Developer's musings
Ever Onwards.

Well. 2008... Amazing.

It's been 2008 for about 23 hours now, and I admit I'm still wondering what happened to 2007 - it seemed to be over almost before it began.

Many years ago, Queen Elizabeth, in one of her Christmas Broadcasts, described the year she had just had as her "Annus Horribilis", a term that has been widely reused, recycled and abused since then. Although I don't much like resorting to cliché, I have to admit that her little latinate touch was just the right term to describe the way I feel about 2007. Put simply, 2007 was, overall, not a great year for me - it started out badly, and got worse. BUT, and this is a big but, towards the end of the year, it also began to get better, and I now allow myself to feel some quiet hope that the road ahead is finally clearer and less treacherous.

2007 was a year of rebuilding for me - in almost every way. For Pegasus Mail and Mercury, the year was about massive reconstruction, followed by a process of consolidation - making right, then making good. Although frustrating, many of the processes I've had to go through with both products this year were necessary and unavoidable, but with them largely complete, the way is open for smoother development in future. Expect to see more releases in 2008 than there have been in the last two years combined, as we finally begin moving towards Pegasus Mail v5, and as Mercury gets more and more robust and refined.

No blog reflecting on 2007 would be complete without mentioning the work of Peter Stromblad in setting up this community: I believe this site has created a wonderful forum for both programs, and its existence has certainly eased the burden of technical support (which was getting very hard to cope with in previous years) on me and my team. I realize that I've been quiet for the last couple of months, after an initial burst of postings - I expect to get back into more regular attendance in the course of the next few weeks.

Finally, I'd like to thank everyone who has believed in Pegasus Mail and Mercury during the hardest year of their long lives, but especially my beta test team, without whom I simply could not function at all.

So then, in these final minutes of January 1st 2008, I'd like to offer you all my warmest wishes for the New Year: let's get this show on the road - I'm looking forward to enjoying the journey. :-)

Cheers!

-- David --

Well. 2008... Amazing. It's been 2008 for about 23 hours now, and I admit I'm still wondering what happened to 2007 - it seemed to be over almost before it began. Many years ago, Queen Elizabeth, in one of her Christmas Broadcasts, described the year she had just had as her "Annus Horribilis", a term that has been widely reused, recycled and abused since then. Although I don't much like resorting to cliché, I have to admit that her little latinate touch was just the right term to describe the way I feel about 2007. Put simply, 2007 was, overall, not a great year for me - it started out badly, and got worse. BUT, and this is a big but, towards the end of the year, it also began to get better, and I now allow myself to feel some quiet hope that the road ahead is finally clearer and less treacherous. 2007 was a year of rebuilding for me - in almost every way. For Pegasus Mail and Mercury, the year was about massive reconstruction, followed by a process of consolidation - making right, then making good. Although frustrating, many of the processes I've had to go through with both products this year were necessary and unavoidable, but with them largely complete, the way is open for smoother development in future. Expect to see more releases in 2008 than there have been in the last two years combined, as we finally begin moving towards Pegasus Mail v5, and as Mercury gets more and more robust and refined. No blog reflecting on 2007 would be complete without mentioning the work of Peter Stromblad in setting up this community: I believe this site has created a wonderful forum for both programs, and its existence has certainly eased the burden of technical support (which was getting very hard to cope with in previous years) on me and my team. I realize that I've been quiet for the last couple of months, after an initial burst of postings - I expect to get back into more regular attendance in the course of the next few weeks. Finally, I'd like to thank everyone who has believed in Pegasus Mail and Mercury during the hardest year of their long lives, but especially my beta test team, without whom I simply could not function at all. So then, in these final minutes of January 1st 2008, I'd like to offer you all my warmest wishes for the New Year: let's get this show on the road - I'm looking forward to enjoying the journey. :-) Cheers! -- David --
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft