Community Discussions and Support
Pegasus Mail message sometimes corrupt with "???" and sometimes empty

Tested:

Now I did install on another PC (Pentium 4, 2.6 Ghz,

also with a Gigabit speed Network card) with also Windows Vista

Ultimate with the data (Mail) on the standalone server Synology.
After retrieving messages I see immediately SAME problem as before.
This PC is very slow when there are messages bigger then 0.5 mb, deleten about 15 messages takes about 30 seconds.
Last August this PC had a Windows XP Professional installation with the

data (Mail) on the standalone server Synology, this was working fine

for the last few years.

Also tested:

Via my notebook with Windows XP Professional with the (Mail) on the standalone server Synology.
No problem at all.

Next test:

I did test now with the data on one of my harddisk inside the PC, so the program AND the data (Mail) are on the harddisk.
So

far, it looks okay, sometimes in preview mode the Pegasus program makes

the screen blinking a little when it are large messages, like HTML with

pictures, like Pegasus had trouble to show me the message.

Next test:

Everything

on a USB stick, after that my USB stick was not reachable and "not

responding" I lost a lot of empty folders, after this I did stop the

test.

Temporally (carefully) conclusion:

The combination Pegasus / Windows Vista Ultimate / Synology Server Network drive is not working correct.
More data is saved on my Synology Server network drive, like Word documents, databases used by a Book program and DVD program.
My Mozilla Firefox profile is also on this Synology Server Network drive and reachable from my different PC's.

I

made a lot of test in advice of the SysOP from pegasusmail.nl, he did

advice me to place an article here in the Community site.

<p>Tested:</p><p>Now I did install on another PC (Pentium 4, 2.6 Ghz, also with a Gigabit speed Network card) with also Windows Vista Ultimate with the data (Mail) on the standalone server Synology. After retrieving messages I see immediately SAME problem as before. This PC is very slow when there are messages bigger then 0.5 mb, deleten about 15 messages takes about 30 seconds. Last August this PC had a Windows XP Professional installation with the data (Mail) on the standalone server Synology, this was working fine for the last few years. </p><p>Also tested:</p><p>Via my notebook with Windows XP Professional with the (Mail) on the standalone server Synology. No problem at all.</p><p>Next test:</p><p>I did test now with the data on one of my harddisk inside the PC, so the program AND the data (Mail) are on the harddisk. So far, it looks okay, sometimes in preview mode the Pegasus program makes the screen blinking a little when it are large messages, like HTML with pictures, like Pegasus had trouble to show me the message.</p><p>Next test:</p><p>Everything on a USB stick, after that my USB stick was not reachable and "not responding" I lost a lot of empty folders, after this I did stop the test.</p><p>Temporally (carefully) conclusion:</p><p>The combination Pegasus / Windows Vista Ultimate / Synology Server Network drive is not working correct. More data is saved on my Synology Server network drive, like Word documents, databases used by a Book program and DVD program. My Mozilla Firefox profile is also on this Synology Server Network drive and reachable from my different PC's.</p><p>I made a lot of test in advice of the SysOP from pegasusmail.nl, he did advice me to place an article here in the Community site.</p>

Hello.

PROBLEM:
This problem is now for about 3 months, since I think begin October.
When I retrieve messages, sometimes one message is corrupt.
In the headlines of this email I see the next sentences:
To: ???  
Subject: -  

I see my messages always in the preview mode from Pegasus.
Sometimes the message is also completely empty, only one binary character is inside.

When I write messages, always automatically Pegasus save a copy for me in the Copy Self folder.
Inside this folder sometimes also the same problem as I describe for retrieving messages.
So some messages I made and send out is sometimers empty with the strange header as I describe before.

The messages are correct on my several provider servers, because I am using Pop Peeper to scan headers from
about 10 email addresses (from myself and my wife), so I can easily check and delete them.

I am using about 8 pop definitions inside one mailbox (using this already a long time).

WHAT DID I TRY AND DO:
Finally I did install a complete new Pegasus Mail on my PC and a complete new mailbox.
I downloaded the latest version from David Harris site and install this.
I did install the newest BearHTML 3.1.3.
Still the same problem, even when I send myself an email, sometimes it is corrupted and sometimes good.
I am also using the filter system form Pegasus, I filter messages with "Rules applied when folder is opened..."
While retrieving the messages are automatically moved to different folders.
I don't think this filtering is a problem, special because some Copy Self messages are also corrupted.

I send myself now a testmail, after checking with Pop Peeper I see it is ok, I retrieve it with Pegasus, it is moved
to another folder and when I look in it, it is corrupted.
Then I send again a new testmail, after checking with Pop Peeper I see it is ok, I retrieve it with Pegasus, it is moved
to another folder and when I look in it, it is okay.
You can see that reproducing is very difficult.

WHAT DO I USE (these I use already for some time):
HARDWARE:
Intel (R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz with 4 mb memory (3mb used)
Synology Server where I have my mailbox folders (already for more than a year, reachable from my home network)

SOFTWARE:
Pegasus Mail 4.41 for Windows
BearHTML 3.1.3
Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit (since about August/September)
AVG Antivirus 7.5 Professional Edition
Pop Peeper 3.0.1.0 (for checking headers, cleaning emails)

My wife has almost the same configuration as I have, also her mailbox is on the same Synology server.
The only different is that she is using Windows XP Professional.
And a big different that she has NO problems at all.

So far I can see is maybe Windows Vista Ultimate guilty??
Maybe an update of Windows Vista??

Please help.
Thanks, Dolf van Munster

Hello. PROBLEM: This problem is now for about 3 months, since I think begin October. When I retrieve messages, sometimes one message is corrupt. In the headlines of this email I see the next sentences: From: ???   To: ???   Subject: -   I see my messages always in the preview mode from Pegasus. Sometimes the message is also completely empty, only one binary character is inside. When I write messages, always automatically Pegasus save a copy for me in the Copy Self folder. Inside this folder sometimes also the same problem as I describe for retrieving messages. So some messages I made and send out is sometimers empty with the strange header as I describe before. The messages are correct on my several provider servers, because I am using Pop Peeper to scan headers from about 10 email addresses (from myself and my wife), so I can easily check and delete them. I am using about 8 pop definitions inside one mailbox (using this already a long time). WHAT DID I TRY AND DO: Finally I did install a complete new Pegasus Mail on my PC and a complete new mailbox. I downloaded the latest version from David Harris site and install this. I did install the newest BearHTML 3.1.3. Still the same problem, even when I send myself an email, sometimes it is corrupted and sometimes good. I am also using the filter system form Pegasus, I filter messages with "Rules applied when folder is opened..." While retrieving the messages are automatically moved to different folders. I don't think this filtering is a problem, special because some Copy Self messages are also corrupted. I send myself now a testmail, after checking with Pop Peeper I see it is ok, I retrieve it with Pegasus, it is moved to another folder and when I look in it, it is corrupted. Then I send again a new testmail, after checking with Pop Peeper I see it is ok, I retrieve it with Pegasus, it is moved to another folder and when I look in it, it is okay. You can see that reproducing is very difficult. WHAT DO I USE (these I use already for some time): HARDWARE: Intel (R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz with 4 mb memory (3mb used) Synology Server where I have my mailbox folders (already for more than a year, reachable from my home network) SOFTWARE: Pegasus Mail 4.41 for Windows BearHTML 3.1.3 Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit (since about August/September) AVG Antivirus 7.5 Professional Edition Pop Peeper 3.0.1.0 (for checking headers, cleaning emails) My wife has almost the same configuration as I have, also her mailbox is on the same Synology server. The only different is that she is using Windows XP Professional. And a big different that she has NO problems at all. So far I can see is maybe Windows Vista Ultimate guilty?? Maybe an update of Windows Vista?? Please help. Thanks, Dolf van Munster

I came here to report a similar problem.. However, I AM using Windows XP (Home Edition), and I've noticed the problem for a long, long time now.

At first, I figured it was just glitch, until it happened several times. Then I figured it was a bug in PMail or more likely, the Windows Memory Subsystem (PMail isn't the only program that seems to have suddenly zero data problems under Windows, but it does seem to happen more often in PMail..) Either of which would receive a fix or update pretty quickly (they usually do if the problem is a common/widespread bug; And if it's not a common/widespread problem, it's more likely something with my specific machine and not a bug.) But when the problem continued, I started keeping note of the when and what effects, etc.

I have made the following observations over time:

* The problem almost always occurs in conjunction with mail filtering rules which move or modify the message and/or it's status flags/codes. At one time, I had a new mail rule which added a dummy header to every mail, so a Perl script I wrote could process the mail externally and edit the dummy header without corrupting the PMail files/indexes. Then I got mailflooded by a spammer, and noticed when processing a large number of messages (over 1000!), EVERY single mail being processed became totally blank; Headers and body both got nixed. This was prior to any processing by my Perl script--I noticed it because my Perl script was smart enough to realize something was wrong, panic, abort everything and give me a "ARGH! SOMETHING SERIOUSLY @%$#ED UP! ABORTING!" messagebox (All programmers do this, don't they!? ;-))

* It seems to happen more often with new mail (where every new message is a file in the users mail directory), and almost never in other mailboxes (where the mail is a single indexed file of messages.)

* Tonight, it happened again; Only this time, I did not have any rules filters other than a simple one that moved everything from the new mail folder to a "waiting to be filtered" folder. (I rewrote my Perl script after my first fiasco so it would download my mail itself, do it's own processing and archive the original, then fake being a POP3 server to "feed" the mail to PMail for reading/further processing.) My filtering folder is then set up so I can go thru, pick out the mail I want to read now, then the filters kick in when I close the mailbox to process, sort and filter the remaining mail. At any rate, the problem this time was strange; After moving new mail to my processing folder, but before I did anything to activate the filtering rules, I noticed that all my messages were blank, with To, From, Subject, Date, etc all showing "???" in the preview. Oddly, the message index/list still showed all the information, only the preview pane showed the "???"s. (My previous experience, both panes showed "???"s.) Another difference this time, when I shut down PMail and restarted it, everything was fine and dandy. Not a single message was lost or blank. So whatever the problem, it was only in whatever was in memory--the files seemed unaffected.

It would seem that somewhere along the line of message handling, and most likely only while in memory, something gets corrupted and a message is lost/blanked. As long as nothing causes PMail to write/modify/delete any files with the message(s), they'll be safe. (I.E.: when moving a message, it must write the message to the new location, then delete it from the old location. But if it's losing the message in transit thru memory and writing a blank message to the new location, then deleting the original location, it ends up with a blank message.)

All-in-all, though, since it seems (from reading this site's blogs and stuff) that PMail is being heavily re-written for v5, this whole issue may become moot with the next release. I'm still not even sure if it's truly a PMail issue, or something within the Windows' core that's causing the problem (it does seem odd that I started noticing this problem about 4-5 months ago.. But I'd not changed or updated PMail for almost a year..). I would definitely suggest the next version of PMail add a couple "sanity" checks, such as verifying the message was written correctly at the new location before purging/deleting the old location, or other similar checks anytime a message is written or purged. Maybe even an option to turn them on/off, if performance and speed overhead of the extra checks become an issue.

BTW, to the O.P.: I would suggest you do something like I've done. You can install Mercury and have it pull all your Internet mail to a local folder, do additional processing and filtering with Mercury's abilities, and even save an archived copy of the original before doing anything else (so you'll have it just in case something goes wrong). Then you can have PMail connect to Mercury to "download" your mail for reading. The setup possibilities between PMail and Mercury are almost limitless (that is one of the main reasons I've used, promoted and advocated PMail almost since it was first released!)

C. M.

I came here to report a similar problem.. However, I AM using Windows XP (Home Edition), and I've noticed the problem for a long, long time now. At first, I figured it was just glitch, until it happened several times. Then I figured it was a bug in PMail or more likely, the Windows Memory Subsystem (PMail isn't the only program that seems to have suddenly zero data problems under Windows, but it does seem to happen more often in PMail..) Either of which would receive a fix or update pretty quickly (they usually do if the problem is a common/widespread bug; And if it's not a common/widespread problem, it's more likely something with my specific machine and not a bug.) But when the problem continued, I started keeping note of the when and what effects, etc. I have made the following observations over time: * The problem almost always occurs in conjunction with mail filtering rules which move or modify the message and/or it's status flags/codes. At one time, I had a new mail rule which added a dummy header to every mail, so a Perl script I wrote could process the mail externally and edit the dummy header without corrupting the PMail files/indexes. Then I got mailflooded by a spammer, and noticed when processing a large number of messages (over 1000!), EVERY single mail being processed became totally blank; Headers and body both got nixed. This was prior to any processing by my Perl script--I noticed it because my Perl script was smart enough to realize something was wrong, panic, abort everything and give me a "ARGH! SOMETHING SERIOUSLY @%$#ED UP! ABORTING!" messagebox (All programmers do this, don't they!? ;-)) * It seems to happen more often with new mail (where every new message is a file in the users mail directory), and almost never in other mailboxes (where the mail is a single indexed file of messages.) * Tonight, it happened again; Only this time, I did not have any rules filters other than a simple one that moved everything from the new mail folder to a "waiting to be filtered" folder. (I rewrote my Perl script after my first fiasco so it would download my mail itself, do it's own processing and archive the original, then fake being a POP3 server to "feed" the mail to PMail for reading/further processing.) My filtering folder is then set up so I can go thru, pick out the mail I want to read now, then the filters kick in when I close the mailbox to process, sort and filter the remaining mail. At any rate, the problem this time was strange; After moving new mail to my processing folder, but before I did anything to activate the filtering rules, I noticed that all my messages were blank, with To, From, Subject, Date, etc all showing "???" in the preview. Oddly, the message index/list still showed all the information, only the preview pane showed the "???"s. (My previous experience, both panes showed "???"s.) Another difference this time, when I shut down PMail and restarted it, everything was fine and dandy. Not a single message was lost or blank. So whatever the problem, it was only in whatever was in memory--the files seemed unaffected. It would seem that somewhere along the line of message handling, and most likely only while in memory, something gets corrupted and a message is lost/blanked. As long as nothing causes PMail to write/modify/delete any files with the message(s), they'll be safe. (I.E.: when moving a message, it must write the message to the new location, then delete it from the old location. But if it's losing the message in transit thru memory and writing a blank message to the new location, then deleting the original location, it ends up with a blank message.) All-in-all, though, since it seems (from reading this site's blogs and stuff) that PMail is being heavily re-written for v5, this whole issue may become moot with the next release. I'm still not even sure if it's truly a PMail issue, or something within the Windows' core that's causing the problem (it does seem odd that I started noticing this problem about 4-5 months ago.. But I'd not changed or updated PMail for almost a year..). I would definitely suggest the next version of PMail add a couple "sanity" checks, such as verifying the message was written correctly at the new location before purging/deleting the old location, or other similar checks anytime a message is written or purged. Maybe even an option to turn them on/off, if performance and speed overhead of the extra checks become an issue. BTW, to the O.P.: I would suggest you do something like I've done. You can install Mercury and have it pull all your Internet mail to a local folder, do additional processing and filtering with Mercury's abilities, and even save an archived copy of the original before doing anything else (so you'll have it just in case something goes wrong). Then you can have PMail connect to Mercury to "download" your mail for reading. The setup possibilities between PMail and Mercury are almost limitless (that is one of the main reasons I've used, promoted and advocated PMail almost since it was first released!) C. M.

What Casteele said, really I can imagine that I have probably the same problem.

Since end of August I have a new PC, a Dell Dimension 9200. I can not really remember when the problem started, but I will not surprised when it started since I have a new PC.

Mostly the problem appear with retrieving messages, but sometimes also when I make a new message and after clicking on the send button, it will copied to the Copy Self folder and corrupted.

Thank you for the idea to install Mercury, but really then I will lost the flexibility of Pegasus Mail. With Mercury I have to start this program and retrieve messages, then I have to start Pegasus for retrieving messages again, then from Mercury. I am using Pegasus Mail from about 1998, and really in old mailboxes I have still all my messages, so Pegasus Mail is as archive also excellent.

So, I hope more people will respond with their ideas, because really I want to stay with Pegasus Mail.

Message to David Harris: Maybe I can participate the beta program, so I can see the program still exist?

<p>What Casteele said, really I can imagine that I have probably the same problem.</p><p>Since end of August I have a new PC, a Dell Dimension 9200. I can not really remember when the problem started, but I will not surprised when it started since I have a new PC.</p><p>Mostly the problem appear with retrieving messages, but sometimes also when I make a new message and after clicking on the send button, it will copied to the Copy Self folder and corrupted.</p><p>Thank you for the idea to install Mercury, but really then I will lost the flexibility of Pegasus Mail. With Mercury I have to start this program and retrieve messages, then I have to start Pegasus for retrieving messages again, then from Mercury. I am using Pegasus Mail from about 1998, and really in old mailboxes I have still all my messages, so Pegasus Mail is as archive also excellent. </p><p>So, I hope more people will respond with their ideas, because really I want to stay with Pegasus Mail.</p><p> </p><p>Message to David Harris: Maybe I can participate the beta program, so I can see the program still exist? </p>

Actually, Mercury is designed to, and does a wonderful job of integrating with PMail, and actually makes PMail *more* flexible. It's not a replacement for PMail.. In fact, Mercury isn't a mail client at all, it's a mail server. You could even let Mercury run in the background, never stopping it (and therefore never having to start it, if you set it up to start when you start your computer).. It does not use very much CPU or memory.

But I certainly agree that it is sometimes a hassle to set something like that up, as well as dealing with the occasional problems that cause it to fail and go down.. More so if you're not very familiar with setting up a mail server, heh. But the main idea wasn't so much to replace what you're familiar with, but to put some kind of "safety net" in place so when problems do appear, you won't suddenly find half your mailbox got permanently deleted with no hope of recovery.. Kind of like making regular backups of your hard drive, just in case..

In any case, I hope if this is indeed a problem with PMail, they can find and fix it for the next release. Even with the bugs I've encountered over the years, PMail is still my favourite mail client, and even it's worst bugs aren't half as bad as I've seen with certain other clients (I've been known to actually let my tongue slip and cuss at people who even hint that I should use Outlook.. :-x)

Good luck, and merry Christmas!

C. M.

<p>Actually, Mercury is designed to, and does a wonderful job of integrating with PMail, and actually makes PMail *more* flexible. It's not a replacement for PMail.. In fact, Mercury isn't a mail client at all, it's a mail server. You could even let Mercury run in the background, never stopping it (and therefore never having to start it, if you set it up to start when you start your computer).. It does not use very much CPU or memory.</p> <p>But I certainly agree that it is sometimes a hassle to set something like that up, as well as dealing with the occasional problems that cause it to fail and go down.. More so if you're not very familiar with setting up a mail server, heh. But the main idea wasn't so much to replace what you're familiar with, but to put some kind of "safety net" in place so when problems do appear, you won't suddenly find half your mailbox got permanently deleted with no hope of recovery.. Kind of like making regular backups of your hard drive, just in case..</p> <p>In any case, I hope if this is indeed a problem with PMail, they can find and fix it for the next release. Even with the bugs I've encountered over the years, PMail is still my favourite mail client, and even it's worst bugs aren't half as bad as I've seen with certain other clients (I've been known to actually let my tongue slip and cuss at people who even hint that I should use Outlook.. :-x)</p> <p>Good luck, and merry Christmas! C. M.</p>

Now even when I try to move a message from the one folder to another folder, it is sometimes corrupted.

Still testting all kind of configurations !!

Headline is:

Windows Vista Ultimate
Data (Mail) is on a standalone server (Synology)
All connected with an 1000 Mbits Network speed, so PC has an 1000 Mbits card, Router is 1000 MBits and Server is an 1000 Mbits.
PC has Serial ATA drives. 

<p>Now even when I try to move a message from the one folder to another folder, it is sometimes corrupted. </p><p>Still testting all kind of configurations !!</p><p>Headline is:</p><p>Windows Vista Ultimate Data (Mail) is on a standalone server (Synology) All connected with an 1000 Mbits Network speed, so PC has an 1000 Mbits card, Router is 1000 MBits and Server is an 1000 Mbits. PC has Serial ATA drives. </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft