languages is a problem, and surely no one can expect you to learn this just in order to improve BIDI support. The OS support is less of a problem, as any installation cd of XP offers BIDI support, and it is very easy to switch between languages.

[quote]I apologize profusely for my personal failings here, but one can only be good at a certain number of things, and this is outside my personal set. I do not have a solution for you, nor am I even sure how it might be possible to proceed.[/quote]

Of course, I can only appreciate and thank you for what you've already done in Pegasus Mail.

As for how it might be possible to proceed, this is perhaps where I can offer my own help, since I'm very familiar with both message standards, and Hebrew standards. I have no problems spending some time on it. It doesn't have to be tomorrow. Just that if at any point in time you decide to try - I would be glad to offer assistance.

Uzi

<p>[quote user="David Harris"] Now let's be reasonable here: something can only be "buggy" if there has actually been a claim made that it works in the first place. I have *never* made any claim that Pegasus Mail would work with any language or script that uses non-western orthography - not because I don't think it's important, but because it's so far outside my personal skill set that I am not competent to attempt to implement it. If non-western orthographic scripts such as Hebrew or Kanji actually work at all in Pegasus Mail, then that is almost entirely by accident.[/quote]</p><p> Thanks for the clarification. </p><p>All I meant is that it what even though it is possible, to read and write in Hebrew, there are a few annoyances and problems there.</p><p> [quote]I have no access to systems running Hebrew Windows (or other NWO versions of Windows), and even if I did, I don't have the language skills necessary to be able to use or navigate them.[/quote] </p><p>Certainly the fact that you don't know any of those languages is a problem, and surely no one can expect you to learn this just in order to improve BIDI support. The OS support is less of a problem, as any installation cd of XP offers BIDI support, and it is very easy to switch between languages.</p><p>[quote]I apologize profusely for my personal failings here, but one can only be good at a certain number of things, and this is outside my personal set. I do not have a solution for you, nor am I even sure how it might be possible to proceed.[/quote]</p><p>  Of course, I can only appreciate and thank you for what you've already done in Pegasus Mail.</p><p>As for how it might be possible to proceed, this is perhaps where I can offer my own help, since I'm very familiar with both message standards, and Hebrew standards. I have no problems spending some time on it. It doesn't have to be tomorrow. Just that if at any point in time you decide to try - I would be glad to offer assistance. Uzi </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft